Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:03:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 309
Total: 309

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: thrush  (Read 6865 times)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
thrush
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »
I've had a thrush situation going on for a while.  Finally got in to see the doc and got a scrpt for Fluconazole.

Anyone with experience with this know how long before I see any improvement in symptoms.  It's rather uncomfortable and I'm eager to be done with it.  The script is for twice daily dosing for two weeks, but I am hoping the symptoms disappear before that.

Never taken an antifungal before,  so I have no reference.

Thanks.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: thrush
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »

It worked very fast for me ! Was noticing a difference within days of taking it. Don't miss any doses, if you don't notice an improvement contact the doctor. Thrush can be tricky and stubborn for some to treat.

I was able to clear mine with one prescription.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:33:37 pm »
Was under a week for me, maybe half that.  I usually swallowed it instead of letting it dissolve in my mouth too since I was taking a crapload of pills at the time.  (Not sure if they're all the dissolving tabs or not).

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 07:47:12 pm »
I've had a thrush situation going on for a while.  Finally got in to see the doc and got a scrpt for Fluconazole.

Anyone with experience with this know how long before I see any improvement in symptoms.  It's rather uncomfortable and I'm eager to be done with it.  The script is for twice daily dosing for two weeks, but I am hoping the symptoms disappear before that.

Never taken an antifungal before,  so I have no reference.

Thanks.

ojo....It won't be long before its all gone, just like jre said, do not skip doses...my experience with thrush, tho, its been a long time I haven't had it...don't miss it a bit, good luck...hugs    ojo

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:53 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Much appreciated.

I hope I clear it with one prescription.   
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Much appreciated.

I hope I clear it with one prescription.

ojo    you will   bmanfly...just wash out you are not taking antibiotics, I supposed your doc knows...ojo

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »
It worked fairly fast for me but my thrush as far as I recall (this was 15 years ago) wasn't advanced to where it was painful. In fact I was surprised when I was informed that I had it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 02:12:05 pm »
Bman,..

I was checking my old prescription for Diflucan, and it was filled on July 16th,2003.  :o

It was the 100mg tab, and a 15 day supply. With this prescription, I took two tabs the first day, followed by 1 tab until finished.

I was also on this for Esophageal candidiasis.  I have never been on it again !

I also checked a journal I kept back then, and I wrote that " I am feeling much better after 36 hours" ! 

Good luck, hope you get feeling better soon---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 07:19:15 pm »
Bman,..

I was also on this for Esophageal candidiasis.  I have never been on it again !

I also checked a journal I kept back then, and I wrote that " I am feeling much better after 36 hours" ! 

Good luck, hope you get feeling better soon---Ray

I like this.  Hopefully I'm almost there.

Bertrand Russell

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:25:51 pm »
I didn't even realize I had thrush.  I had been having fungal problems on my skin,  and then around my mouth.  When I went to the dermatologist she asked to look inside my mouth and said,  "you've got thrush".  She want me to see my I.D. doc rather than having her prescribe anything.

I don't think I would have know at that point that I had thrush.  It did start to get much worse after the dermatologist visit but before I got in to see my I.D. doc.

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:32:27 pm »
Doesn't sound fun but I hope the thrush fairy decides to move elsewhere fast bman. Never had it myself.... that I know of anyway. ha.  ???

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:04:10 pm »
Eleven days in and the burning pain continues.  grrrrr.    I don't think it should take this long. 

Bertrand Russell

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:59:10 pm »
Eleven days in and the burning pain continues.  grrrrr.    I don't think it should take this long.

I would get back in touch with the doctor, as soon as possible. Somethings not right.

Where is this burning pain?  In the mouth, throat,... ?

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:10 pm »
Yeah,  I left a message with my docs office today.  Haven't heard back yet.

The pain is mostly on my tongue.  Some pain on the roof of my mouth and throat too.

Funny thing is that my tongue looks pretty normal.  But it hurts like hell.   :(

Bertrand Russell

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:48 pm »
I just examined this more closely

Bman,..

I was checking my old prescription for Diflucan, and it was filled on July 16th,2003.  :o

It was the 100mg tab, and a 15 day supply. With this prescription, I took two tabs the first day, followed by 1 tab until finished.

my doc wrote my script for 400 mg.  I wonder if I'm just experiencing a side effect from the high dose of the meds?

Bertrand Russell

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »

ojo    sorry to hear that, I would call the doctor....I used to get thrush, my doc will give me MYCELEX and yoila....I hope gets better    ojo

Offline MrMcPoz

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
Hi.  Hopefully this is no longer a current issue but maybe this will be helpful.

I've only had a sore tounge a few times and not a big deal but sometimes have redness in the corner of my lips.  That's how I know the Candida is getting out of control.  I had fungal meningitis and took Fluconazole for years and have a stockpile of leftover pills so whenever I notice the redness I just take one and it goes away. 

Eating too much sugar is a primary cause of the problem because it feeds the yeast and makes it get out of control.  So I'm mindful about that.  Last week my Mom gave me a big pile of soft chocolate chip cookies :D and they were irresistable and I ate 5 or 7 right away and then finished them up over the next day and bam! I got the red lip corners.  I'm generally not overly interested in sweet things so I don't have to worry about it but sometimes I do.  (random side note, I recently learned that craving sweet things can be a sign of protein deficiency and I started increasing my protein intake with muscle building drink powder.  I think it works.)

For me it's best to eat with oral anti-fungals because they're hard on your stomach and other organs.

We always have Candida but our body keeps the colony subdued unless our system is out of balance or for other reasons.  It helps to take pro-biotics.  So even if the Thrush symptoms are gone you'll still benefit from being mindful about making sure you're not encouraging them to take charge again.

I have a dim recollection that the Candida creates sugar craving to feed itself, don't remember how the mechanism works bio-chemically but remember feeling awe that the bug had that much power over my behavior.

Be well!  I'm Andrew

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.