Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:52:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Required interview with state health department  (Read 39262 times)

Offline wooffman99

Required interview with state health department
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
I was notified today that I have to go in for an interview with the State Health Dept, in Indiana. I am not looking forward to this. Any pointers? What can I expect?
01-10 HIV+
CD4 680, VL 8500
06-10
cd4 650, VL 2100
01-11
CD4 530, VL 27,000
06-11
CD4 580, CD4% 26, VL 47,000
Started Tuvada, Reyataz/Norvir
09-11
CD4 480, CD4% 28, VL 110
Switched to Complera 05-12
01-13
CD4 600 VL ND

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Required interview with state health department
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:18:36 pm »
they'll probably tell you that you have a communicable (sexually transmitted) serious (possibly terminal) disease that will need treatment. They'll also talk to you about informing partners. Perhaps they may ask for names of people that you have had sexual contact with so that they can notify those people that they need to be tested as they have come into contact with an anonymous person infected by hiv (that would be you). (that's the procedure I went through in NC with an STD, and in OH and SC for having HIV)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:28:34 pm »

I had one after I was diagnosed.  It really wasn't a big deal.  They wanted to know who I had been having sex with, but I didn't give them any names.  I told them I wanted to notify them myself, figured it would go over better coming from me seeing that both were my ex-wives.  You really have nothing to worry about, they won't come out with handcuffs or anything drastic like that.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:42:59 pm »
Yus, sounds like straight forward contact tracing is the order of the day here.

MtD

Offline chguy78

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »
I live in NC and a representative actually came to my house to speak with me.  It was very straightforward and she was very pleasant.  We talked about her role and she indicated that she goes out mainly for those who are uninformed and to help them with getting treatment, if necessary, and to discuss the myths associated with HIV and other conditions.

She did ask about former sex partners.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:08 am »
I live in NC and a representative actually came to my house to speak with me.  It was very straightforward and she was very pleasant.  We talked about her role and she indicated that she goes out mainly for those who are uninformed and to help them with getting treatment, if necessary, and to discuss the myths associated with HIV and other conditions.

She did ask about former sex partners.

Wow, I'm glad this hasn't happened to me...yet at least.  I'm wondering if you knew this lady was coming to your house, or did she just show up?  What would have happened if someone else was at your house who didn't know your status?  They would have been very curious what this lady wanted.  Was it your idea to meet at your house? 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:47 am »

Gee Teddy, we ain't talking about the KGB here.  Relax buddy...  if friends are that nosy you can always tell them to go fly a kite! :)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
I wouldn't sweat it...for their records.

Is this more popular in certain parts of the country?  When I tested poz no one said boo (in NY) and everyon I have asked who has tested positive in the last 5-6 years that I know in NJ/NY/CT have never been contacted.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:25:52 am »
I'm wondering if you knew this lady was coming to your house, or did she just show up?
in NC, OH, and SC, I had the option to meet them or them to meet me.

This is a common practice for all STDs, not just HIV. It's one of the myraid ways to try to lessen the impact of these diseases on a society by finding and treating the infected, and warning the uninfected about prevention methods.

Frankly after the runaround I was getting from the York County SC health dpt, I made the agent drive the 20 miles to my house, where she had to talk to me on the front porch over the sound of the barking dogs. :D It only seemed fair since they didn't pay for my time or gas when I had driven over to their office and the agent wasn't even in the day we had set up the appointment. >:( Of course, as I've known I was poz for nearly 20 yrs, been on meds 18, and got my original diagnosis in Ohio, it was all a waste of her time. When she started to tell me about how serious HIV was, and I cut her off by telling her I knew very well how serious it was as it had already killed most of my friends and I had buried two partners because of it, the look on her face was priceless. The moral to this story is to never waste Leatherman's valuable time ;)  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:27 am »

Gee Teddy, we ain't talking about the KGB here.  Relax buddy...  if friends are that nosy you can always tell them to go fly a kite! :)

Teddy is actually my legal name, but people only ever use Teddy with affection  :-*..lol.  I realize it probably is a good thing.  I just had thoughts of someone showing up at my door with a house-full of guests.  I have some friends who would never ask anything personal and others who want to know how much I make, how much I paid for the house, how many times a day I poop, whether I spit or swallow.  They would be the ones bending their ears to listen.

I'm glad to hear it seems to be something arranged and not where they just show up.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:00 am »
Teddy is actually my legal name, but people only ever use Teddy with affection  :-*..lol.  I realize it probably is a good thing.  I just had thoughts of someone showing up at my door with a house-full of guests.  I have some friends who would never ask anything personal and others who want to know how much I make, how much I paid for the house, how many times a day I poop, whether I spit or swallow.  They would be the ones bending their ears to listen.

I'm glad to hear it seems to be something arranged and not where they just show up.

Contact tracing is a delicate business. It's really only successful with a willing victim client, so just turning up or being hard assed is not the best way forward. Health care workers usually go out of their way to be kind and understanding in these situations.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:48 am »
It's a consequence of becoming infected. I ignored the health departments request to come in for a little sit down after I tested positive. That was until they informed me the sheriff's department would be only too happy to provide me with transportation. After several hours of being water boarded, I still refused to give up the names of my partners. I contacted them myself after copious amounts of grog. I did think the health department sky writing "HIV infected" over my house was a bit over the top.

Offline kev72

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:26:32 am »
Hello Gang,

Forgive me if I am missing something when reading these posts. Should I expect to be contacted by anyone? I live in NJ and was under the impression that only my ID doctor who tested me and my insurance company was aware of my diagnosis. I am not on state or federal assistance. Thanks for any
input. Kev

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:40:32 am »
How do these people come across that you are positive.  Is the medical history not a privacy issue at all?
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:53 am »
As soon as you have a confirmatory Western Blot they are informed that you tested positive.  Then they begin trying to contact you every day.  I dodged their calls for a while because I didn't want to disclose to anyone (even someone who already knew).

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 10:49:20 am »
I live in NJ and was under the impression that only my ID doctor who tested me and my insurance company was aware of my diagnosis. I am not on state or federal assistance.
when you tested HIV positive, your name was reported to the state health dpt, so that the CDC can track the amount of people in the US infected which in turn helps the federal gov't decide how to best allocate resource monies to the states most in need.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/reporting.htm

Surveillance data on HIV infections provide a more complete picture of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the need for prevention and care services than does the picture provided by AIDS data alone. As of April 2008, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 5 dependent areas—American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands—use the same confidential name-based reporting system to collect HIV and AIDS data.

here's a link about the general issue of STD contact tracing http://std.about.com/od/prevention/f/contacttracing.htm which is often used for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis. TB management also includes contact tracing.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:45 am »
Hello Gang,

Forgive me if I am missing something when reading these posts. Should I expect to be contacted by anyone? I live in NJ and was under the impression that only my ID doctor who tested me and my insurance company was aware of my diagnosis. I am not on state or federal assistance. Thanks for any
input. Kev

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=32109.msg394128#msg394128

Seems like only the redneck states harass people.  I've never, ever been contacted either (New York and Pennsylvania)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
As soon as you have a confirmatory Western Blot they are informed that you tested positive.  Then they begin trying to contact you every day.  I dodged their calls for a while because I didn't want to disclose to anyone (even someone who already knew).

Did you ever answer their calls?  Be careful, I hear that in MS they still use devices like the Pear of Anguish to extract confessions from teh gays.

I don't think that they ever attempted to reach me, but I wonder whether this practice takes place in Miami. They'd be too busy with all the new infections that this city has on a yearly basis.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:02:03 am by Rev. Moon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:45 am »
I did actually.  I remember being so weak I could barely walk because of the anemia and walking into the guys office after sitting in a waiting room with sick kids while I had a tiny CD4 and later considering myself lucky for not catching anything airborne while I was in there.  It was annoying considering I didn't have anything of note to tell him.  I also had to go back once or twice.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:18 am »
Seems like only the redneck states harass people.
They'd be too busy with all the new infections that this city has on a yearly basis.
I'm wondering if population vs case amount isn't the reason some states contact pozzies personally and others don't, rather than the color-shading of their necks.  ;) Regardless though, never fear, your name is in big brother's database. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:12 am »
which in turn helps the federal gov't decide how to best allocate resource monies to the states most in need.
I checked on this right after I moved to SC in Sept 09 (though I can't find the link right now), but once you're reported in one state your "case" always stays with that state. In other words, because I was first reported thru OH, Ohio will always count me as a case of HIV (and AIDS) in Stark County for determining their resources. Though I now live in York County, SC, South Carolina doesn't count me when they list amount of HIV+ people in that state. That's why it was a total waste of everyone's time for the SC health dpt to visit me. (that whole incident was due to the overzealousness of the newly hired case manager in charge of my case) OH will get more federal resources because my count stays in that state, and SC will not be able to up their count and isn't eligible for extra federal monies because of my relocation to this state. Of course, my ASO can list me as a client and an HIV case, which results in the fuzzy numbers of actual HIV/AIDS cases vs CDC listed amounts.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline kev72

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:58 am »
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=32109.msg394128#msg394128
Seems like only the redneck states harass people.  I've never, ever been contacted either (New York and Pennsylvania)

Thanks for the link Phil, I was gonna say, Christ its 2010 for god sakes... Being new to all of this has taken a lot of adjusting along with some paranoia. All I would need is someone showing up at my door LOL.

Offline kev72

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:54:52 am »
when you tested HIV positive, your name was reported to the state health dpt, so that the CDC can track the amount of people in the US infected which in turn helps the federal gov't decide how to best allocate resource monies to the states most in need.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/reporting.htm

Surveillance data on HIV infections provide a more complete picture of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the need for prevention and care services than does the picture provided by AIDS data alone. As of April 2008, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 5 dependent areas—American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands—use the same confidential name-based reporting system to collect HIV and AIDS data.

here's a link about the general issue of STD contact tracing http://std.about.com/od/prevention/f/contacttracing.htm which is often used for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis. TB management also includes contact tracing.

Thank You as well Leatherman. I just saw your post. Very informative info.

Offline metekrop

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »
I don't think it is for bad.  This country now starts to accept pozzies from outside world leave alone of its own.  May be they might need to do something helpfully.  So respect their invitation and get interview.   ;D
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »
name based reporting started about 1990, so this has been going on with HIV for 20 yrs. STD contact tracing/partner notification has been going on even longer (since the 40s). Even if it is a bit intrusive and has privacy issues, this technique has been proven to help quell the spread of these diseases. Plus it's a sight better than in the early nineties (in 1992, even after tracking was implemented) when there was talk of interment camps :o as a means to squash the spread of HIV.

http://www.yuckabee.com/hiv.html
It was back in 1992 that Mike Huckabee made the suggestion of putting HIV patients into special detention centers. Huckabee said that little attention should be paid to the "civil rights" of people with AIDS.

I found an interesting article from 95 discussing HIV partner notification under the Clinton administration. It seems back then states were just as hit-n-miss as today as to how they actually conducted contact tracing procedures. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2596_v123/ai_16399937/ "Why the opposition to AIDS contact tracing?"
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »
Philadelphia didn't do name based reporting until late 2005.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BrotherDavid

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 02:44:55 pm »
I don't think it is for bad.  This country now starts to accept pozzies from outside world leave alone of its own.  May be they might need to do something helpfully.  So respect their invitation and get interview.   ;D

I agree that that offering counseling can educate many who do not have access to the resources such as this site etc. I am sure they are not trying to segregate us based on our status.

Kev72, I can understand being new to this does take adjusting and there is sometimes a stigma one feels when getting used to the fact that we have this attached to us. It goes away in time. I can remember going to an out of the way Labcorp just because I did not want the gals that draw my blood locally to know my status. Imagine? That's how paranoid I was....

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 05:09:02 pm »
I live in Indiana and was never contacted, unless this is something they've started doing after '89.  Also, when I lived in Michigan and had a couple STD's, I was never contacted either. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline chguy78

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »
Wow, I'm glad this hasn't happened to me...yet at least.  I'm wondering if you knew this lady was coming to your house, or did she just show up?  What would have happened if someone else was at your house who didn't know your status?  They would have been very curious what this lady wanted.  Was it your idea to meet at your house? 

She called and we made an appointment.  I do, however, think she had tried to just "drop by" at first but could never catch up with me.  It wasn't my idea for her to come to my house but I certainly didn't want to take the time out of my day to go to her office either.  That aside, it was very straightforward and she certainly didn't grill me.

Offline chguy78

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »
I agree that that offering counseling can educate many who do not have access to the resources such as this site etc. I am sure they are not trying to segregate us based on our status.

The social worker that came to my house explained exactly why she was there and she said they come out for any type of STD, TB, etc. She also said that a main part of their program is to explain to people how their respective conditions can be transmitted and, (she said) most importantly, how they CANNOT be transmitted.  She said this was especially important in the lesser educated households.  I wasn't put off by the visit and she told me that I'd never hear from her again.  I haven't. 

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 05:36:23 pm »
I was contacted by the local health lady(nurse) here in the county...she was very much more concerned about the possible TB issue  ( false positive )   which apparently   did not show the final negative retest..... she offered free meds and transport to a clinic....  i thanked her and declined.  she barely mentioned the HIV....
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »
Philadelphia didn't do name based reporting until late 2005.
in the footnote section
4.On October 18, 2002, Pennsylvania initiated confidential name-based HIV infection reporting in all areas except Philadelphia. Code-based reporting was implemented in Philadelphia in March 2004, and the switch to name-based reporting was made in October 2005.
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=11&ind=559

I live in Indiana and was never contacted, unless this is something they've started doing after '89.
Indiana started name-based reporting in July 1988 (http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=11&ind=559) and they do do partner notifications for STDs (http://www.in.gov/isdh/23721.htm)

Michigan recently announced this about partner notification for STDs
Michigan will soon be using this Internet resource for STD partner notification forgonorrhea and chlamydia, joining the twelve states already online at www.inspot.org.
and has been doing STD partner notification since 1978
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4vhksd4553n0yifuzuuoetfd))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-333-5114a

obviously many states give partner notification low priority and rarely do it, even though it's in the law; while others are very conscientious and do it with every case.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:33 pm »
iIndiana started name-based reporting in July 1988 (http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=11&ind=559) and they do do partner notifications for STDs (http://www.in.gov/isdh/23721.htm)

Michigan recently announced this about partner notification for STDs
Michigan will soon be using this Internet resource for STD partner notification forgonorrhea and chlamydia, joining the twelve states already online at www.inspot.org.
and has been doing STD partner notification since 1978
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4vhksd4553n0yifuzuuoetfd))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-333-5114a

obviously many states give partner notification low priority and rarely do it, even though it's in the law; while others are very conscientious and do it with every case.

I didn't say I minded the "reporting," I was just never contacted in Indiana, nor Michigan, for either the HIV or the other STD's I had in the past.  Don't know why, don't really care.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »
I didn't say I minded the "reporting," I was just never contacted in Indiana, nor Michigan, for either the HIV or the other STD's I had in the past.  Don't know why, don't really care.
Don't feel alone. I was diagnosed in 84 and wasn't contacted by the State until 2005 when I was in the ICU at OSU. They just brought a bunch of informational forms to advise me what types of programs were available and asked if there was anyone that I needed for them to contact wished me well and that was it. They did set up my SSI and Medicaid for me.

Offline wooffman99

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 07:31:34 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the info and the discussion. I go in tomorrow morning. With your help I'm ready. ;)
01-10 HIV+
CD4 680, VL 8500
06-10
cd4 650, VL 2100
01-11
CD4 530, VL 27,000
06-11
09-11
CD4 480, CD4% 28, VL 110
01-13
CD4 600 VL ND

Offline metekrop

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »
They did set up my SSI and Medicaid for me.

This is cool, my dear.
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline Seeker

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »
I'm sure if varies a great deal from state to state...here in NC I knew my name would go on a registry but no one told me someone from the Public Health Dept would be talking with me....and was still dealing with the diagnosis when I came home from work one day to find someone sitting in their car in front of my condo... Would have certainly prefered to have been contacted and an appointment set up...Needless to say I felt a bit ambushed--and can't believe people are generally very forthcoming about their sexual history and naming names and all that.....I did have to sign a form that I would get a TB test, not engage in unprotected sex and inform my partners of my status....
tested positive Aug 2009
Sept 2009   CD4  198  VL  13,090
started Atripla
Oct 2009     248   VL  820
Feb 10        237   VL  undetectable
Jun 10        341        un
Oct 10        281        un
Mar 11       344        un
Jan 12        334    VL  30
Jun 12        347    VL  20
Nov 12       349   VL  undetectable
Apr 13        340       
Oct 13        387       
Apr 14        356       
Oct 14        389       
Nov 14   changed to Triumeq
Feb 15       410       
Aug 15      349       
Feb 16      399        
Aug 16      351       
Feb 17      420        
Aug 17      409       
Feb 18      386        
Aug 18     384       
Feb 19      335        
Aug 19      424       
Feb 20      391       
Aug 20      311

Offline wooffman99

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »
It went fine. I had to sign a IN state form that I had been notified and talked to about my status. They wanted me to get a Hep A+B vaccine shot. (I have already) and schedule a TB test. Mostly to tell me to notify potential and past sexual partners that I am HIV+. She asked names but I told them I have already notified my partners since my last test. She gave me lots of advice and numbers of support groups and contacts. I am very glad it is over. I am also glad I went before they sent someone to my house.
01-10 HIV+
CD4 680, VL 8500
06-10
cd4 650, VL 2100
01-11
CD4 530, VL 27,000
06-11
09-11
CD4 480, CD4% 28, VL 110
01-13
CD4 600 VL ND

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »
She asked names but I told them I have already notified my partners since my last test. She gave me lots of advice and numbers of support groups and contacts. I am very glad it is over.
Glad it went well for you and glad the rep had advice and contacts for you. Local support is always a good thing. ;) You might not need it now; but it helps to know who to contact when or if anything comes up.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline moratorium79

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 11:55:12 pm »
This scared the hell out of me when I was notified that I needed to talk with somone from the health department.  Part of the reason was that all I received was a basic letter that said something along the lines of "An issue has arisen regarding your health.  Please call this number blah blah blah" only a little more harrowing than that.  I couldn't imagine what in the hell they'd want to tell me since I already knew I was positive, so I daydreamed about having an untreatable strain and they had to break the news to me officially.  Of course, that was me being a hypochondriac.

They did mine over the phone.  The man was nice enough, asked me how I thought I contracted it (I fought the urge to say that I must have drank out of the same cup as someone who was positive) and then asked several invasive questions about my sex life and the people I may have put at risk.  I deflected most of them by just saying I was uncomfortable giving out names.

Other than that, it was painless.  I assumed it had to do with statistics, but I see from this thread that there's more to it than that.  On the flip side, having a job like the man who contacted me would be horrible in my estimation.  I wouldn't like to pry into someone's life while they were trying to deal with their new disease no matter what statistic was at stake.  Oh well.
*these are not times for the weak of heart*

Offline redbull

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »
I posted about my and my partners situations with this a while back.  My interviewer from the health dept just showed up at one of my HIV appts one day, no warning, but she was very nice and it was no big deal.  My partner and I both live in VA but live 2 hours apart.  His was not so pleasant.

She insisted on coming to his house and insisted on names of who he had been with and etc.  By the time she left he called me and was scared to death and so upset.  He had given her my name and my # but told her I was the reason he had been tested anyway,  I found out first I was poz, then told him.  She still insisted on talking to me and kept saying we were part of an "investigation". 

She finally called me and I tried to be pleasant at first but then she started with this giving her names bull crap.  I told her I had already spoken with the H.D. and she said she needed further information for her "investigation". 

That just set me off.  I have insurance I have no ties with the H.D.  they aren't paying for anything for  me and I told her so.  I told her it was because of crap like this that people don't want to get tested and if she ever called me or my partner back again my lawyer will be contacting her and I would sue her for harassment.  I was actually alot more rude than what I am explaining here but the way I see it is,  its none of their damn business. We never heard from them again.

You should choose to answer what questions you want to and if they don't like it than f*&# 'em.

If you wish to see the best in others, show the best of yourself.

5/20/09  tested poz
6/2/09  CD4-94    VL-380,000
8/09   Allergic reaction to bactrim
9/09/09  started Atripla
5/10    cd4 315  vl undetectable
3/11    cd4 400  undetectable
6/11.   Cd4 520. Undetectable
12/11. Cd4 450. Undetectable
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 07:43:24 pm »

You should choose to answer what questions you want to and if they don't like it than f*&# 'em.

And remember, you don't have to sign anything.
It's a complex world

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 07:46:43 pm »
Honestly after being diagnosed positive and having absolutely horrendous numbers, this required interview was the worst part of the entire process.

Offline kev72

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »
this required interview was the worst part of the entire process.

I can imagine how you felt. The last thing I would need after hearing all the bad news is someone contacting me to schedule a mandatory meeting to discuss something that has hit me with such a blow already. I am still in the phase where I feel funny getting my blood work drawn or my RXs filled at my local pharmacy. Call me paranoid, but although its getting easier, it takes time.

I understand the need to educate people who do not have all the the access to information that some of us have here in the bigger cities or the internet for that matter, but I do not agree that it should be a mandatory thing. Maybe I will feel different as I adjust to the whole thing.

Offline stpetecoyote

• me
    • QueerCoyote.com
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 01:18:51 pm »
It is pretty standard, each state has slightly different rules and regs, and even each county has different policies.   It is a requirement for your doctor to notify the state here in Florida, however the lab is typically the one that sends the information before the doctor even gets your results back. 

In my opinion, they are usually so far backlogged here that they don't make contact until weeks after you have found out and are not so effective and "tracking" anything.   Check with your particular state to find out exactly what is required of you.  I know that here you can sometimes get through it without a thought, have a pleasant conversation and learn something...or you can get stuck with an overzealous ass that thinks you are scum. I have had both for various "notifications" and urge you to file a complaint if you get the latter and not to let it get you down.  I spoke with one woman that even offered to meet me out at one of the local gay bars or coffee shops if I would feel more comfortable.  Those I'm afraid are few and far between down here.  Here in Florida they are required to ask you about your partners, but you are not required to tell them anything,  I personally opted to notify people myself when I tested poz and the people that I told were very thankful for my coming to them one on one.    That was unfortunately also the time I had a bad case worker that would come to my home while I was at work and pound on my door a few times a day until my dogs messed the house, threaten to come to my job if I didn't take time off work, etc.  When I finally told him that I notified all those I had come in contact with he didn't believe me and I eventually had to threaten to sue and complain to his supervisor. 

My favorite of course is when someone moves to a new state,  after having tested poz YEARS ago.  It is always fun to have someone from the state drop by to let you know you tested poz after your normal blood-work and want to contact your partners. I had one friend that had been poz for 10 years when he had a lady stop by.  He was quite amused and proceeded to sit her down and explain his sexual history for the past 10 years until she clued in, laughed, and went on her way.
When we killed what we were to become what we are, what did we do with the bodies? We did what most people do; buried them under the floorboards and got used to the smell - Jeannette Winterson

02/05/07 CD4 264  24.0% VL ??.?
03/05/07 CD4 ???   ??.?%  VL 825  
03/22/07 CD4 355  27%    VL 1232
04/24/07 CD4 490  28%    VL 3785
07/26/07 CD4 368  23%    VL 8900
08/31/07 CD4 454  23%    VL 2200
10/29/07 CD4 474  24%    Vl  18800
Started Atripla...been VL Undetectable and CD4 around 400 Ever Since

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:14 pm »
I noticed many mentioning the state of Indiana.  They must be very proactive.  I have a friend there who was contacted by the health dept and told someone he had sex with tested poz.  She met him in a parking lot and did a mouth swab test in the car and set up a blood test also.  It was good she made arrangements to meet him privately and also talked to him about counseling if he tested poz.  My friend had been in a relationship where they both used meth a lot and his former partner turned up poz.  Sadly, his former partner committed suicide after he tested poz.   

Offline POZnot-byCHOICE

• I AM ME AND I WONT CHANGE FOR ANYONE!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:30 pm »
WELL I KNOW THAT NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION BUT IM GONNA ASK ANYWAY, "HOW MANY TIMES ARE THE STATE DEPT OF HEALTH REQUIRED TO CONTACT US". I WAS CONTACTED ONLY ONE TIME AND THAT WAS THE DAY I WAS TOLD THAT I MAY BE INFECTED, WHICH I WAS BUT AFTER EVERYTHING WAS DONE, THEY NEVER BOTHERED ME AGAIN, BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD THING TO LET THE STATE DEPT OF HEALTH THE NAMES OF PARTNERS THAT COULD BE INFECTED. THE INVESTIGATOR GAVE ME PROPS FOR NOT BEING SCARED TO MENTION THE NAMES BECAUSE LOTS OF PEOPLE RUN FROM THE QUESTION AND THAT IS THE REASON WHY SO MANY ARE INFECTED AND KEEP INFECTING OTHERS. SO DID I DO RIGHT OR WRONG IN GIVING THE NAMES?
NOTHING IS A WASTE OF TIME, IF YOU USE THE EXPERIENCE WISELY. auguste rodin
~Mel~

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38:30 pm »
Weird, I lived in FL when I tested Poz, and I got a phone call, and that was about it. No asking of my sexual partners (granted, I had only one, and I was in a relationship with that person, who was the same person that gave me HIV), but it was pretty painless.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 02:45:56 pm »
Hello Gang,

input. Kev

I live in NJ.  The health department sent a letter about 3-6 months after diagnosis and then some guy called me at work demanding my Social Security number... before he would tell me why he was calling.  After we got to at least his department I hung up and called the number in the letter. 

We then had a strange conversation -- entirely by phone -- in which there was very little content -- mainly a bunch of questions by him "you know what that means right"?  No effort at contact tracing.  No further contact.

Of course, if I were a little more pleasant when people call me out of nowhere and demand my social security number the discussion might have gone better.
 :)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 03:14:53 pm »
I didn't get contacted by anyone at all after I tested poz here in GA.  My doc told me that it would be reported to the health department and gave me a referral to a good ID doc and that's it.  My doctors didn't even discuss contacting former partners, although my husband was told that he should.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.