Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 02:11:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Travel outside the U.S.  (Read 18274 times)

Offline pozonsobe

Travel outside the U.S.
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »
Hey, was wondering what I need to do if I want to travel over to Italy, or down under to Aussie land.??? have been poz almost 20 yrs. very healthy these days but still on about 6 meds once a day. do I lie about me being poz? can I ship my meds ? what do i need to do?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Travel outside the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:40:37 pm »
You don't need to do anything except carry your medication in the original pharmacy bottles, and in your carry on luggage.  These countries have no HIV travel restrictions for tourists.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
 ??? what countries do have a hiv restriction? ;D
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:42 pm »

??? what countries do have a hiv restriction? ;D
Well, the US still does for starters.

Here's a helpful website  http://www.hivtravel.org/
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:29:46 pm »
Hi..

The US has came a long way on theTravel Ban just need to get approval to travel in the USA if you are HIV positive and I don't think it will ever be lifted until PEP is offered over the counter at a generic price, for the fears are that ever one and their mother will come to USA for AIDS MEDS at the retail price of 1600 dollars a month for Atripla that could cost the USA government lots of money and less resources for the domestic folks, for talking about an economic problem if 20 million HIV folks started to flood into the USA.  Boy that would be a problem.    The old school advocates are not looking at the problem from the right angle I believe for if more direction was focus at accelerated generic PEP and over the counter Testing and PEP .. the travel ban would not be a problem for generic AIDS meds would be available globally and testing in all communities 24/7.  No need for a travel ban.. old school AIDS professionals with in AIDS Inc in America are barking up the wrong tree in my opinion concerning the travel ban for HIV folks for I believe it is necessary just as a travel ban people with TB is necessary at this time. 

Lets keep the travel ban policy  in place in the USA for now .. to keep our domestic resources secure. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:18:50 pm »
Do you comprehend the difference between a travel visa and a longer term visa for work?

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Miss Phillcia,

Are you adressing me, if so... hear is my comment to your question  and hope it helps you understand my position concerning USA lifting the HIV travel ban, which is very low on my list of advocacy issues and just really not a big issue.

You are funny, for the 12 million folks that are visiting our country now for work and other issues that do not have any VISA, for my friends from other countries with no papers would say" do you know how easy it is to get lost in this country and blend in."  I would love to say lets open  our boarders to every HIV positive person and all other folks from other countries.  But lets comprehend some truths that we can hardly take care of the 50 million uninsured American, and to add another Million or two HIV folks to the State Medicaid Rolls or City Hospital TAX roll would be an economic down turn in my opinion.  I am not of disability or Medicaid or Medicare, but open the USA travel ban and I believe the folks on Medicaid or Medicare co-pay's will go up and benefits will go down.  I believe you would also see African Countries Governments buying one way tickets for the HIV people to save money  That is how I  see a VISA or document that our State Department Stamps for Approval for any country that is not in line with USA policies concerning work or travel (what is the big deal ,I know lots of folks that just send their med by UPS and check no the box that ask if one is HIV). 

You see Miss Phillcia I am all for Global AIDS Relief and pushed hard in the past  for social justice for many HIV positive people and praying that more will join in on these social justice works, however just because a few folks think the travel ban is not cool is not good enough for me, I would suggest these folks to think it out furter in conversation and action. I am first for The FOLKS in the USA and when we take care of these people here in the USA then  I believe USA  will be available to help more with our Global neighbors and with hopes the African Govenments Leaders and other Global Government Leaders want keep stealing the USA Charity Money for their personal profit

peace and lots of Love sister..

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:59:39 pm »
Dearest Frederica,

I suspect your paranoia is unfounded.  You'd need to convince me by exhibiting detritus effects on the public health systems of, for example, European countries.

Fondly,

Miss Pee

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 07:00:28 am »
Frederick,

Your posts strike me as extremely xenophobic. How sad.

So you're willing to deny thousands of ordinary tourists who happen to have hiv entry the US? Just because you believe some people might stay beyond their visa for the purpose of gaining medical attention?

What planet do you live on? The major problems with obtaining healthcare in the US are widely known outside the US. People who are really that desperate for hiv medical care will come to somewhere like the UK, where there are few, if any, questions asked when seeking care for hiv infection. In the US, the first thing they want to see is the colour of your money or the size of your ADAP file. ::)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:00 am »
Frederick,

Add to the ordinary tourist list the extraordinary researchers and consumers/advocates worldwide who havent' yet attended a major medical conference on HIV/AIDS in the US. Why? --because of the travel ban supported by the very country that is considered a leader in HIV/AIDS research. How much more contradictory need we be in terms of being concerned " FIRST for The folks in the USA?"

Em

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:48 am »
Frederick,

Something seems rather odd to me. You brandish your membership affiliation with GNP+ -- The Global Network of People living with HIV/AIDS  and yet you're all for hiv travel restrictions? And by the way, as far as I've been able to discover, there IS no "GNP+USA". It's GNP+NA, NA being North America. Big difference between the two. Just ask Canada and Mexico. The GNP+ is split into regions, not countries. It's to do with the GLOBAL theme, ya know? The regions are:

Africa
Asia Pacific
Caribbean
Europe-Central Asia
Latin America
North America

The GNP+ are very much AGAINST hiv travel restrictions - if you don't believe me, read the website of the organisation you so proudly proclaim to be a member of. (You lay heavy hints that you are a spokesman for them as well; I bet they're pleased.) You call yourself an AIDS advocate but you are the ONLY such advocate I know who advocates for travel restrictions to remain. I mean wow, with advocates like you, who needs enemies?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:56:28 am »
Ann,

Again you goll to control the discussion to your likening and for you to not accept that the USA and the people in the USA have the right to start a group and advocate to our community for Global Change is most laughable.  All those other countries you mention are important and so is the USA and it is cool that citizen in the USA advocate to our community for who wants other countries in our business.  Are you a USA citizen?   So again the freedom of speech, orgainizing is not in your to control.  The travel ban in the USA is their for a reason the main reason I believe is what I stated in the communication before.  It is clear that you are follower, but I am a leader and do not need your approval to move forward, but again understand your need to protect you territory and the control issues of making sure you agenda by you bully people around with  tickery and a smile of comapassion.  I am just hoping for a Cure for AIDS and stating my truths under  a New Group CAlLed GNP+USA like it or not and it stands for Global Network of Positive People in the USA and the + sign stands for the cross of Jesus.  And looking for more folks with Zeal, Honor , Truth and Action to Join and all are welcome with their voice and free speech.. Would you like to join in Ann.

Peace.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:13:23 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the future of AIDS activism!

Offline komnaes

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:18:44 am »
I am looking forward to see him on TV.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:19:18 am »
Child please -- I'd settle for a podcast at this point.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 11:21:43 am »
Ha.. I would just settle for seeing his/her face here, with a real name!

The real leader should have no problem doing that right?

Then we can wait to see him leading a prayer group in Florida or whatever on a Fox affiliate or whatnot..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 11:46:38 am »
I am just hoping for a Cure for AIDS and stating my truths under  a New Group CAlLed GNP+USA like it or not and it stands for Global Network of Positive People in the USA and the + sign stands for the cross of Jesus.  And looking for more folks with Zeal, Honor , Truth and Action to Join and all are welcome with their voice and free speech.. Would you like to join in Ann.

Do I want to join? Thanks, but no thanks.

I get it now, you have no actual affiliation with GNP+, you just stole their name and put a little plug in for Jesus while you were at it. Go for it, I won't stand in your way, but I have to wonder what the people over at the REAL GNP+ would think about it. They'd probably just shake their heads, kinda like I'm doing right now.

There's nothing more for me to say, because you'll only twist my words again and post more garbled thinglish that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
Ann

I did not steal the name for it is a forgein group and has no USA idenity or rights of ownership in the USA for it is like the compulary liscening thing but different for no one knows what they do..  and in the past GNP PLUS had one excutive director and no staff and no advocacy effort at all in the USA.   Just got very fed up with them talking all the credit and not doing any work and feeding off USA funding, where you might know USA funds 1/3 of the Global Fund and is Funding 9 billion a year now for HIV, AIDS, TB and Maleria.. Just sick and tried of forgein groups pushing the USA around like we are dogs and we give more than any other Country and just setting the record straight. And would like GNP PLUS to stay out of USA politic as they have done so successfully in the past 

Oh, well God bless Queen of the Common Weath and the people of Englan for they have given more than the USA, however She is very shy about annoucing it for the Grace of Her Christian faith doesn't boast in Charity Works.. And Again God Bless the Queen and the Common Wealth for I  am sure you must feel many blessings to be apart of such a great Country and Godly Works of a Christian Nation that help some many folks out and wish more nation could understand True Charity.

Peace and love you a lot Ann,

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:31:03 pm »
I have not read the entire thread posts; however, I have traveled outside of the U.S. to the Caribbean and have no problems what-so-ever.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 11:53:25 pm »
I've been to Europe several times and they never really ask about anything, at least when you enter the EU through Schipol.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 07:33:56 am »
I've been to Europe several times and they never really ask about anything, at least when you enter the EU through Schipol.

LOL... Amsterdam is the city of "don't ask!"  Why would they? They've seen it ALL before. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline elf

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:51 am »
I would love to visit US one day, but due to xenophobic and HIVphobic travel policy, I'll travel to Canada instead. And no, I will not ''overload'' Canadian health system during those 2 months, I'm gonna take my medications with me (double doses, just to make sure they don't get lost) ;)  After Canada, I'll go to Brazil, Cape Verde and Mozambique. I have a long list.  ;D

After my HIV+test, journeys and photography is all I want to spend my money on. No houses&cars, many thanks :) my priorities changed :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:27:56 am by elf »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:58 pm »
Oh, I've been stopped several times in Europe by security.  I'm not sure why, but throughout my life people have often taken me for a drug dealer.  I was even harassed once by the French on a train, pre-EU, on the Belgian border.  They mistook my box of drawing charcoals for some sort of hashish.  I was yanked out of some line in Finland by security.  I was totally searched twice at CDG and within 50 feet of each instance.

Offline Angel-Ronnie

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 06:00:26 am »
Hey, was wondering what I need to do if I want to travel over to Italy, or down under to Aussie land.??? have been poz almost 20 yrs. very healthy these days but still on about 6 meds once a day. do I lie about me being poz? can I ship my meds ? what do i need to do?

Catching up on some reading here and being a South African i have been travelling outside my country without complications so far and must say i am happy being one and to come back to the country I know as home Johannesburg. As I have entered the world of travelling this sparked something that had nothing to do with the original question poz asked assuming that he/she is American as i understand from the thread here.

Frederick how do you expect to get the US to keep the travel ban when it is an American that is enquiring about travelling outside the U.S? WAHAHAHAHAH sorry i just find this funny.....
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll
2012-04-23 CD4=847 VL=125 CD4%=29
06-02-2013 CD4=990 VL=<20 CD4%=28
05-07-2013 CD4=869 VL=<20 CD4%=30
05-12-2013 CD4=859 VL=262 CD4%=28
03-05-2014 CD4=743 VL=<20 CD4%=28
30-09-2014 CD4=291 VL=33 CD4% =30
24-02-2015 CD4 1065 VL=1814 CD4%=30
22-07-2015 CD4=974 VL=<20 CD4%=32
19-01-2016 CD4=940 VL=<30 CD4%=33
11-07-2016 CD4=646 VL=<30 CD4%=26
11-01-2017 CD4=749 VL=<30 CD4%=29
27-06-2017 CD4=948 VL=<30 CD4%=32
22-12-2017 CD4=824 VL=<30 CD4%=32
09-06-2018 CD4=1036 VL=<40 CD4%=31
12-01-2019 CD4=915 VL=<30 CD4%=31
28-05-2019 CD4=855 VL=<40 CD4%=28
24-06-2021 CD4=927 VL=<20 CD4%=33
04-12-2021 CD4=1240 VL=<20 CD4%=34
25-06-2022 CD4=1408 VL=<40 CD4%=33
04-01-2023 CD4=982 VL=<20 CD4%=31
27-05-2023 CD4=1096 VL=<<40 CD4%=32

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.