Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:51:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 242
Total: 245

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIVworker...Please Come In...Astounding Lab Results for Zephyr!  (Read 11240 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Hi R, and everyone,

Just received a call from UC Davis out here in CA...I donated blood again to their LTNP Studies last week, and I'm SHOCKED at what they've reported back with.

I have to qualify this thread by saying I've never, in my 14 years of tracking (or being tracked) my numbers, have I ever been SO BLOWN AWAY...(I'm literally shaking right now!!)

Ok, here goes:

CD4's   2228

CD8's    978

Ratio at 2.4

Percentage at 50%

What is going on with me? In April, the NIH registered CD4's 1488, and told me that they do not like to see numbers over 2000.

I need some input from somebody, please, this is actually getting SCARY.

HELP!!

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: HIVworker...Please Come In...Astounding Lab Results for Zephyr!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:48:28 pm »
In April, the NIH registered CD4's 1488, and told me that they do not like to see numbers over 2000.

:o
did they give you a reason?

Offline zephyr

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:56:56 pm »
Allo, thanks...

Frankly, I don't remember. We were looking through consent forms, she talked real fast, and I guess it just didn't register in my brain.

That's why I kinda want to talk to R. (HIVworker).

It just feels like I'm entering a whole new ball game, I don't know why.

Zephie

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:59:47 pm »
Quick question. Have you ever tested for HTLV I or had your CD4 cells tested for leukemia. 2,200 is very high. While it is unlikely, given your good health, that you have either of these conditions, it should have been ruled out. High CD4 counts can manifest like that.

I'll think on it some more....

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline zephyr

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:31 pm »
R, thanks....

Let me pull out those lab records, I'll be back to you shortly.

Gosh, am I glad you are on-line right now!!!

Zephie

Offline zephyr

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:13:57 pm »
R,

I cannot find any reference anywhere indicating that a test for HTLV I or II were done. It would have been a special order from my doctor, right?

Or, would it show up somewhere else on the standard labs, that perhaps I'm not seeing? (Of course, I realize that different labs have different formats...) But, maybe I'm missing something...

Would the presence of advanced peridontal disease be creating this high number of CD4's, cause I am dealing with that at the moment.
(Just providing more info to you...)

The Research Nurse indicated that her lab techs were 'concerned' over these elevated results, but no specific was mentioned.

Thanks for your help!

Zeph

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:41:22 pm »
I just did a search specifically omitting "HIV"---and being non-clinical I can't make heads or tails of the mumbo-jumbo...sorry for the cliches but this is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard!

please keep us posted, honey...I am thinking of you and my face is starting to hurt!

Much love and peace,
creighton

p.s. you're in northern CA...I prescribe a big glass of red wine to stop the freaky feelings...I am pouring one now...

Offline zephyr

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:50:26 pm »
Creighton, honey...

What a terrific suggestion! Why, I'm going to walk up the block right now and buy some, it's exactly what I need!!

Still having fun with your new system??? I'll bet you love it!

Love,

Zephie :-*

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:04:15 pm »
Zephyr you are a walking talking CD4 factory!  I'd try to get too worried about these results if you can, i've always been told by my doctor about margin for error on testing maybe this was just a freak result?

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:12:11 pm »
yes it's got to be an error...wine tells me so.

and yes I love this thing, keyboard is so freakin' small though!

Offline terpie82

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:40:53 pm »
Hi Zeph,
I do agree that the numbers are unusually high, but then again hun, u have to remember that you and the other LTNPs are a medical mystery. My guess is that if it was leukaemia, you and the doctors would already know about it. I'm surprised they didn't tell you to come back so they can do another blood draw because numbers tend to be dynamic, changing as often as a day. Leukocytosis is my guess so that's why if I was the physician, I would have asked you to come back for another blood draw to see if the numbers changed. However, if they haven't called you back, maybe they don't think it's much to be concerned about. I have my 1st lecture on blood and blood disorders I can email to you (it's on PPT). As for the NIH CD4 stipulation, I know Frank personally (Dr. Frank Maldarelli leads the majority of the clinical trials and studies at NIAID) and he'll never leave you high and dry. Worst case scenario, he'll put you in a study especially for special people like you. Aren't you lucky. See you in 2 weeks.  :-*
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline zephyr

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 09:53:59 pm »
Terpie....so glad to see you on-line, honey!!

Leukocytosis??? Please, educate me, if you'd be so kind. And, I do not know what PPT stands for, could you elucidate??

I didn't get upset at HIVworker's reference to Leukemia, I seriously doubt that I have it. I've been scrutinized so closely lately, that someone would have raised that alarm before now.

My life just seems to be racheted to a very high level at the moment, and it probably shouldn't surprise me that I reflect these numbers...
I'm feeling particularly strong, personally, and with the recent decisions to disclose publicly (newspaper interview next week), I have a strong sense of freedom going on right now.

Terp, I'd love an intro to Dr. Maldarelli this next trip, I'll have to ask to meet him. You know, this will be the visit that defines my entry into a particular study....they have not 'enrolled' me as of yet in one.

I am counting down the days, it's 13 now......can't wait to see you, my friend, and catch up on your news.

Love,

Zephyr

Offline terpie82

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:15:48 pm »
Hi hun,
Of course. Here's a direct quote from my PPT (powerpoint presentation):
Leukocytosis-abnormal WBC count usually due to temporary infection from bacteria or virus. Everyone who has a cold, the flu, etc. will have this temporary condition where their white blood cell counts sky rockets in response to an infection. My guess is that with your busy schedule and fame (that reminds me, I must have your autograph), you may have become stressed physically and emotionally, which can make you vulnerable and your body can respond by churning out extra WBCs. As for meeting Frank, you'll definitely meet him sometime -most likely when you're placed in a study/clinical trial. He's a very busy man and I must say that in the last 2 years, I've only met him 3 times -twice to ask me to participate in a clinical trial and once to speak to me casually about doing research after I graduate. Yep, 13 days and counting. This time, I'll make sure you'll get an image of the Mormon Temple...but in case you don't, here are some image links:
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/images/wallpaper/daylight/washington.jpg
http://www.lofthouse.com/design/photo/temple.html
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:20:04 pm »
OMG!! I remember driving by that temple? tabernachle? several times in the early eighties when my dad lived briefly in Rockville...it reminded me of something out of Flash Gordon which was popular at the time

Offline terpie82

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:27 pm »
Yes, it is quite a sight especially at night because as cars zoom by on the busy beltway, it makes it seem like the temple is floating in air. Also, there's a light green glow at night, reminiscent of the castle in the Wizard of Oz. At some point, there was grafitti spray painted on the highway bridge immediately before the view of the temple and guess what it read? It read "Die Dorothey" hehe. It was later painted over by a darker green paint, but you can still see the message if you look carefully and quickly enough when driving.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%

Offline zephyr

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »
Minh, my Maryland Angel....

How is it that in one brief visit, you have come to know me so well? How wonderful of you to remember our intial drive past that beautiful Mormon Temple in the early dark of night, and my attempts to digitally photo it? How did you know that it would take me there, and calm me, in this tempest wave? Bless you, brother, one- thousand blessings and thanks.

Those tall brilliant spires inspire me to calm. I am like a star caught in a sun-burst, and I don't want to leave my earthly connection. This is how I'm feeling right now, as if I should be floating off the floor. I need your understanding of the virology, your experience, and your wisdom.

It is not fame that I seek, yet it just feels like there is some power that is catapaulting me into realms unknown, and I am grasping, with my un-educated mind, for some type of explanation. Maybe I'm growing impatient, like my brother Paul, we seek some indication, some explanation, some reasoning, after months and years of waiting, for some kind of answer.

Forgive me, all, as I think out loud about these events, it is merely an indication of how safe and available my forums family are to me.

You see, we don't necessarily need the answers for ourselves, as much as we want them for all of you. (I'm crying now.) The pressure I feel is that I want to hurry up the research, because I'm concerned about those we may lose. I am accepting the challange to be a part of the REMEDY, and my Aries impatience is surfacing.

I have to break here, for the moment.

Thank you Minh..........

Zephyr

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:55:51 pm »
You say:  Would the presence of advanced peridontal disease be creating this high number of CD4's, cause I am dealing with that at the moment.

I believe that's a definite possibility... especially given that you seem to have a perfectly robust immune system.  You may have multiple abscesses spewing bacteria through your gums.  Your immune system may just be rev'd up trying to do battle with it.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 11:06:19 pm »
Hun, I strongly believe that each and everyone of us was put on this Earth for a reason and to help others. You were definitely put on this Earth to save lives (among other things) because I know you (as well as the other LTNPs) hold the key to save so many lives. Like Moses who led his people to salvation, you too will do the same. As for the fame, I know you don't seek it...but fame seeks you -and for good reason. I think the fame will be a positive influence because it will help validate and increase public awareness, stabilize and hopefully decrease public fear, and gives many of us continued hope for a cure someday.

Your reference to me as an "angel" made me realize that I had told you that I would get a set of angel wings tattooed on my back someday, so I guess we know each other quite well  ;)  Also, did you know that one of the best matches for Aries is Aquarius? The fire of Aries is fed by the air of Aquarius, making it burn brighter :-*

Yes, I agree Mitch...periodontal disease is a definite possibility too.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 11:16:02 pm »
Bloody thunderstorms. I was in the middle of modifying my reply when my internet was k'o'd. They wouldn't check your CD4 cells for cancer - that was misleading.

Given that your CD4 count is so high, it might take a repeat draw somewhere else to confirm that. Also HTLV would be a specific test and it would be noted as such.

Just as I would say to someone with a low CD4 count, I wouldn't take too much notice of a high reading. 2,200 is very high and could indicate some response to something. If it is high for a while then they might want to have a look at the usual suspects to rule them out. HTLV can infect CD4 and CD8 cells but only transforms CD4 ones. Therefore one symptom can be an elevated CD4 count and in someone with a persistent elevated CD4 count, this would be something to rule out. I'm certainly not trying to scare you nor am I making a medical diagnosis - I just want to be sure that you are asking your doctors some questions.

Other things that change it include whipping out your spleen and a re-migration of the cells to infected areas - so Mitch could be onto something.

The bottom line is that there is little to worry about with a single count like this, and if it is elevated again the doctors would move quickly to rule out the unlikely things I have listed. Again, they remain unlikely because you are not unwell as I previously said.

Keep us informed!

R
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:18:15 pm by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:02 pm »
Hi Zephyr,

Wow, those numbers are impressive.  I don't think i'd ever had those numbers even when I was negative.  In any case, I hope those numbers are not errors, but are your actual counts.  Think you can spare some of those CD4's to me? =) Please keep us updated.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:52 pm »
Very few people have CD4 numbers that high - even people without HIV. However, they have been heard of during HIV infection.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 11:56:23 pm »
Dearest Zephy

I can understand your worry over this..but so far you have shown nothing but courage and strength, don't let it fail you now, accepting there is a reason for this is easy..finding out what the reason is can be a little harder, but please don't stress yourself over this...Please keep us informed.
I think Mitch is right, the Peridontal disease could be harbouring a lot of bacteria that hasn't been detected yet.

Thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs from NZ

Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 12:02:28 am »
Maybe your HIV is confused and is doing the opposite of what it normally does!  :P ;) :D

<<HUG>>
Member since March 2004

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 12:57:52 am »
Hi Zephyr,

Do you happen to have the total white blood cell count in the results given to you?  Like Minh said, if this is elevated, such as resulting from an acute infection (including dental infections), the CD4 count may become falsely elevated by the elevation in white blood cell count.  This is because the CD4 count is estimated from the Total White Blood Cell Count, the % of the white cell count which are lymphocytes, and the % of the lymphocytes which are CD4 cells.  At any rate, perhaps a repeat test in a couple of weeks would be in order.  Keep us posted and good luck with your trip.

Gerry

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 01:38:21 pm »
What was the conclusion to Zephyr astonishing lab results. I haven't heard anyone ever reach so high CD4 cells.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 03:15:54 pm »
You have retarded HIV....  Good luck Zephy and if you want you can fed ex me the xtra cd4's.  The least I can do is take them off your hands!!!!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline whizzer

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 08:09:47 pm »
Zephyr,

What was your white count (WBC)?.  Normal?  Elevated?   WAY elevated?  With a CD4 number like that, and a percent of 50, I would suspect the WBC is high, indicating some sort of infection.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:45 pm »
Hey Z,

WOW! What is the secret?

Offline srmn98

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 12:27:57 pm »
Hey Zephyr,

I'm super curious about your counts. I had not considered that they could be too high before -- made me think and I have been trying to do some web research to see what it means. Please keep us informed.

I got my labs back two weeks ago. My CD4 went from 850 when first diagnosed in October to 1490 just three months later. I just assumed it was a good thing ... but now I am wondering why and where the trends will go.

Please stay in touch !! 

Sara

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.