Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:03:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Jock Itch  (Read 17893 times)

Offline mack

Jock Itch
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:38:13 am »
Hi all. I have had Jock itch for about 5 weeks without it going away.The Doctor gave me Clozatimole cream which i applied for two weeks but it made no difference. I had my first HIV test at 10 weeks which was negative. The doctor prescribed a tablet one off dose which hasn't worked either. I had a rapid test at a testing clinic at 14 weeks( 2 days ago) which was also negative. But there is no way Jock Itch can last over 5 weeks with no improvement,is there? I know those who are immunocompromised have a hard time shaking it off. Having checked the net I can't find a shred of evidence that it can last this long with no improvement. fungal infections,especially recurring ones are a sign of HIV aren't they?

I had unprotected sex in Thailand vaginal and anal insertive with a sexworker. I am afraid I have not started producing antibodies yet. I know it says on here that 13 weeks is conclusive but almost everywhere say it can take up to six months. I take this to mean in high risk exposure and also in occupational exposure and rightly as said on here those on chemo and drugs. As i fall in to the high risk bracket I know I have to test again at 6 months.So 13 or 14 is not conclusive as about 1% of people have not produced antibodies by then.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Jock Itch
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:50:11 am »
One you are negative, your continued battle with jock itch has nothing to do with HIV. If you are still having problems see a dermatologist. CDC changed their guidelines from 6 months to 3 months in 2001. HIV is not your problem.

Offline mack

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:01:01 am »
Thanks Rod for your quick reply. It's true isn't it that Jock Itch and fungal infections are hard to shake off if you have HIV isn't it? Also retesting at six months is necessary in some cases right? I would quite happily bury my head in the sand-no offence to you Rod as you are kind to reply- it's just that i ampretty sure I am infected-had weight loss , possible rash. But almost the worst thing is this Jock Itch which has made my testcles all red.It still itches after 5 weeks and has made no improvemnt. I will check the CDC but am sure they will say "almost everyone" and will also mention 6 monthsas the upper limit.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:08:31 am »
You are not infected you have had you conclusive test. You can test all you want spend all the money you want it will not change the fact that you are negative. Fungal disease happens in late stages of HIV infection and jock itch is not one of them. I know I live with it. I wish I had jock itch instead.

Offline mack

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:13:20 am »
Hi Rod! I am hoping against hope that you are right. I'd give anything that you are. But surely early stage HIV where you have not produced antibodies as I clearly haven't,hence the negative tests and this leaves you vulnerable to fungal infections just as later HIV infection does? Again I thought the three month window would be conclusive but it's clear from the net that it applies only to the vast majority. 1% of the population will statistically fall within the 6 month limit. I only wish this wasn't so as I could get on with my life.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 02:04:25 pm »
The scientific fact is that you've had two negatives. One at 10 weeks and one at 14 weeks. You are not going to change the fact that you are negative unless you put yourself at risk in another situation. Jock itch is NOT early signs of HIV infection. Most causes are sweating a lot, poor hygiene, to tight of fitting cloths, as in underware, athletic supporters and jeans. Sharing used towels with someone that has jock itch. People that are over weight and people who are diabetics and those with an on going compromised immune system.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:06:37 pm by RapidRod »

Offline mack

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »
Rod I really appreciate the time you are affording me here.I  am not overweight nor have been diagnosed with diabetes yet. It's the last connection that scares me.This Jock Itch has lasted far longer than it should have. I can find no similar case on the web anywhere. I am aware that I have not been diagnosed HIV Poz yet. But I also that if I had not put myself in this position that my Jock Itch would have cleared up quickly. It is not an STD but the only reasonI cannot get rid ofit is because of my unprotected sex. And people with weakened immune systems find it hard to get rid of. I have found no referEnces to a distinction between early and late HIV. I'd be glad if someone could show me some supportiing evidence of this?I do appreciate the input though Rod.
Cheers!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 03:18:57 pm »
Mack,

There are all sorts of possible reasons why you might have difficulties getting rid of jock itch, but hiv is NOT one of them as you have conclusively tested negative.

Some of the possible reasons are -

Not changing your underware often enough. If you sweat a lot, you might need to change it more than once a day. You also may need to put on clean trousers every day while you deal with this problem.

Not washing often or thoroughly enough. Using harsh soaps or soaps with lots of fragrance that may be irritating your skin. Not washing every time before you use the cream.

Not making sure you are completely dry after washing. Use a hairdryer to ensure you are dry before using the cream and getting dressed.

Poor diet. A diet high in processed foods, sugars, and/or alcohol can make it difficult for a person to shake a fungal infection.

And these are only some of the possible reasons. You need to go back to your doctor and possibly get yourself referred to a dermatologist.

Whatever is going on, it has nothing to do with hiv as you are conclusively hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mack

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 05:04:15 pm »
Thanks for that Ann. This is from an Iowan Health site and you can see why IO ahev cause to worry!
"A number of very common skin ailments are caused by fungal infections. In most cases, and in most people, they amount to little more than a frustrating irritant. A fungal infection can be embarrassing (what would you call constantly scratching your crotch in public?), humiliating and in some rare situations, a serious health concern. It is important that you treat any fungal condition promptly because without treatment, it will worsen and may become chronic and much more difficult to deal with and cure. If you have a healthy immune system, you will probably be able to treat yourself in about a month....

In people with compromised immune systems, tinea infections can be more widespread and more difficult to get rid of. However, in most cases, the over-the-counter remedies will work just fine." :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
No matter what your mind is telling you to the contrary, you have conclusively tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of story.

lYou need to stop searching for material to feed your worst fears, because if you continue to indulge in doing that, believe me the net and other places will supply you with a lot of (mis)information to turn your hair grey prematurely.

You have a skin problem.  What you have described is something that can be very persistent. It has NOTHING to do with HIV. If you can't get it corrected by your current doctor then get a second opinion. The persistence of the problem does not invalidate your negative HIV test results. Seriously.

Andy Velez

Offline mack

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 05:19:58 pm »
Thanks Andy! If it was just a skin problem why would it not have either spread or cleared up by now?Unless its ezcema or psoriaris what else could it be-speaking rhetorically as I know one cant diagnose online? Why has it suddnely just arose now?I have had milder forms of Jockitch previously but nothing this severe. If anyone knows any possibility of anything else I am all ears. Trust mewhen I say I don't to be the exception to 13 week window. I honestly have had a 10 week test from my GP and a rapid test at Men's health centre  at 14 weeks and both negative. I could almost move on except for Jock Itch.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 05:46:22 pm »
Then if you need help moving on go seek the help from a mental health professional and a dermatologist to get through. This is an HIV forum and you have already reliably tested negative, no more can be offered you here.

Offline mack

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 05:53:12 pm »
Hi Rod. I am gleaning important information and having worthwhile discussions. IF I test positive in my six month test,I would like to post it here.I honestly have no axe to grind and gain nothing from posting a positive result after two negatives,except it may help others. I have had no other unprotected exposures. I am seeing my GP Tuesday and can report back what he says. I fully expect to be seeing a dermatologist.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 06:07:22 pm »
That's just it. You won't be testing positive at 6 months. You are wasting time, money and resources on something you don't and won't have from this. Testing further will not help anyone here, it will just further their worries that they should test longer which is ridiculous and will cause harm. If that is what you seriously think, then see a mental health professional ASAP.

Offline mack

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 06:20:47 pm »
your comments are appreciated Rod. I will be happy if you are right and will be glad to say so. I understand your irritation at repeat testers who have no good reason.I believe I have good reason to test. A six month test would be no,ifs no buts definitive. I am happy to hear contrarian views. The window period in my view throws up the most discussion and argument. I'll  pass on the mental health guy for now though thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 06:27:21 pm »
The views are facts and if you continue to go down this spiral slop it will never stop. I can see you never gained any knowledge from this website and further discussions of this NON-HIV situation would be fruitless.

Offline mack

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 12:16:58 pm »
I checked today and both Nhs hiv team and freedom health in London said not everyone converts by three months as everyone's immune system is different. Freedom Health said the figure is less than 1% who don't convert. The three month window is a guideline with six months the limit.Incidentally the NHS HIV team could give no explanation for why Jock Itch would not go away after 5 weeks. .

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 02:34:47 pm »
the NHS HIV team could give no explanation for why Jock Itch would not go away after 5 weeks.

Mack,

Maybe that's because hiv docs aren't dermatologists. Get yourself a referral to a dermatologist and forget about hiv - you are hiv negative. It's relatively uncommon for someone to take longer than six WEEKS to seroconvert, nevermind three months. You are hiv negative.

If you insist on using this forum to vent your scientifically unfounded fears instead of getting the real help you need, you will be given a time out. Check the Welcome thread for our posting guidelines.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mack

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 03:09:47 pm »
Hi Ann. Thanks for the honest reply. I am really only saying what I encountered today.I don't want to scare anyone. I am scared enough for everybody. Can I PM you about the window period and my fears?Otherwise I would welcome discussion on these boards.The site has been helpful to me.

Offline mack

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 04:47:37 pm »
Ok I went to the doc and he said everything looks normal. I said it hasn't changed in 5 weeks.Check this.The Gp said he probscribed the cream because I said it was itching and he wanted to rule out a fungal infection. I think this was a pretty daft thing to do. The redness only appears on the scrotum whereas I have read that Jock itch seldom appears there. I also have no redness where testicles hang by my groin(on either side).
I know this is  a HIV forum. I am posting this in case anyone with similar symptoms got wrong inferences from my thread. I also want to be honest about misdiagnosing myself. But I think my GP did err as well.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 05:06:20 pm »
Your GP wasn't wrong for wanting to rule out fungal infection. Now if you really want a fungal infection, I'll give you mine. Then you'll really have something to worry about.

Offline mack

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 05:23:50 am »
fair enough Rod! I won't ask you what fungal infection you got!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.