Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:15:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 658
Total: 658

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada and Viramune side effect???  (Read 3976 times)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
Truvada and Viramune side effect???
« on: March 04, 2007, 01:02:24 am »
I started on Truvada and Viramune 2 weeks ago.  On one pill a day for both, then 2 pils a day for the Viramune.  Started the 2 pills a day Friday night.  Doc told me I can take them at the same time, that I didn't have to do one in the morning and one at night.

My legs have been feeling strange since starting these meds.  Like a tingling sensation.  Louie put his hand on my legs where this was happening and he could feel it.  Not sure if it's nerves or muscles doing this.

This happened this morning (Saturday) and when I got out of the Jeep my legs felt so week I almost fell.  It was real scary driving back home right away.  I took a hydroxyzine for my panic attacks since I was having one of those at the time as well.

Is this problems with legs normal?  Is it something that I should be overly concerned with?  I work as a hairstylist and can't keep this up, don't want to fall flat on my face when working on a customer.

Besides Louie can't walk our dog when he's hooked up to his I.V.'s and someone has to pick up after her.  If my legs give out I'm scared we'll have to call 911 to get me up.

I'm going to talk to my doc on Tuesday afternoon, but what should I do in the meantime.  I feel it may be the viramune since this BIG effent happened after I started the 2 doeses, it happened about 8 hours after I took the 2 pills.

Should I stick to just the 1 pill until I see the doc, do the 2 anyway, spread it out or stop.  AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH

This is scaring the shit right out of me!
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline ajm_ldn

Re: Truvada and Viramune side effect???
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:29:02 pm »
Usually Viramune is taken in two seperate doses.  I can't imagine that would do any harm, and it might help!

I'm surprised you doc says take it once a day considering this:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_11411.shtml

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:21:19 pm »
Michael,

I'm sorry I am just now reading this thread today (March 8th).  This is the same combo I am on, and my doctor also told me it was o.k. to take all the pills at once...however, I have taken multiple dosings for so many years, the having to do twice a day dosing was not a big deal for me, and I told him I would prefer to take one Viramune (am) and one Viramune with the Truvada (pm)   This is the way I have always done it; occasionally, I will have a little leg "weirdness" that you describe, but perhaps not as severe as yours.   Mine is just twitchy, more or less...  I have not felt as if I were going to fall.

Let us know what you find out, and how you are handling this.

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline superdupe

• this is it!!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:17:13 pm »
Hello Everyone!
      I'm new to this site, and as a typical lurker I actually had to make my first post had to comment on this issue only because I also suffer from this same problem so severely. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and was put on a combo of Combivir and Viramune 2x a day within the first 3 months, although the severe leg pain didn't start until 6 months into the meds.
      After moving and switching primary docs, I was switched to Truvada and Viramune once a day, because my numbers were so good.  I have to admit I don't think it was "those meds" that are causing this exact same problem that I've seen so much of this identical dilemma on this site, but perhaps either "any med" or the HIV itself.
     I also suffer from my doc telling me "its not the meds", I almost feel like he doesn't believe me, but what is there to do about this? I've tried Lyrica, and Cymbalta and nothing. I'm up at 4:30am for work, cant walk for the first 30 minutes until I stand in the  shower until my body prunes, then like clockwork.. by 11am I'm hobbling at work, and by end of day I have to force myself up the stairs to my apartment.
     If the pain isn't enough the down fall is I have no energy to do anything. What was a body I was once proud of has now gained 60 lbs due to inactivity because I can hardly walk!
    I'm freely open to any an all suggestions!
     And thanks for your time!

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:54:42 pm »
OK, went and saw the doc on Tuesday.  I told him that since I've always had back problems, could the meds be agravating the situation.

He said yes, that it is possible.  So he suggested that I take ibuprofen so he gave me a script for some stronger than over the counter ones.

It's a very strange sensation, when I put my chin down to my chest I feel like a pulling down my legs.  Doc asked me if I've had whiplash.  So I told him no that I didn't and he said it sounds just like whiplash from what I'm experiening.

The Naproxen is helping, 1 pill 2 times a day.  And it's only been a few days.  He told me the feeling should get better in a few weeks, if not sooner.  We'll see what happens.  No other complications though which is a good thing.  I'm not going to stay on Naproxen for very long because of possible complications from taking it for very long.  I'll see about switching meds if that happens.  Can't go on working at a hairsalon on my feet for 6 hours straight with my legs feeling this way.  Of course I get breaks when I need them but I'm VERY POPULAR  LOL  so there are times I just keep going and going just like the energizer bunny.

Hope everyone does better, I'll keep everyone updated.

Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:36:48 am »
Michael,

Perhaps I am mis- reading here.... Are you talking about taking both Viramunes together, at the same time, instead of one every 12 hours?

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:48:57 am »
Hi Michael!

I also just started Truvada/Viramune about 1 week ago.  I am still in the one Vriamune pill a day stage.  I have felt a little tingly in my extrmities and this morning a little achy.  One day I had exactly the same kind of weak feeling you had as well.  From what my Dr. said, these are typical and usually go away or lessen with time.

Having said that, I am nervous about beginning the 2 pills a day given your experience.

I'm glad to hear the Naproxen is helping out.  I hope that these symtpoms drift away for you too.  Keep us posted on your experiences.  I have to say it really helps me and hopefully you too.

Cheers!

JP
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.