Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:31:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 230
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it possible to have HIV and not get sick?  (Read 13092 times)

Offline Newguy

Is it possible to have HIV and not get sick?
« on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:35 pm »
Hi everyone

Just curious but is it possible to not get sick if you have HIV and are on meds? Although I am dealing really will this diagnosis and am adherent 100% to my meds, I sometimes get anxious with the idea that I might be hospitalized with HIV? Any thoughts or experiences?

Best

Offline buginme2

Re: Is it possible to have HIV and not get sick?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
Assuming you remain on meds and undetectable and all that and have an adequate recovery of your cd4 cells, your risk of getting opportunistic infections are small.  When you say "be hospitalized with HIV" is this what you mean?   

Your chances of getting sick with things like the flu will be about the same as the general public.  You will get sick at times just like everyone else on the planet.

Having HIV (even successfully treated HIV) does put you at a higher risk to develop certain types of cancer.  Liver disease, kidney disease, heart disease, and metabolic disorders are things you want to be cognizant of (most can be managed with lifestyle choices like quitting smoking, exercising, etc).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:38:58 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »
I have been poz for almost 30 years and I'm in better shape than some of my friends and family ... actually I am in better shape than ALL of the ones my age .

I think you have every right to be optimistic about your future , I am about mine .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »
Hi everyone

Just curious but is it possible to not get sick if you have HIV and are on meds? Although I am dealing really will this diagnosis and am adherent 100% to my meds, I sometimes get anxious with the idea that I might be hospitalized with HIV? Any thoughts or experiences?

Best

People like yourself who are recently diagnosed and on meds stand a great chance of never, ever developing AIDS.  It's been that way for almost a decade now.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Newguy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not looking for reassurance but I am simply curious. Although I have managed to keep everything stable and move forward with my life, sometimes I forget I have HIV and then it creeps into my mind and snowballs. I don't like this feeling because my thoughts run wild and I am sure you know what I mean. The lowest my cd4 dropped was to 330 and I never ever got sick, not even seroconversion flu. I actually haven't been sick for a long time, meanwhile people around me are getting the flu and all sorts who are HIV negative.

This infection just seems super strange and I have no idea what to expect. You hear some stories of people in the hospital for  weeks with seroconversion, hard core partiers who maintain high CD4 and UD viral load and some who take care of themselves and get ill. There seems to be no consistency with this virus.

Just a very bizarre condition. Although one thing that seems to be consistent is the stigma. My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.

Best to all!

Offline WestSide

• Living and Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:53:27 pm »
My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.
I guess it's your job, since you disclosed to your besty, to educate the uneducated about your illness.  This is why I won't disclose until I have enough skill and knowledge to deal with people that may be a little ignorant about it.  It can be taboo to some but they really just need to be informed.
06/10/13 CD4 611 % 40.3 VL UD / CD8 493 % 32.5
03/07/13 CD4 570 % 38.8 VL 24 / CD8 634 % 43.1
02/01/13 Started Meds: Stribild
01/07/13 CD4 389 % 42.3 VL ?   / CD8 407 % 44.2
12/10/12 CD4 264 % 31.6 VL 25.7K

Race: White (Italian/Welsh)
Orientation: Gay

Offline Newguy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:14 pm »
, since you disclosed to your besty,

This expression made me laugh! Thanks for that WestSide

Have a great day!

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:19:56 am »

Hi Newguy ,
                    I went for 18 years and was never sick ,   Then started MEDS

in 2004 ?    and have never been sick ,  Being Diagnosed  with AIDS was

very alarming to me  !    But  I never have been one to be sick .

Wishing you well ,   MEDS these days will prevent any
   ill effects of HIV   for the most part  ;)

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:21:38 am »

Just a very bizarre condition. Although one thing that seems to be consistent is the stigma. My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.

I would be very tempted to ask this person, "When was the last time you got tested for hiv?" Not to be mean, not to shut her up, but to get her to stop and realise that hiv affects women too and if she's sexually active, she should be getting tested regularly.

As for your other concerns, hiv affects different people differently. A lot of it has to do with your own genetic make-up. That's why some people can party like it's 1999 and have great numbers while others are very careful and still progress to aids (in the absence of meds).

For example, many people who are Long Term Non-Progressors often have a certain gene that enables them to partially, if not completely, control hiv on their own without meds. People who can control the virus completely (ie have an UD VL) without meds are called elite controllers.

I was able to go fifteen years before starting meds, and I started before I ever got an aids diagnosis. I never did anything special. I smoke, I drink, my diet could be better and lawd knows I could get more exercise. I was never considered an LTNP as my VL was always too high; I was an LT-Slow-P.

It's just the luck of the genetic draw.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline PozJimC

• Living well, long time survivor, life to live.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:52:13 pm »
Hi everyone.  I am very new to Forums.  I have read all the most recent replies to this "curious question" and feel I need to respond too.

I was diagnosed in 1993 and did not start meds until 2000 approx.  I have not been sick any more than any of the people around me.  In fact I got sick less than they did and when I did got sick I rebounded a lot quicker.  My CD4 started out low and VL was very high, but when I started meds these numbers reversed and I have been blessed to keep them that way. 

The concern about being hospitalized is always present.  Don't let this thought keep you from living.  Take care of yourself, take meds as prescribed, eat as healthy as you can, seek medical guidance when needed, and experience life one day at a time.

I often get fed up with taking meds, but I realize they are the reason I stay healthy.  Depression is always lurking to intrude on your life to take away the enjoyment of living.  De aware of depression and avoid alcohol, which causes depression to be worse.

Besides medical guidance you should seek out local support groups.  Yes, this means disclosure, but only to those that are just like you and are just as afraid of others knowing.  The positive affects outweight the negative.  Good luck.
PozJimC

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 03:21:27 pm »
Newguy,

Since you are just curious I will throw my 2 cents in. I don't think I have anymore of a chance of getting sick then most people.

I was dignosed 2 years ago.  My truvada/isentress has kept my VL down, but can't say my CD4 is cooperating as good.  My health is good, other then an MAC attack shortly after being diagnosed.

As long as my VL load stays down and my CD4 creeps up me and my doctor don't worry to much about it.

I do agree about the alcohol.   Well for the most part, I had my share this weekend at the Blackberry Smoke concert.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:10 pm »
hmmm

Treated in good time HIV is mostly a boring virus with minimal impact on health, and the risk of illness or death for people with HIV is the same or very marginally lower to people without HIV. Indeed, skiing would be more dangerous to your health. By in good time I mean before your CD4 falls to 350-500 or if it rises to 500 some time after treatment.

Save for a pension, you will be thankful in 40 years.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:06:41 pm »
I would be very tempted to ask this person, "When was the last time you got tested for hiv?" Not to be mean, not to shut her up, but to get her to stop and realise that hiv affects women too and if she's sexually active, she should be getting tested regularly.

As for your other concerns, hiv affects different people differently. A lot of it has to do with your own genetic make-up. That's why some people can party like it's 1999 and have great numbers while others are very careful and still progress to aids (in the absence of meds).

For example, many people who are Long Term Non-Progressors often have a certain gene that enables them to partially, if not completely, control hiv on their own without meds. People who can control the virus completely (ie have an UD VL) without meds are called elite controllers.

I was able to go fifteen years before starting meds, and I started before I ever got an aids diagnosis. I never did anything special. I smoke, I drink, my diet could be better and lawd knows I could get more exercise. I was never considered an LTNP as my VL was always too high; I was an LT-Slow-P.

It's just the luck of the genetic draw.
my genes, timing, and smoke/drink/excercise issues are the same. :) :) ???
have some cognitive issues due to possible hiv/treatment issues, but after 30 years.....
i still (usually) have a positive attitude and hope i see another 30 years.

Stay optimistic Newguy!!!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:03 pm »
Do you smoke Mitchell? Such a vile habit for a 53 year old.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
its really hot to smoke when youre like 15 though. (fact)
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
Do you smoke Mitchell? Such a vile habit for a 53 year old.
yes. you???
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 07:37:07 pm »
Yes, but I'm younger than you are, have more t-cells, and passed a lung x-ray last year

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:22:20 pm »
That makes me want to go buy a pack.  I was a Marlboro Red man.  The hard stuff for me. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:11 am »
btw, I don't understand this thread -- how does one define "sick"? Do you mean getting a cold, or do you mean having KS lesions covering your body?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.