Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:19:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whoa Harriet! Oh how I love Clinton supporters!  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline StrongGuy

Re: Whoa Harriet! Oh how I love Clinton supporters!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:44:12 am »
That was great. She sounds like my ex.

With the exception of the voting for Mcain out of spite part, I pretty much agree with her.

Obama sure has work to do. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. And there seem to be a lot of her supporters that feel they've been screwed.

Here's hoping enough are convinced to vote for Obama no matter what they think of him. Color me pessimistic.
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:15:40 am »
It will be fine. Once again overblown by the punditocracy. Hillary's hens will come home to roost come November.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:17:56 am »
With the exception of the voting for Mcain out of spite part, I pretty much agree with her.

Obama sure has work to do. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. And there seem to be a lot of her supporters that feel they've been screwed.

Screwed how exactly?  That incredibly grating woman sounded like she felt like she had been screwed by the Dem Party with regard to Obama, and I don't see how.  He's a candidate, he's run a great race and he's getting popular votes and delegates like gangbusters...what is so amiss about it all? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:34 pm »
I think Barrack has run a good race at the same time the lady who is very angry at the meeting reminded me of my ex mother. Same accent and age. I could really feel empathy for this woman. She is in a lot of pain.

I have read  part Obama's book "Audacity of Hope". He mentions that he feels very strongly that part of the problem with our culture now is we are forgetting how to have empathy for others. I admit my first reaction to that woman was anger. Then I realized a lot of what she is feeling is that her world is changing. She has also been misinformed. I admit I blame Hillary for a lot of this. Hillary agreed to the DNC rules but when she saw she was losing decided to change them. Obama had nothing to do with these rules. Alll  that aside I can't help but wonder how nice it would be if someone (preferrably white/ because someone else would probalby get the door slammed in their face) would go over to this ladys house let her vent and yell and just sit there and listen for a while until she calms down. Then they could explain the process. I think what they will find is she is really frustrated with her life and situation. if peope just sat and listened to her and displayed empathy towards her situation she might relax and be more receptive to hear Obamas side of the story and what he plans to do to help improve her situation.

Many times when people are allowed to vent and they see you will listen and even pick out points you both can agree on they will in turn calm down and hear you out. They still might disagree but many times their attitude softens because they see you are willing to listen.

I know this for a fact because I  did  this with my ex mother. She was one of the most bigoted people one could meet but after seeing how nice I was and how I would stay up late at night just listening to her talk long after her son (my ex) went to bed I became one of her best buddies. She was really lonely but she thought her anger was really against minorities. I  listened to her rant about Puerto Ricans and blacks. I agreed with some of the comments because non of us are perfect. I waited my time and showed by my behavior how decent I am.  I would then point out decent black and Peurto Ricans we would see when we were out other than myself.  Whether it was a cashier who was really courtesy to her or we were driving by a neighborhood seeing African American homes that were well kept or pointing out how her new black neighbor seem to always look out for her and check to see if she needed anythig because she was elderly and lived alone. She started noticing and realized that she had always just noticed the negatives.

After a few years when my ex and I would visit her she changed so much she would insist me and her son sleep in her bed while she slept in the guest room. After a few more years she even let her grandson sleep in the same bed with us when he was over visiting and she wasn't even worried because she new she could trust us and that the stereotype that all gay men are pedophiles wasn't true. The change in her was amazing. It really showed me that many times people are just scared of change. They hear all these horror stories about blacks or Gays and they are just scared. When they are given a chance to vent and they see you are willing to listen and then they see how you carry yourself and that people are people they sometimes start to change.

I think this is what  Barrack is trying to do by remaining calm and praising Clinton regardless of the attacks that might happen. He is trying to show that he does care. There isn't much time but hopefully many will see that he is trying. Unfortunately what many people also forget is that his mother is white and so are his grandparents. I think if his mother were alive this would go a long way towards some of the people that perceive him as a black male stealing Hillarys power. Which I don't really understand myself considering Hillary has already been in the white house for 8 years. Maybe not a President but as the first lady. How many people will ever get that chance in their lifetime. She is also the first person to go from first lady to being Senator. So whe will already go down in history books. Unfortunately I worry she and Bill might be tarnishing their image now. I personally used to really love them and defended them vigorously when all the scandles with them were going on. Just seems like now they are just out for power no matter how it is gotten. Of course this are just my views. I think in the end everything will work out though. I think they are bascially decent people.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:25:56 pm by DCGUY2007 »

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:43:31 pm »
Screwed how exactly?  That incredibly grating woman sounded like she felt like she had been screwed by the Dem Party with regard to Obama, and I don't see how.  He's a candidate, he's run a great race and he's getting popular votes and delegates like gangbusters...what is so amiss about it all?

I totally respect your feeling and understand fully that is what you believe and how you see the situation. I see it the polar opposite. I'm not going to state point by point my grievances with him and his campaign (I'd need a book) because it will just devolve into a back and forth and in the end neither of us will be any closer to an understanding and it will just harden feelings. The counterarguments from Hillary supporters are all over the web for all to see but I'm not getting into it.

As I said, I'm going to vote for him but it will be because there are some important issues I care about that I hope he may be able to get through if he is elected. Not because I enjoy him.

My point above was that Obama has work to do which, even if you hate Hillary and love Obama, and that is a real issue Obama will hopefully realize he can’t ignore. I hope he overcomes those obstacles, but my personal feeling is that this will be a squeaker election and I'm skeptical he will be able to pull it off. I've been wrong before, and I hope I am this time.

Peace :)
Mike
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:37:13 pm »
Let the healing begin:

Hillary Clinton has summoned top donors and backers to attend her speech tomorrow night in an unusual move that is being widely interpreted to mean she plans to suspend her campaign and endorse Barack Obama.

Obama and Clinton spoke Sunday night and agreed that their staffs should begin negotiations over post-primary activities. In addition to help raising money to pay off some $20 million-plus in debts, Clinton is known to want Obama to help out black officials who endorsed her and are now taking constituent heat, including, in some cases, primary challenges from pro-Obama politicians.

"This has never happened before," one donor said, referring to the personalized request by email to attend the event in New York Tuesday night.

Obama is expected to claim enough delegates to put him over the top that night at a separate event in Minneapolis.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
I totally respect your feeling and understand fully that is what you believe and how you see the situation. I see it the polar opposite. I'm not going to state point by point my grievances with him and his campaign (I'd need a book) because it will just devolve into a back and forth and in the end neither of us will be any closer to an understanding and it will just harden feelings. The counterarguments from Hillary supporters are all over the web for all to see but I'm not getting into it.

Then send at least a few links or something  to support the claim that he's run a dirty campaign and that Clinton has been screwed by him and the DNC.  Send it in a PM to me or something if you can't hack putting it in the thread.  Not trying to start a fight with you - I just don't see it.  And I'm not going to go fishing on the web for it...either someone presents me with it outright or I am going to dismiss the notion altogether.

Thanks!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 06:41:41 pm »
Tim I’m not looking to enlighten you on this issue when I see no point. You can dismiss it and that's fine. I dismiss a lot from the Obama camp too.

I've read some of your charged posts regarding Hillary and feel it’s a safe bet that e-mailing or sending links is an exercise in futility for both of us. If you’re genuinely curious, it's a basic search. If you want me to hand deliver links to you – well – that isn’t happening.

And from the tone of your post saying I can't "hack it," sounds to me you’re looking for more than a pleasant discussion (no matter how you qualify it). I can hack it, I assure you. If you came across as eager and genuinely interested, I might have had a nice civil discussion with you offline.  But that’s not the feeling I’m getting after reading many of your posts on this subject (though I generally enjoy/agree with a lot of your other views you post on here).

If I’m off and reading this wrong, and you want to have a gentle, civil, respectful discussion, send me a PM and we’ll talk.  Otherwise, I’ll go with my gut on this one and steer clear. You’re the one that wants to know the many grievances Hil’s supporters have with Obama and his campaign, surrogates, etc. I’m not the one who wants to enlighten you on this side of the issue with what I feel will likely be a contentious back and forth (though I’m open to being proven wrong). I retired from online public hot debates some time ago. Ball is in your court.

Peace out!

Mike :)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:41 pm »
I already said that was the case in the post above.

But never mind...it really isn't important.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:11:11 pm »
I think Barrack has run a good race at the same time the lady who is very angry at the meeting reminded me of my ex mother. Same accent and age. I could really feel empathy for this woman. She is in a lot of pain.

I have read  part Obama's book "Audacity of Hope". He mentions that he feels very strongly that part of the problem with our culture now is we are forgetting how to have empathy for others. I admit my first reaction to that woman was anger. Then I realized a lot of what she is feeling is that her world is changing. She has also been misinformed. I admit I blame Hillary for a lot of this. Hillary agreed to the DNC rules but when she saw she was losing decided to change them. Obama had nothing to do with these rules. Alll  that aside I can't help but wonder how nice it would be if someone (preferrably white/ because someone else would probalby get the door slammed in their face) would go over to this ladys house let her vent and yell and just sit there and listen for a while until she calms down. Then they could explain the process. I think what they will find is she is really frustrated with her life and situation. if peope just sat and listened to her and displayed empathy towards her situation she might relax and be more receptive to hear Obamas side of the story and what he plans to do to help improve her situation.

Many times when people are allowed to vent and they see you will listen and even pick out points you both can agree on they will in turn calm down and hear you out. They still might disagree but many times their attitude softens because they see you are willing to listen.

I know this for a fact because I  did  this with my ex mother. She was one of the most bigoted people one could meet but after seeing how nice I was and how I would stay up late at night just listening to her talk long after her son (my ex) went to bed I became one of her best buddies. She was really lonely but she thought her anger was really against minorities. I  listened to her rant about Puerto Ricans and blacks. I agreed with some of the comments because non of us are perfect. I waited my time and showed by my behavior how decent I am.  I would then point out decent black and Peurto Ricans we would see when we were out other than myself.  Whether it was a cashier who was really courtesy to her or we were driving by a neighborhood seeing African American homes that were well kept or pointing out how her new black neighbor seem to always look out for her and check to see if she needed anythig because she was elderly and lived alone. She started noticing and realized that she had always just noticed the negatives.

After a few years when my ex and I would visit her she changed so much she would insist me and her son sleep in her bed while she slept in the guest room. After a few more years she even let her grandson sleep in the same bed with us when he was over visiting and she wasn't even worried because she new she could trust us and that the stereotype that all gay men are pedophiles wasn't true. The change in her was amazing. It really showed me that many times people are just scared of change. They hear all these horror stories about blacks or Gays and they are just scared. When they are given a chance to vent and they see you are willing to listen and then they see how you carry yourself and that people are people they sometimes start to change.

I think this is what  Barrack is trying to do by remaining calm and praising Clinton regardless of the attacks that might happen. He is trying to show that he does care. There isn't much time but hopefully many will see that he is trying. Unfortunately what many people also forget is that his mother is white and so are his grandparents. I think if his mother were alive this would go a long way towards some of the people that perceive him as a black male stealing Hillarys power. Which I don't really understand myself considering Hillary has already been in the white house for 8 years. Maybe not a President but as the first lady. How many people will ever get that chance in their lifetime. She is also the first person to go from first lady to being Senator. So whe will already go down in history books. Unfortunately I worry she and Bill might be tarnishing their image now. I personally used to really love them and defended them vigorously when all the scandles with them were going on. Just seems like now they are just out for power no matter how it is gotten. Of course this are just my views. I think in the end everything will work out though. I think they are bascially decent people.

What a great post.  The story about your "ex mother" (what's an ex mother, by the way?) was remarkable.  I wish I had that kind of patience with people who hold bigoted views.

And I completely agree with you about empathy.  It's highly underrated, and would solve many of our problems if widely adopted.  It seems to be a very rare commodity these days, especially in the political realm.

Peter

Offline northernguy

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:33:19 pm »
Sounds like a loud-mouthed, bitter, old hag...sort of like Hillary herself.

Any fool Hillary supporter who votes for McCain instead of Obama deserves a trip through the various levels of hell.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
I've always wondered why it is that male politicians are "go-getters" and "strong leaders" yet women in politics who exhibit exactly the same traits are written off as "bitter hags" and other like things.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:49:50 pm »
I've always wondered why it is that male politicians are "go-getters" and "strong leaders" yet women in politics who exhibit exactly the same traits are written off as "bitter hags" and other like things.

MtD

In my case, I view her desperation to win, no matter what damage she does to the Democratic nominee, as reason to call her a bitter hag.  Her bumbling attempts to play the race card are just one more reason to dislike her.  I admired her at the start of the race but she past her "best before" date and worn out her welcome.  She should have seen the writing on the wall and bowed out gracefully.  And now rumour has it she's negotiating with the Obama camp for them to pay her debts in order to pull out of the race.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the time Hillary.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 08:49:35 am »
Sounds like a loud-mouthed, bitter, old hag...sort of like Hillary herself.

Northernguy -- I'm no Hillary supporter, as most folks know, but I'm also no fan of blatant misogyny.  We ban folks for saying shit like this.  Consider yourself warned.  Do not post in this thread again, unless it's an apology.  If you post anything less than that, you will receive a Time-Out.

Peter

P.S. -- I'd also ask everyone else not to reply to his posting.  He can't respond now, so don't pile on.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:05:05 am by Peter Staley »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.