Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: If I had a time machine...  (Read 23795 times)

Offline Grasshopper

Re: If I had a time machine...
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 06:40:15 am »
I already explained. You go back far enough and infect them, like the acrobat does today, thousands, and then evolution takes over, the strongest survive, and HIV is but a trace in our DNA.

And your (weaker?) ancestors would have died in the "new" past....and suddenly you will seize to exist in the current present  :o

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 08:10:49 am »
Yep, obviously. It was not a real idea it was an idea that made ironic sense at a moment in time in this thread about unreal pasts and presents.  But if you believe in reincarnation my soul would be around and maybe as another creature or maybe human. And if I didn't exist in the present, who cares, not me, cause there would be no me. And the world would be a better place, but wouldn't know it, cause who worries these days about bubonic plague and other diseases lost to history!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:13:24 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 08:16:54 am »
I'd rather my first experience - living in the past on my current salary. Somehow I find this a fantasy that comforts me today, when I dont feel so rich.

One time I lived a fantasy kind of like the Sex and the City girls in their new movie.  I worked part-time for a billionaire family and whenever I was working I was in their world of incredible luxury, comfort, peace and beauty for weeks at a time.  Each time I made the commute between my world and their world, and back again, it was like a kind of time travel.  

Maybe all history is forever present on this earth all the time.  We think conditions and experiences of the past or future are not now, but in fact, there is misery and evil and bliss and goodness all the time present on this earth, now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:19:08 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2010, 08:27:36 am »
My body and mind are my time machine . I'm content here and I am at peace for now .

I can look back at where I have been and it helps me to get where I want to go .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2010, 10:49:59 am »
Stop aids how?
Or you mean you'd go forward in time, get the vaccine and then go back and give it to everybody in the past?
Why not both.  Go back in time to see where it started and halt the wave or go forward in time, get the cure and then go back in time and cure everyone. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:34 am »
And your (weaker?) ancestors would have died in the "new" past....and suddenly you will seize to exist in the current present  :o
So Grasshopper, what if your paradox did not matter and he gets what he wishes anyway.  Afterall, it is just a fantasy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2010, 10:54:38 am »
Why not both.  Go back in time to see where it started and halt the wave or go forward in time, get the cure and then go back in time and cure everyone. 

Write all this down on a post it note . If this forum disappears we will know it worked . I think . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:34 am »
That's pretty extreme.  You would doom thousands of cavemen and/or women to AIDS, without access to meds and Ryan White, just so you won't have it in the present.  I like it!   ;D

Of course you'd have to infect babies so that they would (hopefully) die before reproducing.  Life was likely pretty short as it was back then.
And the meek will inherit the earth.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:59 am »
Write all this down on a post it note . If this forum disappears we will know it worked . I think . 
Of course if the post-it note disappears, then search like hell for it.  :D

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 11:39:48 am »
So Grasshopper, what if your paradox did not matter and he gets what he wishes anyway.  Afterall, it is just a fantasy.

Yeah, just like a wish is a fantasy as well  ;-)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
I'm not liking the traveling back in time before douche and infecting cave man thing .

If it doesn't work and they steal a time machine we will have a bunch of cave people posting in the am I infected forum ... not a good thing . 

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2010, 11:54:11 am »
I'm not liking the traveling back in time before douche and infecting cave man thing .

If it doesn't work and they steal a time machine we will have a bunch of cave people posting in the am I infected forum ... not a good thing . 

What you got against Cavemen?   ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:24 am »

I thought we already had  cave people posting over there.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:38 am »
Yeah, just like a wish is a fantasy as well  ;-)
not always.  sometimes wishes do come true.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2010, 11:56:10 am »
I thought we already had  cave people posting over there.
lol

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2010, 11:56:25 am »
What you got against Cavemen?   ;)

The getting hit up side my head with a club and fucked thing for one .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2010, 11:56:42 am »
Ugh ugh ugh ughy ughy ooo ooo fah ugh?

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:28 am »
Ugh ugh ugh ughy ughy ooo ooo fah ugh?
ROFL

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:59 am »
The getting hit up side my head with a club and fucked thing for one .
Once you go Caveman, You never go back...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:32:56 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline mecch

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »
Cavemen or hacky sack playing unwashed frat boys.  Same dif.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »
OK, if I had a time machine, besides curing or stopping Aids, I would go back to win every sport bet, win major lotto in the tens of millions, play wall street, stop myself for dating or getting involved with the wrong people, own a couple of castles, islands, and mansions all over the world and I would be a major player in business and still be unknown. And stop or warn of incoming disasters.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:33:05 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline mecch

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:12 pm »
OK i would go back in time and yeah, make millions in the teens, and then I would make the most spectacular busby berkeley type movies, and glamorous broadway reviews. I'd have a splendid park avenue apartment like in the deco movies, and a ranch somewhere hot, and a luxurious zeppelin hovering over San Francisco. I would build a spectacular luna park of the finest quality materials on the Jersey Shore, and surround it with model new towns with "space age" architecture.  Both would both persist to this day.  I would found a free university in the middle west for the youth of the depression, and it would grow to international status after WWII and the GI bill.  It would be profoundly humanist and leftist and nobody would be able to stop it because it would be funded by an enormous endowment and graduate only brilliant people.  I would build interfaith YMCA YWCA type institutions around the world with cheap rooms, language institutes, peace studies, and gorgeous swimming pools.  They would be mixed sex and no intolerance would be allowed. 
I would give scads of money to communes to experiment on all kinds of things with no oversight from my foundation.
Open community gardens in major cities.
Build a better public transport system.
All in the 20's 30's and 40's, and all of it would still exist today.

Offline mecch

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2010, 05:02:11 pm »
Oh, and just for the fun of it,
I'd journey to the turn of the century New York or Paris or London and attend a gentlemen's ball filled with dandies, swells, transvestites and rough trade.  We'd drink sweet champagne from coupes not flutes, slurp iced seafood, take cocaine and have endless torrid sex all night long then go to a fabulous brasserie for lunch the next day. Then take carriages to the shore and sleep in tents til midnight at the edge of vast estate, and start all over again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:04:45 pm by mecch »

Offline poz1970

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »
I'd do the tourist thing in the ancient world, visit alexandria, see the great library.. shake Hypatia and Theron's hands... see what happened at Machu Pichu, see the Pyramids while they were still covered in Marble.. basically do the wonders of the ancient world :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »
I sometime feel I have gone back in time in my dreams . I frequently dream I visiting a friend or a loved one that has passed . These dreams are always on familiar ground such a home or favorite place we used to share .

I am always aware in my dream visit that they have passed but we never talk about that . I wake up feeling good and feel as though I have experienced something special and personal like a good visit . I'm also on Atripla LOL .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 08:34:56 pm »
wait...I got it...

why don't we just go back and kill the damn tiger that bit the monkey? then monkey's no have aids..ancient tigers die off and the human race is saved
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2010, 12:11:51 am »
I'd witness the crucifixion of jesus christ for sure.  I'd also want to see the dinosaurs although that could be a little dangerous probably.  I don't think I would try to avert any major crises although I would probably go have a chat with my 14 year old self and warn me about all the bad decisions I could have easily avoided.  That of course would make the paradox begin because then I wouldn't have had a reason to go back in time and thus it never would have happened.

Offline mecch

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2010, 08:00:30 am »
Did you all read The Time Traveller's Wife
Great book. Ok film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySiDuCTew0g

For those not in on story. Henry is a time traveller. A slightly older Henry (then the guy in this scene) has been visiting a very young girl (the women in the scene) and they fall in love. At least the little girl falls in love with this older guy who time travels to meet her. (Yeah a bit creepy, but he is a gentlemen and never screws the girl) So now she is grown up and meets her love Henry, but hes a bit younger and hasn't met her yet.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:08 am »
I haven't read that .... I did read Douglas Adams hitchhikers guide to the galaxy years ago and couldn't get enough .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WhySoUnfair

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:45 am »
Great book. Ok film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySiDuCTew0g

For those not in on story. Henry is a time traveller. A slightly older Henry (then the guy in this scene) has been visiting a very young girl (the women in the scene) and they fall in love. At least the little girl falls in love with this older guy who time travels to meet her. (Yeah a bit creepy, but he is a gentlemen and never screws the girl) So now she is grown up and meets her love Henry, but hes a bit younger and hasn't met her yet.

didnt u see the movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

Rachel McAdams is so gorgeous...

Offline mecch

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:13 am »
Yeah I said I thought it was OK.
Attractive actors I agree.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:54 am »
Great book. Ok film.
I thought it was better than "great". It was an excellent book!
(damn. what a heart-wrenching ending though. Of course, having lost my own loves, those kinds of story lines appeal to me and those kinds of scenarios always give me a punch in the gut.)

unfortunately no film can ever be as good as a book (there's just not enough screen time, and it's impossible to properly protray the thoughts of the characters, which books are filled with); but it stuck to the plot and was ok.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WhySoUnfair

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2010, 11:49:13 am »

unfortunately no film can ever be as good as a book (there's just not enough screen time, and it's impossible to properly protray the thoughts of the characters, which books are filled with); but it stuck to the plot and was ok.

well, I didnt read this book, did they change the ending of the book in the movie?

I read Dear John and was so disappointed with the movie. The ending is the best part of the book and they totally destroyed it in the movie.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »
well, I didnt read this book, did they change the ending of the book in the movie?
nope.

spoiler alert: I thought the story pretty much ended when henry returned from being accidentally shot by Clare's brother. I felt the author rushed through the final chapter, tying up the loose threads afterwards. You find about alba and her time traveling, and henry returns that last time when Clare is old. But that scene I thought, in both the book and in movie, seemed incomplete and left something to be desired.

didn't read "Dear John", though I just started "A Single Man". Oh and after watching the first two movies last week, I read through the books and I'm about to start book three of the "Twilight" series. (I think I have to side with the hot wolf boy and be on Jacob's team :D )

Sounds like we need to get a book thread or movie thread going again. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.