Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:19:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 229
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Crap! - Labs  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Crap! - Labs
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:10:43 pm »
Just got my latest labs back.   What happened?  To much stress?  To many life events??

I lost some cd4's and 2 percentage points?   Crap!!!! :'(  Still <50 tho...

Your wisdom would help me understand..  Ive got my numbers listed below..

"God, I don't need no more stinkin stress!" :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:21:28 pm by Eric »

Offline sfnoepaul

Re: Crap! - Labs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:15 pm »
Relax Eric!

My t-cell counts and percentages bounce around all the time for no discernable reason. As long as your viral load stays below 50, you will do fine and don't need to worry about t-cells.  Remember that the t-cell count is just a snapshot of the cd4+ cells in your peripheral blood at the moment the blood was drawn. Most of your t-cells are in your body tissues and lymph system and can't be easily measured.

Peace and Love

Paul

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:57:14 pm »
Eric,

Sit back and relax.
Your t-cell count can vary even form the spot your sample is taken from and e.g. when you are fighting an infection.
My t-count bounced back from 17!! to 950.
It now was 384 in january, back to 586 in march.
Had blood taken yesterday and will get results in 10 days.

You are certainly in the safe range.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:02:30 pm »
Eric, I know the feeling so well.  I know you want to see things continuously go up and this seems like a backward step.  But statistically the CD4s you are down by and the % change is insignificant. It will most likely bounce the other direction next time.  You are better off than when you started the meds all the way around.  So try not to stress on this one.   And I know the CD4s can vary widely from day to day. I had blood drawn one Friday with a CD4 count of 711, blood drawn the next Monday had a CD4 count of 640.   Look at the overall movement and remember there are going to be peaks and valleys.  Hugs!

Love you my friend!!!
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:55 pm »
Hey Eric,

As they say, it all depends upon how you look at it.  Your numbers look fine and the sooner you realize that your counts will change, the less stress you will have.  One thing you should start doing is having your labs drawn at the same time, each time, so you are comparing the same time frame.  Our bodies change during the day and so do our numbers.  You may be comparing two labs that were taken at opposite times from each other and that alone could cause these changes.

But the thing you want is to see are trends and your trends are going in the right directions, so what's not to like?  Take lt from an old timer and realize that your counts are but one indicator of your health.  Yes, they are important, but they must be viewed along with other variables.  I've always held that as long as I feel pretty good, then my labs are no big deal.

You'll need to decide on how you will look at life, the whole glass half empty/full thing, but spend some time getting to know your body and you'll feel more comfortable in monitoring your health.  Numbers are an indicator at best and numbers like yours are just fine.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:26:47 pm »
Hello Eric,

I can't add much more to what the others have already stated. I believe there was one time, when my percentages dropped a point or two, and then after that continued going up again. Your doing OK Eric !

Hang in there-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:38:55 pm »
Thanks guys....   I just don't like giving up an inch.   I have worked very hard at this..   My Doctor just responded and said ERIC YOUR FINE!   Given the fact you test every six weeks, because of the study, you are bound to see things like this.   

If you guys ain't worried, why should I be?   Sorry for my "flip out".

Love ;D

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:45:43 pm »
Eric,

I hear you!! I don't like giving up anything either, it's been a tough battle ! I have worked to hard, to get to where I am at. Yep, I hear ya.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:21:12 am »
The fact that you are concerned is a great sign. It shows that you are taking charge of your life. We all must be responsible and take responsibility for our health care! You are really doing that and that my friend is a large part of the very long battle ahead of you!
    I have "survived" 22 years of blood work results. And still to this day, I get that nervous feeling in my gut just before the Doc tells me the results>It has been a "Rollercoaster ride" to say the least. My lab results make the stock market tame. This is all part of living with HIV: Each result will go up and will go down. It is just part of the reality. I know you are upset with your slightly bad results. But I can assure you that its not bad. Look at the big picture, not just the latest result. You are going to have bad ones, and you are going to have allot more good ones then bad. So know you have that to look forward to:Just be patient. It does not do any good to panic or get down when you get a bad result. Over reaction just causes more stress, and well we don't need any more stress. That stress you bestow upon yourself will only cause bad things. So relax and take it stride. In a year or so, you will look back on this day and "damn it was no big deal".
    You will be fine. You numbers are still good. I had a viral load in the 30,000 range for as long as the test was available. Just last year they went to ZERO. So never give up and try not to get upset. I know this is easier said then done, but II believe it will payoff for you in the long run.
    So relax, have a beer, and hug your lover when he walks in the door. Life is a good thing. Please remember....FUN IS ALLOWED
Love you Lots,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:48 am »
Hey Eric...  Try not to sweat it.  You know the numbers go up and down.  More importantly,
how do you feel?  Your energy levels?  I just had labs done last Monday and even though I
sense they aren't going to be good (energy levels have really dropped) I'm determined to
keep my sense of humor about it.  But I do understand what you mean by not wanting to give up
even a inch.  Take a deep breath and think positively.  Sending you a big cyber HUG! :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:10 am »
Eric: 

I know it's hard to give an inch.   Especially when you're new at this.  I went down last time even though my % went up. I certainly didn't think much of that.    Try not to stress out about it.

Take a hike up to the Bells. 

robert

(for those of you who want to see ERIC'S BACK YARD take a look.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:06:50 am by Robert »

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:04:46 am »
"God, I don't need no more stinkin stress!" :-\

Hey Eric,

Then why the hell do you accept it into your life.  Please chill.  YOu are going to kill yourself with all these ups and downs.  Just try to focus on being calm and not let all these things come into your life as "stress".  You surely don't need any more things to keep you riled up.  Jebus, you Baptists are all alike. ;D
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 02:16:25 pm »
SLAP....  MY ASS IS UP BETWEEN MY SHOULDERS AGAIN... ;D

Thanks for that...

Tim dont get me confused with Baptists!!  Lutheran my brother... Jebus Christ!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:16:24 pm »
I have learned alot in the past 24 hours.  From all of you and my doc and my Dad .   I will not waste another minute on the numbers game.   Thnks David, Jeff and Robert.   In fact I have my climbing gear ready for this weekend & the south portal climb on Sunday at the bells.  Your psychic...   

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:14 am »
The guys who've posted earlier pretty much said it all. I'd only like to add that a certain amount of variability is inherent in these tests -- "assay variability." Especially with the VL. It's not a simple matter of counting marbles in a bag, though that's the way I intuitively think about testing/measuring/counting something. I've asked biologist friends to explain it in some detail and I understood their explanations for about 15 minutes. Anyway, here's a question/observation I posted on the site www.thebody.org:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Archive/Miscellaneous/Q172697.html

lydgate
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 12:41:16 pm »
My cd4 is a bouncing ball; I used to stress over it...no more.  I take my meds, watch my vl and listen to the doc; he is excellent and I trust him to take care of me.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.