Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:44:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 797
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 792
Total: 792

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: skinny neck  (Read 5488 times)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
skinny neck
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:31:12 pm »
maybe i'm just self conscience but when i look at myself i see an emaciated bag of bones. don't know if this worked properly i attached a pic. let's see if it shows up

[attachment deleted by admin]
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline antibody

Re: skinny neck
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:34:47 pm »
okay it worked! so anyways this pic was taken a few months after diagnosis and 3 years before starting atripla. i hope i didn't wait too long before going on treatment but as you can see i'm terrified by losing anymore fat. my boyfriend say's i look great but still feel so conscience about my disease.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »
Knock it Off !  When viewing your photograph, I see a trim, fit, and lean fellow.  Your  boyfriend is right, you look fine.  Why do you not believe him?  We can ALL (and most of us do) pick parts of our bodies we would like to change.

Seeing that your VL is "undetectable" and your CD4 count is in the 700's, count your blessings.  You are still able to turn heads, my friend.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:34:06 pm »
You look good to me. I think we are often our worst critics.

Offline antibody

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:22 pm »
thank you for your kind words.  ;D  i do believe we are our own worst critics. i do try to think positive but can't help the feeling i get when people stare at me on the street or in public somewhere. it makes me feel like everyone knows. like it's all over my face.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:29:43 pm »
Anti - I see a sexy guy in the picture you posted.  Your body is lean and worked out, and your face is cute.

Happy Holidays !

Offline bobino

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 06:25:50 pm »

Hi Anti,

First of all, I think you look not only fine, I think you look really good in the picture you posted.  We should all be in that kind of shape.

Nevetheless, I don't know what you looked like *before.*  You may be reacting to the *changes* in your appearance.  In other words, unlike those of us here who have only seen this one picture of you, you can see the *difference* between how you look now and how you looked before.  If there have been significant changes, those may be disturbing to you.  So your reaction may be completely understandable.  I'm in a somewhat similar situation -- I don't think that I look sick (and no one seems to think I do), but I know I don't look the way I did before HIV started causing all these fat changes.  This makes me feel self-conscious, no matter what anyone else says.

All I can say is that I doubt seriously that anyone looking at you would think that there's anything going on.  You look great and it seems that your health is good.  Be grateful for that, and just keep an eye on the fat changes.  If they get worse, talk to your doc about finding a lipid-friendly combo.

Good luck,

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline pozatlguy

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 07:48:52 pm »
Antibody and bobino I can relate to what both of you wrote.  I look at pics of me 15 , 10 and 5 years ago and I see a huge difference in my appearance.  Not just signs of ageing but looking like a totally different person. And knowing that I've changed so much has been one of my biggest worries.  I ask a couple of my close friends about this and they say I look fine and that I worry to much.  I often think they are just responding that way because in their mind it is a way to protect me and to lesson my concern and worry.  They think they are doing me a favor by protecting me.  I have felt resentful of them on this issue because I want them to be just honest with me.  I want to know that I'm not starting to go insane here.  I've gotten to the point where I don't believe them anymore so I don't ask them about it anymore.  I'll be the first to admit that this has caused me a lot of stress the last few years.  I don't go out much anymore in fear of running into someone from my past who would notice the change.  I also have developed mild depression because of this one issue. 

While the opposite of you I see my face and neck as getting fatter or generally swollen and out of proportion to the rest of me.  While I have seen sever cases in some people I'm not at that point, but that is probably my greatest fear of it getting worse and not stopping.  People I meet for the first time don't seem to notice or know that I have HIV but when I run into someone who hasn't seen me in years and I see their reaction in their eyes and I know what they are thinking.  I won't even look people straight in the eye anymore for fear of them recognizing somehing is wrong with me. 

I realize this is something that I probably need to accept as part of this illness and possibly see therapy to deal with it.  I just keep hoping that it isn't getting worse.  I'm not on any meds known to cause this so I think is from some the ones I have been on in the past or maybe it is the HIV that is causing it as I've become a long term survivor.   

I have gotten to the point where I take pictures of my self now about once a month just so that I can monitor it.   

I wish you and others to be well and that we all can find some peace within ourselves when we encounter challenges that come at us like these.  I don't want to end this posting on a negative note.  I'm really blessed to be alive after over 17 years and having never had anything worse then a kidney stone.  So putting this in perspective I know I should be thankful to God for all that he has done for me but I just wish it wasn't a constant reminder everytime I look in a mirror.

-F

HIV + since June 1990, probably got infected 6 months before.
Viramune/Epzicom
9/06 - CD4 720, VL <50, 33.6%
12/13 - CD4 608,  VL <50, 33.8%

Offline antibody

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 12:45:45 pm »
thanks again everybody for helping put it perspective. yea i totally feel i look different and fear running into people from my past. i feel so much better that i have talked about it. thanks it really helps to know others understand just how i feel. i am feeling a little better about my weight  i have managed to put on 4 pounds and keep it on for about 2 months now. i know it's  not alot but when your my size every ounce counts.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:25:43 am »
Hi. While I agree you look pretty good (lean and handsome) if you really want a thicker neck...exercise your delts and lats, like with a "lat pulldown" behind the neck. Holding the contraction (not moving for two counts) will allow your neck muscles to aid as "secondary muscles to the resistance. It will work. You can gain an inch or so, and it will be 100% muscle, not fat.

If you don't want to go to a gym, go to your bathroom mirror. Face foward. Put your two hands together (like in prayer). While pushing them together hard tighten your neck as well. Do this while breathing out and hold the contraction for up to seven seconds, while still breathing out. Release the contraction(s) and breathe in. Repeat as many times as you can stand it, but not more than 15 reps max.

2 minutes a day; isometrics works! Isometrics is "cardio" and ought to be incorporated into every rep in resistance training. You don't hear about isometrics because there's no $ to be made from it!

Give it a try and PM me if you have any questions.  8)  -megasept

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 11:09:49 am »
Great bod and the neck looks pretty normal to me. Trust me Anti, I got a small gut that I been trying for years to get rid of but have come to the conclusion that I will have to live with it because I am a lazy guy.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.