Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:27:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Worst Birthday Ever.  (Read 16475 times)

Offline minus_25

Worst Birthday Ever.
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:15:28 pm »
Well, today is my 29th birthday and I had my first appointment with an infectious disease doctor.  Yesterday, my primary care doctor told me I was HIV positive with viral load count of 20,700.  I swear I must have contracted it orally, but in the end, I guess it doesn't matter.  What's done is done.  For what it's worth, here is my story:

November 9 - went to bath house and had protected sex with several guys, but not protected oral.  Only one guy came and I made it a point to check the condom.

November 23 - Developed a fever of 100.5 and vomited a couple of times.  There was no stuffy nose, no sore throat, and no body aches accompanying this fever.  It lasted about 2 days.

December 1 - I developed a rash like the one on this page - http://www.hiv.bg/hivskin.english.htm.  It was on my torso, back, arms, and upper legs.  The rash was not itchy and I had no other symptoms with it - no fever, no aches, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no sore throat, nothing.  My best friend did notice that my face seemed a little swollen though (lymph nodes?).

December 4 - I went to the doctor with the rash.  He gave me a shot of something in the office and prescribed me mehylprednisolone and hydroxyzine.

December 6 - The rash subsided.

December 7 - I was worried at this point and gave blood at a clinic for my first HIV test.  It would take two weeks for the result.

December 15 - I coudn't wait for those results so I went to my doctor's office and gave them blood to be tested for all STDs including HIV, which I did sign for.  The doctor told me the following week that everything is fine with my tests.  This was a relief, so I figured not to worry about the test at the clinic.

Before Christmas but after I received doctor's office test result - The clinic called and told me they had an indeterminate result and wanted me to give more blood sample.  I couldn't come in until after Christmas though because I was leaving town.

January 2 - I went to see a counselor at the first clinic and he told me that I had a reactive ELISA test and an indeterminate WB test.  I told them about my doctor's test and gave them more blood.

January 3 -  I started freaking out so I went to a different clinic for a rapid HIV Oraquick test.  The test was reactive.  They wanted to take blood to confirm, but I told them I am already having that done.  After the test, I called my doctor and he had me come in and told me to take a Viral Load test the next morning and also prescribed me Epivir (once a day).

January 4 - I gave blood for the Viral load test in the morning.  I told someone I've kind of been seeing about what I was going through and he freaked out on me.  I took him to get a rapid test and it was negative which was a relief.

January 8 - The doctor told me the bad news about the viral load test.  That evening I told my best friend what I went through and the bad news.

January 9 - I went to see the infectious disease doctor for a consultation.  Unfortunately, he didn't have the lab results at this time released from my other doctor's office.  He seemed reassuring and kind of theraputic, asking me my feelings, what I've been thinking, etc.  He also told me to stop taking the Epivir and gave me some homework (reading material).  I am going to see him again in 2 weeks.  After the visit I went to my original doctor's office to sign a release and get copies of his notes and the lab results.  I have to bring this to my infectious disease doctor before my next visit.

...And that's my story.  Tonight, my friends are taking me out to dinner for my birthday.

My emotions have been all over the map these last couple of months.  I feel like the world has fallen under a twilight like this video game I've been playing.  I have been involved in taking jazz, modern, and aerial dance classes and low-flying trapeze.  It has been difficult for me to go to those classes these last couple of months because of my constant worrying and anxiety, but when I go, it does take my mind off of things.  The doctor was reassuring today, but when I started reading the material he gave me, I became scared and worried again.  A part of me would like to believe that a cure will be found within 10 years, but another part believes that it's more profitable for drug companies to keep people alive with "life-long treatment."  So they have no real incentive to find a cure.  Hopefully, that part of me is wrong.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Re: Worst Birthday Ever.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:25:54 pm »
minus,

A few days before my 34th birthday in 1989 I got my test results.  I don't remember anything about that birthday but I've gone through 16 more since then.  Testing poz is not the end of one's life.  You can still take classes and enjoy activities as much as you've done before.  Lots of people using these forums are actively engaged in school, work, and pursuing goals without being hindered by HIV. 

You're right that how you became infected doesn't matter and you need to focus on your needs now as an HIV+ person.  Every person who tests poz goes through her/his own period of grief, anger, fear, sadness, and other emotions.  What you feel now is natural and you should allow yourself to go through the range of feelings as best you can.  Talking to a good friend or counselor or therapist might help you with the process.

A viral load of 20,700 is pretty low but until your CD4 count is known you have to wait.  Easy to say, I know.  Your CD4 count will probably be pretty good and you won't have to worry about meds for some time with such a low viral load.  When you start meds you will probably have an easier time of it thanks to the thousands of people who were guinea pigs during much of the 80s and 90s and the number of treatment options available in 2007.

This birthday will be the first of many more to come and next year you'll probably be in a much better frame of mind.  I'm sorry you're blue on your birthday but it's certainly understandable.  Maybe you can forget about HIV for a short time tonight and enjoy the company of people who love you. 

Happy birthday anyway! 

Take care,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:32:34 pm »
Hello there.
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Listen try to calm down and it does no good trying to remember how and who gave it to you. It's hard to accept it but if u read alot of posts in the forum it is better to have found out now than in the hospital.

What are your CD4 counts? They should have given it to you when they gave you your viral load. THey usually ask you to wait 1-2 weeks but they usually have the results in 5-7 days so give them a call and find out.

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline UALaw77

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:14:33 pm »
Happy birthday!

I know that may seem inappropriate in light of what is undoubtedly a most unfelicitous development in your life.  I can totally relate.  I am also 29, and I was also diagnosed less than a month ago after a similarly inexplicable timetable of possible exposures.  I haven't gotten my first CD4/viral load count back.  But I have already resolved not to permit this challenge to steal my happiness.  I am fortunate in that I am healthy and that I have wonderfully supportive people in my life.  In some ways, HIV has made me MORE appreciative of my blessings and MORE sensitive to the hidden heartaches that others have in their lives.  I pray that, in time, you might rediscover all the things in your life that are still cause for joy.  Accordingly, I pray that today might be yet another

Happy birthday!

Offline rick21007

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:09:56 pm »
Really sorry you are hiv---the timing of the news really sucks, but am waiting to here when a good time to here this would be!   I found out myself on December 11th so everything you expressed is still pretty fresh for me too.

You will find that for what reason I have yet to figure out this board seems to attract people with the biggest hearts you can imagine.  You probably noticed just reading the responses to your posts.

Anyway glad you are here.  Stick around,  The company is pretty cool here.

Rick

Offline koi1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:21:45 pm »
Hey,

I think of the date I found out as my new birthday. I was never much for celebrating my legitimate one, but I think that fateful day this past 11/20 will be a time to rejoice, as I hopefully will be in a much better state of physical and emotional health a year from now.

You have the advantage of knowing your status which will allow you to take care of yourself, as all the data points to the abuse of the body as a sure progression to AIDS. You will also not potentially infect others unkowingly. I feel very badly that I may have infected someone, though I don't know for sure.

I am getting over my shock and each day I am more hopeful. It took a month and three weeks to get on meds as when I found out my t cells were at 97 and I had the beginning of PCP.

Since you appear to know that your infection was recent, you will probably be healthy for a long time before you will start taking meds. That's also a good thing. We become very good at looking on the bright side when we are
afflicted with this condition. I hope this skill will soon be part of your repretoire, once the shock, denial, disbelief, and self hating wears off.

Welcome to this place of support hope and venting. Good Luck

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline minus_25

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:30:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support.  Your posts are comforting to read.

Last night my friends took me out for my birthday and I had a great time. Tonight I have a fabric/trapeze lesson which makes me feel good.  I just hope I can keep my strength up for it.

My next doctor's visit is in 2 weeks.  I do not currently have a CD4 count because the lab only ran the test for a viral load count.  When I see the doctor on the next visit, he'll draw blood for that and other things I suppose.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:36:47 pm »
Hello,

I am sorry about your diagnosis, but I am happy you had a great birthday with your friends!!  Happy belated!!

This is a difficult time, please take care and lean on us here!  There are many fellow travelors!  Take it one day at a time and keep doin' what you love!!!  Keep livin'!!!  There is a lot of beauty and hope in this great life...

Luv and support,
Drew

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:30:55 am »
Crazy about the birthday thing. I had gone to a bath house where they were giving the HIV test and since I had tested Neg 6 months prior I took another one. Suprise this one was poz. I had to wait 3 weeks to get my final back and it was poz too. This happened shortly after my 39th birthday in November. So far all is well. Am waiting to see the infection doctor after a complete std workup. I too have been looking at life differently in that I am going to do some of the things that I have always wanted to do like skydiving. REMEMBER this is NOT a death sentence. Average life with HIV is 24 years. I have a friend that has been poz for 22 years and is golden as far as health goes. A positive outlook is the key. I work in a hospital for mental illness and I am here to tell you that the mind has extreme powers dude. You can make yourself sick with worry. I have surrounded myself with friends that are HIV+ and they have been my life jacket through this fucking desease that has invaded me but I am not going to let it win. I am going to find that special guy that wants me for me and move on. All I can do is take it as it comes. Look at all of the soldiers that are dieing at such young ages (19,20) and be glad that you are still here and can fight this thing. Get mad at it, it seems to help me sometimes. Love God and put it on his shoulders. Tell him you cannot do it alone and he will help. If you have never read FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND read it. It helps me when I find myself getting down. 
Meds doing well so far.

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:03:13 pm »
indy....im glad to hear someone else say the thing about looking at CNN and these 'kids' dying at 19...20...21  and so forth in battle and saying to myself.... 'c it could b worse' i felt guilty about it.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 10:56:24 pm »
Crazy about the birthday thing. I had gone to a bath house where they were giving the HIV test and since I had tested Neg 6 months prior I took another one. Suprise this one was poz. I had to wait 3 weeks to get my final back and it was poz too. This happened shortly after my 39th birthday in November. So far all is well. Am waiting to see the infection doctor after a complete std workup. I too have been looking at life differently in that I am going to do some of the things that I have always wanted to do like skydiving. REMEMBER this is NOT a death sentence. Average life with HIV is 24 years. I have a friend that has been poz for 22 years and is golden as far as health goes. A positive outlook is the key. I work in a hospital for mental illness and I am here to tell you that the mind has extreme powers dude. You can make yourself sick with worry. I have surrounded myself with friends that are HIV+ and they have been my life jacket through this fucking desease that has invaded me but I am not going to let it win. I am going to find that special guy that wants me for me and move on. All I can do is take it as it comes. Look at all of the soldiers that are dieing at such young ages (19,20) and be glad that you are still here and can fight this thing. Get mad at it, it seems to help me sometimes. Love God and put it on his shoulders. Tell him you cannot do it alone and he will help. If you have never read FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND read it. It helps me when I find myself getting down. 
average life is 24 years??? thats not very encouraging dude, is that fact?

Offline indyguy

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:25 am »
As per my care person it is a fact that average life is 24 years from diag. Just remember though 10 years ag we did not have the meds we have today
Meds doing well so far.

Offline koi1

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 08:21:58 am »
Just remember if that 24 year figure is correct, it includes everybody. From those that don't take care of themselves to those who do. At the hospital that I get treated they told me they could count on one hand the people that died last year and they treat hundreds of patients. Of those that died, one died of old age, one refused to follow the regimen afer things got complicated with a superingection, one kept somking and drinking heavily...My doc told me it is rare to have the "model paitient" die with today's options.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 09:48:45 am »
As per my care person it is a fact that average life is 24 years from diag. Just remember though 10 years ag we did not have the meds we have today

dont mean to be a dope here,just so i understand:
your careperson told you 10 years ago the 24 years was the average life span OR she/he means today even with all the new meds 24 years?

Offline indyguy

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:16 am »
As of today the average is 24 years. You can also find this info online.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline indyguy

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 09:54:34 am »
Look at the other respones though. You can live to be a old man/woman these days. Taking care of yourself. Eating roigh. Limit use of boose ect. This is an average number and like the other person said that taking care of yourself is the key. I dont want to scare you at all. I am going though the exact same thing you are right know. Dont panic. Keep positive and just live.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 09:59:57 am »
...My doc told me it is rare to have the "model paitient" die with today's options.

rob
[/quote]

Ditto Rob---I was told by my primary care physician and by my brother (who for years was one of only two periodontists in California who would take hiv patients.) that hiv _does not_ shorten one's life, given the present treatment available.

BTW last week I had my first treatment appt. with my naturopathic physician. I signed a release of information with her so she will be able to work with my hiv doctor (who I don't see until next week.)  She started me on a regimen of vitamins, minerals and supplements including selenium and maitake mushroom extract which is a natural anti-viral.  She faxed the regimen to my hiv doc and in turn requested copies of all of my labs.  My goal working with her is as an adjunct to whatever treatment my hiv doc prescribes.  Ah! and I joined a gym and started a daily weight training routine as well.  Used to be a gym rat once upon a time. Was surprised that I still remembered my old routines.  Will be interesting to see over the next few months if my labs reflect any impact from a holistic approach since I do not anticipate being on meds for a while.

Best,  Rick

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 11:10:41 am »
Look at the other respones though. You can live to be a old man/woman these days. Taking care of yourself. Eating roigh. Limit use of boose ect. This is an average number and like the other person said that taking care of yourself is the key. I dont want to scare you at all. I am going though the exact same thing you are right know. Dont panic. Keep positive and just live.

too late,i'm scared.. :o, but i'll be ok
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:12:30 am by dingowarrior »

Offline indyguy

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 11:30:57 am »
Sup dude. I have been lucky in having friends that are poz ok. I know you are scared I was too. I assume you must be young how old are you? I am 39 and have been working with people with hiv for years so I guess thats part of the reason I am not sweating it as much. I am going though all of the appts now and yes is sucks but I just deal with it. Hit me back if you wanna chat. Later
Meds doing well so far.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:59:05 pm »
Minus --
I am so sorry about your diagnosis.  I truly understand how much it sucks.  I started my medication on my last birthday (September 23, 2006) so its all still fresh in my mind. 

What I can say is you've found a great place to get support.  The folks on this site are wonderful and have been a godsend.  Feel free to use all the resources here to help you get through this initial time.  Also, enjoy your friends and the time you can spend with them.  I know its hard to believe now, but once you get the bug under control, you will be able to go back to having days where you don't even think about having HIV.

TSW
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:28 am »
I would not give alot of credance to that magic figure of 24... Yesterday's therapies, not tomorrows.. 

Offline minus_25

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 08:52:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for the support.  I must admit that I have been depressed a lot and had several breakdowns, but am slowly trying to get on with my life.  It's really hard when I'm by myself with my thoughts.

Offline Central79

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 10:54:06 am »
Hey

I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I've been diagnosed for a year, just coming up, and it's been a real rollercoaster. I've written about this at length elsewhere, if you wanna check my other posts.

As a medical student, planning to become an HIV physician (now!) I was pretty interested to read about this figure of "24 years". This is pretty pessimistic. A recent study published by a Danish group estimates a median survival of about 40 years for a 25 year old diagnosed today, provided you are HCV negative. If you also have HCV, it drops somewhat. But this is based on what's available now, and I think there are some pretty exciting developments in the pipeline. I think if you look after yourself, you will undoubtedly be here for the cure - whether that is eradication of HIV, or turning it off by gene silencing techniques, or whatever...

The reference, for those of you who are interested is: Survival of Persons With And Without HIV Infection In Denmark 1995-2005, Lohse et al., Annals of Internal Medicine 2007 Vol 146; p. 87-95.

Cheers,

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »
most grateful for that info Matt!

Offline Esquare

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 11:30:27 pm »
Thanks for stopping Matt. I'd love to hear from you more often.

Offline HammyJ

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:39 pm »
Hey guy....like you, I feel I got "the bite" from oral sex...but  of course, its no point in dwelling on how we got it...I like you went through a depressed patch too...then I got angry that no stinkin' virus was going to cheat me out of a decent lifespan...I chanelled that anger into thinking positively....and with a little luck, good health care, and taking care of myself...I'm still alive and kicking almost seventeen years later...Please remember the great strides they are making in treating HIV....they have meds(if you should ever have to use them)coming down the pike that make todays stuff look crude....So hang in there, try not to worry(tough I know!).....you can look foward to a full and long life....:)

take care of yourself,
HammyJ

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 04:01:25 pm »
Minus - welcome.  I got the final confirmation of my results on my birthday in 2006, and I too believe I contracted it from oral sex.  Hang in there - it was only 9 months ago for me, but seems like forever.  Things will get better, and your life got a lot more 'interesting' but it is far from over.

I attended a speech given by Magic Johnson this week - wow, if there was ever a person who could make you feel like your life will be ok, it is him.  He has been positive for 15 years, looks great, and has had a wildly successful career the entire time. 

One thing that helped me - don't be alone.  I agree, that is the worst time.  Stay involved with friends, your career and other things that can keep you centered.  The bad days are not as bad when you have things going on. 

Stay strong.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 04:03:26 pm by SoSadTooBad »

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 11:26:57 pm »
Well, today is my 29th birthday and I had my first appointment with an infectious disease doctor.  Yesterday, my primary care doctor told me I was HIV positive with viral load count of 20,700.  I swear I must have contracted it orally, but in the end, I guess it doesn't matter.  What's done is done.  For what it's worth, here is my story:

November 9 - went to bath house and had protected sex with several guys, but not protected oral.  Only one guy came and I made it a point to check the condom.

November 23 - Developed a fever of 100.5 and vomited a couple of times.  There was no stuffy nose, no sore throat, and no body aches accompanying this fever.  It lasted about 2 days.

December 1 - I developed a rash like the one on this page - http://www.hiv.bg/hivskin.english.htm.  It was on my torso, back, arms, and upper legs.  The rash was not itchy and I had no other symptoms with it - no fever, no aches, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no sore throat, nothing.  My best friend did notice that my face seemed a little swollen though (lymph nodes?).

December 4 - I went to the doctor with the rash.  He gave me a shot of something in the office and prescribed me mehylprednisolone and hydroxyzine.

December 6 - The rash subsided.

December 7 - I was worried at this point and gave blood at a clinic for my first HIV test.  It would take two weeks for the result.

December 15 - I coudn't wait for those results so I went to my doctor's office and gave them blood to be tested for all STDs including HIV, which I did sign for.  The doctor told me the following week that everything is fine with my tests.  This was a relief, so I figured not to worry about the test at the clinic.

Before Christmas but after I received doctor's office test result - The clinic called and told me they had an indeterminate result and wanted me to give more blood sample.  I couldn't come in until after Christmas though because I was leaving town.

January 2 - I went to see a counselor at the first clinic and he told me that I had a reactive ELISA test and an indeterminate WB test.  I told them about my doctor's test and gave them more blood.

January 3 -  I started freaking out so I went to a different clinic for a rapid HIV Oraquick test.  The test was reactive.  They wanted to take blood to confirm, but I told them I am already having that done.  After the test, I called my doctor and he had me come in and told me to take a Viral Load test the next morning and also prescribed me Epivir (once a day).

January 4 - I gave blood for the Viral load test in the morning.  I told someone I've kind of been seeing about what I was going through and he freaked out on me.  I took him to get a rapid test and it was negative which was a relief.

January 8 - The doctor told me the bad news about the viral load test.  That evening I told my best friend what I went through and the bad news.

January 9 - I went to see the infectious disease doctor for a consultation.  Unfortunately, he didn't have the lab results at this time released from my other doctor's office.  He seemed reassuring and kind of theraputic, asking me my feelings, what I've been thinking, etc.  He also told me to stop taking the Epivir and gave me some homework (reading material).  I am going to see him again in 2 weeks.  After the visit I went to my original doctor's office to sign a release and get copies of his notes and the lab results.  I have to bring this to my infectious disease doctor before my next visit.

...And that's my story.  Tonight, my friends are taking me out to dinner for my birthday.

My emotions have been all over the map these last couple of months.  I feel like the world has fallen under a twilight like this video game I've been playing.  I have been involved in taking jazz, modern, and aerial dance classes and low-flying trapeze.  It has been difficult for me to go to those classes these last couple of months because of my constant worrying and anxiety, but when I go, it does take my mind off of things.  The doctor was reassuring today, but when I started reading the material he gave me, I became scared and worried again.  A part of me would like to believe that a cure will be found within 10 years, but another part believes that it's more profitable for drug companies to keep people alive with "life-long treatment."  So they have no real incentive to find a cure.  Hopefully, that part of me is wrong.

Hey Minus,

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis.   Those intial days and weeks were pure Hell for me as well.   Everything does get better with time.   I was diagnosed in March last year.   Thank you for taking the time to put down a chronology of the events you went through.

That link you provided gave me flashbacks.   I had that exact skin rash on my body and it's the first time I was able to see an example.   It also confirmed the fact that I knew exactly when and how I contracted HIV.   Even though there was no doubt in my mind I had always second guessed myself wondering if my ex had lied about his status even though we'd both been tested negative.   

Anyways, it sounds like you are doing all the right things now.   Main thing is to continue on with your life and goals.   It's gona be a bumpy ride for a while. 

There are plenty of people with years more experience than me, but holler if I can help answer some of your questions. 

Hang in there!

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.