Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:58:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 632
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: is there a chance to be negative?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline japjap

is there a chance to be negative?
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
I just like to ask that if you are reactive with their initial test with the "pregnancy-like" HIV test kit, is there a possibility that you could be negative to ELISA and Western Blot?

I was just told this afternoon that my blood was reactive to HIV, and further confirmatory test would be done. I don't know what to do. I don't blame anyone with this, but I don't know where to start. I told my mom, and she starts worrying about my health. I currently have no job, and can't sustain myself. I really need your expert advice. Thank you friends.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: is there a chance to be negative?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:25:15 pm »
Japjap,

false positives can (and do) happen, especially when using a rapid-test.  The only way to be absolutely sure is by means of a Western Blot test.

Hopefully you will get good news when all is said and done.

In the meantime, until your test is confirmed, please be sure to restrict your posts and interactions to this thread.  It will be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Lad_Liam

• it's a hitchhiker, not a hijacker
Re: is there a chance to be negative?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:10 am »
Hey japjap
Sorry to hear you're in this situation but welcome to the best place on the net for + information and experience.

As the reverend said, western blot is the only way to know. I know it's hard waiting in limbo.

You can still be proactive about the rest of you life though, as this news or this virus won't stop that. 

You express concern about your work situation. I wonder if there is anything you can do to think about where you would like to head work-wise, and how to get there?

Whatever the test says, you will still want to be having a long, healthy meaningful life.

Without wanting to add to your worries or pressure, could being proactive in this area be a way to feel like thou have some control at the moment? Preparing for job applicataions, getting your cv in order, volunteering, study, vacancy surfung? Just making a plan can make me feel more reassured.

Nobody can control the time periods required for this testing, and I know from experience that worrying about it minute-by-minute as it happens will only hurt unnecessarily.

My advice as a recently poz person is Try and be gently on yourself and to not stress out too much. Express the pain but don't let it rule you. This is not the end of anything, and at the moment it's an unconfirmed screening test, so best idea, as you are doing, is to seek info and support.

I congratulate you on posting here. My advice is to Find out the facts about the testing procedures, time windows, etc, so that you are not afraid of fictions. When i was indeterminate i knew i had to mentally Prepare myself for the test to go either way, but the side that needed most work was the + side.  That was 3 moths ago, so I know anyone can cope whatever happens, cause I have, and I'm just a regular guy.

Cheers

Liam

a new dark passenger joins the ride

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.