Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 635
Total: 635

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can POZ study abroad, UK? help please any1  (Read 3595 times)

Offline alonedee

Can POZ study abroad, UK? help please any1
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »
Hi guys i nid this info as soon as i can to decide my fate, i would like to know the proceedures of getting accepted to study a short course in the UK, do i go through medical tests when i apply for visa and before i can be admitted,donno if ths wl help but i will be self-sponsoring the studies , plse help i am from Botswana, Southern Africa

Offline benjiboy

Re: Can POZ study abroad, UK? help please any1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
Hi Alonedee,

As far as I'm aware, your HIV status should not be a barrier to your coming to the UK to study. You do need to be able to prove you have the financial support for your studies while you're here. You can find more information from the UK Border Agency (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/student/requirements/). HIV care for foreign nationals is now free in the UK as well (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17187179), although this does take some time to sort out (possibly longer than you will be here for), so you will need to make sure you have continuity of care if you're on medication.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies.

Ben

Offline alonedee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:23:46 am »
Thank you so much ben, that is such a relieve on my part, a lot of hiv+ have been denied school sponsorship abroad by my government.
thanks again

Offline Peacock

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:35 am »
if you have family or know anybody in the UK that you can provide accomidation , then that would be a big plus. Basically you need to be able to prove thet you can be self sufficient...that you have accomodation and a means to provide for yourself.
If you can get a guaranteed job in the UK then youre all set!because all it will take is a letter from your employer to state that they need your services,and would like you to stay on...
I wish you all the best, You never know when a stroke of GOOD LUCK will come your way!
XSteve
By the way, my sister was a nurse at Addington Hospital in South Africa and a recruitment company visited the hospital to recruit willing Nurses who want a career in the UK. Some of her friends also got recruited even though they never had a British passport...any part of the 'medical field' is a great stepping stone if you want to travel.(Nursing, Ambulance services, lab technician for a pathology lab, etc..)
Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:24:42 am »

If you can get a guaranteed job in the UK then youre all set!because all it will take is a letter from your employer to state that they need your services,and would like you to stay on...

This statement needs some research - I believe one cannot work while in the UK on a student VISA.

I'd look into it myself for you, but I just don't have time right now. I'll try to do some digging later on today or tomorrow morning.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LM

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:06:24 am »
It is possible to work in the UK with a student visa, I did. But I know things have changed a bit since then. I think if you're at university, you can only work 20 hours per week during term time, and if it's anything else, only 10.

Offline alonedee

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »
Well thank you all for your response, initially a friend wanted me to come visit and find a job there since shes a citizen herself, shes married there, but then she said that things have changed, u cant look for work while visiting and so she suggested that i come over as a student, she said that shel give supporting documents and so will my husband who will be paying for the studies, according to her once i am studying there it should be easier to get a part-time job, Ann i will be waiting for what you have found out, i dont want to raise my hopes but i am keeping my fingers crossed.. again thank you

Offline Peacock

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:07 pm »
sorry Alonedee, My post was refering to you entering the UK as a skilled worker..via a 'sponsor' company that needs your experience. (ie Nursing,etc..)
(and then studying further once youve got your foot in the door)
Your post specifically queries studying in the UK, that I know nothing about, but check out: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk , there is info on studying in the UK.
(I dont know how to do a link.)  ::)
Cheers, and Good luck, Steve
Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »
You will be entitled to free NHS care if you are studying full-time for more than 6 months, or less than 6 if the course is substantially funded by the British Government. Emergency treatment, eg for an accident, will always be free.

Getting a study visa is a different matter. You will need proof you have been accepted on a recognised course and have the means to support yourself while studying. You will not (officially) need a medical. But practically speaking being asked to show you are free from TB is quite likely. The funds you will need to show you have to support yourself might be as high as £1,000 (Rand 10,000) a month of your stay (plus course fees). Study visas are issued annually.

Hope his helps.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:14 am »
oops, redundant post. sorry.

All the best with your student visa application. As long as you have a secure admission and funds in place, the visa shouldn't be a problem, I reckon.

Best
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:42:17 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.