Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:10:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772949
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 465
Total: 466

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: anyone fear getting sick caused by going back to work?  (Read 9544 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

anyone fear getting sick caused by going back to work?
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »
just wondering if anyone feels as what i'm about the write

I tend to remember the good old days at the start of the week. You know, when I had a career.

I liked what I did a lot and it was a core port of who I was in my 20's and the early part of this decade too.

I figure this would go into Mental Health because I think if I stop kidding myself the truth is I have  a huge fear of getting sick (again) from the stress of a full time job

sigh! Thanks

Offline Iggy

Re: anyone fear getting sick caused by going back to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:33 pm »
I'm not sure if it is an irrational fear at all.

In my current job, I am in a room, that is a branch off of another room - with no window that can open - and there are three of us who sit there - and two of them seem to not have the vaguest idea of how to cover their mouths or nose when they sneeze.

I am constantly wiping down everything  on my desk with antibacterial wipes. and spraying my coworkers with Lysol. 

What makes it worse is that one of my coworkers has kids so he always has one of those fucking childhood germs on him.

grrrrrr

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:30 am »
Hello Alex,

To answer your question, at this particular time, I do not have that fear of work creating so much stress that I would/could become sick. And in my current position ( where I work), I have about 5 weeks of vacation/sick time(PTO)  stored. There is a certain amount of stress on my job, dealing with distraught residents families, but I handle it very well and professionally.

I can only tell you, that I am not able to perform the same job functions, as I was able to prior to 2004. I  can also tell you, that working full time, pretty much wipes me out. My first day off, on my weekend, is usually spent sleeping, and trying to recover. By the time I go back to work on Sunday night, I am pretty good for the work week.

When the neuropathy was kicking in, I grabbed at the opportunity ( within the same company) to take a change of jobs, which was both less physical, and I didn't have to deal with any of the stress that I had in the previous position. One of the great things was, I am now off my feet. Unfortunately one of the bad things about this new position( of which I have now been in about 3 years) is that I don't get the physical activity. And I do miss that. All my jobs that I have ever had, kept me in excellent shape.

It's tough to have to change careers. I would love to be able to do the work that I was trained to do, but there is no way that, that is possible.I don't think that I could handle it physically, and I don't want to attempt it. I was very fortunate that the position had opened up, and I am still in that position today, doing quite well, with the minimum amount of stress, which I believe helps to keep me healthy. We all know that stress is not good for us. My partner is HIV negative, and the stress that his job was causing him was making him physically and mentally sick. He decided to retire. He's a new person.

I am also fortunate in my job to have great benefits, which allow me to take time off, just about when I want to. I took two days off, the other week, when I had a summer cold. In fact, our company, encourages us to take sick time off, so that employees may not spread bugs around to the residents.

Also, we don't get sick days. Our company stopped that about 8 years ago. When we are sick, it is deducted from our PTO time ( payed time off) , automatically. I am also fortunate, that our company has a very generous PTO policy, and a good medical insurance. ( of which I am going to try everything to hang onto that !

I keep a very large amount of PTO stored up, just in case something comes up, and I have to take some sick time off. And I am grateful that I haven't needed to use that, other than for vacation time, a couple days here and there.

Alex, I also remember those good ole days .... Seems like a very long time ago.

Alex, I've also got to say, that it does get a little tougher each day, week, month, for me. Seems I have to get an earlier start in the evening, to get myself motivated, to get into work ! There are plenty of nights prior to going in to work, where I would much rather have a couple extra hours of sleep, and say"screw it ". There is no doubt, that I am getting tired...

Take care of yourself--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:12:56 pm »
Stress can be a major factor in your overall health.

I took a job that put me at a higher professional level.  For a while I was thrilled at the opportunity.  I soon found that the new job came with an unusual amount of stress.  I was the go to person for everything and the constant morale booster trying to undo the residue of past ill staff treatments and move everyone to success.  At the same time a few family members and friends were faced with medical, emotional and financial needs and were looking to me for help.  It all got to be too much.  My CD4 started a steady decline from 550 to 300 the last eight months on the job. I had not changed meds.  As a twenty year HIV survivor I was doing very well on my meds wth 550 CD4 and no-detectable viral load. 

I was on the job for a total of 18 months before it relocated cross country several months ago.  As someone who has worked since the age of seven, this is first time in my life that I have been without a job. I've been looking for another position over the last several months. I hope to find something less stressful.

My CD4 is now over 600 and I remain non-detectable.  I feel so much at peace now. Family and friends are taken of and I informed everyone I can not handle that level of stress anymore.  I have my insurance and the bills are paid for six months.  I will also finish my graduate degree soon.   Take if from me, your health (mental and physical) is most important as it will allow you to better enjoy life, your job, family, and friends.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:25:53 am »
I think it's definitely normal. I was always a neat freak and germ-neurotic so Purell wipes by the case have been a staple for awhile.

Whever I start to get run down or worried about getting sick, I just make sure I slow down some and tell myselfmy numbers are good and if I get sick, my ID doc is just a phone call away. I do what I'm supposed to do and that's all I can do.

:)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 04:23:04 am »
I lost my job last May and I am still looking.  I am panicking about no income, but you bring up a good point.  I have really had some good "down time" since not working.  I have neck and back problems that I have been able to address over the summer, and I fear that going back to work will just aggravate them.  I DO need to work, though, because I have found that sitting home with no money leaves me alone with my thoughts.  I need structure in my day, and I certainly need an income, so I just need to learn to put "me first" when I find a new job.

Easier said than done.

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:15:04 pm »
I had some reservations at my current job when I found out I was HIV positive. I'm an RN who works in critical care around sick people. I work full time, have done so since I've been HIV+ had CD4 of 30 when I was first dx, and now CD4 between 400- 500 range consistently. I personally think work has helped me keep a better upbeat attitude and has certainly helped with health insurance, money and now retirement.

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 07:39:59 am »
Going back to work was the best thing I did. My ID told me to get back to work as soon as I could. His philosophy is that those of us that can continue to live our lives do the best in our treatment. I had many fears about getting back to work. But I just did not give myself time to think about it. I work with kids all day long in an elementary school. So I deal with buggers and sick kids all the time. I just keep things very clean and try to take good care of myself. I find being productive to be the best thing I can do for myself. It keeps my mind off of my own problems to be the best thing for me. I think I would sit around and think about my condition constantly if I were not working.
Believe me there are days that I drag myself to work, and times I wish that I were not there. But it gives me reason to keep myself going and meaning to my existence. Also I have the benifit of great medical coverage which is one of the things I keep telling myself when I get really tired.
I do have to say when I get home I am more than spent. Sometimes I just crash and it is the end of my day. But I just keep reminding myself that it is worth it. It keeps me around people, gives me consistency in my life, and benifits others as well as myself. I just keep remembering that a life lived in fear is nothing but a life half lived. I for one choose to live a full life as long as I can.
I still worry about getting sick sometimes, but I see my doctors regularly, and find that I take better care of myself when I have something to get up for each morning.
Wishing you all the best.
Peter

Offline joemutt

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:56:15 am »
Happy New Year to you, Alex! To your question : I continued to work but my office is far away from my apartment now (since Nov ; it used to be in one building which allowed me a lot of freedom) and I rarely make it in before 10 am and I need to nap a little in the afternoon; luckily I am the boss  ::)
I created this little ecosystem in which I do rather well but if anything were to disturb it  (more work pressure, controls...) I think I wd have to quit. Also last month the doc told I have arthrosis in my back ( I dont know how much of that is hiv or meds related) so heavy terrain stuff is a no-no, although my job will require it in the future. So there definitely is the fear that after 11 years of relative ease  I will have to let go of my work some day.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 04:58:22 am by joemutt »

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:23:35 pm »
Hi Alex...As friends who live in the same city and have met away from the website we have discussed this...Just as is the case with men in my support group and other friends, if you give up benefits to go back to work they may be most difficult to secure in the future, especially in a serious economic slowdown and with the potential future political leaders of this country (see Huckabee) - Ugh - I'd rather not see, or hear that one ever again, from my mouth to the big Guy/Gal upstairs' ears!!!  ;)

Anyway, I could have gotten SSDI back in the mid-90's but went back to work as I guess it was one of the few certainties I had in life, it was mostly all I knew.
So the stress (I work at a network helpdesk with lots of complaints and pressure) is balanced by a sense of purpose and having goals and a place to go daily and to be a part of.

As it is I have only had one sick leave occurence since May 2004 and that was a 3-day stint last February to have a tooth pulled.  I have built up considerable sick leave and annual leave (vacation time) as a result.

So while I would not be so quick to go back to work in today's environment if I had other benefits, it is something to consider for some people who are able to do so if possible.

A very difficult decision, perhaps life-changing.

Keep us posted, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.