Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:43:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 227
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla...does this feeling go away??????  (Read 15402 times)

Offline hjeffs

Atripla...does this feeling go away??????
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »
 :o OK...Changed my meds after 5 years to atripla. Started last night with techno vivid color dreams that interupted my sleep all night long with fantasy story lines! Then I woke up, kind of with 8 hours of sleep and feel very dizzy. Tell me I will get used to this and the symptoms will pass after my system gets balance with the med change. PLEASE. I know meds have effects and the results of these feelings are better than not taking meds but really? OK...I'll stop complaining but have to vent. I have been stable on the other meds for 5 years and things were good and seamed normal. With the change I have felt the fear of this desease again and all that comes with it. I work allot and have a more than active life.

Now that I have this out I have to acknowledge how grateful I am for the meds and the life I lead today but someone tell me something. Any tips on taking before I go to bed or anything that helps with this feeling? HELP. Thanks for listening or sharing.

Offline ik

Re: Atripla...does this feeling go away??????
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »
Hi there - I am using my BF account but I read your message and thought I would reply.  I cant speak from experience but I can from what my BF tells me.  He has been taking ATRIPLA for 31 days now.

Originally he also had vivid dreams and felt not all to clever but over the month the side affects did calm down for him although they are not totally gone.... yet.

One thing he does, which he says helps, is not eat 2 hours before taking the pill and 1 hour after.  He says that helps.  Also, I notice that he says sitting down or laying down feels better than moving about.

I am not sure if you are drinking alcohol or not. I have asked my BF not to drink until his viral load is zero as I worry this might create bigger side affects or affect his liver - as I know at the start of taking ATRIPLA, its a bit heavy on the liver.

From watching and talking to my lovely gorgeous brave man, the side effects are defo reducing and I know before long they won't even bother him.

Anyways, its actually time for him to take his next pill and I need to go and watch to see it goes down.  Just a little thing we do so we know its definitely in there doing its stuff :)

Let me know how you get on, hope all is well. xxxx
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:37:06 pm by ik »

Offline ik

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »
hello its ik the bf on atripla> everything my bf said is true and exactly how i would put it. the first 3 nights were a little terrifying but than the vivid dreams calmed and i started to sleep better. i take tablet about 10pm and day 6 i woke up at 4am for work and was completely out of it. that feeling has now gone, when i wake for my early shift i have no dizziness anymore. just hang on in there.

i noticed the 2nd week i felt much more energy and not as tired as i was before i started atripla. i have had a little cold past few days and have felt run down and a little tired but once i shake this cold off i am sure i will start feeling better again and more energy. i suppose a common cold can make anyone feel how ive felt these past few days.

just get in touch if you need any help and either of us will be happy to help. i promise it does get better, i believe fully over the coming months the side affects will lessen agin. when i have took my tablet at 10 ive noticed the side affects kick in an hour or so later but an hour or so after than they have gone. i have spent many an evening sat with family and friends untill 3am having a laugh.

hope you have a good night and a good sleep,
think good thoughts
happy dreaming
best wishes xx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:39 pm »
I have been stable on the other meds for 5 years and things were good and seamed normal.

Sorry to here this, it does tent to pass. I would like to ask, if all was well on the old combo why did you change>

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline roland69uk

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:46 pm »
Hi, am new on here, but have been reading some good posts regarding atripla,
i have been positive since oct 2003 and my blood count today was CD4=429 and VL=134,576,
i have found that for the last year i have always been tired and had no energy to do much, i was on truvada, fosamprenavir and ritonavir for a year in 2008/09 but i was advised to stop taking them as my blood were fine at the time,
i am feeling even more tired lately hence the reason why i have been given atripla, my CD4 is ok but my VL is high,
i have not started taking them yet though, had a late meal so will start them tomorrow,
i was told regarding wierd dreams but i cant see that being a problem anyway.

will probably post again in a few days to report on how things are going, ok its late now and i am going to bed,

Roland.   :) :)
Roland

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:38 pm »
i was on truvada, fosamprenavir and ritonavir for a year in 2008/09 but i was advised to stop taking them as my blood were fine at the time

I don't understand what you mean by this -- doctors don't yank patients off of HIV treatment because their numbers improve.  Once you go on you stay on.

btw, welcome to the forums :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:10:12 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:41 pm »
The first night of Atripla sucks. It felt like I dopped some really strong acid.  The second night is about 90% better and it improves from there.  It all evens out.  I even had some (have) some side effects from it that I like!!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline roland69uk

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:30:17 am »
I don't understand what you mean by this -- doctors don't yank patients off of HIV treatment because their numbers improve.  Once you go on you stay on.

btw, welcome to the forums :)

their wasn't a problem with my counts at the time, my doctor tried me on those meds because i was tired all the time, but they didn't make any difference whatsoever, i spoke to my doctor at the time and he said i could come off them, simples
Roland

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:32:55 am »
their wasn't a problem with my counts at the time, my doctor tried me on those meds because i was tired all the time, but they didn't make any difference whatsoever, i spoke to my doctor at the time and he said i could come off them, simples

You're either woefully undereducated about how HIV medication works or understating the conversation that occurred between you and your doctor.  Something about your commentary makes no sense.

Offline roland69uk

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:25 am »
You're either woefully undereducated about how HIV medication works or understating the conversation that occurred between you and your doctor.  Something about your commentary makes no sense.

Your right about one thing i don't know how HIV medication works and i probably should know more (thats the reason why i came on here) but that is what happened with my doctor!!
Roland

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:50:31 am »
Your right about one thing i don't know how HIV medication works and i probably should know more (thats the reason why i came on here) but that is what happened with my doctor!!

When you begin HIV medications it's to suppress a viral load.  This usually has the effect of promoting CD4 growth as it is no longer dealing with the virus running rampant.  Side effects aren't a reason to quit medication but a reason to change medication.  Any time you come off of medication there is a chance of developing a resistance to the medication that was present in your system.  This could seriously limit your options for treatment further down the road.

Offline roland69uk

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:16 am »
When you begin HIV medications it's to suppress a viral load.  This usually has the effect of promoting CD4 growth as it is no longer dealing with the virus running rampant.  Side effects aren't a reason to quit medication but a reason to change medication.  Any time you come off of medication there is a chance of developing a resistance to the medication that was present in your system.  This could seriously limit your options for treatment further down the road.

"When you begin HIV medications it's to suppress a viral load."  YES i am aware of that.

"Side effects aren't a reason to quit medication but a reason to change medication." I never mentioned having side effects, in FACT i did not have a problem and the side effects were minimal!.

"This could seriously limit your options for treatment further down the road." I am also aware of this too, my doctor told me at the time..

Roland

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:21 am »
"When you begin HIV medications it's to suppress a viral load."  YES i am aware of that.

"Side effects aren't a reason to quit medication but a reason to change medication." I never mentioned having side effects, in FACT i did not have a problem and the side effects were minimal!.

"This could seriously limit your options for treatment further down the road." I am also aware of this too, my doctor told me at the time..

This is hurting my head.  You were responding to Philicia who was responding to someone else I think.  If you're not coming off of meds completely.  Then none of this makes any sense.  Anyway time for work for me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:40:24 am »
Hi, am new on here, but have been reading some good posts regarding atripla,
i have been positive since oct 2003 and my blood count today was CD4=429 and VL=134,576,
i have found that for the last year i have always been tired and had no energy to do much, i was on truvada, fosamprenavir and ritonavir for a year in 2008/09 but i was advised to stop taking them as my blood were fine at the time,
i am feeling even more tired lately hence the reason why i have been given atripla, my CD4 is ok but my VL is high,
i have not started taking them yet though, had a late meal so will start them tomorrow,
i was told regarding wierd dreams but i cant see that being a problem anyway.

will probably post again in a few days to report on how things are going, ok its late now and i am going to bed,

Roland.   :) :)

Hi Roland, welcome to the forums.

I think one point our friends in the US are overlooking is that here in the UK, doctors have a much more conservative approach to starting treatment.

I fully understand what you're saying - your numbers did not warrant treatment when you started, but you started to see if treatment would improve your fatigue issues. It didn't, so you stopped treatment with the blessings of your doctor.

My own doctor (in Liverpool) and I have in the past discussed my starting treatment to see if it would resolve my chronic hiv-related diarrhea, but he said in his (other patients) experience, treatment rarely resolved this particular problem.

However, that was a few years ago. Currently, the Merseyside NHS trust will not permit a patient to start if they have over 500 CD4s at the time of initiation. I was all set to start treatment at the end of last year as I had had a count under 500 for a few blood draws and I was having other problems such as thrush. However, my last result came in at just over 500 so the treatment option was taken off the table. Luckily, I have not had any recent problems like I was having last late summer/autumn.

Good luck with the Atripla, Roland. Many people have no problems with this combo once the initial side-effects calm down. May I ask what your current CD4 count is? I'm just interested to know if your health care trust has a similar attitude to not allowing treatment when over 500.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline roland69uk

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:48 am »
Hi ann as of yesterday my blood count was CD4=429 and VL=134,576.

originally i used to see my doctor in Manchester every 3 months, then it changed to 6 months about 18 months ago, now i have been given atripla i have to go back and see him in 2 weeks to see how things are going but i imagine i will go back to 3 month visits now.

one thing i have read here is that ik says "its a bit heavy on the liver" now in the letter i was given from him it says my "liver test is elevated" it is 68? but that could be the statins i have been on as well, he said he is going to monitor it.

will be starting my meds tonight
Roland

Offline ik

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
Hi Roland69 - this is IK's boyfriend again.

Im sorry to read about the liver problems.  I assume when you write 'elevated' thats not a great sign.  Is this why you came of the meds for something else (ATRIPLA).

Hope things are OK, starting the meds has all these worries and concerns.

Just wanted to say IK and me are thinking of u and good luck, let us know how you get on

Best wishes xx

Offline hjeffs

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Thanks for all the support. A little info about me...I started August 30th 2005 and have been religous about the meds with no alchohol since. Viral load is non detectable and CD count is in the 700's from a starting place of 123. My triglicorides are sky high and hence the reason for a med change. Hey, one foot in front of the other her, grateful for wonderful doctors and the meds. Went from 6 pills a day to 1 all will be well and my system will balance out I know it. was on Koletra and Combivar.  :)

Offline BlueandGold

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 10:13:13 pm »
The feeling does go away.  I my case I am completely surprised that it has gone away before I'm through my first 30 days.  I felt dizzy one night, had dreams another, had a slight rash for a week, but that is now all gone.  I'm on day 18 and feel like a champ.  Incidentally, the diarrhea I had had for the last three months has disappeared. I have decent bowel movements now.   

I had blood work drawn 10 days after I started on Atripla.  I don't expect miracles, but I hope to see some movement in VL numbers when I have my next blood drawn the week of April 4.

Offline ik

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:13 am »
hey thats brilliant news. good luck with your resuts. im on day 44 now and feeling much better. had a good few weeks on it and felt much better, much more energy than i felt over the past couple years. about 2 weeks ago i came down with a cold and have felt a little rundown but am hoping once i shake it off i start feeling better again. i tend to take my tablet between 10pm and 11pm at night due to me working shifts. one thing i am concerned about is the empty stomach, i stop eating for 2 hours before my tablet, i tend to eat what i fancy. than 2 hours later take the tablet, would you mind me asking what your timings are? do you think this is ok?

best wishes to you.
 :)

Offline hjeffs

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »
Yes it is OK by me, if someone has this wired out there ...and it's not me let everyone know. I would.
I am trying the 2 hour deal as well. My schedule is all over the place but trying to eat 2 hours before I take the pill and then 2 hours before I go to bed. This is not an easy one to schedule. I am on day 8 I think and getting better. Really very tired today but it has been a long week and just can't blame everything of Atripla, LOL.
Yesterday was great and the first day I have felt almost normal. I was so very happy. I live a life that there really is no stopping and taking time off to feel better. I am just a bit more gentle with myself and keep placing one step in front of the other. I am looking forward to having a few more weeks ahead of me and not feeling hung over all day long. As long as this pill does it's work I will work along with it!

Thanks for asking and hope all is well with you, each and everyone.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »
I was on it for several months.  The spacey trancy feeling left within a week or two. The vivid dreams remained but not every night.  Be aware that a few people eventually have nervous systems that dont play nice with sustiva. So keep that in mind if you start getting ragey or depressed. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline PVSunset

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:56 am »
Hey Guys- I just found this site and wow, what a help already. I just changed to Atripla after being on TRIZIVIR for 10 years. Yep, 10. Before Changing my CD4 were 625 and VL has been UD for 9.5 years. The only reason we changed was the future availability of Trizivir and the unknown long term effects. So my doc said Atripla was the way to go. I started it on the 8th of March and the dreams the first night were wild and pleasant. I really didn't want to wake up. The next few nights I couldn't fall asleep so the dream cycle didn't hit. I did get the 7 day Atripla rash, all over which I knew could happen, hence the discovery of this site. I googled rash from Atripla and you guys popped up. So I was very happy to read that I was not the only one and it was just part of the getting used to. I have also felt that woozy kind of drunk feeling and I guess that's why it is suggested to take it at bed time. My only issue is that I love my late night snacks, not full  meals, just snacks and hasn't seemed to be a problem. My only concern was if I was diminishing the effectiveness of the drug by eating. My doc said the recommendation to not eat was just to lessen the side effects. So I'll do my labs again in 6 weeks to make sure my liver is handling the change and no resistance ( i think that's the right word). So thanks a lot for all the great info on here. I try to keep updated as much as possible.

Offline Nate

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 05:35:48 am »
For me THE FEELINGS NEVER GOES AWAY...

I take my Viraday at bedtime cuz it makes me VERY dizzy.  But GOD HOW I LOVE THE DREAMS!!!!   :)

If I forget to take my Viraday at night, then I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE MORNING.

My doctor advises against it, and says I should take it in the morning if I forget, but I cant stand the side effects of dizziness and sleepiness, and inability to think str8.

I friend of mine had to stop taking Atripla cuz he had night terrors!  YIKES...  he got to the point the vivid reality of being terrorized everynight was too much for him.

Luckily this has not happened to me yet.
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline hjeffs

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 03:13:38 pm »
OK...this is now March 29th and started the Atripla on the 2nd. I feel so much better without the slow motion feelings thank goodness. I live a very active life and those feelings just are not in my plan! I will continue to believe that this will continue to pass and make nice with my body. My sleep is somewhat interupted at night and really need to have a good 8 hours in order to feel human the next day. I have trited to keep a low fat diet at night and take the pill 2 hourse before bed. My entire system has changed for the better from my other meds and glad for that too. I would think that in another 30 days this will be well integrated into my system for the betterment of my health! :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:42 pm »
I've never gotten over the feelings, same thing every night twenty minutes after taking the atripla. I just take the sleeping pills and go to bed and sleep it off. I see no reason to switch when it works.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.