Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:01:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: keeping pills combination in one container- please advise  (Read 24036 times)

Offline zazi22

keeping pills combination in one container- please advise
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:57:49 am »
hi guys

I just started my ARVs not long ago. I usually get to work early and sometimes work late.

The problem is, its much more convinient for me to keep them in one container( different than the original packaging since not everyone knows about my status) and keep them next to my compter in my office as a reminder, this way its easy for me to remember taking them in the morning and afternoon if I stayed late.

Someone just told me that its not safe to keep different pills in the same container, Im not sure about this but obviusly I would like to know from you guys if one of you have knowledge regarding that.

Thanks

Regards

Zazi
with lots of love always
zazi22

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: keeping pills combination in one container- please advise
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:03:42 am »
Someone just told me that its not safe to keep different pills in the same container

A practical supply for reasonably immediate use (say up to  a month) will be ok unless there are any gel capsules involved. Gel capsules need to be kept separate, but not necessarily in the original container. Also, if you have a tablet which has a thing to prevent moisture absoption in the original bottle, this needs to go into the mix too.  The thing in question will be a plastic roundel or a sachet. Make sure they's not next to a heat vent on your PC.

Good luck.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:09 am »
A practical supply for reasonably immediate use (say up to  a month) will be ok unless there are any gel capsules involved. Gel capsules need to be kept separate, but not necessarily in the original container. Also, if you have a tablet which has a thing to prevent moisture absoption in the original bottle, this needs to go into the mix too.  The thing in question will be a plastic roundel or a sachet. Make sure they's not next to a heat vent on your PC.

Good luck.

- matt

Thanks, oh dapper one, for that little tidbit of info.  I'm glad I checked this thread.  I've been keeping about two week's wroth of meds all in one bottle (a standard orange prescription pill bottle) for ages now.  Truvade, Prezista and Norvir.  The Truvada (I think) has one of those little plastic doohickey things with it - but I've been tossing that away immediately because it clogs up the bottle and gets on muh nerves when I try to get pills out.  So I should be keeping it AND transferring it to my carry-all pill bottle?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:31 am »
The Truvada (I think) has one of those little plastic doohickey things with it - but I've been tossing that away immediately because it clogs up the bottle and gets on muh nerves when I try to get pills out.

I always chuck those pesky things out too. I think how good or bad an idea this is would have to do with how high or low the humidity levels are where you're at. As I live in a very damp part of the world, it's probably a stupid thing to do. Someone living in a desert area can probably get away with it.

Maybe the answer to the clogging issue would be to get a bottle with a wider opening. It's so annoying the way those things always float to the top. I just had an idea - wonder if you could stick it to the bottom or side of the bottle with a tiny piece of blu-tac? Or small piece of doubled-over tape?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:57:23 am »
Someone just told me that its not safe to keep different pills in the same container,
don't forget too that there are many types of daily pill dividers/containers and pill fobs.

I open my meds and divide them all out (grouping all the different pills together in the same container) into two large daily pill containers (divided into morning, lunch, dinner, bedtime Mon-Sun). That way I have a whole month's worth of pills ready to go. The individual time-slots come apart in my pill container, so I can pop out however many I need to take with me. I store the filled daily containers in my sock drawer or on the shelf in my closet. Never the bathroom or kitchen as the humidity and temperature changes are too much in those rooms. Oh, and I throw the desiccant containers away.  :D

I also keep a dose in a pill fob that goes with me on my keychain. Then if I'm out and get invited to dinner or something else comes out, I don't have to worry because I have my "dinner" meds with me. To keep them "fresh", I take the meds and put in new ones once a month.

On a recycling note: I do keep some of my pill bottles and desiccant containers. I use these to package up seeds from this year's garden to be used in next year's planting. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:17 pm »
I portion out my pills into the weekly containers (all daily meds into each day of the week slot..i.e., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.) and the rest remain in the original bottles in a large covered tupperware container kept in a cool cupboard space.  

Since a few of my perscription refill schedules vary, I can also monitor the original bottles as a reminder to call in refills with the correct refill number.  I also know the number of refills left and refill doctor authorizations needed. There have been a few times over the years when the original bottles have come in handy for me to present during a mix up at the Pharmacy.

This system has become a habit and I've done it this way for over 15 years.  It works for me.

;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:29:48 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline newt

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »
I empty out a month's supply into a plastic container and put it in me top drawer. Each night I take some out and swallow em with a beer or glass of wine at dinner.

I also take 5 days worth to work when I renew me script and put a 1 day supply in an old mint tin in me bag. When I get down to opening the last bottles of me combo I know it's time to go for bloods. The 5-6 days supply spare I put in me emergency supply bottle every time I top up me script. Now have 2 months in hand.

Once a month I choose not to take me meds, just because it's my life. It helps me feel normal.

- matt

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
Once a month I choose not to take me meds
here in America that's not a bad idea because it could be a life-saver if your access to meds begins to have issues ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:25:45 am »
Once a month I choose not to take me meds, just because it's my life. It helps me feel normal.

I do it about once every 2 weeks to have a "sane" day away from Atripla.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 01:22:04 pm »
Miss P never skips doses which is why she has 1725 t-cells. :-*

Note: if the mood strikes me to be rebellious, which is rare because I'm comfy as an AIDS victim, I just skip taking my multivitamin and fish oil.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:05 pm »
I do it about once every 2 weeks to have a "sane" day away from Atripla.
Is that dangerous? Ive been on Atripla for about a week and a half now, and I be terrified if I ever missed a dose. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »
Skipping a dose once every two weeks?  What does the doctor say about that?
Aren't you a big new to HAART?

If Atripla is driving you nuts, why aren't you asking for a switch?  Thats 24 missed days a year, you realise.

Nobody answered the question about keeping two kinds of dry pills together - say truvada and another dry pill.  I never heard this being suspect.  Anyone know anything about that? 

I'll put those pills into anything convenient just so they are there when I need to take them in the day.  Jeans coin pocket, wallet, little bottles, old silver or tin pill boxes, thrown somewhere in the backpack. etc. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »
Nobody answered the question about keeping two kinds of dry pills together - say truvada and another dry pill.  I never heard this being suspect.  Anyone know anything about that? 

I believe I  answered this in my original reply to the OP.

- matt

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:56 am »
Skipping a dose once every two weeks?  What does the doctor say about that?
Aren't you a big new to HAART?

If Atripla is driving you nuts, why aren't you asking for a switch?  Thats 24 missed days a year, you realise.

I'll put those pills into anything convenient just so they are there when I need to take them in the day.  Jeans coin pocket, wallet, little bottles, old silver or tin pill boxes, thrown somewhere in the backpack. etc. 

I'm almost 2 years on meds now and my numbers are much improved.  Also if you remember my posting history I'm a fairly big proponent of the FOTO treatment.  I'm not quite brave enough to do it myself what with my low Tcell count, but I figure if others can do it 4 days missed every two weeks, what's 1 day going to hurt me?  Besides my VL is still undetectable (under 20 copies) so obviously at this juncture it's not having any noticable effect.  I have asked my doctor for a switch, but he's reluctant to do it and I'm a little bit reluctant to move away from a single dose daily.  I could go with N/T/P but I've managed to avoid PI's so far and would like to continue.  I want a doctor to look at Selzentry + Isentress + Truvada and see if that would work, but no one seems to have any information about that potential combo.

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »
i take isentress and truvada - why would one need to add the other unless there is resistance?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »
I want a doctor to look at Selzentry + Isentress + Truvada and see if that would work, but no one seems to have any information about that potential combo.

Clarify please.  Meech is correct that in the absence of multiple-class resistance issues this doesn't make sense.  Also, why are you avoiding PIs, specifically recent generation alternatives?  Is my use of Prezista destroying in innards and I'm just too ignorant to know about it?

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
I'm almost 2 years on meds now and my numbers are much improved.  Also if you remember my posting history I'm a fairly big proponent of the FOTO treatment.  I'm not quite brave enough to do it myself what with my low Tcell count, but I figure if others can do it 4 days missed every two weeks, what's 1 day going to hurt me?  Besides my VL is still undetectable (under 20 copies) so obviously at this juncture it's not having any noticable effect.  I have asked my doctor for a switch, but he's reluctant to do it and I'm a little bit reluctant to move away from a single dose daily.  I could go with N/T/P but I've managed to avoid PI's so far and would like to continue.  I want a doctor to look at Selzentry + Isentress + Truvada and see if that would work, but no one seems to have any information about that potential combo.

What are your numbers? And how long have you been UD?

Not that I'm tempted to miss a dose every 2 weeks myself, but I'm just wondering I guess?

Offline newt

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »
After a few weeks-months, specifically achieving a viral load of 50 or less (or "undetectable" which means lower than the test can measure but 50 copies is the important cut-off) the virus is effectively asleep. It will take about 5 days to wake up if you stop taking the drugs.

The odd missed dose, especially with a combo with good retention in the body like Atripla or a Prezista based combo, will have enough pressure on the virus to keep it asleep with an odd missed dose for about 80-95% of people. I mean by this missing a dose once every 2-4 weeks or less. The missing 5-20% will be poor folk who are genetically disposed to eliminating the drugs more quickly. The only way to find this out is to for real miss a dose or two and see. It works for me. It helps me feel normal. I do not advocate it for other people, but people will make their own choices.

- matt the newt

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:25 am »
What are your numbers? And how long have you been UD?

Not that I'm tempted to miss a dose every 2 weeks myself, but I'm just wondering I guess?

I think I was UD at 4 months and I've been on meds for 1.5 years now.  My original Tcell count was 15 and it is now 133.

Offline zazi22

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:57 am »
Hi guys,

thank you so much all for your advise, I feel a little bit better now. Im still new with medication so its always better to get info from the expects.

Regards

Zazi
with lots of love always
zazi22

Offline SteveInToronto

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:44 am »
I have asked my doctor for a switch, but he's reluctant to do it and I'm a little bit reluctant to move away from a single dose daily. 

Have you looked into Truvada + Intelence? I just switchd to this and the dosing is once daily (5 tablets, mind you, but still just once a day).

If you are motivated for a switch because of CNS side effects, check this out: http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2010_conference/AIDS2010/docs/0820b_2010.html

"After 12 weeks, first-line treatment with etravirine 400 mg once-daily + 2NRTIs led to significantly fewer neuropsychiatric adverse events than efavirenz + 2 NRTIs," the SENSE investigators concluded.

"There were larger rises in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol during treatment with efavirenz plus 2 NRTIs, compared with etravirine + 2 NRTIs," they continued. "The short-term virologic and immunologic efficacy profiles were similar in the 2 arms."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 01:03:59 pm »
Definitely something to consider.  Although my cholesterol is actually fairly decent.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »
Definitely something to consider.  Although my cholesterol is actually fairly decent.

::taps foot::

Offline mecch

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »
Really, based on the proportion of people in these pages who had sustiva crazies, the atripla "gold standard" seems more often like canal street bling standard. Ok to be generous maybe the kay jewelers standard.

But then again, maybe this a self-selected bunch of rather sensitive souls...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »
Really, based on the proportion of people in these pages who had sustiva crazies, the atripla "gold standard" seems more often like canal street bling standard. Ok to be generous maybe the kay jewelers standard.

But then again, maybe this a self-selected bunch of rather sensitive souls...

It's the gold standard for new patients for one reason -- ease of use/one-pill-per-day.  When the two new Gilead single pill regimens come out late this year and are shown to have a lower side effect profile you'll see those become the gold standard (not instantly of course but over time).

Oh, and of course, for certain doctors Atripla is easy for the physician as well.  Meaning if they don't have a large practice and aren't as familiar with other med regimens.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 02:19:08 am »
::taps foot::

Selzentry has a CD4 boost associated with it, this is why I'm interested in going on it.  I guess I posted this late at night because I know I've contemplated Selzentry + Truvada and Isentress + Truvada, I have no idea why I wrote all three together.  As far as my own mistrust of PIs I suppose analyzing my reasons it's irrational bias against them.  Don't get me wrong if a doctor said "This combo is what you should be on" I'd be on it in a heartbeat, but I don't see that happening.  Isentress + Truvada has me interested because the lack of side effects everyone has mentioned with it.  If either of these regimens were once daily I'd be making a more concentrated effort to switch.  Selzentry however requires a tropism test (which in turn requires a detectable viral load) I'm not sure they did one when I had a detectable viral load and I've switched doctors since diagnosis so it would take a lot of effort on my part which I haven't invested.  I didn't know you were waiting on my response with bated breath :)

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »
requires a detectable viral load

is not extactly necessary, you will find the explanation here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=35959.msg447740#msg447740

hope this will be of help to you

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 01:50:15 am »
is not extactly necessary, you will find the explanation here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=35959.msg447740#msg447740

hope this will be of help to you

Eric

Good to know.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:24 am »
It's the gold standard for new patients for one reason -- ease of use/one-pill-per-day. 

Agreed -- when I was on Atripla, taking my meds seemed almost fool-proof.

Another factor that makes Atripla the "gold standard", from a patient's perspective, is that it is only one prescription and one co-pay.  Co-pay costs are increasing rapidly on many health insurance plans -- mine is currently $164 for a 3 months supply.  So each prescription I don't have to fill saves me $656 per year.

With regard the the OP's question, I combine my various meds in one of those weekly containers that has a separate compartment for each day of the week (AM and PM).  I've been doing that for years.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »
Agreed -- when I was on Atripla, taking my meds seemed almost fool-proof.

Another factor that makes Atripla the "gold standard", from a patient's perspective, is that it is only one prescription and one co-pay.  Co-pay costs are increasing rapidly on many health insurance plans -- mine is currently $164 for a 3 months supply.  So each prescription I don't have to fill saves me $656 per year.

With regard the the OP's question, I combine my various meds in one of those weekly containers that has a separate compartment for each day of the week (AM and PM).  I've been doing that for years.

Regards,

Henry

Have you tried any copay assistance programs?  I pay 0 for my meds right now under my health insurance + copay assistance.  It took about 10 minutes of my time.

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »
I should dig harder to see if there's copay.  The sites all say its for Americans but I wonder if one can insist.

If I could get more organised and budgeted, I could charge the many thousands a year and at least earn some airline miles!   As it is, I got the pharmacy to charge my insurance directly and this has been hassle free and helped me cope with starting, a few years back.

Offline Nate

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 05:29:29 am »
before I started on 1 pill daily dosing, I kept ALL my pills in the same container and never had any problems.  And when I travel I keep all my pills in the same bottle and never had any trouble.

So for me, no problems.
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 05:21:54 pm »
Hi there,

I keep my pills in their original container. Only take to my pill box the pills I will take on the current day and, if I am going out or make a short trip, also take the doses of the two following days. As Newt recommended in his first post here, I also introduce in the pillbox the silica gel bag/capsule (dissecant) that comes with my meds; and I change this bag once a month, as I finish one med container (usually including 30 days pills). My pillbox is made of steel.

I even did so when taking Norvir (gel capsules), and have had no problems with it.

Hugs :-)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.