Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:34:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 318
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dr. Joy Browne  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
Dr. Joy Browne
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:23:35 am »

She's a savvy radio/TV psychologist...with a three-hour daily show on selected radio affiliates...one hour of which is broadcast on Discovery-Health each weekdaymorning (in AZ it's at 10:00 MST.)

Most (but not all) of her callers are women with relationship issues.  Nevertheless her advice is relevant...some of which can easily transition to other problems which we may all face.

Two pieces of wisdom she has imparted recently which come to mind are:
...The person in a friendship or relationship who is less 'eager' than the other always holds the power.  And the thing to do if you're the one who cares more is to ramp down to match the level of the other.  That way it's balanced.
...Sometimes in situations the best thing to do is just smile and act dumb, whether it's catching someone in a lie, someone who says one thing and does another, etc.

These kinds of things are not necessarily revelatory...but to actually hear them articulated always to me is helpful or affirming.

Anyhow I always record her TV show to watch...it's my psychology check-up every day...and I need it...LOL.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Teresa

Re: Dr. Joy Browne
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:41:33 pm »
She had a show on a few yrs ago and i always watched it. I wondered what happened to her. Glad to know shes still on and you are able to benefit from her advice and suggestions.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline whizzer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:23:43 pm »
She used to be on our local talk radio station.  They took her off and put on Dr. Laura !!  Who they then replaced with Sean Hannity.  Auditory entropy.

I sure miss Dr. Joy Brown.  I'm glad to know she's still around

Offline Gary85741

• Good guy, good heart
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:11:51 pm »
She used to be on our local talk radio station.  They took her off and put on Dr. Laura !!  Who they then replaced with Sean Hannity.  Auditory entropy.

Hey if anyone's interested in accessing her radio show, a list of stations carrying her can be found at:  www.drjoy.com/air/hear.html
She's not carried here in Tucson...holy smokes  >:(
But I get one hour of her show on Discovery-Health at least.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:15:22 am »
Gary,

What time is her show on Discovery/Health?

Offline Gary85741

• Good guy, good heart
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 08:35:46 am »
Gary,

What time is her show on Discovery/Health?

I'm going to guess it's on where you live (Kansas City) at noon...since it's on at 10:00 am. here in AZ and we don't observe daylights savings time.  So you're two hours ahead.  Or you can always check Yahoo TV schedule online...it lists all your stations...including Discovery-Health.  Hope you find it and enjoy watching  :)

Gary
Poz since '89. 

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
Actually, it is on here at 9am.  I was able to catch the end of it.....I really liked the comments in your thread opening statement.  Made sense

Offline BeachNYC

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 07:30:42 pm »
Even better, go to www.drjoy.com and you'll find that you can download each day's program, in 1 hour mp3 segments. It's set up to work with your ipod...when my itunes loads up, it checks the drjoy website and downloads all the latest programs, which I listen to throughout the day. She is totally, totally cool....and such a contrast to Dr. Laura. Wish she was on as many stations...unfortunately she's not even close.

BeachNYC

Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - started 5/13/2006
5/13/2006 - CD4 186; VL 52,000
5/30/2006 - CD4 117; VL 56,400 - (Somethin ain't right!)
6/19/2006 - CD4 295  VL 113
7/21/2006 - CD4 245  VL <50

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 07:36:40 pm »
Two pieces of wisdom she has imparted recently which come to mind are:
...The person in a friendship or relationship who is less 'eager' than the other always holds the power. 

Exactly... he who cares less wins!
;D
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Gary85741

• Good guy, good heart
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 09:17:32 pm »
Even better, go to www.drjoy.com and you'll find that you can download each day's program, in 1 hour mp3 segments. It's set up to work with your ipod...when my itunes loads up, it checks the drjoy website and downloads all the latest programs, which I listen to throughout the day. She is totally, totally cool....and such a contrast to Dr. Laura. Wish she was on as many stations...unfortunately she's not even close.

Hey Beach,

I'm a little behind the times with some technology.  For example...I don't have a i-pod.  I was aware from her website that WOL radio broadcasts her show on the internet.  Do you know...would I be able to record it on a CD-RW disc from the internet feed so I can listen to it when convenient (plus just maybe fast forward through that plethora of commercials...grrr)?  I'm hooked on the show  ;)

Thanks,
Gary
Poz since '89. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 09:47:13 pm »
They took her off and put on Dr. Laura !!  Who they then replaced with Sean Hannity.  Auditory entropy.

Dr. Laura, hhmmmmm, she was quite the homophobe, wasn't she ?....

Gary :

I've heard Dr. Joy Brown's name mentioned before. Never saw her show. I will have to try to catch it, try something differant for a change...

Take care----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BeachNYC

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 11:57:50 pm »

Do you know...would I be able to record it on a CD-RW disc from the internet feed so I can listen to it when convenient (plus just maybe fast forward through that plethora of commercials...grrr)?  I'm hooked on the show  ;)

Gary...Here's what you do. Go to the www.drjoy.com page. At the bottom of the page, click on the iPod. This will take you to a page that has dozens of hours of her programs; right click on any of the links, and you will be able to download and save that hour (in MP3 format) to your computer. The BEST thing about it is that the mp3s are only about 36 minutes, because they have already ELIMINATED all the commercials, the news, etc. Then, you've got an MP3 that you can burn to your cd-rw, the same way you would burn any music mp3 to disc. So it's very very simple to be able to listen to the broadcasts, even without an iPod.

I particularly like this way of "listening" in that the commercials are absent, but also it includes all three hours of her broadcast...only two of which are broadcast here in New York City (somewhat bizarre, since WOR in New York is her flagship station....what sort of flagship cuts an hour of the program??) Whatever. Hope you enjoy it.

Also, just for your info, it is surprisingly easy to get through to her on her toll free number...I think that's because although she's on about 200 stations, many delay the broadcast and thus listeners have no clue when to call in...the program runs from Noon to 3 Eastern time.

Robert
BeachNYC

Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - started 5/13/2006
5/13/2006 - CD4 186; VL 52,000
5/30/2006 - CD4 117; VL 56,400 - (Somethin ain't right!)
6/19/2006 - CD4 295  VL 113
7/21/2006 - CD4 245  VL <50

Offline Gary85741

• Good guy, good heart
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 10:30:56 am »
Also, just for your info, it is surprisingly easy to get through to her on her toll free number...I think that's because although she's on about 200 stations, many delay the broadcast and thus listeners have no clue when to call in...the program runs from Noon to 3 Eastern time.
Robert

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the info.  I don't have a CD burner though.  But that's great that the commercials are automatically removed.  Sounds like you have tried to call in to her?  Did you speak with her on-air?

I might be able to pick up her radio station...didn't know when the show was on live.  It's a station about sixty miles away but I think I can get it more or less...so will see this week.

Gary
Poz since '89. 

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 05:53:50 pm »

Exactly... he who cares less wins!
;D

but he who cares less is usually in a haze of dissatisfaction/boredom and looking to upgrade. well, that sure beats being on the 'eager' side - that totally SUCKS. i've been on both sides

Offline Gary85741

• Good guy, good heart
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 08:18:57 am »

Hey Beach...

Discovery-Health stopped carrying the one hour of her show last summer (and they were repeats anyway.)

So...I finally went and got myself a 2GB i-pod!  I download her three hours every day (more like two sans the commercials etc., as you said.)  I extract the show via i-tunes which sometimes seems to have little program glitches...but usually I can figure them out and successfully download.

Thanks for telling me about the i-pods and podcasts.  I love listening to her show every day...commercial-free!

Gary
Poz since '89. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.