Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:41:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I just hope I can get this over  (Read 9562 times)

Offline eowwl

I just hope I can get this over
« on: July 01, 2006, 05:15:19 am »
I'm a university student and there was an incident in the past whereby I was attending a lab tutorial class. We were required to test our blood types using a lancet and some anti-A and anti-B. Ok, the lancet was new and clean and I wasn't concerned about that. The problem is the lab technician has been going around helping each and every group carry out their experiment. The lab technician was wearing a pair of gloves but didn't change her gloves throughout the whole lab work. I pricked my finger with a new lancet and the lab technician used her fingers to apply pressure onto the tiny lancet cut to ooze out some blood for the testing. Before that the technician did the same for some other people and got some blood stains on her gloves.

Now my question: I wonder if this could be an HIV risk if some of the blood on the lab technician's gloves were from an HIV+ person.

My guess would be no coz this is considered as casual contact. However, I just need some suggestions and affirmation. Many thanks  ;)

Offline RapidRod

Re: I just hope I can get this over
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:19:40 am »
eowwl, the glove would not  come in contact with the lancet poke. Why? You wouldn't be able to get any blood out of your finger to do the test. NO RISK.......

Offline eowwl

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:20:47 am »
well, i was just concerned if the technician sort of brushed her gloves over the poke :) anyway thanks for your input!

Offline eowwl

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 06:06:56 am »
Sorry but can anyone offer some more input?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 06:40:06 am »
eowwl,

You would not become infected with hiv in this scenario. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is successfully transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

There's no chance of hiv infection in what you describe. None at all.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eowwl

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 06:43:26 am »
Many thanks to Rapidrod and Ann. You 2 really made my day a beautiful one. Wish the both of you the best of health and happiness  ;D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:53:45 am »
PS Make sure you read the lessons on HIV transmission and testing so that you are down with the real issues of transmission. That will help you to protect your health as well as spare you the kind of unnecessary worrying you have been experiencing over this incident.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline eowwl

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 10:34:36 am »
I just want to ask some questions for knowledge sake since they aren't mentioned quite clearly in the lessons section.

1) Where are the dendritic cells (the cells required to hook up with hiv) located?
2) Why can't a cut on the outside of my skin transmit hiv?
3) Does it mean that as long as I stay out of unprotected sex with positive people and don't share needles I will be safely negative?
4) Why does HIV only infect inside the human body instead of outside?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 10:49:15 am »
eo,

Transmission won't occur in the situation you're worried about because hiv does NOT survive in the environment. The envelope that surrounds hiv is very susceptible to pH levels, moisture content and temperature. When it is outside the body, it is away from the very specific environment it needs to remain viable. The membrane disintegrates. Hiv needs this membrane to be intact in order to infect as there are "plugs" on the surface of the membrane that must bump into the correct cells that have the specific receptors for hiv to plug into. Hiv is not transmitted outside the human body.

As long as you don't have unprotected intercourse with ANYONE or share needles, you will be ok. You need to assume that anyone you have intercourse with is hiv positive and protect yourself accordingly.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You did NOT have a risk of infection with the lancet scenario. No risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eowwl

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 12:43:35 pm »
Thanks Ann for the lengthy explanation I yearned for!  :)

Offline eowwl

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:01:40 am »
OK please don't get me wrong, this is completely unrelated to my incident and I want to learn more about the HIV. I am aware that I should not open another new thread so I post it here  :)

Anyway, I have read somewhere that drying blood will kill 99% of HIV in it. However I've read in many threads saying that HIV isn't viable once it comes into contact with air or leaves the body (not in syringes). With that in mind, I am rather confused as once blood leaves the body, it isn't fully dry yet. Please do clarify  ;)

Offline eowwl

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:06:16 am »
Sorry, anyone?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 08:08:47 am »
eo,

Hiv is a VERY fragile virus that doesn't remain viable outside its preferred environment (INSIDE the body) for several reasons, not just moisture content (drying in the air). Small changes in temperature and pH levels also effect it. How? One way is by bursting its fragile outer envelope. Hiv needs this envelop to be intact before it can successfully infect a new host. There are little "plugs" on the surface of this envelope that have to bump into the correct type of cell that has the correct "sockets" for the "plugs" on hiv to plug into.

Once hiv finds itself outside the human body, its chances of being able to infect a new host is pretty much zero.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline eowwl

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 03:38:05 am »
Since HIV doesn't survive in the environment, why do doctors still get infected when blood is splashed on their eyes and faces and when they get needle stick injuries?

I believe it has been explained before as to why cut fingers are still considered barriers from HIV transmission. Can you guys explain it here or just show me the link?

Many thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:08:22 am »
Doctor and other health care providers have direct contact. Since they have been recording HIV infections since the early eighties. Only 57 health care workers have contract HIV by occupational exposure. Out of the hundreds of thousands of exposures each years. 57 infections is a small drop in the bucket to the number of infected people that they have treated.

Offline eowwl

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 06:14:19 am »
Thanks rapidrod, I wanna ask again, what do you mean by direct contact?

So in my case, even if the glove did sweep over my cut fingers, it wouldn't result in HIV infection?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 06:21:07 am »
No it would not have resulted in an exposure.

Offline eowwl

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:41:15 am »
...but as i've described, the technician was squeezing blood out of my finger, wouldn't that constitute a fresh open wound?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 06:47:19 am »
You are carrying this out way to far. You didn't have a risk so let it go. You should really start seeing a councilor if you can't move on.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.