Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:14:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773227
  • Total Topics: 66339
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 248
Total: 249

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: my reckless behavior  (Read 6218 times)

Offline cooltx75

my reckless behavior
« on: August 13, 2006, 02:36:54 pm »
Two nights ago I had sex with someone I thought was negative, there was no ejaculation and I used a condom, but he did insert his penis inside for about 2 minutes two times before having sex with a condom--again, he did NOT ejaculate inside. But I am aware of the risks anyway and that pre-cum can infect. I had no idea he was positive until the morning when I found his HIV medicine in his backpack--I was stunned to say the least. I know it was no excuse to do anything unsafe, but I also felt cheated and lied to since he said he was negative and I just couldn't believe that someone positive might do this to someone they knew was negative. If I was positive, I would never put anyone at risk like that knowing that I could pass on HIV to someone. He showed remorse, but it was too late, it didn't matter, since what was done was done.

So around 7 pm yesterday I got a call from an AIDS hotline counselor, the person I had been with gave them my number, and he told me to go to an emergency room right away and start post exposure prophylaxis because it hadn't even been 24 hours yet. So immediately I headed to the ER last night (I was there for 6 hours total--so much for emergency). The doctor perscribed me 15 days of Viread and Combivir, and told me I would have to go to my doctor for follow up and to get the rest of the perscribed dose which is 30 days. I feel so emotionally drained right now, I know the odds of catching it are low, and since he was on medication, I am assuming his viral load was low, but it's still a chance.

I haven't experienced any side effects so far...but then again I've only taken two doses. I am really scared, I don't know if I want to go to my doctor to get the rest because I wouldn't feel comfortable. This is gonna cost me a lot of money and I don't have insurance. The ER bill will surely be above $500, and the meds aren't cheap, plus any follow up doctors visits. I don't know how I am going to pay for this, I am 20 years old, and telling my parents is out of the question. I guess it was a very stupid and expensive mistake and if I end up positive anyway, it would be even worse. I don't know what to do or how to pay or where to go from here. I am really scared and I feel like I'm too young to be catching HIV, and if I'm positive I don't know how I could possibly tell my family, much less pay for all the medication I would have to take and doctors visits and tests having no insurance. I feel so lost. Any advice?

Offline Rabbit

Re: I Started Prophylactic Treatment Last Night
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 04:43:49 pm »
Dear Cool,

You should continue with the medicine prescribed. Please do not stop it. My lover was later for the prophylaxic medicine and he is positive now. If he had known , he could not have been positive. I do not know how to help you now but my advice is you should not stop your medicine now. It will cost much more if you get positive because of not taking the medicine.

I hope you will be fine.

Best wishes,

Tigercub

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 04:47:48 pm »
This is going to cost me a little bit of money. A little late to think about that now. Just pay as much as you can pay. They can set you up on a payment plan. If I were you, I would go and discuss this with your parents and see if you can get the money from them.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 04:56:57 pm »
Tigercub, prophylactic treatment is not a guarantee that you won't become positive. The only way to prevent it is by using a condom correctly at ALL times or just don't have anal or vaginal sex.

Offline cooltx75

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 05:00:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies Rapid and Tiger.

I will continue with the meds even if it means feeling horrible for a month, I don't care and it is a small price to pay, I am not going to miss a single dose. As far as paying, it is not the most important thing I'm thinking about right now, but I do think about it, I have some money saved I could use, but I haven't gotten the meds from the RX since the doctor gave me two days worth, and I will go later today to get it, but I don't know what to expect when they tell me how much it costs, the doctor said he didn't know how much it would be, but he said it wouldn't be cheap.

As far as telling my parents, that is out of the question, it was difficult enough when I told them I was gay, telling them I was exposed to HIV and going through this right now is just not something I can do.

I just feel really overwhelmed...I don't doubt that I have slept with HIV+ people in the past, but I have been safe, and for the 2 and a half years I have gotten tested, it has always been negative. But now knowing for a fact that I did just makes me feel aweful. I don't know why I was so stupid to let this guy do this, especially since he was lying about his status...I guess you can't trust anyone...and it almost makes want to go celibate if everything turns out okay at the end. I don't want to have HIV and I feel so guilty right now, and blame myself more than I blame him. In any event, I'm just rambling on right now....and I'm trying to rationalize everything by saying that "oh he was on meds his viral load was low...and it was only for a few minutes that he penetrated without the condom, and I didn't taste any pre-cum when I was perfroming oral sex so he must have not been a big pre-cummer once inside...and that some reckless people who have bareback sex all the time don't get infected until many many years of recklessness and that as it is it is a very small risk to get infected, even with straight ejaculation...etc etc" but I know it only takes once in the end, and if I'm unlucky enough, statistics don't matter.  :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 05:07:17 pm »
tx,

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

You can't go by what someone tells you, as you have discovered to your peril. You MUST be using condoms when you're top and you cannot allow your top to enter you without a condom.

Your risk is slightly lessened by the fact that ejaculation did not take place unprotected, but hiv can also be present in pre-cum. You  have had a risk and you would be wise to continue with the PEP treatment. As Rodney mentions, you can set up a payment plan.

You need to take your medication exactly as prescribed and I hope this was all explained to you in detail. Check out the drug section of this website (link in upper left-hand corner) where you can read about the drugs you are taking and how to deal with side-effects that may arrive. If you stick to the meds the odds are in your favour of testing negative when the time comes.

The window period for post-PEP testing is 12-13 weeks past your last dose of PEP. This makes the window from time of exposure 16-17 weeks in total. A test six weeks post-PEP would be a good indication of your status, but not conclusive.

Good luck and stick with it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:49:59 pm »
Hey Tx,

At this point what's done is done.  No doubt the lesson is learned and going back to shoulda woulda coulda (unless you EVER think of doing that again) isn't going to help you at this point.

Stay on the PEP, do whatever you need to in order to do that.  EVEN if it meant telling your parents worst case scenario.  Give up everything you need to for a chance to stay HIV negative.  Can you imagine how they would feel if you didn't come to them with this and ended up HIV positive?  The bigger picture is your health and the financial one:  having HIV would be allot worse.

I don't want you to ever feel like you didn't do everything you could to address this situation.

Hang in there.  Consider the medication side effects your punishment if you must or better yet don't punish yourself at all.

You did the right thing going to emergency and going on PEP.  Do everything Ann and Rod said.

Sae.
Meh.

Offline cooltx75

my reckless behavior
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:40 am »
I really don't know where else to turn....I don't know why I am so stupid and so god damn retarded in my actions. I last got tested in December of 2006, so about a year ago and it was negative, despite one or two unsafe encounters was a huge relief. However in 2007 my reckless unsafe behavior accelerated and since that test I have had 7 barebacking encounters since then, though only about 2 or 3 the guys came inside of me.

The most recent one was 2 days ago and I feel an incredible amount of remorse and feel like I have hit rock bottom. I don't know why I do this because I used to be a big believer in safe sex and only ever had unprotected sex with my ex boyfriend and we were in a monogamous relationship. I don't think I have mental issues or a sex addiction, but I cannot explain why I keep playing Russian roulette. I am NOT a bug chaser, and I don't want to get infected at all. But I feel like I am too weak minded to say no even though I know it could kill me. I have kept off getting tested out of sheer panic of what the answer would be, even though I know if it is negative it would be like a second lease on life.

The allure of barebacking is so strong it is just so hard to control it for me, but every time I did it this past year and now I feel horrible and utterly guilty about it. I feel disgusted at myself for doing it and for being so stupid to have done it in the first place. I don't really know what I am trying to say...I'm not really looking for an answer as to "am I infected" since no one can tell me that except for the test. I guess I just feel lonely right now and scared to death that my actions will catch up to me next time I go get tested. I don't know how I would cope with telling people, my family, dating, stigma....it's all so overwhelming, and all because I wanted an hour of hot raw sex. I just don't know myself anymore. I keep resolving never to bareback and again, and yet I do. Please someone tell me how to stop this and what I can do about it; how do I gather the strength to go get tested and accept that I may be positive due to my actions?

I don't know what to do, I feel like my life is slipping away from me  :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: my reckless behavior
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:41:48 am »
cooltx,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You're correct in thinking that all we can do is to tell you to test in three months after your last incident of barebacking. We cannot tell you how to stop barebacking however, as that is outside our remit. I suggest you find yourself a good therapist with whom you can discuss your self-destructive behaviour and get to the bottom of it in a safe setting.

Good luck.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.