Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I missed my Meds - never thought I'd do that.  (Read 4622 times)

Offline pauldigital

• ...push aside those that whisper never...
I missed my Meds - never thought I'd do that.
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:16:48 pm »
Hi Folks.

I haven't posted much on here but I regularly check in to see what's going on and to get advice.  Thanks to everyone whose advice to others has helped me over the past couple of years.  It really has helped to know there's folks like u around going through similar things.

Anyway... I'd like to get your thoughts on this 'cos i feel really stupid and scared.

Let me fill you in... I was diagnosed 3 years ago with decent CD4 numbers (600 ish).  I thought the world was going to come to an end but over the next few months realised that though the plates might have shifted, i was still on the same continent.  My partner and friends stuck by me which was a great help.

As life went on, I honestly got used to things and stopped worrying, mostly because I've been feeling fine but then the bombshell of starting meds kicked in and I was terrified again as apparently my doctor said my CD4s have crashed and my viral load is through the roof.  But I must admit I've been lucky as i honestly don't seem to be getting many side effects.

Here comes my trouble...  When things are on a downer I start living healthily, eating well and taking all my vitamins but when I start to feel good about myself again I start 'forgetting' myself and drink (very much too much) which was how i lived my life before HIV.  This see-saw is becoming a habit.

To cut a long story short... I went on a binge (again) last weekend, sobered up yesterday and realised I'd forgotten to take my meds.  It was only one night but I can't get it out of my mind.  I've read all about resistance and thought i was more sensible but obviously not.  I've only been on them for 3 months.

Can I just hear your thoughts on this please?

I'll go now instead of boring u silly.

Thanks a mill.  PAUL -x-

PS. My meds are Kivexa (Abacavir & Lamivudine) and Sustiva (Efavirenz)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
Re: I missed my Meds - never thought I'd do that.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:50:20 pm »
hi paul
missing one dose, it happens, not a cause for panic. Missing doses on a more frequent basis, for whatever reason, could be more of a problem.

Sounds like you're not feeling happy with the way things are at the moment though. how would you like things to be different? what would you need to do in order to get there, and who might be able to support you?

Kate
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:06:14 pm by penguin »

Offline yowsaa

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:54:22 pm »
Hey Paul,

Not trying to give you shit or preach to ya.
Maybe some shit  :-\

From your post, you obviously know you pulled some recent boner moves. Get over it and hopefully you learned something so it won't repeat.
Figure a way so this won't happen again please. Maybe some conselling/support group might help? What about AA ?

What happened is not the end of the world. Make these stunts a habit and it's a whole new ballgame.
Cheerin for ya !   :)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 07:12:19 pm »
Paul,

It really shouldn't make a difference to the drugs or viral suppression, missing one day, especially on your combo, the Sustiva probably didn't even dip below an effective concentration because it stays in your body for so long.

The see-saw thing I get, it's kinda easy sometimes, especially if taking meds don't cause side effects, to forget about them, and also the feeling of wanting yr old life back/to be "normal" can be strong.

Having watched a friend take his Crixivan on the dance floor at Trade with perfect precision, I believe it is possible to have fun and stay on schedule.  Clearly, a big, wide (or in my friend's case "fuck you") openness about the whole damn meds thing helps, but it's not for everyone, depends on how accepting of HIV your peers are, and is, strictly speaking, unnecessary.  It's more an openness in your own head that's important, and reaching it is (ta-da! cliché, soz) a journey.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:53 pm »
I can't really make a recommendation about the alcohol intake beyond AA and the like, but I do have a handy-dandy tip for making sure you get the pills down.

Got a cell phone?  Does it have an alarm on it?  If so, set it to sound off for your pills.  I did this when I was new to the meds.  Heck...I set mine to go off at time and also 1/2 hour before and after, as if to say:  "Start thinking about your pills"..."Time for the pills"...and finally, "Hey, jackass!  Did you take your pills?!"  I also used little post-it notes and such...especially if I knew in advance I was going out on the town or might be in some other situation that might lead me to forget.

If you make it a priority to be for the first few months, it will work its way into your daily life without extra thought eventually.  Hope this helps.

~+
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pauldigital

• ...push aside those that whisper never...
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 05:08:12 am »
 :)

Thanks Folks 4 giving me those thoughts. I certainly have issues which to be fair aren't really related to my HIV but do affect my overall health with me now having to take these meds every day.

I've no intention of going tee-total which for me and my environment, is unrealistic but for sure I'll have to calm things down and cut out the 'binge sessions'.  That's just the way it has to be I suppose.

Lets see what Christmas (nearly here) and the new year brings.

Thanks again.. I'll be back no doubt.

Offline sally

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 05:34:27 pm »
Although I don't want to give anyone the impression that it's OK to miss one's meds, we're human and nobody is capable of 100% compliance. Stuff happens.Over the past 18 years, sometimes I've simply forgotten to take my morning meds. Occasionally, I'll feel nauseous for some unrelated reason and can't eat or take meds. I had a problem for a long time remembering to take one of four meds I was on because it had to be refrigerated. I keep a large plastic box with compartments that will hold a month or more supply of meds. I keep that by my bed and after taking those meds I wouldn't get out of bed for awhile and would then sometimes forget the med in the fridge. Anything with Norvir in it is supposed to be refrigerated, but on further investigation, the drug blab info says it's OK to not refrigerate for up to 30 days, so now I keep a 15-day supply in my box. A lot of drugs either require a separate dose of Norvir, e.g., Prezista or have Norvir combined with one or more other drugs, e.g., Kaletra. I was taking a drug for awhile that gave me nausea if I didn't eat at the same time and I'd sometime forget to take that drug because I have problems eating and would put off taking it until I felt like eating, which meant that sometimes I forgot. Or I'd eaten out at a restaurant and forgot to take it even though I carried it in my purse. So anyway, while I'd enourage you to aim toward 100% compliance, I don't think you need to panic if you miss a dose here and there.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:36:40 pm »
Paul, I second the cell phone alarm idea - it keeps me grounded and reminds me to take my pills like clockwork.  So - half the battle is the timing. 

Then, you need to have pills with you at all times - I stash two days worth in the office, two days worth in my briefcase, and another two days worth in the car.  Much harder to be somewhere without the pills when the alarm goes off if you keep them in lots of places. 

Best of luck.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.