Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:37:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Very Concerned  (Read 6264 times)

Offline VeryScared87

Very Concerned
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
Hello,

I'm a 22 year old male.  On March 5th, 2010 I was in Spain very drunk and visited a brothel.  In this brothel I had an encounter with a Colombian CSW.  It was protected oral, and vaginal intercourse.  After a little while we stopped and washed gentitals hopped in the shower, she masturbated me, then we washed genitals, dried, applied a new condom and finished up.

About 3 days later I had the worst fever, a huge rash on my legs, and diahreah that lasted maybe a week.  After this symptoms just got worse and worse with a slight fever till about week 2.  Muscle aches, lymph node aches, rashes, numb stinging fingers and toes.  Right around 5/6 weeks I got the worst sore throat of my life and a maculopapular rash all over my torso.  At week 7 I had an antibody test accompanied by a PCR DNA test.  Both negative.  I also tested for all STDs, negative.  I had another test at 8.5 weeks, negative (just antibody).  The only symptom I have now are insect bite like bumps that come and go around my body.  I'm at exactly ten weeks and am VERY SCARED that I've contracted HIV.  I took a course of antibiotics during this time, will that affect my testing?  I intend to test at 12 weeks, will that really be conclusive?

I'm extra scared because I continued sex with my fiancee, but always protected.  She since has had similar bumps, and for a short time had some spotting, and a delayed period.  It worries me greatly.  I'd appreciate an expert opinion on my risk and my negative tests.  Thank you so much!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Very Concerned
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:29:13 am »
At no time did you ever have an exposure to HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:43:40 am »
Nothing you have reported in your activities put you at risk for HIV transmission. The most important thing is that you used a condom for intercourse. The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Everything else sexual is only risky in theory. Use condoms consistently for intercourse and you will be well protected.

If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. That's why we recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to at least once a year have a full STD panel done.

There's no need for testing for HIV this time. You didn't have a risk for it.

Cheers.i
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:59:51 am »
I've only been concerned because I was so drunk, I'm not certain the condom remained in tact.

Also, one thing I left out of my original post is about 2 years ago I had mulluscum.  The treatment I had for them left the area heavily scared.  And well, the woman was very wet.  So I'm concerned that might have increased my risk in the same way herpes does?  Is that in anyway increasing my risk?  Also, I've read conflicting opinions on fingering.  I did finger her quite rigorously, is that really no risk?

Thank a million.  I know you probably deal with things like this on a daily basis, and it might get frustrating when someone with no or low risk can't get their mind off a topic, but just the whole thing seems so real and I've been seeing a therapist because it's traumatized me.  Also, for my own minds sake, obviously I'm going to test again at 12/13 weeks just to get it out of my mind.  I've heard some things about people often testing negative at 3 months then positive later?  Is that true??

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:17:33 am »
Mulluscum has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:32:32 am »
Even with the additional details you are throwing into the mix you are worrying needlessly.

The only cases in which testing up to 6 months is indicated because of late seroconversion may occur is when longterm intravenous drug use is involved or organ transplant or treatment for a severe illness such as cancer. Otherwise 13 weeks is a reliable testing point.

All of the above are not relevant to you because you never actually had a risk and getting tested is strictly for your peace of mind.
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15:03 am »
Ok thanks again.  I'll only post up here again when I get my 13 week test done in about 3 weeks.  Just so that way others like me who have had every possible symptom, yet no real risk, can hopefully get some relief out of it.  I'll try my best to stay offline since it only heightens my anxiety.  Thanks again.

And the question I had about mulluscum was not whether it was a sign of HIV or anything like that, but if the fact that I had had mulluscum made that skin more likely to be susceptible to infection.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:18:23 am »
No, mulluscum do not make you more vulnerable to HIV transmission.

Good luck with your test even though I see a negative result as a slam dunk.
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:50 am »
Hello again,

So I probably did the wrong thing by reading all the other forums and now I went from anxious to horrified.  A few things that have been bothering me are:

1) that story of Paul, who supposedly tested pos after kissing or protected encounter/unprotected oral.  I saw there was an issue with a yellow fever vaccine and that might have caused a false positive result, but he never came to report that back.

2)  On almost all of the posts I've read, the people who tested positive have done so several months to years after an encounter, and had negative results in the several months after an exposure.  I've yet to find a post that says something like:  "I had an encounter 7 weeks ago, and now tested positive", which makes me worried about the 3 month window period being accurate.

Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY.  My fiancee, with whom I've had protected sex with since my encounter with a CSW on march 5th, she's begun to break out in pimples all over the place and some weird sorts of bumps, she's extremely fatigued, shortly before her period she had a few days of light spotting, and then her period is about a week late, with no signs of coming at all, and now has pink eye!  In the last month we had sex once.  Completely protected.  And we don't engage in oral.  I'm now worried I've infected her, and that condoms aren't as effective as everyone says (are her symptoms even suggestive of HIV?).  Sorry to be a worried well but it's killing me having these symptoms and then reading people who tested + after the 3 month mark, in some cases, years after.  I've already had that PCR DNA test I mentioned on the 52nd day, negative, yet, I see it's not approved for diagnosis, and I'm worried that's because it's a load of crock and wouldn't catch me if I were.

Thanks/Sorry :(  p.s. my doctor is prescribing me zoloft for the anxiety, I'm starting today

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06:14 am »
Very,

1. You can bet that people who report such things and never return either had a false positive that they didn't bother to tell us about, or were yanking our chains to begin with.

2. Not everyone who has sex is as paranoid as some of you lot here in Am I and compulsively test week in, week out, every time they have a sexual encounter. Most people test now and again, so they might say "my last negative test was six months ago, but my test last week was positive". This doesn't mean they had a previous false negative, it just means they had unprotected sex sometime after their last negative result.

As far as you are concerned, you didn't have a risk and you aren't in any window period. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

Now get on with your life and keep using those condoms.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:07:00 am »
Even with the additional details you are throwing into the mix you are worrying needlessly.

The only cases in which testing up to 6 months is indicated because of late seroconversion may occur is when longterm intravenous drug use is involved or organ transplant or treatment for a severe illness such as cancer. Otherwise 13 weeks is a reliable testing point.

All of the above are not relevant to you because you never actually had a risk and getting tested is strictly for your peace of mind.

Buddy, I don't have anything more to add to what I have already said to you. You didn't have a risk. Whatever is causing your fiancee's symptoms has nothing to do with HIV passed from you. You can't give someone something you don't have. If she has concerns she should discuss them with her doctor.

Listen, you cheated on her. That often has a big aftereffect of guilt and anxiety. That's what this is really about because there was no risk for HIV. You can't undo what you did. So take a breath, let it go and get on with your life.

I am also going to tell you that you can't keep coming back here insisting you had a risk when you didn't. You will find yourself before long getting a 28 day Time Out from the site. HIV is not your problem. Your guilt is a whole other matter. We can't help you with that in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »
Andy, Ann,

Thank you both for clearing that up.  I'm sure you've got other people who are crazy worried wells!  I don't know why I question experts and take the stories I read as proof when they aren't backed up by science.  Thanks again for dealing with me!  I'll post up again at the 13 week mark just to follow up that I'm truly negative and can move on.. (and to help others since far too often people like me never post up final results, so other worried wells are left curious).

P.S. When seeing my doctor for the Zoloft, I had him check my lymph nodes, and my throat, and what I thought was my oral thrush, and more.  Anyways he said my throat was not irritated, my mouth thrush free, and my "lymph nodes" were my arteries and they were sore because I'd been checking them every hour!  Ha, what games one's mind can play!  I had a 99 degree fever, but I know that's nothing to worry about since human temperature fluctuates 1-2 degrees throughout the day and about 4 hours later it was 98.8 so anyhow, thanks again.  Talk to you again in 3 weeks time to report my 13 week test results!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:43:43 am »
OK. There's no doubt your test result is going to be negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:00:53 am »
Hello again, sorry I know I said I wouldn't come back here until I had the 13 week test to report.  However, I've been reading A LOT of concerning reports on the window period.  Such as it possibly being lengthened to 9 months in South Africa.  And I find more and more people who test negative at 3 months, and are certain they had no other risks, but then test positive some time after the 3 month time frame.  Such as one at 4 months, one at 7 months.  I even spoke with a nurse who has the virus and was infected through work.  She did not test positive for 3 years (she also had Hep C and was taking a lot of medication for both that, and to fight off possible HIV).  Please tell me this can't be?  Also, an infectious disease doctor said that at 9 months, about 75% test positive, and some take 36 months.  He said that the CDC is incorrect???  What is going on??? 

Please, don't ban me, warn me if you want.  But Don't put a block, that way I can still come report at 3 months.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 09:07:11 am »
If you continue looking  you are definitely going to find (mis)information to feed your worst fears. All to no good purpose. Talking of 9 months and other extended periods for testing positive are quite frankly, simply ridiculous.

But we're not here to get into a back and forth refuting each time you come up with another "someone said that..." We're just not going to do that. You have had our considered and science and experience based evaluation of your situation. You did not have a risk. Based on what you have reported to us about your sexual activities you are going to test negative.

Don't come back with more the what ifs and buts. You have to wait out the time until you get tested and get your negative result. Get busy with other things in your life while waiting. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that response is not going to fly here.

You're just at the edge of getting a Time Out so take my warning seriously.
Andy Velez

Offline redwing0088

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:53 pm »
Exactly. You need to move on. Andy, ann and rod gave u great advice. Seek out the help of a counselor to help you with your worries. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:49 pm »
redwing,
   Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:01 pm »
Redwing, I know you meant well but you are not authorized to write in this section of the Forums. You should only be writing in your own thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 07:07:15 am »
I just thought I owed it to everyone on here to post up my final results.  I got tested last month at exactly 89 days.  The results came back negative.  It was quite a relief.  While I still am having a few symptoms they are minor, and my anxiety level is way down.  While I still think I'll get tested at the 6 month, just for my own sake, I'm happy to say that my conclusive result was negative.  89 vs 90 shouldn't make any difference, correct?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:57 am »
Very,

One day isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference.

It's no surprise you tested negative - you never had a risk in the first place. You certainly don't need to test at six months over this no-risk incident.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline VeryScared87

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 07:20:52 am »
Hi Ann,

Honestly, I would never have come back and posted at all, the reason I did was not because of my own anxiety as I had posted in the past.  But really, the reason I posted was because I know many people go through this forum, and oftentimes the posters with "NO RISK" and symptoms don't bother to come back and report their conclusive results.  I just thought I'd do that courtesy to others.  And when I say I'll go back at 6 months, that's only to expunge my own doubts/concerns, not because it is needed or warranted.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:26 am »
You're HIV negative. Period. End of story. If you choose for your own peace of mind to test at 6 months all you are going to do is collect another negative result. It's totally unnecessary for you to test any further.

Stop with the drama and get on with your life is my suggestion.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.