Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:47:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 640
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: atripla and scared to death  (Read 7123 times)

Offline handlewithcare

atripla and scared to death
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:22:08 pm »
HEY GUYS,

WELL IVE BEEN POSITIVE FOR A LITTLE OVER 2 YEARS. IVE ALWAYS BEEN SCARED OF TAKING THE MEDS BUT I GUESS IT HAS TO COME ONE DAY. NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT DAY HAS COME. IVE HAD MY BOTTLE OF ATRIPLA FOR A WEEK AND JUST LOOKED AT IT AND CRIED EVERYDAY. LAST NIGHT I DID IT..I TOOK MY FIRST PILL AROUNG 11PM. I DOSED OF AND WOKE UP AT ABOUT 1230 AND FELT LIKE I WAS TRIPPING OFF OF AN E-PILL. IT LASTED ALL NIGHT AND ALL DAY.I HAD TO WORK AT 10AM AND I HAD TO FORCE MYSELF TO GET THEIR. I THINK I FLOATED AROUND WORK ALL DAY. ITS TIME FOR ME TO TAKE MY SECOND PILL AND IM SCARED TO DEATH..I THINK I HAD EVERY SIDE EFEECT IN THE BOOK LAST NIGHT. HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO FUNCTION LIKE A NORMAL PERSON AFTER TAKING A PILL?

Offline schnitzer

Re: atripla and scared to death
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:21:11 am »
don't worry.. i'm in the same boat as you. . .keep taking it, your body will get used to it..

just like taking e-pills.. if you keep taking xtc, every day... eventually you'll need to take more than 1 to get the same high..

same with atripla..

try going to bed earlier.. like 10am?? i find the high only last 3-4hours then gives you a foggy feeling for 1 hour after u wake up.

BobF

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 01:03:42 pm »
Hi.  I hope the effects are easing for you.   I've found that it's better for me to take Atripla about 2 hours before bed - I have far few problems getting to sleep, tho still have the periodic vivid dreams :)

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:30:05 pm »
There's no reason to be scared to death....over time your body acclimates and you do eventually get to a point when you don't really think about it (at least in my case).

I always take my Atripla before going to bed and I'm able to sleep through the night.

The few times I took my pill and actually stayed up I actually felt more awake, but in no way did I feel it was like ecstasy - everybody responds differently.

Give it a few months and it will be second nature.

There is nothing to be afraid of - it's simply a new chapter in your life.......a whole new beginning and chance to really live.

Peace,

Jordan
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:59:09 pm »
mini has been on susteva (300mg) 1x / day since 2/02.  She was only 18mths old when she started it and had many developmental issues due to her inutero contraction of the virus.  So, hard to tell if she became overly aggressive.  But, I do have a question.  Her PID upped her dose about 5 months ago from 250 to 300mgs / day.  She takes it at 3:30pm everyday.  Not long after, she started complaining about being tired all the time.  We assumed it was from one of her secondary dx, ie. CP.  Could it be the susteva?  She's never told us about dreams or feeling dizzy, but she does fall a lot.  We're just learning about the neurotoxic effects of her meds and trying to sort out what is a reaction to her meds and what is an actual seperate dx.  Not an easy task!

Mini's Mom
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline handlewithcare

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:01:26 am »
thanks guys for the advice..my second pill was nothing like that first one..i slept all night and didnt feel to bad in the morning. still alil zombie like when i woke up but nothing like that firt one..so i just took my third and im hoping this goes well also..

i was wondering about going out after taking ur meds. a few friends invited me over for a gathering and i declined because i dont know how it will affect me. anyone ever take their meds then hangout or maybe come home after a glass of ur faavorite drink and have to pop a pill?

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 12:05:50 pm »
I've drank and  ;) while taking Atripla and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. However, I must be honest and tell you I switched after being on the drug for awhile. It was very effective in controlling my viral load but I couldn't handle the side effects. Remember, that was my experience and in no way does that mean it will happen to you. Give it a try and most likely you will do just fine, if not there are other options. So my recommendation is you go out and enjoy yourself for a bit and forget about the damn drug for an evening, ;D

Cheers!

Offline handlewithcare

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 12:34:03 am »
lol..thanks Dachshund...im actually on my 4th day and im doing great..after that first day i havent had anything major happen..today was really good. i took one 3 hours ago and im still awake feeling pretty much like normal so im guessing its gonna do me just fine.. ;D

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:46:22 am »
don't freak out if you get the rash, it may come about day 10, and last 2 weeks, just hang in there, it will get better, if you get scared, talk to your doc, you wil be ok !

Offline comino

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »
I've been on Atripla since it became available and I have to say that yes the tripping feeling the first couple of nights and the weird hazy feeling the first couple of days was a little disconcerting but it went away, I've never had the "bad dreams" in fact all my dreams are good ones, especially the flying ones  and now they feel so much more real I sometimes get that roller coaster stomach feeling when I piruette in my dreams   ;D    The side effects that I do have are 1. the occasional nausea/ dry mouth  and a little jolly rancher to get the taste out and moisten my mouth fixes it right up and 2.  the burps... oh my the burps but I'm working on learning to burp the alphabet.. not really  but thought it sounded funny. 
So don't be scared, listen to your body and give it time to adjust, we're all fighters!

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:36 am »
Well I just started to take Atripla after 1 1/2 years on Truvada and Kaletra.  I was tired of the constant diarrhea associated with the Kaletra.

I took my first one on 11/13, I had my BF stay with me since he is a long term survivor and has been through this.  Well, we stayed at his place and the anxiety of the side effects were much worse than the side effects.  I woke up about 3 times that night and had to come to work.  I was in a haze. 

Last night I took the pill and a valerian root to help me sleep, and I slept 7 peaceful hours, woke a a little dizzy.  Had my coffee and a banana, took my shower and came to work feeling just fine!

Hang in there, you will be okay!

Have a beauty filled day!
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 08:28:36 pm »
Hey Bud... I am in the same boat.  I took my first pill last Friday and have had a fairly rough week.  It (of course) didn't help that it was probably one of the most stressful work weeks I have had in a long time.  The first couple of days, I swear I had lost 10-15 IQ points when I needed them the most!  That has started to clear and the metal that must have been floating around in my brain interfering with neuron firing has moved into my mouth and down my back. 

For me, it's been the diet pill from hell.  No appetite, although losing a few (OK more than a few) won't hurt. 

My sleep has been affected, not by the dreams which, quite frankly, were freakin awesome!  I just pop awake very early in the morning and can't get back to sleep.  That hit me hard today along with the foul metallic taste in my mouth which started Wednesday.   :P

I do think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Each day seems to be a bit better and I feel a bit less "odd" and icky.  Added stress didn't help so, I am hoping next week is even better! 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:32:33 pm by strykern »
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.