Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:41:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 471
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kaletra+Combovir+Tenofoir  (Read 3575 times)

Offline paulsmithpoz10

Kaletra+Combovir+Tenofoir
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:51:52 am »
My doc changed my meds to Kaletra+Combovir+Tenofoir. I've been taking it for 3 days now and I've been vomiting since last night. Is this a normal effect of this combination? How long will it last? How can I help lessen this side effect? I really hope someone can help. Thanks!
CD4: 348 VL:147,000 - March 13,2013
CD4: 413 VL:49 - August 9, 2013
CD4: 619 VL:31 - January 30, 2014

Offline darryaz

Re: Kaletra+Combovir+Tenofoir
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:47 am »
Those are exactly the side effects I remember from Kaletra, and they seem to be quite common.

http://www.kaletra.com/information/side-effects.aspx

My doc's solution was switching me to something else.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53:29 am »
Paul, I'm a little confused as to why you switched off nevirapine so quickly when it sounded as though you only had the common (non-lethal) rash that sometimes accompanies this med in the first few weeks to a month.

It normally only lasts  between a few days and just over a week. It's only dangerous when it is accompanied by a high fever and blistering in the mouth or other mucus membranes. Why didn't you just wait it out?

Why didn't your doctor have you try taking an antihistamine for the rash to make it easier to handle while it lasted, rather than immediately switching you? It doesn't make a lot of sense, considering there aren't many options available where you live. 

You also switched off the efavirenz rather quickly, and for the same (rash) reason. Again, unless your rash was accompanied by a high fever and mouth blisters, it was probably just the usual temporary rash side-effect that is often seen with this med, just like with nevirapine.

As Darryaz mentioned, nausea is very common with Kaletra - and so is diarrhea. Sometimes it goes away in time, sometimes it doesn't. Conversely, the non-lethal rash that commonly happens with nevirapine (and efavirenz) does go away.

Also, why are you on both Combivir and tenofovir? You either need Combivir (plus Kaletra or nevirapine) or tenofovir plus another NRTI, usually emtricitabine (plus Kaletra or nevirapine). You're taking three NRTIs when you only need two.

Can you find another doctor? Personally, I don't think this guy you're currently seeing is all that up on hiv treatments.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
Thanks for the advise Ann. I also asked him if I can take antihistamine along with the efavirenz and nevirapine but he just brushed off that idea. I'm already contemplating on looking for another doctor in our country. Hopefully, I can find a good one.
CD4: 348 VL:147,000 - March 13,2013
CD4: 413 VL:49 - August 9, 2013
CD4: 619 VL:31 - January 30, 2014

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:34 am »
Paul, if he switched you immediately because of the rash, in the absence of a high fever and/or mouth blisters (in other words, without indications of Stevens–Johnson syndrome (SJS) being present), without putting you on an antihistamine first, then you really do need to look for another doctor.

Another red flag in this guy's treatment of you is putting you on three NRTIs when you only need two. 

Good luck, I hope you can find someone who knows what they're doing.

PS - you should be able to find an agency who can recommend a new doctor for you over at aidsmap - http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:03:01 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:03:26 am »
Why such a heavy combo?

You almost certainly don't need the AZT that's in Combivir. 3TC, the other drug in Combivir, plus tenofovir are enough.

And why in this day and age, Kaletra? Is this all that's available?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:21 am »
Matt, Paul is in the Philippines and (according to his doctor), this is his last "free" combo available. From one of Paul's other threads (Estiva and Avocomb)...

Just came from my doctor. Good news and bad news.

Good news: I have another option on my meds. Doc will let me take Kaletra. He said it has the same efficacy as Efivarenz and Nevirapine but less side effects. I just need to take more tablets per day (it's fine with me, as long as I won't have side effects as before). I just need to stop my current meds for 1 week, then I'll start with new.

Bad news: This is the last medicine available for me. In our country there's not much option on meds. If this still doesn't work for me, doc said that I don't have other "free" options. This worries me a lot, since I'll need to purchase my meds in another country. (I know worrying doesn't help, but I can't resist). I'm really hoping that Kaletra works for me.

Paul was only diagnosed in mid-March of this year and his doctor already has him on his third combo, for no obvious good reason.

I can't help but get the feeling that Paul's doctor is a sandwich or two short of a picnic. Or a med or two short of a good combo. :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.