Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:18:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 640
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 5933 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
RANT
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:04:52 pm »
I can't help but wonder how much money within the HIV budgets is pissed away by people who insist on testing at week 6, week 7, week 8, week 9, week 10, week 11, week 12, week 13 and beyond...and with all those high dollar and useless tests that people constantly come forth with in AAI?

And how is it that so many of these people know about all of the most obscure testing methods under the sun...yet still wanna find out if they might possibly have gotten teh AIDS when somebody sneezed near them and things like that?

And why is it that people always...ALWAYS touch the mystery blood like spots with the hand that had "the cut on it"??
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: RANT
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »
It's called hysteria, and irrational fear -- even after almost 30 years of research and experience.   ???   Even with the facts right in front of them, some people choose to ignore them.   No wonder each of us has to deal with fear and stigma, just like Jeromy addressed recently on his blog   :'(

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.  And what if someone who is HIV+ had a cut on their hand, and rinsed their hands in the water, just before the horse took a drink?    ::)

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:51 pm »
Honey,

Matty the Damned knows your pain here. I used to tell people who did the:

"I'll just test anyways at 13 weeks coz I need to know I'm negative"

routine that they shouldn't. That they wasted money, time and laboratory resources when they did that because they really didn't need to fucking test in the first fucking place.

But these people don't care. They're arseholes-supreme, each and everyone. They have not one iota of concern for anyone other than themselves. The worst ones are the shit-birds who say:

"It's not me I worry about it's my wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/whore-with-a-heart-of-gold that I'm really worried about."

Turds.

It is my earnest hope that each and everyone of those human crap-bags gets symptomatic chlamydia and anal warts.

The extra lumpy kind.

MtD

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »

And why is it that people always...ALWAYS touch the mystery blood like spots with the hand that had "the cut on it"??

I think it's because people think that all the bad bugs are like crabs--they can jump from the toilet seat to your tush and from the dead, dried blood to that pretty-much-closed abrasion on your hand.

But what exactly do you mean by HIV budgets? Does testing at a public clinic come directly out of money set aside for HIV/AIDS? Would a public clinic test someone so often? I would think that anyone demanding unreasonable testing in the US would pretty much have to pay privately, but honestly, I don't read the AAI forum much these days.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:14 pm »
Yeah, I agree with Basquo.  I'm not sure how those tests are funded.  Hell, even when I was tested back in the stone ages I did it in a private doctor's office and ran it through my medical insurance.

I would worry more about cases of fraud (meds, Medicare, etc.) like I read about happening recently like wild down in Florida.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »
I know here in Memphis testing and treatment for any STD is free. I guess as long as you don't test positive you would be allowed to test continually. At my pharmacy they offer free HIV testing every Thursday.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
My ASO does testing at 13 sites.  I don't know where that money comes from, but I'm assuming from their budget and that's funded by the state etc.  I'm like Philly, when I got tested, it was through a private office paid for by insurance.

Timmy, that's why I can only read the AAI forum only rarely.   I just don't have the patience much anymore.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »
I understand the frustration here, and I think the follow-up question of where the testing funds come from is a great one.

Interestingly I just posted a story earlier about the President's cutting over $1billion for domestic HIV/AIDS programs in the proposed 2009 budget. It certainly brings to mind questions of what we are expected to cut while most programs are already starved for resources to begin with.

I am realizing what a Shangri La I was once in living in NYC compared to here in Charlotte when it comes to funding and availability of HIV programs. The people I have met are terrific and they are working overtime, but that seems to be a poor match to the tidal wave of needs that I see here due to lack of available programs and a state and local government who still doesn't see HIV prevention and the needs of those with HIV as a serious concern.

Just mulling over this whole thing, and to offer an idea of the original point that Thunter raised, I really think this whole thing is an argument for the need for better counseling in testing scenarios.  Maybe forcing people to be educated in one on one sessions both before and after testing would alleviate some of the need to search the internet and frequent testing for answers. 

Then again, there are always going to be those who will only take a positive test result as an acceptable end  to their safe sex mishaps and worries of becoming infected.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:47:41 pm by Iggy »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:50 pm »
I should add that the Ryan White funding is notoriously byzantine.  Rest assured that money appropriated for HIV meds would be kept separate from funding for any prevention testing, etc.  I know that the money for "auxiliary services" or however they term non-treatment stuff like case management is totally separate.  Any recent cut backs, for example, have effected that latter segment and not meds that I know of.

I have a good friend who is co-chair of the Ryan White Planning Council for the Philadelphia area so I guess I could shoot him an email if anyone really wants the answer.  As regards Iggy's comments, my friend is actually going to DC next week to lobby congressmen/women about this issue.  If you really want to get into this subject I'd assume that there is a similar Ryan White advisory board in your area.

Maybe someone here will weigh in with more knowledge though, but rest assured we'll need a better thread title to entice some other than "RANT" :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »
There are one of two ways that most tests are funded. Federal tax money or state tax money and those that pay for it are the ones that pay taxes. I said MOST because there are some ASO that do fund raising to pay for testing, when you test via the county, it's money from the health departments budget and they get their funds from property taxes. So when one says it's free it really not free.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »
btw, this gives you some idea of what we are dealing with here -- note that all of the funding is done regionally by metro areas or something... it's not always done on a state level, as you can see where we are some of the counties across the river in southern New Jersey are included in our funding.

(this link is a .pdf file so if that is going to screw up your browser you may need to save it to your hard drive and use Adobe Acrobat or other separate .pdf reader)

http://www.hivphilly.org/Ryan%20White%20Planning%20Council/RWPC%20fy07%20Allocations%20press%20release.pdf

I just know in many talks with my friends that it's all horribly complex.  The funding is re-authorized every 3-4 years, not yearly, so that also adds to the confusion.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »
Something that Iggy brought up has really stuck to me.  The fact that in huge urbanite "hot" areas (NY, CA, FL, ect) funding and programs are vast.  However, in rural states like mine, WV (w/ a state population less than the city of Pittsburg), it's nearly impossible to find ANYthing.  I went to the DHHR website to look for information and the first thing on their menu is AIDS but it does SQUAT in terms of information about services, counsoling, help w/ meds, insurance issues, nothing!  I've now given this website to our PID hoping that she'll give it out and others can find help.  (I just hope she doesn't visit and see all the rants I've made about her ;)).  Just because we are a small state in terms of population doesn't mean that we've missed the "scurge" of HIV/AIDS. 

Is there any way to find out how money is allocated?  Is it per CDC reportings of HIV/AIDS infections?  Or, by state population?  Or just luck of the draw? 

I think that manditory counsoling prior to testing is a great idea.  At the very least, a check-list of risky behaviours to see if testing is even warrented.  Better education of local health departments about virus transmission would go a long way, also.  A lot of times I see that people are "worried" and getting tested per doctor's instructions / suggestions.  Of course with the avaliability of annonymity, there's nothing that would prevent a WW from clinic-hopping to continue excessive testing.

There are no easy answers here, but plenty of good discussion.  Thanks Timmy-tation :-*

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:19:20 pm »
A lopt of of the funding is based on names reporting.

Funding rules changed recently and if the state does not report on names no funding.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Iggy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 09:50:14 pm »
Something that Iggy brought up has really stuck to me.  The fact that in huge urbanite "hot" areas (NY, CA, FL, ect) funding and programs are vast.  However, in rural states like mine, WV (w/ a state population less than the city of Pittsburg), it's nearly impossible to find ANYthing.  I went to the DHHR website to look for information and the first thing on their menu is AIDS but it does SQUAT in terms of information about services, counsoling, help w/ meds, insurance issues, nothing!  I've now given this website to our PID hoping that she'll give it out and others can find help.  (I just hope she doesn't visit and see all the rants I've made about her ;)).  Just because we are a small state in terms of population doesn't mean that we've missed the "scurge" of HIV/AIDS. 

Mum,

Your post reminded me of a site that I had posted (and forgotten) a long time ago: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparecat.jsp?cat=11

The linked site is an excellent resource of State Health facts which offer a breakdown from everything from reported cases to ADAP funding.  It might be a good reference tool for you (and others)

On a separate note, I owe someone (not sure who) somekind of cosmic apology about Ryan White Funding.  (Sorry for thread hijack, thunter) but the whole time I was in NYC I hated the whole argument to take funds out of my district because I was more concerned with Political Pork barrel fights than the reality of funding needs.

Being in NC only a few months, I am shocked at just how little is available...and how small that little pot really gets when you discount religious groups who actually get a sizable chunk of the funds and yet provide NO SERVICES!  Maybe it was good for me to move out of the sheltered life of NYC to the real face of this country where all is well and all is grand just as long as you are employed and not considered unemployable whether through disability or prejudice.

Personally, I plan on taking Philly's advice and seeing how involved I can get on the local council.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:55:46 pm »
The cost of a test is $2. The cost of the staff that deals with testing and counceling is ridiculous compared to the cost it takes to give someone that has not tested and turns out to be positive after a couple of years.

Some of you may know that I am following a 23yo guy that tested positive back in september while in jail. It is believed that he's been positive for 4 years. He's currently in the hospital for treating acute neurosyphillis. The cost of his hospital visit is around $54000 for 2 weeks of treatment. This does not include the HIV tests, just the IV, the bed, the doctors and the food. This will be paid by Ryan White because he's positive.

Had this boy get tested every time he had exposure, he wouldn't be enduring this, a couple of butt shots would have cleared the syphilis, he wouldn't have lost vision and wouldn't be in this hospital bed. He also would have had more time to digest & think about how is life will be with HIV, rather than rushing him to meds.

There are obsessive compulsive people everywhere and they cost billions of dollars. However, I don't think the ones that cost the most are the ones that test for HIV because they sit on a dirty toilet.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 12:15:10 am »
Iggy, very interesting information, thanks for posting it.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 03:08:32 am »
Interestingly I just posted a story earlier about the President's cutting over $1billion for domestic HIV/AIDS programs in the proposed 2009 budget.
I thought that as well, but then I looked at the budget.  It turns out that department that is being cut does other things besides HIV/AIDS and it's other programs (like educational grants for doctors) that is being cut not their HIV/AIDS programs, which are being flat funded (effectively).  I think that article, while completely accurate, is misleading.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 12:32:47 pm »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:02:06 pm by John2038 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:33 pm »
John, that really has nothing to do with what was being discussed.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline carousel

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 01:19:41 pm »
The world is full of hypochondriacs who clog up the medical system and gravitate to any illness like flies to a pile of brown stuff.  I don’t necessarily think that it is just a HIV thing.

What it might show is that the fear and also ignorance around it is special.  Nothing like this blood borne virus to put the hebbie jeebies up them.  As the story on Poz raises today, how exactly are people being educated about HIV.  It is no wonder that people say such stupid things when they are not being offered clear advice on what this virus means for them.

By offering its Am I infected forum, this site provides some kind of focus for people to come out with some of the more wild and crazy ways of getting HIV. 

Why can’t they understand that the only ways to get it is from a toilet seat and catching yourself on a rusty nail.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 03:05:11 pm »
Think of AMI as something of a sewer-trap. It catches the nasty things we don't want washing into our peaceful lagoon.

Some may remember the old "Fears of Getting HIV" forum. Now THAT place was a riot. We had some true crazies back in those days. One of the more notable threads from that internet train wreck was the now legendary "pussy beer" thread.

Mercy!

I can remember a time when WW's would post willy-nilly, often in Living With. What's worse is some of the more intrepid shit-birds would actually PM newly-diagnosed people asking the most offensive and intrusive questions. That's why these days they're penned up in the AMI gulag and dwell there under a Stalinist regime, presided over by Her Annship.

The majority of people who come here seeking transmission advice never even post. Our testing and transmission lessons and the answers already provided to others tell them what they need to know. If you check the members list you'll see a lot accounts with zero posts. Those are people who didn't become Worried Wells. They are decent, normal folk.

Which is why it's important that those questions are answered. Chances are the mental pygmy posting who started the thread won't get the hint, but somebody else may benefit from the answers given.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.