Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:13:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 220
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Maybe I'm just a dumb bitch  (Read 8461 times)

Offline DancerBoy

Maybe I'm just a dumb bitch
« on: June 14, 2006, 03:36:34 am »
but I hate what this damned merger has done to the forums.  They're not the warm friendly inviting place they were9 months ago when I joined.  They've become cold and sterile. None of the old regulars post anymore... Moffie, Joe, RAB, even JK!
We used to be a family.  Now we're part of a corporation.  Now people that have not become a part of us are bloggers? Without the group deciding as whole?  I'm sure they're wonderful people, but how are we supposed to relate to them when we don't know them?  Reagan has introduced ourselves to us once. To the best of my recollection the only other time she ever posted was when POZ needed  people to pose for pictures. I know she's a wonderful woman and I respect her tremendously.... Same goes for Shawn... but I just don't get it... Maybe I'm just biased.  Maybe I just want a "Trish" blog....  Who knows...
I'm sure the merger has done some positive, but I would like to just point  out that I think it wasn't for the best.

I'm just saying...

-Danny

Peter seriously, what the hell has happened?
Boys are Stupid

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: Maybe I'm just a dumb bitch
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:43:57 pm »
I initially had the same reaction on the blogs.  

To point out, the group never has decided who got blogs before.  That's always been a top dog decision (and I think it reflect a set of different demographics of users so there is somebody that each person might relate too)

Regan, as part editor in chief, I presume received a blog as an effort to crossbreed the two sites.   She is quite an inspiration to many posters here, especially women. 

She is linked and advertised on POZ to the forums here... this type of thing will likely be ongoing as the two site become more closely merged  (just like the forums being under poz.com now)   Which I don't consider a bad thing at all.  It does drive more people here and for getting correct information out to the world is a good thing imho.

Being an editor in cheif of a magazine probably doesn't leave her alotta free time to chit chat here in the forums like some of us have.

Sean came as a bit more of a surprise.  I too was a bit taken aback at first, but it is a logical and likely event and I'm sure sean has alot to offer these forums and the blogs.   Intergration is required and some changes may seem rough at first, but also wouldn't be possible without poz.   

Sean took a bit of a lickin but definitely came out kickin in good spirits (see his caption under his avatar :P )  and his recent blog.   He has a mischeivious quality about him that I'm finding endearing.  

I also think sometimes some fresh perspectives and input is a very good thing.   We can get caught in a rut at times and I do find him a 'breathe of fresh air'.  I know I can use an attitude adjustment at times.

Our family is getting bigger... so instead of brothers and sisters... now it's a whole extended family with cousins, neices and nephews.  True, it won't be as tightnit as before... but as we grow, things will change.  That doesn't mean our original family goes away though either.

I don't think a whole lot of member participation has changed as a result of this... just people have different and changing priorities in their lives and that is going to cycle over time. 

That being said, I think a great new feature would be to host blogs for anyone who wants to sign up for one in addition to any featured blogs.  Maybe that's just dreamin since there are alotta blog sites out there, but to have a huge blog site especially for hiv people... that'd be kinda kewl

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:52:34 pm by DingoBoi »

jerry

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:46:16 pm »
Bump

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:55:47 pm »
I did not post for much of the month I was in LA. Didn't help that I fried the computer and had to reinstall everything, while being thousands of miles away from home.

I'm back Danny, and have been slowly stepping up my posting. But I have l;oads of cleaning to do here, a body to put into shape, and.. well, one thing I learned in LA was that I need away from computer time, and seriously.

This week, maybe not so much, seeing as my car is in the shop. But oddly, as a writer, I have written LESS when I participate MORE here on aidsmeds. And I REALLY want to do more writing. So that might mean not spending so much time here, not even ont he FEARS forums.

But I get hwat you mean. Nastiness sort of drove me away from the OLD forum, at least the LIVING with area. I am trying to give this NEW place a clean slate, and treat it as virginal. Heh heh.

Give it time.... and posts! I am sure there are good times to be had here.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:05:59 pm »
PS: You are not a dumb bitch.

:P
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:04:26 pm »
I didn't even know we had a new blogger (Shawn).   ???

There has been a change in the dynamics, at least I think so.  But oh well, not much you can do about it, except do what makes you happy.  Post what you wanna post, when you wanna post it.  Have fun.  Learn a little.  Help out a lot.  And let the chips fall where they may.

Things will never be like they used to be (in anything that we do).  And that's okay.  High school was fun.  I kinda missed it that summer after we graduated.  And I haven't thought about it since.  Go figure.

And no, you're not a dumb bitch.

Miss ya,

Cliff
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:07:12 pm by Cliff »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:49:41 pm »
Danny -- sorry you're feeling that way.  I'm still feeling very optimistic since the merger.  My creative juices are flowing again, and now I have some extra resources to try new things on AIDSmeds and POZ.  We're about to launch POZ Podium, a new content area that will kind of be like an online op-ed page.  It will be a place were activists and others can submit opinion pieces which the editorial team at POZ/AIDSmeds will review for possible online posting.  We'll put out an announcement soon, asking for submissions.

We're also planning on upgrading the user interface of Graph My Labs and Check My Meds -- both have always been a little difficult to use (not as intuitive as they could be), so I'm really glad they're going to get a face lift.

It certainly doesn't feel "corporate" around here to me.  Technically, it's always been a corporation, it's just now it's changed from a dictatorship (me) to more of a military junta.  ;)  Seriously though, it's just a handful of people here calling the shots, just like it's always been.  The top honcho is very accommodating -- if I tell him the site really needs something, or the site will be hurt if something is changed, he's always done the right thing.

As for the forums changing, in my humble opinion, they've been changing constantly from day 1 when we launched 6 years ago.  And every couple of months, someone starts a thread saying very similar things to what you've said.  I'm not saying you're wrong -- the forums ARE changing.  I'm just saying they've always felt like this to anyone that's remained active in them for more than 6 months.  

Try to keep an open heart; help others as often as you can; avoid flame wares; and when all else fails, take a break from here if you need it.

I'm just really glad you care enough about this site to let us know you want it to be even better.

Peter

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:12:46 pm »
Hey bud, it could be worse

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 06:57:15 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:39:51 pm by Iggy »

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:37:41 pm »

Danny, I kind of agree with you, but I can’t put my finger on what’s wrong.

I know my having dial-up is really slow in this new forum. So I just look for the name of those people I like and read maybe respond.  I’m going to give it a little more time and if I get use to it I’ll stay around or wander off to new pastures.

That’s it!!!    :D   They’re trying to get rid of me!   :'(

Terry

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 08:41:57 pm »
I imagine the huge number of bells and whistles is off-putting to some of the members, and it's lack of simplicity is causing some to look elsewhere for their needs.

I am fairly tech savvy, and I have been daunted by this new format.

Welcome Thread

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 09:00:19 pm »
Jonathan, I think your right.  It’s the format (If that’s the correct way to say it) not who you like or don’t like. Or who’s older younger, smarter or more popular. It’s just the mechanics of the web site  ??? ??? ???

And Danny can call himself anything he wants to! When your that sexy and a dancer with buns of steel. Oh, I’m feeling faint.  ::)

Terry

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:03:02 pm by Terry »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 09:47:45 pm »
Babycakes...  Those aren't the names I'd use but Yes.  There have been some changes...
and some for the better.  So far everybody's showing respect for everybody else.  Change
is inevitable....how we cope with it says so much.

Behind your back... :o

I'd call you a Talented, Artistic Funny Boy :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:31:25 pm »

Hi Danny,
  I must respectfully disagree.
 All of the people I have come to know are still here, and I welcome the fresh viewpoints of the newer members. We all come here together in this forum to share our lives, loves, happiness, celebrations,pitfalls, and ideas.
  I have not experienced any feelings of trepidation, or distance. Quite the opposite in my opinion.
The particulars of the new software may very well be daunting to some, and I am not well versed in the use of some of the new toys, but rather, what one says, or offers to the discussion will not change simply because it appears in a different format.
  I still love this place. I love every last one of you, and a different appearance will not change that. I'm still me, and you're still you, and all of the people I have come to know, are still the same too.
 Granted, we now see a faster flux of new members, but we all knew that would happen with the merger.
Frankly I think the place has grown gracefully.
You are most certainly not a "dumb bitch", and your voice is important. So is mine, and each person who brings something to the table.
  I like it here. :)

No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 10:45:40 pm »
something  that I have seen repeatedly stated or implied (in various ways) on this board since I joined and has irked me is the idea that the board belongs somehow to those who were here first or longer; That "ownership" includes a sort of rationale to say that it just isn't a good place anymore or that the new (whether members or board format) needs to be held in a skeptical light.

yippee kai ae, I'm fresh meat!  :D  :D

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 12:59:50 am »
I hope that nobody gets the impression that I feel the "newbies" are any less important to the group.  I think everybody has something to contribute and I don't value your opinions or knowledge any less.  Hell, you can always learn something from anyone.

Maybe a large part of what I feel is because I'm busy and I'm not around much anymore.  I don't know all the newer members and feel left out to a certain extent.  I certainly hope that I didn't offend anybody and I would hate for this to get all crazy outta hand like similar threads in the past.

You get as much as you put in and I just haven't put in very much lately...
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline joemutt

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 01:00:52 am »
It's like we've been transplanted to a new beehive and have to buzz around a little to get re acquainted to each other ???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:45:35 am by joemutt »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.