Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:46:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 252
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tired of suckling the SSDI Tit  (Read 46611 times)

Dan J.

Tired of suckling the SSDI Tit
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:34:26 pm »
OK here goes...

I have been drawing SSDI since July 2003. I received a Ticket To Work shortly after my SSDI payments started went through TN Dept of Human Services Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation. I went through a 13 week course to study for my State of TN Debt Collectors license. Which I received in  Jan 2004. For a while I worked in a small office for the law firm I currently working for until the moved me to my home. I work from home 6 days a week Monday/Thursday 8:00 AM-2:00PM & then from 5:00pm to 8:00pm, Fridays 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM & Saturdays from 8:00am to 2:00 PM. I am only paid by commission, if a debtor doesn't pay their bill, I don't get paid. I work my ass off for my employer but I can't seem to get anyone to make a direct payment to me or if they make a payment arrangement they don't honor the agreement. When I call to remind debtors of the balance due I get cussed out, screamed at or they just hang up on me. I have been told by several debtors that I am the nicest debtor collector they have ever had call them. I think my 'southern accent' works against me when I try to collect. I reopened my case with TN Voc Rehab in March of 2006.  My case work promised me that she would find me a job that would pay me a hourly wage. I'm still waiting for that job.  My case worker does not return my phone calls. I call her 3 times a week & I never get a response. I am seriously considering writing my state & federal elected congressman, the governor & the director of Vocational Rehabilitation about the lack of service I have received since reopening my voc rehab case. I feel like they put me off because I am living with AIDS. I want to work, earn my keep & get off disability. My local ASO is having a benefits Seminar on Aug 10th. This is through West TN Legal Services. I am going to discuss this matter with my case worker & see if they can help me get some action done on my behalf.  Maybe they have a job placement program they can help me with, but as far as I know they don't. Sorry for the rant, but this has been going on for a long time & I'm really starting to get tired of the whole mess.  Any advice or input that someone can chime in with would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
Re: Tired of suckling the SSDI Tit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:43:42 pm »
OK here goes...

I have been drawing SSDI since July 2003. I received a Ticket To Work shortly after my SSDI payments started went through TN Dept of Human Services Dept of Vocational Rehabilitation. I went through a 13 week course to study for my State of TN Debt Collectors license. Which I received in  Jan 2004. For a while I worked in a small office for the law firm I currently working for until the moved me to my home. I work from home 6 days a week Monday/Thursday 8:00 AM-2:00PM & then from 5:00pm to 8:00pm, Fridays 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM & Saturdays from 8:00am to 2:00 PM. I am only paid by commission, if a debtor doesn't pay their bill, I don't get paid. I work my ass off for my employer but I can't seem to get anyone to make a direct payment to me or if they make a payment arrangement they don't honor the agreement. When I call to remind debtors of the balance due I get cussed out, screamed at or they just hang up on me. I have been told by several debtors that I am the nicest debtor collector they have ever had call them. I think my 'southern accent' works against me when I try to collect. I reopened my case with TN Voc Rehab in March of 2006.  My case work promised me that she would find me a job that would pay me a hourly wage. I'm still waiting for that job.  My case worker does not return my phone calls. I call her 3 times a week & I never get a response. I am seriously considering writing my state & federal elected congressman, the governor & the director of Vocational Rehabilitation about the lack of service I have received since reopening my voc rehab case. I feel like they put me off because I am living with AIDS. I want to work, earn my keep & get off disability. My local ASO is having a benefits Seminar on Aug 10th. This is through West TN Legal Services. I am going to discuss this matter with my case worker & see if they can help me get some action done on my behalf.  Maybe they have a job placement program they can help me with, but as far as I know they don't. Sorry for the rant, but this has been going on for a long time & I'm really starting to get tired of the whole mess.  Any advice or input that someone can chime in with would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I don't want to sound harsh, but finding you a job is your responsibility not your case managers and I see NO benefit in complaining.  You may potentially burn bridges for your future!

It's great that you took a chance and tried this career approach, but if it's not working then try something else.   

People can help you, but you have to work at helping yourself too.

Good luck to you!

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 05:57:34 pm »
My friend Michael who has been poz for twenty years and on disabilty decided he was bored and wanted to work. He did use the services provided to finally complete his last two years of college. After that he went out and applied for jobs on his own...his only real requirement was health insurance with no pre-existing clause. It took about eight months but he finally landed a computer geek job with FedEx and couldn't be happier.

I thought I remember you posting about a job they offered you through this program last year. Whatever happened there? Maybe it is still available? Good luck.

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:02:19 pm »
Hey Dan,

I don't want to sound harsh, but finding you a job is your responsibility not your case managers and I see NO benefit in complaining.  You may potentially burn bridges for your future!

It's great that you took a chance and tried this career approach, but if it's not working then try something else.   

People can help you, but you have to work at helping yourself too.

Good luck to you!

Wesley

It is the job of the case manager with Vocational Rehab to help me find suitable emplyment. She has done NOTHING for me since I reopened my Voc Rehab case. They brush me off because I have the stigma of AIDS attached to myself. I wanted to go back to school  & become a medical  lab Technician but my Voc Rehab counsilors supervisor told me I couldn't do that because i'm HIV + She wanted to provide her with somesort of proof that HIV+ people can work in a medical setting. I told her I personally know HIV+ nurses that are still working in thir chosen profession. She didn't believe me.

Hal, I took the job @ the bank but at the time they wanted me to go FULL time but  I wasn't ready to give up SSDI/Medicare. Now I am ready, willing and able to have a real job with real benefits again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 07:20:48 pm »
Dan, it would be nice to be able to get a job. It's just nothing I can do in my situation and it's beyond my control. I hope things work out for you.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
It is the job of the case manager with Vocational Rehab to help me find suitable employment. She has done NOTHING for me since I reopened my Voc Rehab case. They brush me off because I have the stigma of AIDS attached to myself. I wanted to go back to school  & become a medical  lab Technician but my Voc Rehab counsilors supervisor told me I couldn't do that because i'm HIV + She wanted to provide her with somesort of proof that HIV+ people can work in a medical setting. I told her I personally know HIV+ nurses that are still working in thir chosen profession. She didn't believe me.

Hal, I took the job @ the bank but at the time they wanted me to go FULL time but  I wasn't ready to give up SSDI/Medicare. Now I am ready, willing and able to have a real job with real benefits again.

Hey Dan,

I think it's very comendable that you are wanting to start a new career.   Clearly, this lady is ill informed and knows nothing about the law.   I do understand your frustration with that.

Have you tried seeking employment assistance with a local work force organization?   Many of these have specialized people who strictly deal with people with disabilities.   

Sometimes ASO staff aren't aware of all the opportunities available and like anyone they can become apathetic with their own jobs.   I'd encourage you to put your energy and ambition in a new direction and avoid an altercation with her.   I know of someone here who did complain about an ASO staff person and all he accomplished was shooting himself in the foot.   Many are reluctant to help him now.   

Best wishes!

Wesley

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:22:27 pm »
Hey Dan,

I have also been disapointed with the Ticket to Work program.  Signed up immediately becvause in their words thetre were over 4 million people on disability and this was an attempt to help those of us who could, return to work.  I got my "Ticket to Work" on my Birthday month and started making calls.  That was at least 4 years ago.  Ticket to work did not and still does not offer any job placement services.

With the Re-Entry Task Force, I called the 4 Sonoma County offices who help with resume services under the Ticket to Work Program.  They did not attend our public gathering of people living with HIV.  SonomaJobs, Goodwill and JobLink did, along with the Positive Resource Center of San Francisco.

Positive Resource Center www.positiveresource.org can not accept more than 3 persons at a time from any other county because of funding and availability.  Sonoma County did offer a van at no cost to the client patients at no charge.  SonomaJobs, Goodwill, and JobLink, like most non-profits had meetings to [plan meetings, to talk about meetings.  Half of our audience went to meet with these organizations and are still looking for work.  Have the best day
Michael
(who would say, "tired of sucking the SSDI cock, but there is not one they know about")   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:37:06 pm »
Wes,

Why shouldn't Dan complain about his case worker - she's obviously not doing the job she's paid for.

Dan, maybe you could go for HER job. You're probably better qualified! Good luck with going after her. I really get riled with people who work in this type of job who don't actuall "work". It's sickening. ::)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:06:42 pm »
Hey, I understand the frustration of your caseworker not calling you back.  Here in Indiana, they privatized the social services offices, which was such an assanine thing to do.  But that's Mitch Daniels for ya.  Now when someone calls welfare, they don't know if they're talking to a computer or somebody in the frickin' Bahamas! 
   I am currently going to school through voc. rehab.  I don't know why your voc. rehab counselor wouldn't let you go to school.  Lots of positive people work in the medical field.  That's not what I'm going for, but, hey, whatever will make you happy.  I, however, am not going to look for full-time work when I graduate because I can't afford to lose Medicare Part D.  Hence, I will only be working as much as social security allows before cutting me off.  Good luck with your situation.  It pisses me off also, like Ann, when people in social service jobs don't do any social service!  Keep fighting!
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:35 pm »
I don't have any good advice but I can say that your caseworker is not properly doing her job,  the slag.  I join the chorus that it completely twists my tit when people in social services do not and cannot possibly muster any form of compassion and humanity required for such positions.

Don't lay off..keep at it..

JP
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 11:04:45 pm »
Wes,

Why shouldn't Dan complain about his case worker - she's obviously not doing the job she's paid for.

Dan, maybe you could go for HER job. You're probably better qualified! Good luck with going after her. I really get riled with people who work in this type of job who don't actuall "work". It's sickening. ::)

Ann

Hey Ann,

Well, basically what I'm saying is you get more bees with honey.    I've got friends who work for various ASO's and believe me they get frustrated and side with fellow employees more often than not.

I just don't think filing a huge complaint is very productive.   

Dan, is there perhaps another counselor who can help you there?   Maybe switching to a different person that is brighter might be an option?

Wesley

Offline Grinch

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:46 am »
It sounds like you're spending some energy trying to make your case worker find you a job.  Are you getting your resume out here on your own?  Personaly I wouldn't want to have to wait on a social worker to help me out.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 01:04:12 am »
Hey, I understand the frustration of your caseworker not calling you back.  Here in Indiana, they privatized the social services offices, which was such an assanine thing to do.  But that's Mitch Daniels for ya.  Now when someone calls welfare, they don't know if they're talking to a computer or somebody in the frickin' Bahamas! 
   I am currently going to school through voc. rehab.  I don't know why your voc. rehab counselor wouldn't let you go to school.  Lots of positive people work in the medical field.  That's not what I'm going for, but, hey, whatever will make you happy.  I, however, am not going to look for full-time work when I graduate because I can't afford to lose Medicare Part D.  Hence, I will only be working as much as social security allows before cutting me off.  Good luck with your situation.  It pisses me off also, like Ann, when people in social service jobs don't do any social service!  Keep fighting!
Betty

I don't understand this.  If you take a full time job you'll have benefits, you won't need medicare.  If you can't work then you can't...if you can why wouldn't you?  Why not excel instead of settling for minimums?  Just having AIDS doesn't mean roll over and accept what they give you.  It means we have to overcome the side effects of the meds, and overcome the pain and fatigue that comes with the virus but it is possible.
I understand that eventually some of us may become disabled but until then, why not just go for it and do for our selves?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 04:57:52 am »
Hey Ann,

Well, basically what I'm saying is you get more bees with honey.    I've got friends who work for various ASO's and believe me they get frustrated and side with fellow employees more often than not.

I just don't think filing a huge complaint is very productive.   

Dan, is there perhaps another counselor who can help you there?   Maybe switching to a different person that is brighter might be an option?

Wesley

Wes-

That is the problem with ASOs. The help there spent equal time congratulating each other and cover each other's asses I loathe how beholden we are to the typical apathetic, do-nothing case managers who dominate the field. The answer is not (I have learned the very hard way) bouncing around from one to the next: the answer is in forcing the hand of an AIDS carrerist into doing his/her job. Excuse-making for such deadweight draining the slender resources we possess only aggravates the problem. I cannot honestly believe that doing the absolute minimum is more important than doing what one is paid for. Coddling incompetents is not the answer.

I don't understand this.  If you take a full time job you'll have benefits, you won't need medicare.  If you can't work then you can't...if you can why wouldn't you?  Why not excel instead of settling for minimums?  Just having AIDS doesn't mean roll over and accept what they give you.  It means we have to overcome the side effects of the meds, and overcome the pain and fatigue that comes with the virus but it is possible.
I understand that eventually some of us may become disabled but until then, why not just go for it and do for our selves?

Grinch-
Do you even read Rush Limbaugh's talking points before spitting them back out? Have you no concept whatsoever how miserly private-sector health care has become (outside of your lofty New England ideal)?

Betty cannot give up her SSDI/Medicare benefits because her options are not feasible financially nor in terms of comparable care. Please don't follow the mantra of conservatism so far that you cannot understand why she would never choose to lower her standard of health care, given the paucity of choices she would face?
The answer is not in cutting SSDI/Medicare benefits, but in making private sector benefits comparable. It's the very least we owe the most productive workforce in the world.

Brent
(Who puked a little in his mouth when reading these two replies)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 06:36:31 am »
Hey Ann,

Well, basically what I'm saying is you get more bees with honey.   

Wes,

Sure you get more bees with honey, but if the beekeeper doesn't do his job, that honey is never going to make it to my kitchen table.

Ann
(whose first name means Queen Bee)

(Ann is my middle name)

(really)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Grinch

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 08:50:18 am »
Bucko I wasn't attacking and I wasn't regurgitating anyone's opinion.  I honestly don't understand.

Why would anyone refuse to work full time because they want to get SSDI?  If you're capable of working you're capable of not only getting by but of improving yourself.  My employer paid health insurance certainly isn't the greatest but since I just switched to Atripla I pay $50 a month for meds.  That's pretty reasonable in my book.
How is thinking that that is better than medicare spouting off Rush Limbaugh?

I understand fully that some need disability.  I needed it for a year myself.  My question is why would you turn down a full time job, with benefits that are likely better than medicare if you're able?  That's how I interpreted Betty's statement.
You'll never get promoted or better your lot in life if you rely on the government to do it for you!
Are we expected to just sit around and die because we have AIDS?   It sounds as if you support doing just that, and hoping for some kind of crumbs from the government to make everything a bit better while you're waiting.

Bucko you're one of those guys that I might disagree with on occasion but I respect your thoughts and opinions regardless of where they stand in relation to my own.  Are you really going to tell me it's better to take what medicare gives you, than it is to take your fate into your own hands if possible?

Dan J.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:04:07 am »
I think a little more info is needed here. My State of TN Vocational Rehab case worker placed me with a local employment network, I had one interview with her. (MARCH 06) she gave me a list of jobs. I went and applied for everyone one of them. NADA came out of it not even one interview. I even followed up on several occasions, still nothing. After 6 months I reapplied, still nothing. I haven't heard from the employment network counselor at all THIS YEAR.  I call her also, but no reply...

When I applied for SSDI I needed it to survive, but now that my condition has stabilized & my t-cells are at the highest they have been in ten years. I feel great & like I am waisting my life by living on what little bit of scratch Uncle Sam throws out at me on the 3rd of each month.

At the benefits seminar hosted by West TN Legal Services on Aug 10th I am going to bring up this situation with my ASO case worker. Maybe there is something on the legal end I can get done to make this State Employee actually help me make a PLAN to achieve the goal that I want for myself. I've read & reread all the paper work I signed when I reopened my case with Tn Vocational Rehab. I know my rights & the process to make a complaint & I will if I have to. But, if I can avoid that type of confrontation that would be great. I just want the same opportunity that every other vocational rehab client gets. I was told when I first started with Voc Rehab that no case is ever closed & that they would do everything they can to help me reach the employment goals that I helped plan out with her.  They don't have a right to tell me what I can or can not do because of my disability.

So my thoughts now are looking into the possibility of going back to school. Kinda scary for me since I haven't been in a classroom since the late '80's. I am going to look into either getting my A.S. in Social Work or Medical Lab Technology or possibly Radiology Technology. Being a Radiology Tech would make my pappy proud. He was a Radiologist before he retired in 1992.

I know I should be grateful that I am able to live @ home with my parents. But sometimes a man needs to get his own life back. I want my own home, with my own yard to mow, my house to clean or leave messy on a weekend. To be able to have friends over & smoke a little of gods good green & listen to my "strange music" at full volume when I want to. Staying on SSDI & working for a job from home not making squat isn't going to get me there.

Just to put somethings into perspective. I already listed the hours I work at the top of this thread. My call volume goal for the month of August is 1,500 calls/21 days = 71 CONTACTS a day. That's a lot of damn calls for a paycheck that won't even be 250.00 FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH.
Plus I miss having a working relationships with people. I work alone, the only contact I have with my supervisor is through Email only. I never get  any praise or constructive criticism from him. He's too busy kissing those big muscles on his arms in the mirror. But that's another looooooong story.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:47:54 am »
Brent
(Who puked a little in his mouth when reading these two replies)

qft
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Bucko

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 04:18:57 pm »
Bucko I wasn't attacking and I wasn't regurgitating anyone's opinion.  I honestly don't understand.

Why would anyone refuse to work full time because they want to get SSDI?  If you're capable of working you're capable of not only getting by but of improving yourself.  My employer paid health insurance certainly isn't the greatest but since I just switched to Atripla I pay $50 a month for meds.  That's pretty reasonable in my book.
How is thinking that that is better than medicare spouting off Rush Limbaugh?

I understand fully that some need disability.  I needed it for a year myself.  My question is why would you turn down a full time job, with benefits that are likely better than medicare if you're able?  That's how I interpreted Betty's statement.
You'll never get promoted or better your lot in life if you rely on the government to do it for you!
Are we expected to just sit around and die because we have AIDS?   It sounds as if you support doing just that, and hoping for some kind of crumbs from the government to make everything a bit better while you're waiting.

Bucko you're one of those guys that I might disagree with on occasion but I respect your thoughts and opinions regardless of where they stand in relation to my own.  Are you really going to tell me it's better to take what medicare gives you, than it is to take your fate into your own hands if possible?

A full-time job is no guarantee of insurance outside of competitive markets like California and Massachusetts. New Hampshire's residents benefit from such close proximity to what is, nationwide, the gold standard.

In the four years since I moved to Florida and lost my health insurance, I've been the director of a maid service (working over 60 hours per week), general manager of a furniture store (responsible for sales management, merchandising, distribution, ordering, etc) and night manager of one of the finest boutiques in Broward county. These were multi-million dollar operations that were "too poor" to offer any health care benefits to their employers.

It's telling of the diversity in "community standards" that the nightclub where I am currently working doesn't even carry Worker's Compensation insurance. I know that I'm spinning my wheels right now, but the practical option, making lattes at Starbucks, just makes me depressed.

In order to remain eligible for Ryan White funding for health care, my earnings are about 1/3 of what I earned in Connecticut, and must prove that I am borderline indigent every six months to a case-manager. the pharmacy, the doctor and the dentist (all with differing criteria) separately in order to receive any care whatsoever. To call it demoralizing is putting a very happy face on it.

I have seen the difference in medical care down here for those with SSDI/Medicare. It's like the difference between a city bus and a Jaguar. I should have applied for disability when I had the chance, but felt that once on it would be impossible to get off, and let a certain pride get in the way of my own good.

My options at this point are to apply at Starbucks for $7 per hour for the insurance and take another job to meet my $800 per month rent or go live on my sister's couch in North Andover. I'm sure that one way or another my hand will be forced, but for now am treading water.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 04:49:09 pm »
Why would anyone refuse to work full time because they want to get SSDI?  If you're capable of working you're capable of not only getting by but of improving yourself.   That's how I interpreted Betty's statement.

Grinch-
  I'm not saying people should lay around and die because of AIDS.  What I am saying is that last year Medicare Part D paid $45,000 for my medicine.  The doctor doesn't WANT me to work full-time.  The jobs around here wouldn't insure me.  I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but here it's no utopia.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Grinch

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 05:29:20 pm »
Bucko,

I certainly drive 2+ hours each way to recieve "gold standard" level of care.  That's one of the up sides of living here.  There are plenty of downsides.
If an employer doesn't offer health benefits then I agree completely the right thing to do is not take the job and keep looking.  We need benefits because we simply can't afford even meds under the current system.  Most full time jobs out side of the bar/restaurant buisness that I've had offered healthcare.  The system does need to be fixed though I'm still dead set against a government run system.  They've not run anything well, ever.

My statements were in response to what I see as a prevailing attitude by many here.  That attitude is: "I'm sick.  I want 100% disability for the rest of my life.  I want a nice home, a nice car, party money, free healthcare.  The government must now take care of me."

One poster seemed to be sayng he didn't have a job and it's the case workers fault.  My comment is fuck the case worker.  He could care less about you.
My meaning was simply.  If you CAN do for yourself do so.  Don't wait for anyone to do it for you.  Especially not the government.

We have AIDS, we're not helpless.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 05:33:49 pm »
My statements were in response to what I see as a prevailing attitude by many here.  That attitude is: "I'm sick.  I want 100% disability for the rest of my life.  I want a nice home, a nice car, party money, free healthcare.  The government must now take care of me."

One poster seemed to be sayng he didn't have a job and it's the case workers fault.  My comment is fuck the case worker.  He could care less about you.
My meaning was simply.  If you CAN do for yourself do so.  Don't wait for anyone to do it for you.  Especially not the government.

We have AIDS, we're not helpless.

Right wing clap-trap. Nobody here has espoused the attitude that you claim prevails. It's just more of your predictable heartlessness.

What about the people who CANNOT do for themselves, Grinchette? What is to be done about them? Should they just be cast aside like so much rubbish?

MtD

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 06:04:10 pm »
Those Ticket To Work jobs have been filled with illegal immigrants in most states and those of us living with AIDS are seldom selected for a CEO position.

I tried the ticket to work program, but was declined employement because I couldn't pass a drug test for the jobs offerred. One job required a special type of shoe I couldn't wear because of neuropathy. One employer just refused to hire someone with HIV or AIDS and was so narrowminded, he wouldn't even provide an application if he thought the person was gay.

SSDI fits me just fine after working for 23 years with HIV..

I don't consider it sucking the tit of SSDI because I worked for 25 years and paid into the system for the monthly benefit I recieve each month, I am entitled to.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 06:14:56 pm by atxpozguy »
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 06:13:10 pm »
What about the people who CANNOT do for themselves, Grinchette? What is to be done about them? Should they just be cast aside like so much rubbish?

Nope.  I never said that.  If you can't do for yourself then those that can help should.

There are those here that want things given to them.  My very favorite is the member that tells us about his boat, his convertable, his house in one of the most expensive neighborhoods around, and his top-shelf liquor, then complains that disability and medicare pay so little he has to go to the food bank.

How is it heartless to say If you're able to help yourself do so.  Don't wait on the government. 
How is it heartless to say AIDS doesn't mean roll over and die.  It means we have to work harder and endure more than those that don't deal with the side effects and virus it self.
You'll not find in any post I've made a mention of not helping those that really need it.

I've asked those that accuse me of such things if they'd be willing to put their money and time where their mouth is and make the next trip to Haiti or Belize or where ever clinic the docs are funding this year.
Not a single one is willing to put it out there.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 06:15:51 pm »
Damn you welfare queens are your PARTY MONEY!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 06:58:12 pm »
I've asked those that accuse me of such things if they'd be willing to put their money and time where their mouth is and make the next trip to Haiti or Belize or where ever clinic the docs are funding this year.
Not a single one is willing to put it out there.

As expected, a straw man argument.

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 07:05:22 pm »

I don't know why you feel you must attack those of us that HAVE to depend on SSDI and make us all out to look like strung-out junkies wringing our hands on the 3rd day of the month.  I have a cheap-ass car that was purchased with a loan refund I got from my college.  I don't get party money, a nice home or a luxury car.  I think you tend to generalize and you need to look at the individual.

Dan J.

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 07:19:30 pm »
Living on disablity is no damn picnic. I didn't mean to post this, but I am.

Grinch, Can YOU LIVE on 896.00 A MONTH? I do & if it were not for the help of my parents I would more than likely be living in some hell hole  of an apartment, trying to make it on 16.00 a month for food stamps, waiting for that 25.00 food voucher from the ASO every 3 months. Begging the ASO for RENTAL & Utility ASSISTANCE. The ONLY benefit I use from my ASO is dental care provided by Ryan White. I have to drive 25 miles one way to that dentist. I could get rembursed .35 cents a mile, but I don't ask for it.  As a matter of fact I recently told the ASO to stop sending me food voucher money because I knew they were running short of funds & I felt like I was taking food out of the mouth of someone who needed it more than I do.

I don't want to live on SSDI. I want OFF. That is the whole purpose of this thread. That and the LACK of professional service provided to me by my State of TN paid Vocational Rehab Counselor.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 07:29:33 pm »
You go ahead and bitch sweetheart.  I'm right there with ya.  I get $765.00 a month SSDI and $9.00 a month in food stamps.  It's definitely short of a nice home, car, party money etc...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 07:32:50 pm »
Dan, I live on a lot less than you, 623 from SSI and 123 for food stamps. This is in no way the way I lived up to two years ago, but I can think of a lot of people that have it a lot worse than me. I'm just happy for what I have and hope that I live long enough to collect my SS benefits. Yes, I'm poor and I'm broke, but I'm still happy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 07:37:02 pm »
There's something odd about complaining about AIDS welfare queens who don't want to work, in the very thread where someone on SSD is stating that they want to work.

Seems rather tactless frankly.  Impolite even.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 08:20:01 pm »
Everyone -

The "Welfare Queen" hijack of this thread stops right here, right now. That includes you too, Grinch. Don't push it.

And yes, this is a general warning. Put your flame-thowers away, all of you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline northernguy

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 12:00:37 pm »
Best of luck Dan.  I can't imagine anything more stressful than doing debt collection.

Its always an eye opener to see how things work south of the 49th.  It sure makes many things easier when medical coverage is taken out of the equation, and handled by the government!
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 02:43:38 pm »
Wes,

Sure you get more bees with honey, but if the beekeeper doesn't do his job, that honey is never going to make it to my kitchen table.

Ann
(whose first name means Queen Bee)

(Ann is my middle name)

(really)
LOL,

Well, that may be true, but if one goes in to collect that honey raising all kinds of Hell knocking down the bee keeper in the process it's  a strong possibility he's not gona get any honey and may just get stung in the end!

I'm just trying to be rational about the situation and I've made some suggestions.

Sorry for trying to help! 

I just don't see what the giant pity party attitude accomplishes?   Seriously, you think it's in the best interests to file some formal complaint?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 02:51:39 pm »
Yes Austin, sometimes it is valuable to file a complaint.  I've gone over folks heads directly to their supervisor and hey, guess what -- I got immediate results.

People should be held accountable.  These programs are paid with public funds, and they should be doing their jobs.  I find it odd that you see this as some sort of novel concept.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 03:18:37 pm »
If he is not getting the help he believes he deserves then yes. Go to the highest level possible. Pity party? That's a remark I'll just ignore and hopes that Dan and everyone else can too.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 03:45:39 pm »
Yes Austin, sometimes it is valuable to file a complaint.  I've gone over folks heads directly to their supervisor and hey, guess what -- I got immediate results.

People should be held accountable.  These programs are paid with public funds, and they should be doing their jobs.  I find it odd that you see this as some sort of novel concept.

Huh!   Well, I guess I have a different attitude and call it instinct or experience, but I just don't think it's wise to file a complaint while hunting for a job.   The lady may not be the most intelligent or helpful person.  I don't know cause we only have one side of the story.   Regardless, I think it wouldn't be any benefit to waste his energy on this.

Move forward, spend your time productively as you have before and get that dream job you want.   Once you have it then consider complaining about this woman.   Why risk it now?   

Again, I'd recommend seeking out alternative assistance seeking a job whether it be another agency or even another employee there.

Those are my suggestions and I wish you all the luck and success in the world Dan!

Wesley

Offline Basquo

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 04:02:55 pm »
Dan, the way you have described the events, and given the long time of no action, I don't think you have anything to lose by complaining at this point. I do like the idea of honey, though, so personally I would talk to the lady one more time, with as much honey in my voice as possible, and basically complain without implicating her directly.  Maybe ask her, "What kind of plan do you think we should follow for the next week? I really want to find a more suitable job."

If she hadn't called me back within a week, then I'd be forced to resort to backstabbing and leaping over a carcass to get to the next level.  And I just hate to do that, no one likes to resort to that, but they set the system up a certain way and if it involves a complaint process then they'll just have to suck it up and follow through. Pity.  I'm so sad for them already! :'(

And don't let them tell you that HIV excludes you from healthcare.  We both know that's bullshit.  I'd like to see in print where they got that from.

Good luck, my friend!

Creighton
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:52:23 pm by Basquo »

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 04:25:39 pm »
I agree with what Creighton has said here also namely the part about really utilizing your people skills with her.  At least give it another go with her.

Unfortunately, your topic got derailed before, but trying to get back on track.

Have you considered a part time job initially Dan?   I believe you can work up to 20 hours a week and still retain your disability income and medicare coverage.

Perhaps this might be an option as well?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:27:19 pm by AustinWesley »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 06:05:16 pm »
I agree with what Creighton has said here also namely the part about really utilizing your people skills with her.  At least give it another go with her.

You two obviously missed the bit where Dan (repeatedly) told us that he cannot get in contact with this woman. She never returns his calls.

::)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dreamer

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2007, 06:09:56 pm »
896.00 a month and living with your folks......oh dear God where is the justice????

Offline Basquo

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2007, 06:12:08 pm »
I'm just trying to help. What, they don't have voicemail in TN?

Edited to add, I mean talk to her or at her. Then I would proceed as in my previous post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:14:10 pm by Basquo »

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 06:13:22 pm »
You two obviously missed the bit where Dan (repeatedly) told us that he cannot get in contact with this woman. She never returns his calls.

::)

Ann

Does she not have an office?   How bout visiting her in person?

I suggested a number of alternatives instead of beating this dead horse Ann!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »
896.00 a month and living with your folks......oh dear God where is the justice?

Hey Dreamer,

Welcome to the Forums. Maybe you'd like to start your own thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 06:19:14 pm »
Wes,

I'll let you have the last word. You obviously need it more than I do.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Bucko

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 06:23:39 pm »
Does she not have an office?   How bout visiting her in person?

I suggested a number of alternatives instead of beating this dead horse Ann!

Anyone who says this has obviously never spent an entire afternoon sitting outside an AIDS careerist's door only to be turned away for not having an appointment.

Brent
(who is familiar with waiting rooms)

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »
Well, you know what they say when you make assumptions?

So, does the lady in question  also not have an email address?

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2007, 06:29:34 pm »
Maybe they have a job placement program they can help me with, but as far as I know they don't. Sorry for the rant, but this has been going on for a long time & I'm really starting to get tired of the whole mess.  Any advice or input that someone can chime in with would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

You can try the online job sites like moster or yahoo.com   good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2007, 06:30:18 pm »
Wes,

I suggest you drop it, now.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dreamer

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2007, 06:48:03 pm »
matty....you know me, whichway....... and you know i have fought like a mofo to stay alive just to find out i cant meet a 2 dollar copay on some meds.......i'll be go to hell if i will feel sorry for someone drawing 896 and getting medical besides...... throw me out, ban me do what ever.......but i fought to live and nobody but me cares.....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.