Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:04:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: We may never find vaccine for AIDS  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Dachshund

We may never find vaccine for AIDS
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:14:43 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/15/aids.medicalresearch?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Caltech's Nobel winning biologist David Baltimore, who won the prize for his 1975 discovery of an enzyme later proven to be part of HIV's reproductive mechanism, said yesterday that science is no closer to creating an effective vaccine for HIV than they were 25 years ago and that a vaccine may never be found.

edited to add:

oops, I see this topic is posted in research. mods feel free to delete or merge.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 09:19:15 am by Dachshund »

Offline ARMANDO

Re: We may never find vaccine for AIDS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
there is no money in a cure!!!

Offline komnaes

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:58 am »
I have somehow always not expected to see a vaccine in my life time.. with or without HIV. There are still many infectious diseases out there that do not have a 100% proof vaccine. What I hope is to see cheap, non-toxic and effective regiment of meds that can reduce HIV to such a tolerable level that one's life can more or less be assured of total normalcy with manageable side effects. In other words, HIV will become just another "social disease" that can be treated effectively by cheap and readily available meds for everyone.

It's been argued many times, and just to put my position forward - the above, respectfully, is BS..

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:55 pm »
Frankly this has always been one of my operating assumptions, which is why I've always refused to fixate on the subject unlike some folks.

However, I'm quite optimistic in wildly improving treatments now.

And yes, the "no money in a cure" conspiracy theorists are full of BS.

n his address Baltimore also attacked George Bush's record on science. "There has been an attempt to suppress government scientists from speaking out, there has been control of what scientists can go to scientific meetings and give talks - something totally unknown to us in previous years. That kind of attempt to control scientific information will, I hope, end with the Bush administration."

The NERVE of this man!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:14:04 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »
By the end of the 19th century increasing traffic in New York City meant rising figures in horses. That meant an increasing amount of horseshit and scientists of that time seriously predicted that New York would be under a 100 foot shitcover within the next decade. And the result?
A lot of shit, but not on the streats... ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

Rot. By this simplistic logic, there would have been no attraction to curing syphilis, preventing polio by vaccine or eradicating smallpox.

All these things have been done.

MtD

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »
I have never thought that there would be a vaccine or even a cure.  I don't think it is some big conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies or anything wacky like that, but from what I know about HIV, I just don't see it happening.  I have accepted that fact and I am not going to live my life obsessing over it.  I also hope to see treatments that are cheaper and more available to everyone and don't have the major side effects that can happen.  I am greatful that I am not one who has had to deal with that on my regimine and am able to live a pretty normal life and have a normal pregnancy, but I know I am an ideal case and not what is typical.  More people should be able to get that from their regimine and hopefully that can happen in the future.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:42 am »
I have never thought that there would be a vaccine or even a cure.  I don't think it is some big conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies or anything wacky like that, but from what I know about HIV, I just don't see it happening.  I have accepted that fact and I am not going to live my life obsessing over it.

Coffeechick,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that I'm not going to waste whatever time I have left dwelling on it. What good would that do?

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline poz1970

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:53 am »
I learnt years ago, with my first partner... Ignore all the 'news flash', 'miracle cure' stories that the media sensationalize .. wait until it is reported by something credible... slowly I've taught my parter this too... Years ago there was the whole "ozone therapy cures hiv/aids", and many other fads.. so I'll wait for my doctor to tell me about it, and won't get too excited about anything I read :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:33:05 am »
That's a good attitude J,

I do believe once an actual vaccine or cure is found, there will be no avoiding hearing about it from credible sources. It will be everywhere. In the meantime, I’ll just live life as best I can, and not waste any of it wishing upon a star. Otherwise, I might have wasted the nearly two decades since my diagnosis and made life more difficult for nothing.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:42:33 am »
I guess attitude is this: it's too late for me in regards to a vaccine now, so I don't give it much thought. Better treatment sure, I will hold out for that, cure, I am not so sure, so I am not going to hold my breath.

I can't focus on the would of, could of, should of crap, I only have today, and today is what I am living for.

Just my two cents!
Jeromy
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:03:50 am »
Back in the early days, I used to hope for cure, or at least a vaccine.

But that was a long time ago. Now, I don't waste my time or energy on those ideas.

I am just grateful treatments have improved, though I am still curious what the long-term effects of some of them will be.

Basically, I just just take it a day at a time and hope for the best.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 11:09:57 am »
Basically, I just just take it a day at a time and hope for the best.

HUGS,

Mark

That's the only way to do things.  I myself never thought there would be a cure.  I really don't even think about it now.  Just take the meds and keep going.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 03:50:58 pm »
Mark,

Learning that one day – this day – is all anyone can count on was an invaluable lesson for me to learn. I try not to waste any of them on what ifs and whys.

I’m also grateful that treatments have improved, and I'm glad I held off taking the meds I was being encouraged to take back in 1988. I'm in awe that you and others got through and survived those years actually.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 03:54:31 pm »

I’m also grateful that treatments have improved, and I'm glad I held off taking the meds I was being encouraged to take back in 1988. I'm in awe that you and others got through and survived those years actually.

I was just writing a post and saw what Daniel just wrote - and feel it says it best. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:40 pm »
I'm in awe that you and others got through and survived those years actually.

Daniel

Most of us almost didn't (survive).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 06:55:00 am »
And that was and is a tragedy, Betty.

It's also why I am grateful that I refused to go along with the status quo of those days, despite the  objections of my doctors.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.