Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:17:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 659
Total: 659

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A WalkDown Memory Lane, my first 2 yrs being poz  (Read 2494 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
A WalkDown Memory Lane, my first 2 yrs being poz
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:22 pm »
Was doing some cleaning today and found all my HIV stuff from when I was first diagnosed.  Found 30-35 different printouts, from the CDC to The Body to info on local drs, dentists and services available.  Printed those out before my first ID doc appt where he told me not to go on AIDS overload.  I found notes from where I spoke to a couple of different organizations and the huge notebook from the THRIVE workshop I attended in Atlanta.  Found my certification from the state of KY to do pre/post HIV test counseling.  But probably the most intersting thing I uncovered was a notebook with all my lab results and graphs from the first 2 years, but nothing after.  I don't think I lost interest in my lab results, but just became less obsessed about keeping up with the fact my cd4 rose by 35 or dropped by 15.  Just decided that as long as my cd4 stayed at a good level, minus a blip or two and I was undetectable there really isn't a need to review every test or see a graph of the improvement.  After looking at all the info, decided to toss most of it and do some things a little different this year.  No I am not going to start recording and graphing all my test results again.  What I would like to do is become active in an HIV/AIDS organization here in Louisville and do some speaking.  Just hope this doesn't go the way most of my new year's resolutions do!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: A WalkDown Memory Lane, my first 2 yrs being poz
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »
What I would like to do is become active in an HIV/AIDS organization here in Louisville and do some speaking.
Bravo, Woods! Being an HIV speaker is an empowering thing. Plus not only does it help in reducing stigma (putting a face to the virus), but anytime more knowledge can be shared about HIV and HIV prevention, that's a very good thing. Good luck and best wishes on keeping a worthwhile resolution. ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:04:29 am »
I've kept all my labs and the ones from the hospital where I was diagnosed, too.  I see that hospital report where it says I have AIDS.  I have all these notes with tons of questions to ask my doc.  For now, I guess I'll hold on to this stuff.  I kinda wish I would have documented my doc appts on video--mostly because I often forget things we discussed.  But, I thought having all that early education on video would have been good for a youtube video.  When I was first diagnosed, I searched for videos where people went to their doctors, so I would know what to expect and to start learning key terms, labs, etc.  I had a hard time finding anything.  I think it would have helped to see what a doc visit would be like and what to expect. 

Woods, I remain impressed how you and other members do public speaking events about HIV.  I would hope to be able to do that one day.     

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:48:35 am »
Woods, I think you have a great attitude and becoming a speaker is an excellent idea.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:19 am »
I chucked all that stuff too. The doctor has the records he needs.
Bravo if you want to speak!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »
Hey Woods,

In 16 years, I have the phone number of the Clinical Case manager, get information and they take care of the details.  I have been with 4 providers in that same time so, when I move, I request records transfer to new facility w/1 copy for me.  I keep files for those times doctor thinks I need a colonoscopy and I remember a whole medical team up my ass.

Over the years, my volunteer hours were serving as Chair in a small California resort town on the advisory board.  I moved here 6 years ago and heard "we could lose 75% of our funding" so I joined the Commission on AIDS, all the subcommittees and task forces, built and managed a website and served as press agent for the COA.  There were implications made that I would receive a paid position with the county.  Also having been on the funding board, I have learned, you can take on too much because there is a long line of government paid employees who can not say the things they want because being on the payroll, they are government property which can not be used to lobby the government.

The HIV Section Managers, ASO Directors, Commissions on AIDS and most non-profit organizations all need volunteer consumer advocates who will attend meetings, speak to the press and to the public.  Some people talk to the children and educate while others lobby and build press relationships in 5 surrounding counties.  It is all important, I hope you find the right cause and make a difference in your community   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.