Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ALLI weight loss pills  (Read 11309 times)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
ALLI weight loss pills
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:10 pm »
Hey Guys,Has anyone out there tried Alli weight loss pills for lipo?I'm thinking about trying them,any input would be appreciated.  Happy Hollidays !! bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: ALLI weight loss pills
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:01:36 pm »
Hey Bubba,

I have seen the pills at the pharmacy, but never heard of anyone using them.

Before you embark on a trial with that med, I would run it by your doctor to make sure there are no interactions with your ARVs

Let me know if it works, though. That would sure be a coup for those of us dealing with this issue.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »
Hi, Already ran the prospect past my doc,stated no drug interactions,just the side affects of the Alli.I  have to run for a bath room as it is after I take my meds,so what do I have to loose except some tits and neck.I'm starting after the hollidays....will keep you informed,who knows maybe....maybe it will work !! Don't know untill I try.    Happy Hollidays, Bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:51:17 am »
Hi,
Never heard about it so I gooled and from what I read its sort of regulr diet pills ? How can it help with the lipo we suffer ? the fat we accumulate is not "regular" fat gain.. in the belly and in the back .. so can it realy help break these fat cells ??

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:11:32 pm »

so what do I have to loose except some tits and neck.I'm starting after the hollidays....

Bubba,

I really doubt, that  Alli is going to help you.  I've never tried it though.  I've known a couple people that  use it,( for excessive weight issues) but they had to stop taking it. Diahreah, was just too much.

Make sure to keep yourself hydrated. I don't think that I would want to take it.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »
I already have diarrhea,and your right we do have fat cells that can't be lost with any type of normal diet and exercise, I've already had a hump surgically removed,so I know what your saying is true....That's why I'm going to try this TMX.  Unconventional problems call for unconventional actions ,wish me luck.
                                        Happy New Year,Bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:24:28 am »
Hey Bubba,

Happy New Year to you as well!

Just wondering if your hump stayed away after it was removed or did it come back?

My doctor, and two others I talked to about it, say it usually returns even if the cause of the lipohypertrophy, the meds, are no longer a part of the equation.

They said it is believed to be caused by damage to the mitochondria and, once that happens, you are stuck with it.

But I don't know. I have heard of a few people who said it never grew back, at least not right away.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline frankt

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:33:18 pm »
mark,
i have had two lipos on hump. works for awhile. I know its the meds  because at one point in time back in late 90s when i was out of options and there were no drugs for me, i took a one year drug holiday. i lost 65 pounds of lipo fat and was actually at my old weight of 180. After two month of starting back on drugs i gained back 50 pounds,including hump,collar neck,torso sacks of blubber. I get really pissed when Drs or nurses suggest it isnt the meds. I sometimes wonder if the steroid injections back in mid 90s contributed to my problem. What the F were they thinking giving us steroids? Guinea pigs.

On another note I am really worried about gov run health care. the only way for gov to control cost is with controls,whiich of course will create shortages and black markets,but will also be used as excuse to deny expensive treatments to older people like myself(57) with HIV. It will also curtail any new drug or treatment discoveries. I guess I was very lucky to have lived in a golden era of pharma.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:43:51 am »
Hi Mark,I had my hump surgically removed about five years ago and it has never come back.Dr claimed the surgery kills the fat cells.Mine was also very large,hard and fibrous and could not lipoed.What I have now however is very blubbery fat around my neck and under my arms,and lots of it ! Since my doc says the Alli isn't harmfull,I'm going to give it a try after the holidays.By the way,I too was on massive doses of steroids in the early 90's .
                                                Everybody keep all your chins up,(I have about three or four !!)
                                                           Best Wishes to all,Bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.