Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Government is going to close (looks like)  (Read 28962 times)

Offline mikeyb39

Government is going to close (looks like)
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »
I get so sick of all this mess, this happens about every 6 months it seems we go thru this.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Government is going to close (looks like)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:44:43 am »

Where's all those crocadile tears from Boehner, knowing that he is responsible for shutting the govt down, and causing hardships on the American people.

Or maybe, he hasn't had enough scotch yet, to get into his crying jag,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDyt_qCCiTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmlKCtvRet8

Ray
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:56:30 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:22:04 am »
I hope the voters punish the republicans next year.  Elections have consequences, and that is something they don't get.  The president got healthcare passed.  He was reelected.  The Supreme Court upheld the law.  Many government workers are living paycheck to paycheck, like most.  It appears soldiers will still continue to get paid, after some legislation?? 

We are in the process of refinancing our FHA home loan.  I have read this will effect new loans, but not sure about refinancing.  This will just be a tiny, tiny pain for us.  But, many will suffer.

And, the debt ceiling is coming up.  Will they once again cause us to lose more of our credit rating?  Rachel Maddow did a segment on this.  She played audio and showed letters Reagan wrote to republicans about how irresponsible it is to play with the economy and our credit, with going to the wire with not raising the debt ceiling. 

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/53118951/

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20:35 am »
Jon Stewart was good tonight, as usual.  Tonight's clips aren't up yet.  However, he played this clip from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  It sounds like the president is telling repubs this. 

http://youtu.be/ymPpIzaanhY

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:37 am »
A year, unfortunately, is a long enough time for the guilty parties to spin themselves as heroes. And our uneducated, complacent, and ignorant voting population will believe them.

Sorry for the cynicism.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:27:49 am »
I don't know about the time heals everything argument.  I mean the idea that the obstructionists are going to "spin" their way back to favorable ratings.  I think there are plenty of people of voters who RIGHT NOW consider them heros.  I think they themselves also genuinely believe they are doing something heroic. 
Its just I sit way on the other side.  And moderates also don't like these shenanigans.  I think how people view the GOP obstructionists and fantasy dwellers, today, isn't going to change much.  Well, at least I hope so.
The problem is with gerrymandered districts, perhaps the GOP obstructionists can be reelected because their odd little (minority) world view, nevertheless controls the district. ???  Or tell me thats not true.  It worries me...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:50:10 am »
The House Repubs have NOTHING TO FEAR FROM VOTERS.  They are, for the most part, in nice, safe, comfy districts where the voters are cheering.  Unfortunately this is the shit you get when you let politicians pick their voters instead of the other way around.  I read 2 Letters to the Editor in my paper this morning cheering on Eric Cantor and wishing their were more like him in Congress.   :o
Now, Senators have far more to fear, which is why they have far fewer members in support of the House's insatiable drive to kill Obamacare.  How any state, even Texas, could have voted in the likes of Ted Cruz is beyond me.
Normally, I find a crisis like this as having people on each side involved, but in this one -- it is all the foolish far right republicans and the ball-less Boehner who refuses to put them down, because he knows it would be the end of his Speakership.  There are enough moderate Republicans in the House that could band with the Dems and open the government back up.
My biggest fear -- the debt ceiling debacle that is fast approaching.  That has the potential to bring the world economy back to 2008.  I fear it is all hopeless at this point.

M

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:20:22 am »
Americans are stupid

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:45 am »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:00:36 am »
 >:(  -_-
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:38 am »
yawn.

Wait till the debt ceiling debacle hits us in 16 days.

To quote my Gran-Gran.. "youz aint seen nuthin yet"
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »
yawn.

Wait till the debt ceiling debacle hits us in 16 days.

To quote my Gran-Gran.. "youz aint seen nuthin yet"

This actually does scare the shit out of me........  I fear we are in for a horrible fall/winter -- I just hope it doesn't turn into a multi-year economic nightmare.
Gerrymandering has taken so much power away from the people that only a few politicians really require the consent of reasonable Americans to govern. In fact, for US Reps to maintain their office, many/most must now pander to the far right or far left.  So few elections matter once the primaries are over.
Somehow we must find a way to stop politicians from choosing their voters -- we need the Judicial branch to step in and stop the insanity of gerrymandering (which despite how it is currently slanted to the Repubs favor in the US House, is a Democrat animal).

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 10:16:55 pm »
Every cloud has a silver lining.

KKK Rally At Gettysburg Canceled Because Of Government Shutdown

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/kkk-rally-canceled_n_4024192.html?ncid=txtlnkushpmg00000037

A Ku Klux Klan rally planned for Saturday, Oct. 5 has been canceled because of the government shutdown.

On Sept. 26, officials at Gettysburg National Military Park granted a special-use permit for a rally to a Maryland-based KKK group. According to NBC 10 Philadelphia, the event was canceled when park officials rescinded all permits for special events because of the shutdown, which began 12 a.m. ET on Tuesday. ...

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:59 pm »
This actually does scare the shit out of me........  I fear we are in for a horrible fall/winter -- I just hope it doesn't turn into a multi-year economic nightmare.
Gerrymandering has taken so much power away from the people that only a few politicians really require the consent of reasonable Americans to govern. In fact, for US Reps to maintain their office, many/most must now pander to the far right or far left.  So few elections matter once the primaries are over.
Somehow we must find a way to stop politicians from choosing their voters -- we need the Judicial branch to step in and stop the insanity of gerrymandering (which despite how it is currently slanted to the Repubs favor in the US House, is a Democrat animal).

Mike

This is a great article that illustrates your point.  Dems had 1.1 million more votes, thus winning the popular vote in the House, but repubs kept control.  Dems engage in this, too, but not nearly as successfully. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/us/politics/redistricting-helped-republicans-hold-onto-congress.html?pagewanted=all

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »
Unfortunately this is the shit you get when you let politicians pick their voters instead of the other way around.

THIS.

This a gazillion times. First thing these monsters did was redraw their districts to make sure they got the re-election locked down.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 05:47:39 pm »
STUPID GOVERNMENT!!!!!!

That's the only thing I have to say. 

@Miss P--does our stupid government not wanting to do their job have any effect on the MAUDE thingy that I have for my meds?

Mchelle  8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »
This has very serious consequences.  James Clapper, Director of National Intellegence, testified that 70% of intellegence agents have been furloughed.  He said this puts us at great risk.  The FBI has sent home half their employees, which they say will make it more difficult to track threats.  The CDC is not tracking things like food poisoning, with less than a third on the job.  I hope they are tracking more serious illnesses.  The FDA is not testing food.  WIC is shutting down, deemed as non-essential.  Head Start is shutting down. 

The one that hit me the most is the NIH has furloughed 73% of their staff.  NBC News says that means 200 patients a week are being turned away for last-resort medical treatments, including 30 children-- most of them cancer patients.  If that is true, that is unforgivable. 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:48:26 am »
STUPID GOVERNMENT!!!!!!

That's the only thing I have to say. 

The Reign Of Morons Is Here

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Shutdown_Blues

We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up to the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07:13 am »
weez tiz ?

Yes a government by the people has only the people to blame when it fails. 

The Reign Of Morons Is Here

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Shutdown_Blues

We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up to the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 10:01:15 am »
I wish that they would enact legislation making it treason for member's of congress to spin the facts in such a way it becomes a lie .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 10:04:05 am »

Once a week I go to the "we the people"  site, to check out current petitions.

Well Damn, ....   :

http://www.whitehouse.gov/we-the-people-temporarily-disabled

Ray  >:(
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 01:54:24 pm »
Adding one more thing to my earlier list-- the TSB will not investigate the deadly bus crash in TN from Tuesday.  After all the charter bus crashes recently, they need investigated.  Surely, if there was a plane crash, they would investigate that?

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »
The BBC interviewed a Banker from Chase Manhattan who had met with the dissenting Republican's. His conclusion was they had no idea off the consequences for the US and therefore the worlds economy. He was calm and sober but was clearly shocked at how little these people understood fiance.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:37 pm »
The grants world is slowing down a bit too...

The website where we submit our National Science Foundation (NSF) grants is down:
https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/

This may impact submission dates and will also delay payments to those organizations that currently have open grants.... No money coming in could quickly cause some smaller organizations to have cash flow issues (translation: layoffs, suspension of services, etc.)

We have already been bitten by delays in release of funding oppotunity applications due to continuing resolutions and cutbacks in funding due to sequestration....

At the end of the year, when the bottom line begins to shrink, many organizations, including mine, will have to look for ways to cut costs even more and do even more with less (this means students will have less access to college, employees may be laid off - including in our department, and employers who are already saying that they don't have the skilled workers needed to fill some positions will have even less of those skilled workers).... and these are just the more pronounced effects....

In the long run, the long-term (and even short-term cost) of shutting down the government to try to get rid of Obamacare or cut spending, is going to cost the government several times more than what it would have cost to pass a clean bill and fund those programs that help avoid or diminish much more significant downstream costs.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 03:32:26 pm »

This congressman from Texas, needs to get his head examined.

This congressman tries to get the park ranger to apologize, for the shutdown, when he voted for the shutdown.  Insanity I tell ya,..

http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-makes-park-ranger-apologize-for-shutdow-1440577868

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
My senators were caught on a hot mic discussing strategy. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/rand-paul-mitch-mcconnell-hot-mic_n_4036591.html

Offline mitch777

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:31 pm »

This congressman tries to get the park ranger to apologize, for the shutdown, when he voted for the shutdown.  Insanity I tell ya,..

http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-makes-park-ranger-apologize-for-shutdow-1440577868

Ray

I saw that too and was trying to come up with of an analogy based on the thinking process of a 5 year old kid. Sorry, couldn't do it. A 5 year old makes more sense.

Edited to add:
Is your congressman smarter than a 5 year old?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:26:27 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »
There is a hidden message in this weather report.  Can you find it?  If you already saw this, let's see who can find it.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »
There is a hidden message in this weather report.  Can you find it?  If you already saw this, let's see who can find it.

I dont know, but for some reason I get horny when I read it.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
Is your congressman smarter than a 5 year old?

We all know who my congressman is..........  No, no he is not!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 06:04:45 am »

Look at the far left column of first letters, in the words.  They spell out "PLEASE PAY US."
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 06:56:26 am »

@Miss P--does our stupid government not wanting to do their job have any effect on the MAUDE thingy that I have for my meds?

Mchelle  8)

It's called M.A.W.D. (Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities) and it's a state run program, not federal. So the answer would be no.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:46 am »
By the way, this is what happens when there's an alcoholic as Speaker of the House:

The overarching problem for the man at the center of the budget fight, say allies and opponents, is that he and his leadership team have no real idea how to resolve the fiscal showdown.

They are only trying to survive another day, Republican strategists say, hoping to maintain unity as long as possible so that when the Republican position collapses, they can capitulate on two issues at once — financing the government and raising the debt ceiling — and head off any internal party backlash.

Everything else is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

But read the entire article as it's a real hoot.

Also, cocks

PS: ONLY EIGHT MORE HOURS UNTIL WE CAN WATCH DONATELLA SNORT COKE!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:56:51 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 06:58:51 pm »

Look at the far left column of first letters, in the words.  They spell out "PLEASE PAY US."

Ding, ding, ding!  Vanna, tell her what she's won.  Wait, she only flips letters and rarely speaks. 

I thought that was pretty clever.  I heard the Washington Post first figured it out, but I think they must have been tipped off, if true.  Who goes looking for hidden messages in weather reports? 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:45 pm »
Brian is at the firefighter memorial in Maryland this weekend.  Due to the shutdown, they had to hold the ceremony offsite, because the memorial is on federal land.  That's unfortunate.  They did allow the families of the fallen to go to the actual memorial site, but no one else.  That was good for the families, as they are the most important ones.  But, the firefighters also want to go to the site, especially those who worked with the fallen. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »
Gawker led me to a NYT article tracing the shutdown through the Koch Brothers agenda to the source, Citizens United.  Which allowed.....

200 Million in Koch funding last year to block Affordable Care Act. Months of planning for this shut down leading to a "tool kit" issued to legislators, for how it will work, in September. 

This is some horror show of puppets performing government, at the moment, but the shutdown may have been the plan for months..  Can't make this shit up, but you'd like to think this isn't happening...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/a-federal-budget-crisis-months-in-the-planning.html?pagewanted=1&hp&_r=0

A defunding “tool kit” created in early September included talking points for the question, “What happens when you shut down the government and you are blamed for it?” The suggested answer was the one House Republicans give today: “We are simply calling to fund the entire government except for the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare.”

The current budget brinkmanship is just the latest development in a well-financed, broad-based assault on the health law, Mr. Obama’s signature legislative initiative. Groups like Tea Party Patriots, Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks are all immersed in the fight, as is Club for Growth, a business-backed nonprofit organization. Some, like Generation Opportunity and Young Americans for Liberty, both aimed at young adults, are upstarts. Heritage Action is new, too, founded in 2010 to advance the policy prescriptions of its sister group, the Heritage Foundation.

The billionaire Koch brothers, Charles and David, have been deeply involved with financing the overall effort. A group linked to the Kochs, Freedom Partners Chamber of Commerce, disbursed more than $200 million last year to nonprofit organizations involved in the fight. Included was $5 million to Generation Opportunity, which created a buzz last month with an Internet advertisement showing a menacing Uncle Sam figure popping up between a woman’s legs during a gynecological exam.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »
This is being called the saddest photo of the shutdown.  People not getting paid is pretty sad. 

Polls are showing repubs are taking a big hit.  53% blame them, which is higher than under Clinton.  Repubs have 27% favorability now.  47% to 39% say Dems should control Congress.  That is a big change.  70% say repubs are doing this for political reasons, and that included many registered repubs.  These are from the NBC/WSJ poll.  Many say this won't hurt tea-party repubs, but I'm hearing many other repubs are worried it will hurt their reelections. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 05:57:00 pm »
A taser would get him to step back .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 06:55:06 pm »
A taser would get him to step back .

lmao!!

Alert! Alert! Code-2 on the fence! prepare to fire
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 07:23:07 pm »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:25:40 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:55 pm »
The House repubs changed the rules on who can call for an end of the shutdown.  Not sure whether it is "creepy," though. 

http://www.upworthy.com/congress-did-something-so-spectacularly-creepy-that-its-too-unbelievable-to-make-up?c=ufb1

Offline GoForIt

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »
They are creeps for quietly passing that measure that said only Eric Cantor can call for the shutdown to end right before they had the shutdown.  This way any congress person who actually gets some sense to call for a vote can't anymore....in a nation based on democracy that is a pretty creepy move.
08/09/2013  Diagnosed WB positive
08/20/2013  CD4-506(28%)  VL-10,800
09/12/2013  CD4-391(28%)  VL-14,900
09/17/2013  Start ART (Truvada + Tivicay)
10/11/2013  CD4-377(26%)  VL-UD
12/20/2013  CD4-590(??%)  VL-UD
03/18/2014  CD4-660(29%)  VL-UD
07/22/2014  CD4-613(29%)  VL-UD
08/01/2014   Start Phase 3 TAF (Truvada 2.0) Clinical Trial (TAF + Tivicay)
10/09/2014  CD4-498(29.5%) VL-UD
11/06/2014  CD4-600(30.2%) VL-UD
01/30/2015  CD4-529(31.3%) VL-UD
07/25/2015  CD4-742(36.5%) VL-UD
10/06/2015  CD4-765(28.9%) VL-UD
01/05/2016  CD4-907(33.1%) VL-UD
03/24/2016  CD4-770(33.5%) VL-UD
06/20/2016  CD4-850(35.4%) VL-UD

Dr. Mark Wainberg on Dolutegravir:
Video 1: https://youtu.be/wCXOgLJqJAY
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DKiaD7fHO-s

Offline J.R.E.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:16:48 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
Maybe I'm a sap, but I find it hard to believe that Sarah Palin, with all her faults, is stupid enough to march on the White House with a gang of racists carrying Confederate Flags...   Well finally the blog post seems to be talking about two different events.  Its sloppy as hell writing....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:11:43 pm by mecch »

Offline J.R.E.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 07:43:41 pm »
Gee I find myself oddly defending Sarah Palin...  The Washington Post article is a bit clearer.  But I can read. It was 2 different sites, and only some of the same participants. 

Those flags and what went on at the White House is horrific.  I just hope no former or present elected officials were standing there amid the flags participating...

The War Memorial "Freedom" rat fuck was just another dumbass bombastic idiocy.  Weekly partisan routine.  The White House protest seems really bottom feeder, a gross harbinger of American decline...

Offline J.R.E.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »
I'm confused by some of the reporting.  I have been hearing a large number of veterans were upset that Cruz and Palin turned it into a political rally against the president.  I didn't see any interviews of veterans saying that-- just reports of that. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 01:08:00 am »
A lot of people are spinning a lot of information and throwing rumours and lies into the soup. 

Also make a point to note - is the "reporting" actually by a reporter/journalist? Or a blogger? Or a pundit? 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 07:47:54 am »
A lot of people are spinning a lot of information and throwing rumours and lies into the soup. 

Heavens no --- the media would NEVER do anything like that (except for Fox News of course).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.