Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:18:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 580
Total: 581

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cocaine and HIV  (Read 4039 times)

Offline justfoundout

cocaine and HIV
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:55:50 pm »
i know that i shouldn't be any drugs- but this weekend i binged on booze and cocaine- i just tested positive a little over a week ago and i had my first meeting with the infectious diseases doctor where he gave me the VL and T cell counts- will partying one weekend greatly affect my VL and T cell counts?  should i be worried?

Offline fearless

Re: cocaine and HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:32:18 pm »
hey there,
Sorry that you had to get the news. It's never much fun.
There was interesting thread on this very topic just recently. I've linked it here: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4011.0

I realise this must be a very stressfull time for you, but everything will be OK. If you have not already done so, perhaps you should check out the lessons section (there's a button at the top left hand corner of this page).
Try not to stress too much. Stress is no good for immune system. Whilst I don't want to condone anything, I will not condemn going out and having a bit of fun either - sit at home and stress or go out and have some fun, momentarily forgetting about it. I know which I'd choose. Just don't let things get out of control.

Little Steve
(eidted to add the correct link, thanks em)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:04:39 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 09:13:52 pm »
Hello Justfoundout,

Cocaine appears to interact directly with HIV to dramatically increase viral load and lower CD4+ counts, according to in vivo studies using a hybrid human-murine model, reported in The Journal of Infectious Diseases for March 1.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/news/20020214scie003.html

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time.

In the interim,eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:11:59 pm »
i know that i shouldn't be any drugs- but this weekend i binged on booze and cocaine- i just tested positive a little over a week ago and i had my first meeting with the infectious diseases doctor where he gave me the VL and T cell counts- will partying one weekend greatly affect my VL and T cell counts?  should i be worried?

Just~~

Welcome to the forums! Let me just say, I know you are in shock about your results and you prolly wanted to blow of a lil steam but don't make a habit of binging. I'm not going to sit here and tell you shame on you. When I found out I smoked blunt after blunt. But the hiv was still there and is gonna still be there whether you continue to party excessively or not. You've already taken the first step and had a visit with your id doc. After awhile the shock will wear off and you will realize it's not end of your life but a new beginning or so I like to think. And like the others said, this is a great place to collect info, vent, ask questions or whatever. There are some knowledgeable people here. Good Luck.... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 11:18:57 pm »
I don't think one weekend will have much effect. I doubt it will dramatically do anything to your viral load or CD4 count. If we were talking long term abuse then you might have something to worry about. You have enough on your plate now to worry about one lost weekend. Heck, half the people here did the exact same thing you did when we tested positive...some of our benders lasted for years and we are still here and kicking.

Let me add a warm welcome, please let us know when you get your test results. Your reaction was normal, so don't let it get you down.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:32:30 am »
welcome to the Aidsmed forum. You have found a cool place with lots of people who care!
Positive since 1985

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 05:28:18 am »
Another welcome to the forum! When you said: 'i know that i shouldn't be any drugs- but this weekend i binged on booze and cocaine- i just tested positive a little over a week ago and i had my first meeting with the infectious diseases doctor where he gave me the VL and T cell counts- will partying one weekend greatly affect my VL and T cell counts?  should i be worried?'

I would agree that 'one weekend' is not a problem in general, but: 1) While alcohol is generally available, cocaine is not, so if you really mean that you spent another weekend bingeing on booze and cocaine, this is a problem which you might seek help with now.  Everyone has the right to respond to life and what life throws at them, but these chemicals are not going to help your longterm health.  2) I am guessing that you have not yet received prescriptions for hiv medications?  I hope that this is the case, because there is no point in starting a drug regimen until you have the drug/alchohol issue under control.  Missing doses because you have missed time awareness is one of the fastest way to allow hiv to work around what should otherwise control it.  You really can't take hiv medications and take holidays (as studies have now shown). 

So please allow us to help out as much as we can here and try to find resources where you still need them.  Best, Win

Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
Nothing.  I just felt like doing a 'bump' of cocaine.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:12:49 pm »
Before I finally got tested in late 1989 (I believe I was infected in late 1982 but that's another story) I went through a 2 year period of heavy cocaine use and even after I tested poz was a heavy drinker (AKA alcoholic) until late 1994.  I have no idea what my numbers were like pre-1990 but even with a severe drinking problem I coasted along with CD4s in the 500 - 600 range until late 2001.  Up until a few months ago I smoked pot daily (and if it didn't make me feel crummy I would still) but have no idea how my immune system was affected. 

Occasional use of drugs isn't going to harm you in the long run but chronic, heavy use of alcohol, coke, meth, etc. will definitely take a toll (unless you're one of those rare, lucky bastards who does everything possible to kill yourself and still ends up as healthy as a horse, but I wouldn't take my chances if I were you).

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:45 pm »
Welcome to AM!

I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis... that first week was rough for me, too. 

Regarding the blow... to be perfectly honest, I did a lot of coke a few months after I was diagnosed (we're talking like a three to four times a week for a number of months until I almost got evicted from my apartment habit)... and I wouldn't recommend it.  At all. 

A weekend isn't anything to worry about, but my doc was shocked that I didn't damage my immune system a lot more than I did... I was extremely lucky.

Please please please... I'm begging you... don't turn to blow right now... it always turns on you... I know, because like an idiot, I did.       
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Gilles

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 02:46:33 pm »
Don't worry one week of cocaine over-take....when I was diagnosed I took stupid amount of drugs (not that you should)...its usually when you take it systematically that can cause a concern

Offline Gilles

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:48:22 pm »
actually a correction of error....it is not going to cause "a concern"...you should just be more concerned....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.