Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:15:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Black Dog  (Read 18703 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Black Dog
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:51:55 am »
I has a visitor!  Last night, a little stray black dog showed up at my place...and he's stayed the night.  Well, not exactly "little".  He's clearly still puppy-ish at heart, but looks to be about 2 years old maybe.  A black lab mix.  He slept on the porch right outside my window.  I can see him right now.  He's only about three feet away - on the other side of the window pane looking in on me.  I imagine he's wondering when I'm coming back outside to play.

Oh, yes...I've already been wallowing around with the dog this morning.  8)

He's got collars (one regular and one flea), but no name tags affixed.  He's been well fed and his coat is good.  He's in great shape and obviously very friendly.  I'll have to try to figure out who he belongs to, I suppose.   Though it is possible someone may have "dumped" him off somewhere around here.  Guess we'll find out directly.

Though at the moment neither of us seem in too much of a hurry for him to go anywhere.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

Re: Black Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:55:10 am »
Maybe Santa left you an early present?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:56:18 am »
Maybe Santa left you an early present?

Don't think it hasn't already crossed my mind.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:02:14 am »
We had a black chow/lab mix at one point in our lives.  She was a whopping 120lbs and lived inside our small 1-bedroom townhouse during our college years.  She lasted through 3 kids then ran away.  She was a giant puppy - never did grow up.  Does the collar have a rabies tag / registration tag on it?  If it does, you can call the Humane Society or your local vet and give them the number.  They can trace the owners that way.  If it traces back to a North Pole address, then Merry Christmas to you!

mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:31 am »
No, Mum...no tags whatsoever.  It's possible the dog might have one of those scannable inplants...but very unlikely up here in the hills where I live.  I'll check around and see if I can find the owners, but meantime I am enjoying the company.   :)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:21:38 am »
He sounds like a sweetheart!  Shelby looked like a chow, but acted like a lab. She was short and hairy with the bear looking face.  She had a curly tail and the purple chow tongue.  She's the dog who broke dh's pinky toe on the door jamb. She was a jumper and a licker.  She was a good wallow-buddy and great for keeping warm.  We've thought about getting another dog for the kids, but it would have to be small and hypoallergenic.  My parents just got a chinese crested.  She's ugly as sin, but a sweetie.  They named her Ginger.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:42:24 am »
Keep him!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:25 am »
We've thought about getting another dog for the kids, but it would have to be small and hypoallergenic. 

I think Dan J could help you out.

Dan J.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:02 am »

I think Dan J could help you out.

Yep, I can. My little doggies don't shed.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:40:55 am »
Hunter, I told the service to ring your bell when they dropped him off.
Andy Velez

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:12 am »
If you can't find his owner, then KEEP him. Seems like it was meant to be anyway.   Cristy

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:48 am »
I think he might be a gift from heaven. I say enjoy the company of your new friend and take it all in. Nothing better than the company of mans best friend, espcecially when we need good company. Perhaps he sensed you needed each other.
Peter

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 11:13:32 am »
keep him! keep him! keep him! keep him! keep him! keep him!

YAY for dogs! :)

bry

ps keep him

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 11:15:46 am »
Somewhere, a young child cries out for his lost dog... meanwhile a bunch of diseased individuals on the internet advocate screwing up his/her life.

Color me shocked.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bryonut

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:30 am »
Life is hard.. the child should learn early.

;D

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:42 am »
Somewhere, a young child cries out for his lost dog... meanwhile a bunch of diseased individuals on the internet advocate screwing up his/her life.

Color me shocked.

Get over it Philly, you're becoming the gay Grinch of the forums. Jesus, can YOU possibly be more ridiculous. Hopefully, it is just another one of your weak attempts at humor. Somewhere a young hustler cries out for payment...meanwhile one diseased queen on the internet screwed up his life.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 11:38:16 am »
Up your lithium dear.  It was clearly kindasorta a joke.  Whether or not you appreciate my form of humour matters little to me actually.  And that Grinch comment could clearly be a kettle/black type of thing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 12:05:27 pm »
Dagnabbit.  A stray dog shows up on my porch, and all the barking and biting ends up coming from you two.    ::)

He's still right out there on the porch.  Just got back in from seeing him again.  I sat on the steps and he nuzzled his way under one arm, across the lap, and then under the other arm...for a complete body embrace.  He clearly likes me...a lot. 

He is SUCH a sweetpea!  A great, big, fat cuddle bug. 

Given the woodsy area I live in, he could very well be the "next door neighbor's" and I wouldn't know it.  It's unlikely that he belongs to any particularly small kids, because there aren't many that young in the immediate area (there are a few perhaps 12-15 in age).  Still, dogs can cover some serious territory up here in the hills, so the best thing for me to do is call around to some of the immediate neighbors and then stick up a flyer or two about him and see if there is a response.

If not....well, I may have just been adopted.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 12:07:20 pm »
ah the dog sounds really cute. I want a dog now. Unfortuantely with my schedule it would difficult to have a dog right now. Have fun with him while you can before the owner shows up   :)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 12:09:36 pm »
It's not me, it's the gay Grinch Philly that kindasorta ruins everything. Have you thought of a name for your new baby?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 12:14:31 pm »
It's not me, it's the gay Grinch Philly that ruins everything kindasorta. Have you thought of a name for your new baby?

Well, both of you:  HEEL !

;D

I'm in a great mood today thanks to my visitor.  And I've been steering away from naming (or feeding) just yet.  I'm gonna have to give him some grub in a little while, but the name thing can wait.  I'm enjoying but keeping the attachment to a minimum for right now. 

Boy, he's sweet though.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:25:23 pm »
If he was dumped, it's unlikely his former keepers cared enough to inplant a chip, but you could take him to a vet to check for that, I think they do it for free.  Also, a lot of people call the vet when they lose a pet.  So if he's not chipped, and the vet hasn't gotten a call, get him his rabies shot, get him a new collar and bowls and get him back to his new home!

Dan J.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 12:58:55 pm »
Timmy if you find his owner & you don't end up keeping the big fur baby I have a cute little black puppy that I will be more than happy to give to you.  If you want one let me know. Maybe I can get Aunty D to ride with me to deliver him to you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 01:37:31 pm »
Timmy if you find his owner & you don't end up keeping the big fur baby I have a cute little black puppy that I will be more than happy to give to you.  If you want one let me know. Maybe I can get Aunty D to ride with me to deliver him to you.

Do it Timmy do it. You need a puppy.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 07:28:34 pm »
Thunter Bunny---

I can understand you not wanting to get too attached. Gosh, we remember the Ellen thing... ;D But at least feed the poor thing and bring him in the house. Do your flyers and such but if no one claims him then I'd say he is yours. If someone does claim him then they will be grateful for looking out for their pet. Then you can get a pup of your own from Dan....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mjmel

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:03 pm »
Young Preacher Tim, it's a gift. Manna from heaven. Now give it a nice bath, some chow, and snug up all nice -n- cuddly tonite.
 ;D
Mike

Offline jason304

• There is so much more to me than my status.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 pm »
People and things come into our lives when we need them the most.... Sometimes not always clear, but agree take care of your new friend and do what you can to see if you can find the owner that way you have a clear conscience that you aren't keeping a little kid from his/her beloved pet.  If you never find the owner, you have a great furry thing to play with (that doesn't sound good oh well )

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:47 pm »
Aw, Tim, a present from the unkown.   Keep him and give him a name! 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:44 pm »
Well....I just returned home, and:  still here.

He's currently sloshing down some water outside.  This dog appears to have been an outside dog (no big suprise up here), and I'm keeping it that way for now.  He's perma-parked on the front porch right outside my window.  Sitting here on the bed with the laptop, he is about 3 feet away on the other side of the window.  I can see him.  He can see me. 

Boy howdy, he's got a big ol' bark.  Puppy or not, he's a biggun'.

I confess that I did not do very much in the way of finding the lost owners today.  I mostly just enjoyed him being here.  Anytime I had to leave, he never strayed.  Was right there in the same spot when I got back. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings.   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 12:38:39 am »
He doesn't disappear at any point since you have had him? Then it's pretty much settled, he's claimed you... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline poz1970

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:01 am »
Sounds like you've been adopted out :-)

Enjoy the cuddles and company!!

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline allanq

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 01:17:52 am »
Timmy,

This is all so cute! It sounds like one of those Hallmark Christmas specials.

Good luck with your sweet new friend.

Allan

Offline komnaes

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 01:44:18 am »
PHOTOS PLEASE! ;)
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline bryonut

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 01:58:21 am »
I agree with the rest of the gang... he found you.

keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him, keep him!!!

My sweet lab started off as an indoor dog but that lasted about a day. I couldn't bear to see him outside. He moved in day two and never stayed outside for the next 11 years. :)  Man I miss him.

keep him!

;D
bry

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 08:15:18 am »
Timmy,

This is all so cute! It sounds like one of those Hallmark Christmas specials.

Well...my Hallmark Moment sures eats a lot.  Yep - he's still here this morning, flipping an empty bowl around in his paws as if to say, "What's for breakfast?"   We got through the night with only one major bark episode.  I'm sure he was barking at the deer.  Guess we won't be seeing them in the yard anymore.

Still having coffee and waking up.  Gotta figure out what to serve for breakfast this morning.  This whole thing caught me off guard, so pups got people food yesterday.  I've got to run to the store for some dog food today. 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 08:30:00 am »
Gotta figure out what to serve for breakfast this morning.   

I'm sure you could whip up a mess of possum, I hear the hollers are full of em this time of the year.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 08:41:55 am »
I guess you are adopted, sweet Tim!

You know, when I saw the title of this thread (Black Dog) I was expecting to see the words to the Led Zepplin song. :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:26 am »
So what you going to name him???

I always said if I had another dog I'd name him "Damit"  ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:40 am »
Tim,

It does seem that the dog has adopted YOU !  Hope it works out so that you can keep him.

hugs,

Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 08:35:47 pm »
Will you PLEASE let that sweet face dog in the house already?  I mean MAN!  Snuggling on the couch is WAY better than on the porch! (Said by someone who has done both and prefers that later)
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Basquo

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:29 pm »
I think you should name him Sweeney Todd. Sweeney for short. Sweeney Darling for affection.

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 09:38:21 pm »
No, Mum...no tags whatsoever.  It's possible the dog might have one of those scannable inplants...but very unlikely up here in the hills where I live.  I'll check around and see if I can find the owners, but meantime I am enjoying the company.   :)

Dude... quick trip to almost any vet (or SPCA) can do a quick scan.  My dog has an implant causes she always manages to lose the tags.  At least get a scan before you get too attached.  I would hope anyone that found my girl would do it.   Karma baby... karma!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »
I guess you are adopted, sweet Tim!

You know, when I saw the title of this thread (Black Dog) I was expecting to see the words to the Led Zepplin song. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_h586Ep9M

heehee me too Bettytacy  ( one of my favorites by the way)

Sorry Mr. Tim , in no way  by no means trying to hijack your thread   ;D

Sharky
(who is curled up with his too furry babies)

Offline Pilot

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 12:57:25 am »
LOL,

Well I will admit that I thought this might be about a brand of beer.  But since its about a lost friend, then I can only concur with the rest of the folks.  Try to find the owner or owners if you can but if not then dont worry about it.  Better that you get adopted than "Baku"...just in case you like the name...it means killer in one of the African dialects.....gets left out in the cold and is hungry and lost.  Or worse yet, winds up in some place to sells dogs for experiements.....

He should thank his lucky star that he found you .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 11:55:43 am »
any updates on the dog?
if you cant find the owners and you keep him, will you let him in the house or will he be an outside dog?

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 05:09:35 pm »
Any Updates on your new baby? ??? ??? ??? ???
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 09:01:08 pm »
OK, Tim, we're all waiting to hear what's going on with the doggie! 

Offline next2u

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 09:35:19 pm »
yeah tim, whats up with the baby?
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 11:43:06 pm »
Either Thunter Bunny has gotten eaten by the dog or maybe someone has come claimed the pup after Thunter Bunny got attached, which would suck. Or on the bright side, Thunter Bunny and pup may be cruising for some booty..... ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline mjmel

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 06:00:49 am »
we're still waiting for news of happy tails, Pastor Tim.
being it's near christmas, Tim is likely caroling all around town with Black Dog.

:)
Mike M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.