Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:49:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 232
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Bio-Hazard Freak Boy"  (Read 10584 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
"Bio-Hazard Freak Boy"
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:14:28 am »
This was my day yesterday (Friday).

It was time for my six week blood draw and checkup.  This time, my doctors staff came to Aspen to do the work.  This is so very nice of them to drive up from Denver to do this.  I put them up in the hotel I work at and its just something nice I can do for them for coming so far.   So, I hug Amy goodbye and wish her well on her big bike race she is having this week.  She gives me my "labs" so I can walk them across the street and give them to FedEx to overnight them to the diagnostic lab.   So, here I am standing in line at the FedEx store (I have done this a few times).  The box is marked in pretty small letters (bio-hazard dry ice BLA BLA BLA).  I get through the line with a few stares and give it to the clerk.  She says to me "I cannot except this because of its contents, but you can go out and give it to a delivery truck in Aspen, their on their way into town right now.".   My mind is saying "WHAT THE FUCK?".   I walk out of the FedEx store sorta not knowing what to say.   

Soooo I have this box the size of a small TV set under my arm starting to look around the streets of Aspen for a FedEx truck...  A half hour of walking goes by.   I decide to go into the grocery store and buy a pack of cigs.  I set my bio-hazard up on the counter top to get my wallet, the young lady at the check out stand scans my cigs AND my Bio-Box.... I was curious if the register would say "Eric's HIV labs" on this display, but it didnt.   Of course she says "whoops, this must by yours." And being a bit pissed off I say "Yeah it definitely is mine, blood and all!".....  I continue to walk around town getting some strange looks for whatever reason.  Maybe it was me..  I looked all over the box for the SKULL and CROSSBONES.   But I found none....   Then, I walked to the bank to make a deposit.  No problems here..  Finally 2 hours later, I find a FedEx truck parked making deliveries.  So I just sat on the side of the truck on its steps waiting for the driver to return.  A half hour later, he comes back with a biggy sized Starbucks coffee in his hands and I asked him "Help, can you please take my package?".  He said, sure, but did you know our FedEx store is just around the corner?".  I said "yeah, I was their 2 hours ago and was told NO NO NO.   He laughed and said, "sure you could".  I will explain it to her when I pick up all the shipments from her later today.  The driver asked for what was in the box and I told him, "My blood work for HIV".  He said, no problem and wrote "Diagnostics" on the side and off he went with my labs.    Jesus...  Did I feel a bit strange..

Then finally - I am walking home from work with my "new supply" of meds from Amy from this mornings workup.   Just a plain brown lunch bag and I look all around at everyone else with the Gucci bags, prada etc and I have this silly plain brown paper lunch bag full of drugs that will help me "stick around awhile."  I think my bag was worth more than all the bags in Aspen yesterday.... But next time, I will bring an old Gucci bag from home so I "FIT IN".    ;)

ps.. I own nothing Gucci, I just have the bag.... lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:48:35 am by Eric »

Offline bear60

Re: "Bio-Hazard Freak Boy"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:28:04 am »
Oh Eric...... Aint life grand.  Loved the story and can totally relate.  I have known HIV poz guy to get the biohazard symbol tattoed on himself.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »
The driver asked for what was in the box and I told him, "My blood work for HIV". 

Wow, you're so open   :o  That driver seems real nice. God bless people like that  8)

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:18:08 pm »
I am glad the Fed-Ex guy was good to ya.  I felt like a walking bio-hazzard last week when I went to the ER for my appendix.  I also had one time when I went to a dentist in Austin TX I saw the chart.  It was marked in red big letters HIV and the part of the form where I told them I was HIV poz was highlighted in Pink.  Go figure!  Don't change who you are HIV is only a small part of the total you.
Chin up!
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 12:49:18 pm »
Wow. So, what kind of idiot is this person at the FedEx store?  It makes no sense that the package contents prevent her from accepting the it but it is ok to hand it directly to the driver. I'm glad you found the driver. 

You are a good story-teller, good writer.  I enjoyed the humor you maintained in a frustrating situation.

Steve
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 02:47:32 pm »
It seems funny today, but it was "like" walking around in limbo land yesterday with this "box"...   I looked at the address and was wondering if I was going to have to take to CA myself and all sorts of weird thougths..  Oh well, just chalk it up to "new territory" for me....

Love ;D

Offline Duude

• VANS Warped Tour Kicked ASS
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 10:34:18 pm »
Hi Eric,
    That was very interesting reading, you did well in telling it.  :) 
duude

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:03:42 am »
I read this story with interest. I know FedEx take these samples, but we have special pickup so I don't know if it is their policy to not accept dry ice packages at their stores. My advice to you is to call the FedEx helpline and explain your story to them. It is quite possible that this woman was in violation of their policy. I don't know that for sure, I would check with them. If they DO accept dry ice packages that are correctly packed and marked (with amount of dry ice) then get the policy number. If they tell you that story again and make you hand it to the driver, you should quote their policy, take the persons name and complain to FedEx AND tell the clerk that you are going to do that.

Be prudent and check with FedEx about their store policy. There are strict guidelines for dry ice, I know that much.

Let us know what you find.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:12:45 am »
The moral of this story... Just have your labs drawn at the docs office even when its a 200 mile drive. lol ;D

I will call  them prior to ever arranging such a drama ever again for sure.  Thanks for your reply...

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 07:10:31 am »
I would have told her that it was a  1) Human Heart 2) a brain or 3) a frozen Embryo     but then again Im a bit of a smartass at times. Something doesnt sound right with her not accepting the package. I smell Rodentia. Fed Ex is a pretty professional company, surely your docs have sent samples with them before.. Id definitely make a call.
Fed Ex Drivers seem to be some of the most universally cool people on the planet, I suppose that after awhile they 'see it all' just like street cops, ER docs and Elementary school teachers.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
But why, oh why, are the UPS guys hotter? (Cliched, I know.) Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 07:07:22 pm »
jay, if you'd only peddle on up here to toronto, I'd show you a kind of hot that doesn't rely on a uniform, if you catch my drift.

andrew

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 07:21:12 pm »
Hey Eric---- Denver here well actually S.E. Aurora by Cherry Creek Reservoir if u know where that is.  It's cool that your doc made a house call.  From some of the things I have read on here and thru my very very very limited experience dealing with this I think we are pretty lucky 2 be in Colorado.  It seems like we have a lot of services and outlets that other places don't.
Anyway just wanted 2 say hello 2 my neighbor in the mountains

Take Care and Hugz
Jason

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 07:37:09 pm »
Lwood I like the "Human Brain" idea along with my Windex bottle and syringe hanging off my trousers....

Jason - We may need to say hello in person sometime.  We have a small apartment in Cheesman Capital Hill area and I know Denver very well... 

Ill stick with My FedEx guy... He was a hottie... ;D

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 07:43:10 pm »
Just moved out here from caphill about 5 years ago...Let me know next time your coming 2 town maybe we can get together and do lunch or something

Jason

Offline ademas

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 08:17:14 am »
...maybe we can get together and do lunch or something

I have such a dirty mind.
*sigh*

(I loved your story, Eric.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.