Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:54:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 232
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: fatigued, will starting meds help  (Read 9107 times)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
fatigued, will starting meds help
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:12:46 pm »
hi,
I have been POZ for about 4-5 years have always had a relatively low CD4 and viral load - but both fairly stable.  CD4; 360-460 no trend either way, VL; 8-15k.  Lately I been feeling very tired, but otherwise no HIV events or illnesses.  All blood work doesn't indicate anthing wrong  (i.e. no anemia, no Hep, etc.)  Free testosterone was low so now I'm on androgel.  Still very tired.  My question is should I start meds even though I don't "need" them based on HHS guidelines.  Have any of you, who might have been suffering from fatigue, seen a noticeable difference after staring meds?  Any input would be appreciated.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline libvet

Re: fatigued, will starting meds help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:19:38 pm »
Not necessarily.

If there is no physical cause that can be found, you could be depressed.

Lord knows, having HIV is a hard burden to bear and a constant source of worry and stress.

One of the major symptoms of depression is fatigue.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm on antidepresssants and have been ever since I was diagnosed.

Michael

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:04:23 pm »
thanks for your reply Michael.  I forgot to add that I am on antidepressants and have been long before my HIV.  So I am familiar with the effects of depression, unfortunately.  This somehow feels different though.  Seems much more physical than emotional.  It is true that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 02:57:11 am »
Could be, when I started meds I felt more energetic than I had in years....
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline libvet

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:51:51 am »
Could be, when I started meds I felt more energetic than I had in years....

That's true.  Of course I started meds after a long bout with esophageal candiasis, weight loss, and pneumonia, so resolving those might have helped too.

But now that you mention it, I could see where having a much lower viral load could take some of the stress on your immune system constantly trying to keep HIV in check.   It's not conscious work, but your body is fighting an infection.

Michael

Offline jerek

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:00:07 pm »
;)  i am with you libvet.  i started meds after i had a bout of pneumocystis & cmv retinitis.  so after just a few weeks of treatment i was feeling like a new man.  i think that over time even though your numbers are good the stress that hiv can carry on your body slowly tears you apart. the stress of just having hiv, the stress of not knowing where your numbers could lead, the stress of worrying about everything can be causing your fatigue as well.  i would definitely talk to your doctor & see what they have to say about all of the factors.

peace
jerek

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:45:50 pm »
Sometimes exercise helps me combat fatigue...

Bests,
Drew

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:18:19 pm »
Gonna chime in here that starting meds gave me back a level of energy that I have not had in more than 2 years.  It is like I used to have two jobs, one of which was fighting HIV without assistance, and now with the meds, that job is handled as long as I adhere to the med schedule.

Energy, appetite, better outlook...  I got a whole lot of quality of life back from starting meds, and I hope you do too, bman.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 03:33:46 pm »
fatigued, will starting meds help 

generally yes, but improvement might not be as immediate as one would like. every case is different of course
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:24:18 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:40:01 pm »
I started meds n 5 days later I was bouncing round like Tigger.  My viral load was 181,000 or sommat like that. I did feel tired before I started, indeed that was the defining symptom.  Not really ill, kinda physically 50%, like a half-charged battery.

- matt

Now playing: Damien Rice, The Animals Were Gone
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 06:21:14 pm »
Bman,

I responded to you in this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=5883.0

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 10:56:29 pm »
thanks guys I appreciate your feedback.
It's really good to hear that some of you have experienced a relief from your fatigue.  It gives me hope

Bertrand Russell

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 01:06:31 pm »
i had real bad fatigue before starting Atripla in july and i am still fatigued if not more. it is different feeling on treatment i dont feel ill from the hiv i feel toxic and fatigued from the meds.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 10:42:50 am »
i had real bad fatigue before starting Atripla in july and i am still fatigued if not more. it is different feeling on treatment i dont feel ill from the hiv i feel toxic and fatigued from the meds.

sorry to hear ... what does the doctor say about it? do you drink lots of coffee with sugar?

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 11:39:04 am »
I went five years from discovering I was positive until my CD4 count crashed into the low 200's.  Viral count was always in the 15-25K range.  I started my meds on Thanksgiving and almost finishing up my third week.  For me, I have more energy now then i have in a long time plus I feel a major burden off my shoulders meaning WHEN was I going to start the meds and how was I going to react to them.

Your body is diverting lots of energy to keep status quo so it's extremely likely the fatigue is being brought on by HIV.  it could also be stress at work (or home) or a variety of other things.  You know your situation and should discuss it with the doc who can advise you on the next steps.

Good luck.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline tmsdallas

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:18 pm »
My fatigue got much worse after starting meds.  I also am taking Androgel.  It helped some but not much.  I tried acupuncture, you name it.  I finally found an Applied kinesiologist that has helped me tremendously with all natural supplements.

Offline koi1

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »
Hey,
I have seen a moderate boost in energy since I started meds 5 days ago. However my nausea, diarrhea, and my low apetite have all gotten much better. For me personally, I would have started meds if my cd4 count fell below 350. The HIV has ravaged my digestive system, and the drugs to treat the PCP have damaged my liver. My body with the help of the meds is fighting to repair needless damage that occurred because I did not treat my HIV on time because of denial.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline antibody

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 07:18:26 pm »
sorry to hear ... what does the doctor say about it? do you drink lots of coffee with sugar?
  I switched to green tea and it made on difference on my energy level or sleep patterns.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21:25 am »
Fatigue can be caused by a variety of things and yes, HIV itself can cause fatigue.  I had a much lower CD4 count than you when I started meds but a lower viral load before I started meds and I had severe fatigue--to the point where I barely could work and go to school and would go to my car between classes to take naps and then sleep after classes were over (luckily I never have been someone who needs to study to get good grades).  I even took naps before I went to bed for the night.  I also previously had bouts with CMV and shingles, so my body had fatigue from fighting off various illnesses in additon to HIV.  The feeling crappy also led to me not feeling like eating, so I think there was a nutrition component as well.  Anyway when I finally started meds, the difference was really between night and day.  I was amazed at how much energy I got.  I could interact with people, go out, date, and had energy to exercise, so for me, when I got on meds I improved greatly.  Though, I also improved enough to gain a little too much weight as my elbow disease came back where everytime my elbow bends, my mouth flies open.  Now, of course this may not happen to everyone.  Some meds can worsen fatigue.  Also your fatigue can have a different cause.  I just happen to be on a good regimine that I tolerate very well and rebounded very well, to triple my count.  Not everyone is so lucky, though.  So your question is difficult to say either way. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline antibody

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »
i think the Sustiva component is what causes the most fatigue. i know about not feeling well and not being able to eat. i eat much better now and i am on Androgel to help combat the fatigue. i get a minimum of 8 hours sleep and i dont sleep late. i try to nap during the day but usually cant fall asleep  but will lay there and rest a few minutes to recoup. anyways it's like the saying "some days are better than others".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:43:46 pm by antibody »
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:35 am »
Not necessarily.

If there is no physical cause that can be found, you could be depressed.

Lord knows, having HIV is a hard burden to bear and a constant source of worry and stress.

One of the major symptoms of depression is fatigue.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm on antidepresssants and have been ever since I was diagnosed.

Michael

I was ready to beat my doctor the other day for claiming the fatigue is all in my head and saying it's depression.   I know for a fact I am not the same as I was.  I've been sleeping or should I say hibernating.  I get exhausted easily and what not.  I'm going on 10 months since diag. and   I'm not on meds yet, but I can't help but logically think this is the HIV.   I had a surgery in October to correct a deviated septum so I could breath better and that didn't even help.   I breath just fine and wanted to have that done before I was on any meds to avoid any extra complications.   

The only thing I have noticed that has helped with fatigue is that selenium stuff.  Been on it for bout a week and a half and have noticed improved energy.

But, I'm gona bitch slap the next person who tells me I'm depressed ;)   I'm actually fed up with this doctor and dumping her. 

Thanks to all you guys for posting your replies.  I was looking for answers on this.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.