Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:23:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 217
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should I get a Shingles Vaccine?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline RobbyR

Should I get a Shingles Vaccine?
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:15 pm »
Just wondering if there is in fact a shingles vaccine, and if so, should I get it? I had a mild case of chicken pox as a child, and two years ago, out of the blue, I got extremely ill with what I thought was a bad ear infection or flu, but come to find out, after suffering for two weeks, and finally went to the ER, they told me I had shingles in my ear! I had been misdiagnosed by two doctors as having an ear infection! But I actually had been suffering from shingles! I had sores in my ear (hence why I thought it was an ear problem), and on my upper scalp and one on my face. Luckily, the ER doctor said I caught it in time and it was a fairly mild case of shingles, so I wasn't scarred or anything. I had a terribly high fever and felt just awful. I actually think I felt worse with shingles than I did when I had the flu a few years earlier! The ER doc gave me Acyclovir which made me feel much better. After being on it a few days, I felt fine again, although still pretty tired.

It was a bad experience, and took me a few weeks to recover. I still can't believe those idiot doctors didn't know the sores in my ear were actually shingles. Maybe because at that time the sores hadn't yet spread to my face or scalp, but seems like they should have considered the possibility. What I'm wondering is, can I get shingles again? Or once you get it, that's it? If I can get it again, should I ask for a vaccine, if there is one? My viral load is undetectable, but it was when I got shingles so I don't think my immune system had anything to do with me getting it before.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:49:57 pm by RobbyR »
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

Re: Should I get a Shingles Vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:17 pm »
There is a shingles vaccine.  I think I have read it offers about 50% protection.  And, I have read over at The Body (shhh) that the docs think it is perfectly safe for poz folks. 

We were out bowling over the weekend with family and friends for my partners's bday.  We were doing all the high fives.  Then, we learned his brother has an active case of shingles.  Obviously, he has a very mild case to feel up to bowling.  He pulled up his shirt to show the sores.  Of course, I had to immediately google a refresher to remind myself whether it is contagious or not. 

The info was as I thought.  There was some conflicting info.  Most sites said that it is not contagious, unless you've never had chicken pox.  In that case, you would get the chicken pox and not shingles.  But, some sites said people with compromised immune systems and pregnant women should be careful, especially if sores haven't stabbed over. 

Anyway, there is a vaccine. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:32 am »

What I'm wondering is, can I get shingles again?

Yes, you can get it again. (And again, and again, and again.)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:50:42 am »
I talked to my doctor about getting the vaccine, although his comment was that it was only recommended (and insurance would only cover it) for those over 60 years of age.  He did say I could pay cash ($200) for it.

While I haven't had shingles yet, by what I have read I really don't want to get them either - so I think I am going to pay the $200 and get the vaccine.

Also - I find some contradictory info on whether pozies should get it.  My doc is more than willing to give it to me, although the CDC indicates that anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't.

http://tinyurl.com/CDC-Shingles-Recs

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:46 pm »
I asked my ID doc and he said no vaccine for me.
I also have read conflicting stories and would NOT like to experience shingles.
Is it that the likelyhood of getting shingles from the vaccine is far greater for us poz folks?
Am tempted to take the risk if the odds good.
hmmm.....
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »
From the CDC; 

Who Should NOT Get the Vaccine

Some people should NOT get shingles vaccine.

1:  A person who has ever had a life-threatening or severe allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or any other component of shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.

2:  A person who has a weakened immune system because of
HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system.

3:  Treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as steroids,
cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy.

4:  Cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma.

5:  Women who are or might be pregnant

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »
One thing I hate about the CDC is the lack of documentation.

Why is the shingles vaccine not recommended? And why, if it is not, is there controversy about that? What science is available that supports a positive person getting it? And under what circumstances?

CDC tends to aggregate information with a serious lack of footnoting. Thus, obsolete and even information later found to be incorrect tends to be tossed into the salad.

See: Open mouthed kissing and HIV, for example.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

I had  shingles a few times in the early 80's

Was not pleased   :o

It has been  almost 30 since the last outbreak  . I hope I never get
them again , But I will NOT  get the vaccine  as my I.D. Doctor does not think
it is a good idea  .  Sounds Ok to me  . I'm thinking over 8 years on MEDS I am
doing good , no need to mess with my system .

Weasel

P.S.   Shingles is annoying , but I guess i never had the painful type ?
        The little blisters bugged the shit out of me for weeks   :'(
" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:34 pm »

2:  A person who has a weakened immune system because of
HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system.

But what if you immune system isn't (on paper) actually weak? Does this statement just apply to those patients with a cd4 count below a certain threshold? This is unclear to me.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »
But what if you immune system isn't (on paper) actually weak? Does this statement just apply to those patients with a cd4 count below a certain threshold? This is unclear to me.
that ^ is what I was wondering.
seems to me if your viral load is UD and your CD4 count is "reasonably" good (at what level??), one could prevent shingles.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »
It is my understanding that if you NEVER had chicken pox, then you won't need a Shingles Vaccine, @ least that's the way I always understood this, I've never had them before, hence no need for the vaccine, unless I'm wrong, and this is now outdated info  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:08 pm »

Without doing a bunch of research, I believe there are recommended thresholds.  I believe the following to be true.  It's not really recommended for anyone under 50, regardless of their HIV status.  There is debate amongst professionals if it should be 60.  It is recommended for HIV positive people over 50 (over 60 according to some) as LONG as their CD4's are over 200.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.