Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: YOUR face on the cover of POZ magazine.  (Read 37411 times)

Offline SteveA

Re: YOUR face on the cover of POZ magazine.
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:27 pm »
Steve, nobody is being rude.  Not showing ones face in a POZ feature story only serves to feed into stigma.  Do you REALLY want that?  It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Philly, for what it's worth I never said anyone was being rude but they are coming down on him pretty hard considering all that's going on don't you think? Look at it from his perspective. It's a sort of blackmail in that they won't publish his story unless he does what they want him to do, irregardless of how it might affect him and his job. Just how helpful is that. How journalistic is it?

Do we have to trample the privacy of one person for the good of breaking the stigma of HIV? Does that REALLY serve our community? The guy needs his story told so that possibly, just maybe, someone who knows how to help him out will see his story and reach out and help him. I'd also go so far as to say there might be others in his same situation who might need to hear his story so they can come together to fight the same fight together. I don't discount that the stigma of HIV needs to be broken, but we need to choose our battles here with not just shrewd tactics and wisdom but also with some heart.

Just my opinion and thanks for not dismissing it out of hand.

Offline pozmnguy

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 12:18:38 am »
Pozhealthy,

Well I certainly don't mean to offend you, but I think its extremely important to put a face to the article.  I would jump at the chance, and for as much damage it could do to my career I know the positive would far outway that damage.  I plan on doing anything I can to change the stigma of this damn virus! 

I do acknowledge your choice to not want to use your photo, but can't support any boycott.

Best of luck with your situation.

Jim
3/08   Diagnosed
4/08  CD4  34           VL     537,000   Started Atripla
5/08  CD4 144    8%  VL        1,010
9/08  CD4 141    8%  VL            60

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:46 am »

Ok, since you have nothing to hide and are telling POZ mag to bring it on, then call them and have them bring it. I think that since you have been around for 20 years that you must be doing something right to stay alive and healthy and that you should share this secret with the rest of us. So call them and have them do a story and we will look for you on the cover. I cannot wait.

My story isn't any different than the many other millions of Poz people all over the world, so, if they think I have something to say, I'm sure they would, but, enough about me, let's discuss YOU.....

Are you gonna go to your local ASO, and get the help you need with your MEDS?
I don't know what State you live in, but, in most of them, even if you make 45 to 50K a yr. and you cannot afford to pay for your meds, for whatever reason, you can get some help.......PLEASE try and do that, you really need your meds, they will keep you alive, well, and healthy for a very long time..............do it ASAP, and don't delay  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:23:23 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 01:12:13 am »
I could tell that the story was gonna be killed after I told them no photo so I also used a fake name.

And how come do you still complain?. Lying is not a way to defend truth.

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:02 am »

I am on a forbearance myself for over a hundred thousand dollars in student loans. And in a year? I have no idea what I will do, though I am sorely tempted to follow advice philly gave in another thread, in another forum.

Read this:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22877.0

My student loans were just discharged (for total and permanent disability), so I'd like to report on how the process works.  There are several steps.

First is the application, which you get from your lender.  Your doctor must state that you are currently unable to work due to your medical condition (careful, because the application seems to say something different).  You submit the application, and the Dept. of Education makes a separate determination whether your condition is permanent.  HIV, due to its nature, is permanent.

If DOE decides that your condition qualifies, they grant a conditional discharge.  Then there is a 3-year period when you cannot earn more than $13,000/yr from work (earned income).  That is the condition.

If at the end of the 3-year period you have met the condition, they grant a final discharge, and return any payments you made after your date of disability onset (the day your doctor says you became too sick to work).

During the 3-year period, the status of your loans remains the same as it was the day you became "disabled,"  meaning if your loans were current your credit report reflects that, and if you were in default, the report says "in default" until you get the final discharge.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline joemutt

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:17 am »
It might be important to put a face with an article but it s unprofessional from the magazine to wait until so long into the preparing of the article to make sure the subject understood that and was comfortable with that. And no, I wouldn t put my face on any magazine because I would be uncomfortable with that and that would be my choice.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:19:51 am by joemutt »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:06 am »
I don't think this has a bit to do with the need as some suggest for pozhealthy to become the next POZ magazine covergirl. If you take a bit of time to read the guy's posting history, it's evident to see he's being crushed emotionally and physically by catastrophic debt. Jesus folks, the guy hasn't been able to afford his meds in two years. Discharging a student loan is next to impossible and his stress is palpable whenever he posts. How tragic that he would even have to consider risking a life threatening OI in order to make this go away. He might have to risk death to clear up a bad debt? Fuck me running.

So really, is it necessary to chastise the guy because he called for a boycot, or that for whatever reason, he doesn't feel comfortable plastering his puss on the cover? Too many are missing the big picture by focusing on the inconsequential. The consequences of AIDS, as so many of us know results in financial ruin and a life of poverty. Pozhealthy is living it, and I for one hope he finds a solution that doesn't require PCP or Histoplasmosis.

One other thing before I forget. People with a dubious posting history of not always telling the truth and revealing their own problems when it comes to HIV, should resist calling others liar.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:12:43 am by Dachshund »

Offline edfu

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 07:11:11 am »
As a charter subscriber to POZ from its very first issue, April/May 1994, it is news to me that the PRIMARY purpose of the magazine was to fight the stigma of HIV.  That claim, made by several in the above posts, is categorically false.  I quote from the opening statement of that first issue, made by Sean Strub--founder, publisher, and executive editor:

"Hope and despair.  Excitement and depression.  Greed and generosity.  Anger and gratitude.  Fear and courage.  That about sums up AIDS, doesn't it?  But it is not that black and white.  The fight against AIDS has been made of thousands of small steps forward and thousands of small steps backward.  POZ intends to be one of the steps forward, to provide a better understanding of the disease and its impact on our society. 

"POZ will cover AIDS from the eyes of everyone affected by the disease, including families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and caregivers of persons who are HIV-positive.  Anyone impacted by AIDS will benefit from POZ.

"Through POZ we hope to shed light on the politics, people, and practical issues involved with AIDS and, in the process, help people with AIDS to lead longer and healthier lives.  In my view, for a newly diagnosed person with AIDS, information is a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer."   

"Information" seems to me to be the primary purpose of POZ.  Or it was.  Of course, fighting stigma is one of many purposes, as outlined in the charter statement of purpose.  And photographs are nice.  But this guy has an extremely important story to tell, one not previously documented in its particulars, and certainly one that might help PWA's "lead longer and healthier lives"--especially if they can't get medications.  If it weren't an important story, the current regime at POZ would not have pursued it.  To deny publishing this information because of the lack of a photograph is scandalous and contrary to the founding principles of the magazine.  How does this absurd editorial decision "help people with AIDS lead longer and healthier lives"?   When did POZ decide, like a "People" magazine, that there is no story without a picture?  When did information no longer become "a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer"--or photograph?

This situation is beyond tragic. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:25 am »

Juan Carlos
i did not ly to them, i just told them to use an alias for my name as well. if they were not going to print my story i felt there was no reason to use my real name.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:55 am »
i did not ly to them, i just told them to use an alias for my name as well. if they were not going to print my story i felt there was no reason to use my real name.

Pozhealthy, I'm a bit surprised at Juan Carlos' lack of empathy about your situation. I can recall him complaining about his own impoverished conditions because of HIV on many occasion. If you feel that he needs an explanation, so be it. Hopefully people can be a little bit more understanding (me included) and I wish you well.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:55 am »
I don't always (often? ;)) agree with Hal, but I'm with him 100% here.  It's easy for us to say this guy should allow his pic to be used, but would we really allow it?  Remember, POZ magazine is in his place of employment.  Perhaps a better solution would have been for his story to be printed in part of the magazine without a pic... sort of like second or third page on a news paper.  Maybe a darkened silhouette type of thing would have worked, you know, like the ones that are used on crime shows with real victims.  It adds the realism of a live person without giving away the individual's identity.  Not being willing to out oneself doesn't diminish the value of the story.  In fact, I think it exemplifies the power that stigma has over many of us much more than adding to that stigma.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
To me it is quite simple.  Poz Magazine wants to do articles on HIV+ individuals and feature their picture.  Pozhealthy wants to share his story but doesn't want to use his actual name or have a picture featured.  
We can agree or disagree with the reasoning each uses to reach their decision, however it is obvious that in this situation they are not a good fit.  I don't agree with a boycott, but the OP should be commended for wanting to use his experiences to help others and hopefully he will find an avenue that is more suitable to his situation.

As to the question posed it is probably one I will never have to answer as there isn't much newsworthy about my life, unless they want to do a story about a gay, HIV+, Baptist Deacon.... :)
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:11 am »
If POZ magazine doesn't want to tell the stories of people who don't want their picture I think it is their loss. Pozhealthy, have you thought about writing your story and submitting it to Newsweek for their "My Turn" column? They have about 2.6 million readers as compared to POZ 100,000. With the economy the way it is I think it would be timely. There are so many places you could tell your story. Don't get discouraged by one decline.

Offline denb45

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:47 am »

Now that sounds a bit interesting, does the entire congregation know you're Gay & POZ+ are have you told any of them, (not tryin to put you on the spot here).............however kinda sounds interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:25:44 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:29 am »
After reading your post I assume that you are most comfortable hiding behind an assumed screen name "pozhealthy" and as some of us like me behind whatever avatar we choose as our picture.  Does this make you feel safer from afar? That only you can answer. It does take a lot of courage to step out front and be seen as a real person living with HIV.  Whether in magazines, newspapers, books, Tv where ever.  It's a choice, and not always an easy one to be able to be honest with the world viewers.  If you choose to remain anonymous then so be it.  My personal take on a boycott of POZ magazine is again hiding in the shadows. If it was not for the courage of the people whom allow their picture to grace the covers, our lives, living with HIV, may not be as good as they are today.  How could we as a group of people living with HIV get our stories told and put a face with the story.  The world has a unique perception of how people look that live and have HIV.  When the few whom allow their stories to be told and place a picture on the cover, the world can see we are not any different as anyone else.

When you boycott POZ, you are not just boycotting a magazine, you are boycotting people who have HIV/AIDS and have a personal story to share. Who are you hurting the most, POZ (which is free to some of us) or the people living to tell their story with a face.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »
As a charter subscriber to POZ from its very first issue, April/May 1994, it is news to me that the PRIMARY purpose of the magazine was to fight the stigma of HIV.  That claim, made by several in the above posts, is categorically false.  I quote from the opening statement of that first issue, made by Sean Strub--founder, publisher, and executive editor:

"Hope and despair.  Excitement and depression.  Greed and generosity.  Anger and gratitude.  Fear and courage.  That about sums up AIDS, doesn't it?  But it is not that black and white.  The fight against AIDS has been made of thousands of small steps forward and thousands of small steps backward.  POZ intends to be one of the steps forward, to provide a better understanding of the disease and its impact on our society. 

"POZ will cover AIDS from the eyes of everyone affected by the disease, including families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and caregivers of persons who are HIV-positive.  Anyone impacted by AIDS will benefit from POZ.

"Through POZ we hope to shed light on the politics, people, and practical issues involved with AIDS and, in the process, help people with AIDS to lead longer and healthier lives.  In my view, for a newly diagnosed person with AIDS, information is a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer."   

"Information" seems to me to be the primary purpose of POZ.  Or it was.  Of course, fighting stigma is one of many purposes, as outlined in the charter statement of purpose.  And photographs are nice.  But this guy has an extremely important story to tell, one not previously documented in its particulars, and certainly one that might help PWA's "lead longer and healthier lives"--especially if they can't get medications.  If it weren't an important story, the current regime at POZ would not have pursued it.  To deny publishing this information because of the lack of a photograph is scandalous and contrary to the founding principles of the magazine.  How does this absurd editorial decision "help people with AIDS lead longer and healthier lives"?   When did POZ decide, like a "People" magazine, that there is no story without a picture?  When did information no longer become "a more important first step than any pill, potion, or prayer"--or photograph?

This situation is beyond tragic. 

Thank you Edfu for mentioning this. Sometimes people and organizations need to be reminded of what their original stated purposes were. It is tragic that their focus seems to have narrowed to such a small portion of those of us affected by not sharing the news of those of us who may or may not wish or be able to be on the cover of their magazine.

I think too many here are focusing on his call for a boycott when the greater issue at hand is his situation. We've all been in similar positions and I've seen many here lash out in similar fashions when they're stressed and hurting over something they can't grasp hold of. I find it comforting to see that some here are finally stepping back and noticing the big picture.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:11 pm »
newbernswiss... makes a good point as well as everyone who contributed to this subject.

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:52 pm »
i think both parties expressed their rights so no one should be complaining.  Poz had the right not to publish and you had the right not to have your photo shown. 

If this is all about a picture i will happily put my face on your story if you want me to so that it will be published.
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
I agreed to do a story for the Newspaper, and I was a nervous wreck. It went on page one, above the fold!

It cost me bigtime, but I figure the only way we will break the stigma that goes with HIV, is that if we all do something in the press, TV  etc. The more people see that each person with HIV is a person just like everyone else.  And I would hope that we all do something to help the effort. It's a huge mountain to climb, but we can do it-together.

The best way to do this is to put a face with the story. I'm sorry you chose not to do it. But I respect your choice. I hope you respect my choice of not boycotting the magizine.
Positive since 1985

Offline denb45

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:40 pm »
I agreed to do a story for the Newspaper, and I was a nervous wreck. It went on page one, above the fold!

It cost me bigtime,

How did this cost you? did you loose your home, job, self-respect? were you run-outta-town, tarred and feathered? were your car windows or home broken out and set-on-fire?... Would you care to elaborate more on that?  did this cause you even more Stigma by doing this??
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:10:56 pm by denb45 »

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:33 pm »
In Manchester, UK 

our local support organisation The George House Trust  has a statement

HIV = No Blame, No Shame

i dont blame anyone apart from me, for my hiv status.

and i certainly do not have any shame about my hiv status

i am openley positive and would not have a problem or issue putting my face on the cover of poz mag

or my story

x
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »

Juan Carlos
And by the way, don't call me a liar as you have done here. I did not lie. I don't understand all your hostility towords me. You do not know enough about the situation and even if you did you have no right to call me a liar.

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:19 am »
It cost me bigtime, but I figure the only way we will break the stigma that goes with HIV, is that if we all do something in the press, TV  etc. The more people see that each person with HIV is a person just like everyone else.  And I would hope that we all do something to help the effort. It's a huge mountain to climb, but we can do it-together.

Jeffery,

I'll second the question asked prior, what did it cost you? I was featured several times in the local Denver paper, had an article run in the company newsletter (Distributed in US, Germany, and several other countries) and have done on line interviews thepositiveproject.org
None of the publicity has cost me a thing. Actually it's been a positive experience on all fronts. I don't have to worry about disclosure, nor do i give a damm, my status is as out there as I want it to be. In my world it boiled down to I was not going to allow anyone's attitude or perceptions rule my life. I don't see myself as either courageous or trailblazing. Rather I merely choose to live free of fear regarding outside perceptions. The morning the first article ran I was scared sh*tless. But when I opened the paper and saw my picture it was a moment of empowerment without compare in my life. I no longer hid a significant part of me. I was who I was, I am what I am. I was freed from the fear of self stigmatization. I didn't then, and I still don't need or want the worlds acceptance and validation. I merely did what I had to do in order to feel as though I live strong and free.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:45 am »
Den 45 & Denver Toad,

I believe Jeffrey lost his job.  I'm certain he will clarify when he has a chance to respond, though may I suggest that every individual has their own measure of what "cost" is?

Not every cost is easily measurable or definable.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »
Would you allow it? I work in healthcare and we have copies of the magazine in the hosptial. POZ magazine interviewed me at length for a story regarding my large student loan debt after being forced to leave dental school and how this has effected my life since 1991. They were VERY interested until the very end when they wanted to set up a time to photograph me for the magazine.  I told them I was very uncomfortable with this and that it should not matter that my face be a part of the story. After that is was like a cold shoulder. Phone calls and emails unanswered.
I finally emailed Regan Hofman the editor who explained to me "we do not do long  feature stories about people whose faces we can't show..."
What difference does it make. I am wonder what would you do?
i chose not to show mine and lost the story
so,i no longer read poz magazine, i am boycotting it and urge you to do the same.
thanks

I'm going to throw my two cents in here because it seems that you made an assumption that was simply incorrect. That said (and as Peter noted) boycotting Poz or any other HIV-related publication whose editorial policies - right or wrong - are aimed at helping all of us, makes little sense. We're all in this together. 
Your name here  X_______________

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »
For those of you who think a story isn't a story with out pictures.......check out the cover of and story within of Mpower plus magazine summer/fall issue 2008.  Does the interview even mention HIV or AIDS???Could you please explain how this helps erase the stigma of aids? Here we see an example of a face and nearly naked very hot man with no real story and in my case a real story without a face. For one poster on here, the story with all the pictures is more real to him. The story without pics would aparently  be not believable
One post said we are all in this together but it sure does not feel like it at times. I have read all the posts--good and bad---and in most cases responded to the person personally rather that post on here to generate more discussion because there are stories within stories now within this post and some points got lost and misinterpreted.
I never claimed to be brave. I never wanted my picture on the cover or even in the magazine. POZ magazine did not even  mention this until the very end of the interview which was done via the telephone. They have no idea what I look like.
My intent was to find out if I am the only HIV positive person who is deeply in debt from student loans and if there were specifically any people out there with dental school loans. It was also to fully explain how this has impacted my life since my diagnosis and many other issues.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:39 am »
... I never wanted my picture on the cover or even in the magazine....

Perhaps not, but you did want "your story" in print. Best wishes with your loans,

David
Your name here  X_______________

Offline denb45

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2008, 10:07:19 am »
Perhaps not, but you did want "your story" in print. Best wishes with your loans,

David

If I was a Very RICH investor, I'd pay-off all of his loans, and use that as a Tax write-off  ;) that's just one of the many good deeds I'd do ,before I Die  ;D ...but heres the thing that really bugs me, that dental school took his money, kicked him to the curb ( for whatever reason) and didn't provide him with what he was paying for, as a result of this, leaving him in debt maybe for the rest of his natural Life, somethiing just doesn't seem right about that to me ??? so, yeah it's a great story, and I do hope that it get's HEARD someday  ??? such a sad tragic thing to happen to ANYONE  ??? the more I see and talk about this, the more ANGERY I BECOME  >:(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:21:48 am by denb45 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
I've read this thread a few times over the last few days and wanted to add my opinion on the situation, but first wanted to add a sort of related, and yet unrelated, idea.

The way we all communicate, and tell our stories, has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, and my hunch is that this change is partly (and perhaps subconsciously) a factor in this specific case.

AIDSmeds.com offers a good example of this. Previously to connect with others who share our concerns and issues we've had to seek them out in face-to-face settings where one, by nature of the setting (being physically there and unable to speak to others anonymously), is usually a little more edited and reserved in what they share.  Also, the very nature of the spoken conversation requires one to pause in their thoughts or speech to allow others to speak, and to digest what others have said.   

Unfortunately the availability of anonymity, and the lack of required pause in most online communications,  is retraining many of us to forget there are consequences to our words.

The web, and particularly social media, has made it far too easy to talk about ourselves, and, I think, has (falsely) taught a whole generation that they can divorce the connections between what they say online, and who they are offline.

I can imagine that more and more people through the use of social media and the web are getting too caught up in sharing their stories and lives within formats that don't require any risk via investment of revealing their personal identity; and therefore, are shocked when they run into situations where either that is not welcomed or acceptable, or panic when a connection to who they are is made. (Lord knows, I did)

In this specific case, my opinion is that while I do think there are unique, and rare cases to tell a  story without pictures of the subject (such as a person who is a whistleblower in a corporate/government situation, or someone in a geographic area that risks real physical violence or death) it is my personal opinion that Poz Magazine has a journalistic responsibility to offer stories that put a real name and face with the article, and their subsequent right to reject story pitches that do not allow them to do so. 

I do think pozhealthy's story is one that needs to be told, and perhaps POZ could put the call out for others who have a similar situation who are willing to have their pictures included.  This might allow them to use pozhealthy's story as a supporting piece of the article, or at the very least, bring light to an issue that is affecting him.  Instead of asking for a boycott, or burning a bridge with them, I am suggesting that he restart communications with them asking what possible avenues can be explored for promoting this important story.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 04:21:13 pm »
I kept rereading this thread to see if it could make sense to me, so forgive me if my statements still sound a bit fuzzy here.

I think the OP here has some valid points, as do others, regarding the stigma that still exists and the real danger of 'outing' ones status.  Here's an idea...

Print the article and show a blacked-out picture for the face--you get the story and a REAL visual about the stigma message too.  Tag line..."HIV stigma still alive..." etc.

In my opinion, when, to whom and how we disclose (outside of some legal issues which I'm hoping does not hijack this thread into total spin-out.  If you want that there's a few threads here working on that one) is a VERY individualized decision.

For me, because of where my life is at right now relative to HIV--if someone thought that my story with picture included might make a difference to even ONE person--I'd say flash away--hell, I might even lift my kilt for a few ;-)

If it were me, and because I've told all the people that matter to me and can deal with the fallout from those that don't but might see the magazine--I'd think the STORY would be the most important thing.  If the picture helps tell it--catch my good side then.

-My uninformed opinion only--your mileage may vary   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.