Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:58:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 640
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hey guys worried here.  (Read 14849 times)

Offline SickOfThis

Hey guys worried here.
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:05 pm »
Hello. im a 27 year old straight male. im not very educated on the subject of hiv. i always use protection in sex and never do drugs with needles but sadly thats all i know about the disiese. recently i had an encounter that had me thinking about hiv and it made me recall past situations.

1. Recently i was mugged and stabbed in the side. while in the hospital the doctors never said anything about hiv so the thought never crossed my mind. now im thinking if that knife had someone elses blood on it and it stabbed me is that a risk?

2. i recall a few months when i was at the grocery store and i was trying to squeeze through a croud and my wrist was cut against a metal crate and it bled a bit but not like gushing and it was a pretty big cut. i had my bags in my hand and couldnt open the door and i wasnt thinking and i pressed the door open with my bleeding wrist right on the cut. is that a risk. what if there were hiv positive fluids on the door.

3. finally. back when i was a senior in high school there was this emo like kid who took a sick damn pleasure in doing dumb crap to people. one of his things he liked to do was poke people with pencils scissors and crap like that. one time i was sitting at my desk doing my work and i felt a prick on my finger and looked up and there that freak was with a damn metal pen in his hand. i immediatley stoo  up and punched him. that ended in my suspension and him being expeled. i remember hearing the principal talking about how he was pricking people with that damn thing all day which i think was a prong of a metal hair pick. if he had other ppls blood on it and pricked me with it is that a risk. i bled a little bit in this encounter.

thats about it as you can see their all about blood contact cuz like i said i use protection whenever i have sex. thanks you guys are great.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Need to put my fears to rest.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:40:30 pm »
Read the lessons on transmission. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:55:52 pm »
yes i red the welcome thread and theirs nothing really there that pretains to my question. i hope im not bothering you guys just a little anxious.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:18:22 pm »
You were never at risk.

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:58:28 pm »
thanx rod but could you tell me in detail why that isnt a risk it seems pretty risky to me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:48 pm »
HIV is a fragile virus and cannot stay active outside its host. In other words you cannot get infected from environmental surfaces.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:43 pm »
Your concern is understandable and happily totally unwarranted in relation to the various incidents you've described.

As Rod said, HIV is a fragile virus. It requires a receptive setting to both survive and transmit. None of the situations you described provide such settings. The reason you don't see examples of those kinds of situations in the Transmission lesson is not an oversight. It's simply that isn't how people become infected.

It's good to know you are committed to practicing safer sex. Condoms provide very effective protection against transmission.

You don't need to be worried and you don't need testing in relation to any of the incidents you've mentioned. However, if you are sexually active we do recommend that at least annually you have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

This time out you don't have to worry.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:59:34 pm »
Thanks andy your a big help and what your doing is great for people in need and uneducated on this like me. i know this isnt a chat forum and im not going to drag this on and waste your time i just have a couple of question that i would like to ask and i only trust you.

1. people can get hiv from sharing needles. im sure thats from the blood thats in the needle. if they get it like this how come they cant get it through ways like i mentioned like when i was stabbed and pricked with the pen.

2. my bleeding wrist scraped across that door. an open cut. how could something not get into that cut?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:20 am »
Sick,

There is a huge difference between needle sharing and getting poked with a stick-like object. When people use needles to inject drugs, they put the needle in a vein and pull the plunger back to bring blood visibly up into the barrel of the syringe. This is to ensure they have a vein. When they then inject the drug, some of the blood will remain behind, inside the needle where it is not readily exposed to the environment.

The risk is when they immediately hand the syringe over to another person for use. Their blood is then injected directly into the second person's blood stream.

Any blood that might be on a stick-like object is exposed to the environment and any hiv present will quickly become damaged and unable to infect.

Your bleeding wrist may well have been exposed to bacteria, however, as has already been pointed out to you, hiv cannot remain intact and able to infect when it is outside the human body and on environmental surfaces. Thank goodness this IS the case, otherwise most people would be infected by now. Hiv is very fragile.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Use them for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:22:10 pm »
Hey sorry im back again but this time im not here for me. i told a friend of mine about this site and he asked me if i would ask a question for him so here goes. he first wanted me to ask if recieving a bj unprotected is a risk and i told him it wasnt but he doesnt believe me and finally. his roommate just came out and also announced he is HIV positive. he was concerned because he recalled a time he shared a razor with him. he said he woke up one morning and was drowzy and didnt notice that he was using his roommates razor blade. he said he washed it off good before use but who knows. im concerned to cuz hes my friend so is there any possibility that there was blood and infected him or somethin. o he also said he cut himself while shaving to
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:30:43 pm by SickOfThis »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:51 pm »
There is no reason for him to be concerned about the bj or using his room mates razor.

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:31:35 pm »
Hey thanx rod for that reply i called him up and told him and he was glad you helped. i wanna be educated on this subject. ive gone to other sites and read up on these issues and most of them said sharing a razor was low risk activity but possible. they said their have been cases documented where hiv positive barbers have infected their patients with razor blades. idk but i trust you guys but could you tell me why sharing a razor blade isnt a risk. then ill be out of your hair for now, until i get another friggin question to ask. thanx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »
they said their have been cases documented where hiv positive barbers have infected their patients with razor blades.

Why don't you ask those other sites to provide reputable evidence that "HIV positive barbers have infected their patients [sic]  with razor blades"?

MtD

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 08:27:12 am »
Um, i said i dont trust them i trust you guys thats why im asking.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:36:23 am »
We can't account for what other websites put out as so-called information. There's never been a documented case of transmission via a haircut or a shave. Period. It's not our job to refute every bit of nonsense that you may run across on the web.

Our preference is to deal with the details of real situations people experience and address them in terms of risk factors.

Those are no-risk situations you are presenting us with. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:09:26 pm »
Thanx andy.

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:56:50 pm »
Hey yall sorry im back again, and yes im sure this is another stupid hiv concern. yesterday i was watching tv and a mosquito landed on my tv screen and i tried to movie it off but i squished it and it smeered blood on the screen. i wiped the blood off with my fingers and then without thinking i rubbed my eyes for a bit. could the mosquito have bitten somebody with the virus and had the blood in its system. im sorry i keep coming here and wasting your time.

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 02:27:29 am »
SickofThis...

Perhaps the problem here is that you are trying to compare the HIV virus to what you might have heard about other viruses. For example, the flu virus which is airbourne and which can stay 'attached' to surfaces that people touch and when they bring their fingers to their eyes or mouth become infected with the flu virus.

However, the HIV virus is not airbourne. If the HIV virus comes in contact with oxygen it dies (by that I mean oxygen like the one in the air around us - the one you breathe).

As far as the mosquito you killed, you might want to read this article as to why mosquitoes cannot transmit HIV...

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm

Lastly, you are not alone in having an HIV phobia. But there are very few ways to actually get infected with the HIV virus. Most involve straight forward direct exchange of blood fluids through sex or needle exchange. And I believe, plenty of people here have already told you to have safe sex.
Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 05:05:01 pm »
thanx a bunch that reference was very helpful i wish all lessons were that in depth about this subject. it talked about how they arent flying hypodermic needles which is good cuz if they were we would all be infected im just worried cuz i really didnt understand some of it. like i know when hiv hits air it starts to die but if a mosquito but someone infected the blood would go into the mosquitos stomach and stay safe in there away from air. and since i rubbed its blood i my eyes...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
Yah, yah, yah. That's all frabber jabber about rubbing your eyes.

Mosquitoes cannot transmit the HIV virus. Period. It's a fear almost as old as the epidemic that someone keeps bringing up but there is absolutely no basis in HIV science.

You need to get on with your life and lay off all these what ifs. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:38 pm »
Hey guys, how are yall i hope your doing well. just two weeks ago i joined this program that deals with HIV-Positive teens and kids. we do things like take them out places and stuff. 2 days ago i was handling an infected baby. ive gotten real close to her but anyway. this story is embarrising but i gotta tell it. she ended up spiting in my face out of nowhere. i know saliva doesnt infect so i didnt worry. but my manager started to freak out saying i needed to get a test immediatley and i explained the window period to him then he just started saying since her saliva got in my eyes and their was prolly some blood in there it infected me. is there any truth to this?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 08:15:14 pm »
Hey guys, how are yall i hope your doing well. just two weeks ago i joined this program that deals with HIV-Positive teens and kids. we do things like take them out places and stuff. 2 days ago i was handling an infected baby. ive gotten real close to her but anyway. this story is embarrising but i gotta tell it. she ended up spiting in my face out of nowhere. i know saliva doesnt infect so i didnt worry. but my manager started to freak out saying i needed to get a test immediatley and i explained the window period to him then he just started saying since her saliva got in my eyes and their was prolly some blood in there it infected me. is there any truth to this?

Your manager?

Look there is no risk from such an incident, you were not at risk. HIV is not transmitted in saliva, and in any event there are substances in your tears (such as lysozyme) which would inactivate the virus.

You do not need to test. Even if there was blood in the spit.

If you're prone to fears like this (and the nonsensical suggestions of your "manager") then you probably shouldn't be working with HIV positive people -- certainly not HIV positive children. You're clearly not suitable for the role.

My advice? Get some counselling and resign from the programme for positive kids.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 09:47:08 pm »
It's very distressing to read that a "manager" of a program for HIV positive children is so hysterical and ill-informed about transmission issues.

Sounds like the program needs some serious re-training for the staff.

And I join in echoing Matty's remarks that you were not at risk.

But those children are certainly at risk for being dealt with inappropriately. Ugh.   
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 10:21:59 pm »
i know and you can bet your ass im reporting him.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 10:58:14 pm »
Sick,

I have to add something here.

Anybody who has the care of children and teenagers has a serious responsibility. Moreso when the youngsters in question have a deadly, stigmatised disease like HIV/AIDS. These children are incredibly vulnerable.

Now if you carry doubts about how HIV is transmitted such that a patently stupid comment like the one made by your manager can cause you to come in here asking for advice, then you really have to have a think about how suitable you are to work with these little ones.

What if one of the kids show fall and injure themselves and you find yourself dealing with blood? How will you react to that? Can you trust yourself to be able to deal with the child in a sensitive way or will your irrational fears overwhelm your commonsense?

You really need to ask yourself these questions. Whilst your decision to work with positive kiddies is an admirable one, you owe it to them (and to a lesser extent yourself) to be sure that you're up to the task.

MtD

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 07:10:10 pm »
i have officialy diagnosed myself with hypochondria. my fears are endless and absurd. i promised myself when i first posted here i wouldnt keep coming back, i lied to myself. i spend 90 percent of my time worrying about hiv infection. i cant touch my face without washing my hands for fear that i have some hiv positive fluid on them that will get in my eyes or nose. yesterday i got this deep cut on my finger and idk y i didnt bandage it i just washed it off but all day if my hand that the cut was on brushed up against something i worried that some hiv positive fluid on the object it touched got in the cut. i know this is ridiculous but i cant help it. i know yall ban ppl who keep going on about irrelivant fears so plz just help me this last time b4 u ban me.

thank you

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »
If you're prone to fears like this (and the nonsensical suggestions of your "manager") then you probably shouldn't be working with HIV positive people -- certainly not HIV positive children. You're clearly not suitable for the role.

My advice? Get some counselling and resign from the programme for positive kids.

MtD

I agree with Matty, also you have been told that you where never at risk, and you are obviously not listening to what you have been told here so far.. it's time for you to seek some counselling..I don't think there is anything else we can help you with.

I'm giving you a warning..time to move on and get help from a counselor.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline SickOfThis

Risks?
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:26 pm »
Hi, ive been lurking these boards for sometime now trying to get the guts to post. well here goes, im 18 and a virgin never had sex, but what i have had is contact with blood. just yesterday i had a cut on my finger and it had stopped bleeding but i didnt bandage it. i was looking in the sports shop and i put on some boxing gloves and they somehow re opened my cut and made it bleed. is there a chance that there was blood or something inside the glove that got in my cut ? also is a child picking his nose and ears after handeling various things a risk? if there was any blood on it? thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: Risks?
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 09:52:59 pm »
§   Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

Original Thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18451.msg247477#msg247477

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »
So are you a 27-year-old or an 18 year-old virgin, since you have self described yourself as each? You've done more than lurk ie your previous entries which I have merged with your latest thread. Keep all of your entries in this same thread as our regulations require.

There was of course absolutely no risk in the latest issue you have raised. Just a bunch of somewhat fanciful fears that are not to be taken seriously in terms of HIV science. You've been hanging around here long enough to know that.

If you're trying to pull our chain it's not working.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:14:03 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 07:54:33 pm »
Hi, im the one who started the new thread with the name rusty im stephens roommate and i was using his computer sorry i messed things up. anyway, im just coming to terms wuith my homosexuality its kinda hard to believe. i have only had a few rendevous with men never any penetration. but an act i engaged in last week and even before that has me a little worried. im kind of afraid to have sex with men just yet so i pleasure myself with my finger and dildo. one of my concerns is that when i finger my anus im not so sure how clean my fingers have been. i look at it like ive been walking around all day touching door knobs and car doors and things in the grocery store that other ppl have touched i fear that someones blood or other fluid was on there when i touched it and got it on my finger that i insert into my anus. just last week i had my first homosexual encounter with a guy ive known for a little while but not to long. any way we ended up kissing and fingering eachother. i am scared that he had blood or something on the finger he was using to finger me with. thanks sorry i caused problems

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »
Sick,

If you're worried about germs on your hands, why not simply wash them before you finger yourself?

Whether you wash or not, you are not putting yourself at risk for hiv infection when fingering youself.

Re-read your thread. Our answers are not going to change. As Jan told you earlier this month, there is nothing more we can do for you here.

I agree with Matty, also you have been told that you where never at risk, and you are obviously not listening to what you have been told here so far.. it's time for you to seek some counselling..I don't think there is anything else we can help you with.

I'm giving you a warning..time to move on and get help from a counselor.

Jan

Jan warned you - and now I'm giving you a time out. If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you would have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SickOfThis

Hey guys worried here.
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 04:41:52 pm »
Im gonna keep this short. I had a cut on the side of my mouth that was still open, it hadent closed. i was playing basketball with friends and one got his nose busted and it started bleeding. we stopped the game until they stopped the bleeding and he came back in. i grabbed the ball on the ground and he tripped and fell over me and his nose started bleeding again and some blood fell DIRECTLY onto my cut.
am i at risk?

Offline SickOfThis

Re: Hey guys worried here.
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:09 pm »
Can someone help me out?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:04 am »
HIV is a fragile virus. Even IF it had been present in the accident about which you are concerned. it was not a risk. Such accidents are very common in daily life. I've never known of a single case of transmission to occur that way or through similar accidents. You are worrying needlessly and there is no need for testing.

Read our lesson on Transmission and you will get all of the basics about the subject. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this seciton.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline SickOfThis

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 08:27:22 am »
So someone elses blood can fall directly into an open wound and not infect you? Then whats the point in basketball games of stopping it when someone starts bleeding?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:29 am »
We don't run the basketball system. Although "theoretically" all sorts of life situations are potentially risky, we know that transmission doesn't happen through such sports events and other "accidents." 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:41 am »
Sick,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You've been coming here long enough to know by now not only our posting guidelines, but also how hiv is and is not transmitted.

If you insist on using this forum to go on and on about your latest non-risk, you'll quickly be given another time out. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.