Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Teeth on Penis  (Read 10574 times)

Offline alexander_ames

Teeth on Penis
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:08:46 pm »
I had a blowjob (uncovered) from a prostitute and I'm worried I may have contracted something. I could feel her teeth along the head of the penis many times, and when I inspected it after finishing, I noticed some very very light irritation on the skin (barely noticeable, very light red and light purple... only visible when strecthing and looking closely). Any risk of HIV?

Offline bat_boy_0411

Re: Teeth on Penis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:49:11 pm »
teeth, no teeth, false teeth, crowned teeth etc. are all the same. it is still an extremely very low risk in catching HIV. the odds of contracting the virus in this scenario is 1 to 10,000. with or without that "barely noticeable, very light red and light purple... only visible when strecthing and looking closely" irritation on your skin

is HIV present in saliva? yes
is the quantity of HIV in saliva enough to cause transmission? no

saliva has a certain protein to inhibit the HIV. so relax.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 04:20:11 pm »
Actually, bat boy, I have a real issue with that number.

Mainly because it comes from a single study which has been rather thoroughly refuted.

In the study, a group of researchers tried to utilize mathematical formulae to quantify, Vega$-style, the odds for contracting HIV through any given activity.

They made two rather sweeping assertions in order to make this paper work:

a) every act is consistent.

This is fallacious because every sexual act is NOT consistent. In the case of penetrative vaginal sex, the health of BOTH infected and uninfected partners varies widely from day to day, hour to hour. Viral load can spike, alcohol can dry out mucousal membranes and cause dehydration. Stress can lower immunity. Using certain lubricants inhibits HIV transmission. The list, for the single act of penetrative vaginal sex, is close to chaos theory.

b) They couldn't quantify the whole shebang

In attempting to make what was ALREADY a sweeping generalization based on a single set of numbers (for one episode of rather specific penetrative vaginal sex) more accessible, the researchers then went down the list of sexual acts, extrapolating from the initial mathematical formula. They did this from the most risky behavior (in this study, it was receptive vaginal sex) to least risky, which they assigned receiving a blowjob.

Only problem was, there has never been a quantifiable case of HIV transmitted through getting a blowjob.

So like anyone desperate for publication, they simply assigned a number to that "lowest risk" (read: no risk) activity, and published the paper.

In other words, that 1 in 10,000 number everyone likes to quote? Made up.

Because you cannot mathematically quantify the risks of something that has never been confirmed.

What are the odds of aliens taking over the living room? What are the odds of a person being born with sixteen heads? What are the odds of HIv transmission through a sneeze?

When it happens, to even a single person, we will be able to start assigning odds. Until then, it's not a reasonable extrapolation.

And certainly isn't good science.

Batboy, while I appreciate that you are trying to help, I urge you to wait until your own fears are quelled, and your own education regarding HIV transmission vectors is complete before assisting others. It's hard enough to bring accurate, science-based facts to the table. Having to correct incomplete or misinformation is, as you can imagine, very frustrating.

To the original poster. There is no quantifiable risk in the activity you mentioned, teeth or no.

HIV proteins can be isolated in saliva, yes. Also in tears and sweat and urine. But there is a HUGE difference between isolated proteins and active, infectious viral particles. Saliva contains multiple elements that inhibit HIV, destroy its protein shell, and render it incapable of infecting.

It's not so much the "quantity" of HIV particles in saliva but rather the "quality" of those particles that make receiving a blowbob, or kissing, safe insofar as HIV is concerned.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:32:19 am »
alexander,

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever become infected this way and just as you weren't the first to feel teeth while getting blown, you won't be the first to become infected through getting a blowjob.

Please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links for further hiv transmission information.

And while you're here, let me fill you in on a few other points.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. It doesn't matter if you're with a sex worker or your best friend. Use condoms.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

While you do NOT need to test specifically over your blowjob, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:51:01 am »
Thanks for all your explanations. Regarding other easier to transmit STDs, which are the ones I should be tested for? What kind of test should I ask for?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 11:54:45 am »
Have the standard panel of STDs done. That will cover all possibilities. And it's something you should do at least annually and better yet ever six months if you are sexually active.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
Alexander,

You can learn about other sexually transmitted infections at the inSPOT website.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 03:12:19 pm »
Okay, another incident... I had an unprotected blowjob with a prostitute... throughout the whole incident, I didn't notice anything, but I believe she probably had a piercing in her tongue, not completely sure. Didn't notice any blood or anything. I didn't finish in her mouth. Anyway, as I was walking home, I felt a minor sting on the top of my penis. As I got home, I saw very light (very light) stain of dry blood on my underwear and very very little on the tip of my penis. I'm extremely afraid that I may be infected with HIV through this and that it could have been her blood (don't know if it was mine eventhough I felt the short sting before, I checked to see if I was bleeding anywhere and I didn't see anything, unless it can from me)... could you please assess my risk?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 03:23:49 pm »
There is no quantifiable risk from receiving a blowjob, no matter what sort of spin you put on it. Teeth on penis, tongue ring, rough motion, whatever. If there were ANY caveats to that activity, we absolutely would have mentioned it.

I am wondering, if you are freaking out each time you get oral sex, why not simply use a condom for it?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 03:28:50 pm »
Would I need prophlaxic therapy, this happened 2 hours ago...

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 03:31:10 pm »
There was verly light stain of blood on the tip of the penis...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:40 pm »
No, you would not need, nor would a competant doctor, prescribe PEP for you. That's why I reiterated that it was not an HIV risk.

I imagine if you went to the ER and lied about your experience, told the attending you had full on vaginal sex without a condom, you might get that PEP you seem to desire. It's expensive, and stands a great chance of making you very sick every day for the next month. But hey, go for it.

I am beginning to wonder if the fear of HIV infection, the countless rounds of testing and anxiety, and the desire to experience PEP is becoming a fetish.

Welcome Thread

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 04:07:32 pm »
Why is it that the risk "non-existent" then as you claim?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:13:31 pm »
You have had the insertive oral question explained already on this thread. And I seriously doubt you have read the rather lengthy posts I have made on the subject. Be happy to repost them here, if you think it will do any good.

Regardless, insertive oral sex is not an HIV risk. This is due not only to the dozen or so inhibiting factors present in saliva, but also to the limited dendritic-rich mucousal membrane present inside the urethra.

We have not only serious lab study and primate/simian study to bear this out, but also literally thousands of hours of research on serodiscordant couples who have unprotected oral sex, yet have protected penetrative sex. To date, zero infections through oral sex. Zero.

Zero.

This is not "my claim," by the way. It is a careful and thorough interpretation of quantifiable science.

Welcome Thread

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:50:43 pm »
Yes, I've read the post, but I don't seem to understand how the blood factor mitigates the risk to zero... doesn't blood get into the penis through the urethra from Vaginal and Anal sex? How does one get infected then from unprotected Vaginal and Anal?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 05:11:20 pm »
One gets infected through fluids which contain high concentrations of the virus, without the mitigating protection of saliva. These fluids include cervo-uterine fluid, found in the deeper parts of the vagina, semen, blood, and in some cases, anal lubrication.

What you described was an injury to YOUR penis, hence that sting you felt and maybe the blood you saw. How can YOUR OWN blood infect you? And even if there were blood coming from your partner's piercing, such a risk has never been borne out in multiple studies involving men in the gay leather community. As a matter of fact, one study that had positioned itself as a watershed scientific event turned out, instead, to be a compelling treatise on the inaccuracy of patient report.

Simple follow up interviews trashed the attempt to quantify HIV infection through insertive oral sex with tongue/penis piercings or other body modification, as each of the test subjects admitted to having unprotected anal sex as well, along with blackout periods during sex parties and other events which would have - and should have - invalidated their reports.

Which is why the design of the serodiscordant couples studies has been so critical. And effective.

There is no reason to test over this incident, and no reason to believe that you will be the first person in recorded history to contract HIV through insertive oral sex. If nothing else, the mitigating factor of saliva is sufficient to inhibit HIV particles, destroy red blood cells, and successfully prevent transmission.

Welcome Thread

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 05:26:40 pm »
So you are saying that even if the blood was her, mine or both of ours, no risk?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 05:33:58 pm »
I am saying that in the history of documentation regarding HIV infection and transmission, there is no evidence to suggest that you had any sort of quantifiable risk. It's what I have said over and over in this thread, and as I find mysylef going in circles, I respectfulyl withdraw from the conversation. I apologise for my obvious failure to communicate.

Welcome Thread

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 05:47:39 pm »
One last thing that just flew through my mind... checking my underwear, the mark doesn't appear to stain (as blood does) and there is a aromatic smell (possibly lipstick)... getting outsied of this question, is it possible for lipstick to sting the tip of the penis? Does lipstick have a pH contact to do that?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 07:01:46 pm »
Alexander,

The penis is a sensitive organ so I presume that a cosmetic could irritate it. Nevertheless we're an HIV/AIDS website not a lipstick-on-your-knickers outfit so you'd have to seek expert advice on that elsewhere.

MtD

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:22 pm »
Oh crap!   No lipstick info

But less seriously:  with all the new lip plumpers designed to irritate one's lip and therefore plump....no kidding some lipsticks can irritate.

Watch out for the Cinnamon brand.  Seriously.
Sae.
Meh.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 07:54:44 pm »
Oh crap!   No lipstick info

But less seriously:  with all the new lip plumpers designed to irritate one's lip and therefore plump....no kidding some lipsticks can irritate.

Watch out for the Cinnamon brand.  Seriously.
Sae.

ACK! Sae, I'm breaking out in a rash just reading that!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alexander_ames

Condom used, but blood?
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 01:38:52 pm »
Hi,

I just had sex with a sex worker, condom was used when she gave me oral, and when I penetrated her. While penetrating her, I decided to change positions, and I noticed that there was a little bit bit blood on the tip of the condom. I lost interest in proceeding and went to the bathroom, I must have removed it a little quickly, but I mad sure that I did not come into contact with the blood. I tested the condom for leaks later on, and I found none, so I guess the condom did not fail. This is the first time a blood situation has happened to me and I'm sort of worried that I may have come into contact with HIV. Was this a risk?

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Condom used, but blood?
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:31 pm »
Alexander,

Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page. Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 03:09:29 pm »
Hi,

I just had sex with a sex worker, condom was used when she gave me oral, and when I penetrated her. While penetrating her, I decided to change positions, and I noticed that there was a little bit bit blood on the tip of the condom. I lost interest in proceeding and went to the bathroom, I must have removed it a little quickly, but I mad sure that I did not come into contact with the blood. I tested the condom for leaks later on, and I found none, so I guess the condom did not fail. This is the first time a blood situation has happened to me and I'm sort of worried that I may have come into contact with HIV. Was this a risk?

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 03:32:03 pm »
Alex, I've merged your threads. Keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Essentially you continue asking questions about the same incident which is about risk via you getting a blowjob.

In the entire history of the epidemic there's never been a documented case of transmission in that manner. It's safe to say that you won't make history by becoming the first. Whether you wear a condom or not to get a blowjob is irrelevant. Either way there's no risk of transmission. Period. End of story.

You're worrying needlessly about this. Either stop getting blowjobs or get over your unwarranted fears.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline alexander_ames

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 03:46:41 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for the reply, however what about the blood on the tip of the condom during intercourse? First time it ever happened to me... I stopped right away, checked the condom to see if it was ok (looked ok, didn't leak when I did a water test)... still somewhat worried; could menstrual blood on the condom be a risk?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »
al,

Condoms prevent hiv infection, even when there is menstrual blood present. It's blood, not latex solvent.

Keep using those condoms, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.