Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:41:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i want a baby  (Read 9168 times)

Offline NHLA

i want a baby
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »
i'm 29yrs old ive been hiv+ since 2005..am not married  nor hev any kids. my boyfriend of 2yrs is hiv negative. i want a baby so much,sometimes i cry :'( myself to sleep because i dnt knw what to do..wud it be selfish of me to have a baby when i knw am positive?? PS my boyfriend knws my status

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
Re: i want a baby
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »
You are not being selfish at all to want a baby, that's very normal.  There is no need for you to cry or feel sad because nothing really stops you from having a baby like any other person.  There is so much advancement in the medical field and the chances of you passing the virus to the baby are very slim if you are monitored properly. Talk to you Dr about it and he will advise you on how to go about it.  They are some ladies here who have had babies who are negative.  All the best
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline pozandpregnantct

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:06:32 am »
I have been positive for less than five months and am pregnant.  I don't claim to know too much about all of this but I have been doing my homework and am living through a pregnancy being HIV+.  My doctor and all of the websites I have visited all state the same thing.  As long as you take your medication and seek ongoing medical attention your chances of having a healthy baby are EXTREMELY GOOD!!  (My  doctor told me less than 1/2 of a percent chance  that my baby would be positive.) 
There are things you can do to make them even better... like have a scheduled c section 2 weeks prior to delivery, don't breastfeed and don't get an amnio.  There is a ton of information at:  http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/pregnancy.html
I wish you all of the best.
God Bless

Offline srmn98

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:23:11 pm »
Hi NHLA,

I am positive and had a baby a few weeks ago. His first two HIV tests have been negative.

As pozandpregnantct said, check out the link to thebody.com pregnancy information. Yes, it is possible to have a baby and have the baby be negative. The important thing is that you have good medical care throughout the entire process, this increases your chances of having a healthy baby enormously !

Do you have a doctor you can talk to about this ? It is important to get your viral load down, to make sure the medications you are on are OK for pregnancy, and to have a plan for delivery. You also must not breast feed. The baby gets medication for the first 6 weeks of life according to USA guidelines.

All the best,

s

Offline NHLA

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:13 am »
hello ladies

thanks 4 all ur advice..am not on any treatment as yet but my CD4 check is in a weeks time,i'll talk it out with my doctor!!

THANK YOU

Offline thatgirl1981

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »
I found out that I was HIV positive on June 21, 2007. I had bloodwork done because I found out that I was 6 weeks pregnant. I cried for a week. I was infected by my baby's father. He didn't know his status until I tested positive and he got tested after I got my test results. I was extremely stressed out, but I have a wonderful ID Doctor. My baby is negative thanks to the good Lord, my meds, and doctors. I have been off of medicine since February 26, 2008. I was very fortunate not to have any side effects from them. I am doing well. So, you can have a negative, healthy baby, despite your status.

Offline Nana

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:00:02 am »
Hi NHLA!

I know it is possible & not selfish to want to have a baby while living with hiv, and I also want to have a baby myself. What I want to know guyz is: Since I don't need meds for myself yet, will I be able to stop taking meds after the baby is born?

All the best
Nana

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:55 am »
Hi Nana, welcome to the forums.

Some women do go off their meds after the baby is born. "thatgirl1981" says in the post above yours that she went off her meds afterwards. It will depend on what your numbers are like before you start. You will need to go on meds for the pregnancy, and if you start the meds before, you can even concieve with a negative man the natural way. In order to do this, you need to have an undetectable viral load for at least six months before attempting unprotected intercourse. Many poz/neg couples are getting pregnant this way now days.

You need to talk this over with your doctor. Some doctors tend to discourage poz women from getting pregnant, but plenty are more than willing to help. If your doctor is one of the discouraging types, find a doctor who will help you. There's no reason why you shouldn't have a baby if you want one.

Good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nana

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 04:26:36 am »
Thanx for your advice Ann, I'm looking forward to having a baby

Offline spicy1

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 06:27:56 am »
Hi

I had been poz for 7 years before i decided to have my 1st child, im not on meds and had to take medication during the 2nd and 3rd trimester of my pregnancy. Im happy to say that my son tested -ve during his first 2 blood test and will be doing his 3rd blood test when he reaches 18months which is soon. I stopped taking my meds after birth and just got my blood test results yesterday and im happy to say that my virus is behaving very well a year after birth. So my dear take heart everything is possible with the quality of medication and doctors we have nowadays, we can afford to live a normal life and thats the life i strive to live every day with the good Lords Grace shinning down on me. THANK YOU GOD!!

Offline karry

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:26:25 pm »
Hi ladies,
I am glad I read this because my boyfriend and I are both pos, and he is on meds but I am not. He is divorced and he told me with his exwife they did sperm washing, but unfortunately she never conceived. I was getting so worried because I want a baby and as we are both positive I am scared if we did it the natural way and I went on meds there are chances the baby may get infected. He is undetectable....

I will be glad if anyone in my situation helps out with the needed information.

thanks
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 03:02:14 pm »
Hi I'm in my 2nd trimester, I started medication 3 weeks ago and I'm coping ok with it.  I've been pos less than a year and I don't need the medication for myself, my doc has said I can come of the meds the day the baby is born.  We conceived naturally (accidentally) and I do worry that the unprotected sex may affect the hiv - my partner is on meds but very bad with adherance.  I'm taking similar meds to him and they didn't find any resistance problems but I'm so scared about my first blood test...if the meds are not working I don't know what happens after that.
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.