Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:25:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm a scientist - not a marketing executive.  (Read 5086 times)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
I'm a scientist - not a marketing executive.
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:33:31 pm »
Dear Forum Members,

I'm posting this thread in response to PMs I have received recently.

Since 2006 I have been working as an HIV research scientist for a pharmaceutical company. The company I work for is irrelevant as I agree with and abide by the non-biased nature of the drug information available on this website. I'm a scientist, not a marketing rep.

I would hope that the people who do know where I work would respect my privacy and not broadcast information given in confidence – given that it is now widely known that I work in industry. I'm here to help where I can - not sell drugs.

I do this in my own free time and I do not receive payment for posting in these forums nor am I here as part of a deal with any pharmaceutical company and POZ.com.

So PLEASE do not ask me about treatments for HIV and advice whether to take drugs or not. I can not answer these questions, given where I work, as no matter what I say I can be accused of being a drug salesman. I could not live with this.

I will continue to champion people’s health and provide scientific input when requested as this is something I can do to help. However, I feel it only appropriate now to tell you all and to limit my contribution to this website.

I just wanted to make that perfectly clear.

If this information makes people uncomfortable then please respond. I would rather it cost my place on this forum than be labeled a drug salesman.

Richard.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline blondbeauty

Re: I'm a scientist - not a marketing executive.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:42:47 pm »
I think your participation in this forums is of extreme value and I hope to have you here for many years to come.  ;D
Pharmaceutical companies are going to keep me alive so I can only be thankful to them.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:20:59 pm »
While your comments were kind, I didn't post this as part of a popularity drive, but to try and tell people where I work and disclose fully that I now work for Big Pharma. Given what some people think about this, and that it is now getting out that I work in industry I thought it best to truthful - especially in light of recent PMs asking me advice about drugs. I just want people to know why I can't help them in that regard. It might sound stupid, but the choice of drugs and even the decision to take drugs should never be discussed with someone who works in industry - as no matter how good my intention is, someone will call foul and claim bias.

Rich.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »
Rich, I think everyone can appreciate your position.  I for one am glad you are here and hope you are around for a good long time... I could care less where and what you do..  Just that you are here is blessing enough..

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:44 am »
Richard,

I appreciate you being here, and your contributions to the site !! I look forward to reading your posts...

Have a great day--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:37:41 am »
Rich,

Don't let the pissants get to you. Those of us who count know how much you contribute and the fact that you are generous enough to share your expertise with us for free. My advice to experts here is, in general, not to give advice via PM.

If people have a question they should ask you publicly or not at all.

MtD
(Who is a staunch supporter of Rich)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:05:02 am »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I must admit that I am more relaxed now I have 'confessed' to working for a pharma company now. I have been fighting whether to tell you all publically - given some of the contributions in the "LIVING" section. However, public disclosure over rumor is the way to go. That way I get to tell people the story and not have people hear a rumor and adding 'money bunging' or 'deal with pharma' into the story - which isn't true.

I also get to stop using "R" now too, but might still sign off as "R" because it is quicker.

Rich.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:15:24 am »
Rich,

Who gives a fuck that you work for Pharma? Despite all the bitching that goes on about the Companies I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit that none of the critics here would give up their HAART on principle. Hell AIDSMEDS and POZ.COM have been taking the drug companies shilling ever since.

It's the way the world works and if some of that can be diverted to provide things like this, well then good.

Those of us who've been here for a while have an idea what sort of work you do, and frankly, we're grateful for it. Better to work for Pharma and make the drugs that save the our lives than for the military-industrial complex.

Love,

MtD
(Who knows that Rich has been long enough to understand that most of what goes on in Living With is just dick measuring) ;D

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:56:05 am »
Yeah what matty said!

On and for the record Matty... Rumsfeld says you are only THIS BIG!!!

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 11:17:16 am »
Bump for the person who PMd me today.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 11:35:43 am »
Rich, what you are is a stand-up guy. I could not agree with matty more about any detractors. Oh, and the dick measuring too.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 01:39:49 pm »
Dearest Rich,

You knew at some point that you would acknowledge your field of work as we have discussed this often.  What posters do not see is the Rich I have come to know and the intestinal fortitude that you have demonstrated many times, even if done privately.  You know how I feel about you and I can assure readers that Rich harbors few misconceptions about Big Pharma.  Rich has a passion for biological research involving HIV and he found his best opportunity with a drug company.

He's not doing research to make some company rich, he's doing this for all the positive people and to fulfill his life calling.  We should be so lucky that all researchers shared the passion that Rich has demonstrated.

I still believe that I will someday attend the Nobel Prize ceremony, where Rich will receive some recognition for his work in the field of HIV.  Heavy burden, indeed, but if a white knight can do this, it will be Rich.

With loving respect.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:41:55 pm by killfoile »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.