Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:32:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 520
Total: 521

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Zach's in the Hospital  (Read 68735 times)

Offline zach

Re: Zach's in the Hospital
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2014, 09:16:06 am »
Jre, two meds I will never again put in my body. Ambian, and Sustiva. Just not gonna happen man.

Offline zach

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:13 am »
In my family, the last generation pretty much fell apart. Me, and a number of my cousins were raised by our granny. Meds always had to be the worst tasting shit. She'd hold our nose and mouth shrieking, take your medicine, swallow it SWALLOW IT. Oh man, is it mythyolate? Worse than betadine and iodine. She'd grab us with her claws. Amazingly strong for 70 some. Start dabbling fire on us while we danced in a circle screaming murder. The rest of us watching in horror of being next. We'd hide our cuts, walk around oozing infected pus rather than face her.

This place is club med compared to her

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2014, 09:52:06 am »
My mom decided to wash my mouth out with soap once for calling a neighbor a sunny beach, I was far to young to properly cuss people out at that time .

I puked right down her cleavage and she did the same in the toilet within seconds and she never did it again... plus my dad got pissed saying she could have poisoned me . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2014, 10:05:35 am »
Granny had the mouth of a sailor. Never had mine washed out. She did switch me once though, still ashamed of that. She cried.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2014, 10:10:24 am »
Granny had the mouth of a sailor. Never had mine washed out. She did switch me once though, still ashamed of that. She cried.

My granny only cussed on Friday afternoon watching wrastlen on tv ... spelled like she said it .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
I think I only heard Gran Gran cuss one time, when she pulled a lemon meringue pie out of the oven and it flipped over onto the floor. She was a good Christian lady.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:05 am »
Never ever heard either my Father or Gran swear . My Father also never laid as much off a finger on me.

Now Mummy dearest had somewhat differant parenting techniques , rarely physically violent off herself but one learned to watch out for low flying objects and in a certain mood having one,s hair brushed resulted in mild to moderate concussion .

All illness would be gone by lunchtime , temperatures where the result off not sitting still or would go after a good stiff walk, ditto headaches , swellings showed the body was working and looking after the bones where the swelling was . I miss them all to the point off physical pain at times.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2014, 11:14:16 am »
  Meds always had to be the worst tasting shit. She'd hold our nose and mouth shrieking, take your medicine, swallow it SWALLOW IT.

:)  When I was about 10 years of age ( Or 52 years ago )  The ritual in our house, was the three times a week of having to swallow a tablespoon of Casor oil . My father would line all five of us kids up and give us our tablespoon of castor oil. UUgghhhh,..!  :)

Come to think of it,  we always had a lot of gas !  :P

Then my father got into the vitamin kick, ( selling and distributing) with a product that I remember being called " Nutri- Bio" This was some sort of vitamin packs that he would once again line us up to take once a twice a week, also when I was about 9 - 11 years of age .

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Theyer

« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2014, 11:16:19 am »
Jre, two meds I will never again put in my body. Ambian, and Sustiva. Just not gonna happen man.

Sustavia ---the Devil little Joke .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline zach

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »
I want a beer, a joint, a couple codone pills, and a burning hot bath

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
I want a beer, a joint, a couple codone pills, and a burning hot bath

They wont give you something for pain ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2014, 12:40:00 pm »
Oh I'm talking purely recreational relaxation at home where I can sleep it off in peace and bliss

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:25 pm »
I disapprove of using opiates for relaxation unless you are willing to share .  ;)   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2014, 01:30:36 pm »
Oh I'm talking purely recreational relaxation at home where I can sleep it off in peace and bliss

With a bit off planning all off that can be achieved during a Hospital stay , cut out the beer and that s more or less describes 75% off my time in hos .  Being on lock down in isolation ward does not help , though that will not be forever and those ugly giant drinking cups office workers glue there hands to can hide a cold beer , the dobey can be enjoyed during your night time walk which you have to do because
a ] its Part off your preventing constipation routine ,walking.
b ] if you have osteophorsis you need to walk as much as pos. the research states.
c ] You cannot balance in a shower
d ] You follow a strict meditation routine to aid sleep and a hot bath is crucial.

Offline zach

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:26 pm »
Weird thing a bout this floor. Keep in mind it's all respiratory isolation. There is an enclosed balcony, for patients only. For smoking. Stunning view to the north though, all the city and stone mountain on the horizon

Offline zach

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:15 pm »
Test today was a pituitary hormone stress response test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »

Was going to post there just to mess with Ann.

You'll have to try much harder than that, mister, to win a coveted spanking off me! :P ;D

I disapprove of using opiates for relaxation unless you are willing to share .  ;)   

I second that emotion!

Test today was a pituitary hormone stress response test.

On first reading I was sure you had a poultry hormone stress test! Finger lickin' good! Joking aside, what's that supposed to reveal? ... never mind, I just remembered you're currently keyboard-challenged. I'll go fetch google.......

Do all the patients on your floor have a Friday night disco party on that private balcony of yours?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline zach

« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »
You'll have to try much harder than that, mister, to win a coveted spanking off me! :P ;D

I'll show you! I couldn't feel it anyway, have lost most sensation from t7 down.  That won't do at all, still miles of trail to walk

Colonoscopy Monday, can't wait, never had a camera up unrest.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:28 pm »
It really sounds like the hospital you are in is quite thorough.  Glad to hear your doing better and a plan seems to be coming together. 

I'll smoke a J in your honor tonight :)
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:08 pm »
Weird thing a bout this floor. Keep in mind it's all respiratory isolation. There is an enclosed balcony, for patients only. For smoking. Stunning view to the north though, all the city and stone mountain on the horizon

They still have smoking places for patients?  I thought those were long gone.  I've climbed Stone Mountain a few times-- never took the tram.  I'm sure I would be huffin' and puffin' and throwing up today. 

Offline zach

« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2014, 05:05:36 pm »
They still have smoking places for patients?  I thought those were long gone.  I've climbed Stone Mountain a few times-- never took the tram.  I'm sure I would be huffin' and puffin' and throwing up today.

Yeah, there's a guy that is dying, sits out there smoking one after another. Gotta feel bad for that level of addiction

Offline Piscean

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:28 pm »
They want me to cathederize myself 3 times a day at home. I'm not sure about all that.

I would insist on a having a studly visting nurse stop by to handle that task  :P

Seriously, I have been following this thread and am impressed and inspired by the candor, humor and grace you have shared in dealing with your current health challenges. Please keep fighting the good fight.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »
Be well and know that many of us view and don't post often, bad I know but so it goes! I do look for your upbeat progression daily and send best thoughts always!

Offline zach

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
As of this morning, I am on ARVs

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »

Great news Zach! I'm really happy for you. Which ones?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline zach

« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
Tru, prez, nor, and isen

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
Tru, prez, nor, and isen

LOL yes of course you told us that already. Please pardon my brainfart. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

Glad to hear they have you on ARV's now Zach.  I hope this is a start to a full recovery.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

Woo Hoo.....  great news indeed!!

Mike

Please pardon my brainfart. ;D
That damned Truvada............   :P

Offline Theyer

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »
That is very good news indeed.
Had my first gym outing yesterday , Zach, in 10 years at least. Finally got dressed at 6pm this evening , I am pleased that they have started the meds.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2014, 04:26:00 pm »
Tru, prez, nor, and isen

Good Luck ! Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »

I am so glad to hear this !   Great news !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »
That damned Truvada............   :P

Thankfully my brainfarts don't smell like burning tires.

'cuz burning brain cells smell like cotton-candy.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »
Tru, prez, nor, and isen

Oh, goody, I get to be the 'Debby Downer' here.  :-\

I started out on Truvada, Prezista and Norvir. They worked great.

The Truvada eventually drove my creatinine levels too high and I had to be switched to Epzicom.

Truvada gave me loose stools 3-4 times a week. I combated it by taking probiotics. Once I switched to Epzicom, the problem went away.

I had pcp pneumonia when I was diagnosed. I was given Bactrim. It drove my metal salt levels downward to a dangerous level. It took three weeks to do this, though.

More good news: Truvada, Norvir and Prezista all have copay assistance programs. So if you have to pay out-of-pocket for any of these, get yourself registered with them. Using copay assistance saves me about $250/mo. on my scripts.

As for your dad, I wonder if he's suffering some sort of PTSD due to events in his past. Due to your description of the disposition of your relatives, I have to wonder if he's just wanting to avoid them. Only your dad knows for sure.

Maybe when you get home, you could invest in a couple deadbolts for your rooms. Just sayin'.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »
Zack, we are taking the same drugs.  I think you will be happy with them.  I haven't had any substantial side effects thus far.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:54 am »
Yeah, there's a guy that is dying, sits out there smoking one after another. Gotta feel bad for that level of addiction

Getting lung cancer from an addiction is a feel bad situation. But I don't feel bad when people who are gonna die, keep on doing whats killing them. I mean whats the point of stopping at that point?
Smoking is terrible for the health but I am in the minority opinion that its also a pleasure psychologically and probably chemically. 
Cornell Professor Richard Klein wrote a great book about it years ago:  Cigarettes are Sublime and he quit smoking while writing it...
http://www.amazon.com/Cigarettes-Are-Sublime-Richard-Klein/dp/0822316412

“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.”
― Mark Twain
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:37 am »
Do you know how long your stay in hospital will last?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2014, 09:07:03 am »
Soft exit date, Tuesday, waiting on one last test result, if good I fly

Colonoscopy Monday, I have  to drink an actual gallon of some vile concoction.

21 pills this morning, by far a personal best

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:06 am »
I have  to drink an actual gallon of some vile concoction.

It makes you shit your brains out for 18 hours. Enjoy!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline zach

« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:04 am »
Oh that's lovely

Offline mitch777

« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:02 am »
Oh that's lovely

The good news is that that is the worst part about the whole thing. I'm due for another one myself.  :P

Glad to read you finally are on meds! Hope Tuesday is brings you a ticket home.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2014, 12:26:30 pm »
Soft exit date, Tuesday, waiting on one last test result, if good I fly

Colonoscopy Monday, I have  to drink an actual gallon of some vile concoction.

21 pills this morning, by far a personal best

I imagine your going to need recovery time from the colonoscopy, Tuesday sounds very sudden , though can fully understand your want to be free off Hospital living . And according to Miss P you will need time to locate your brain , I hope you can remember what I often forgot Zach , rest is important .

So how many Pills can you take in one go?
Hard core ill talk.
Wishing you the best off everything
t

Offline zach

« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »
I'm about half a step away from open rebellion here

Offline britchick

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »
Zach,

Great to hear that you are on ARV's.Good luck with the coloscopy and yep, Im hoping you get the go ahead to go home soon, when you are ready.

Its fantastic news!

britchickxx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2014, 02:59:50 pm »
Do you have your follow up care set up?  Did that ever get squared away?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Theyer

« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2014, 05:49:45 pm »
I'm about half a step away from open rebellion here

Time to be home,
Good luck holding it in.
My Doctor reckons anybody with shall we say an independent spirit is driven mad by hospital . at least that's what he told me after I confessed to some incredibly over the top bad behaviour that I felt at the time totally justified in. Cannot even remember what it was now , still live and learn .

Offline zach

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
They seriously want me to drink a gallon of this sea water. And that's exactly what the fuck it tastes like

I just gave the poor Dr girl that's on duty a major earful

Offline Theyer

« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »
IT happen,s if you have the ability to say sorry in my experience it goes a long way and trust me I have had some sorry,s to say . Take care Zach you will soon be home
All the best
m

Offline wolfter

« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:58 pm »
Can't they perform that test as an outpatient?  I'm almost certain that I've gone home immediately after each of mine. 

Also, I hope Ann chimes in soon to correct my next comment as I can't recall the exact answer.  One of your meds (unless it was Isentress I'm thinking of) has a potential reaction with Versed which is a very typical drug that is used for sedation.
On my way home after the procedure, I suddenly had horrid pain.  I only learned about the interaction after the fact.

You also can't trust the professionals will automatically recognize the potential interaction.  I now insist that the drug not be used.

best of luck
greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:31 pm »
My mother just had that done as an outpatient, the sea water and the whole bit.  You shit your guts out the day before.  It leaves you looped after the colonoscopy, and they insist that you have someone stay there with you during the procedure and to drive you home.

They would not accept a taxi as a viable means of departure transportation.

I imagine that having a lack of proper transport plays into doing it as inpatient.

Well...that and the fact that mom wasn't playing Lazarus.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.