Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:44:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 258
Total: 258

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The football game and HIV  (Read 4671 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
The football game and HIV
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:02:18 am »
Well, it was supposed to be a big weekend for me.  My Huskers were playing for the Big 12 Title game and I had tickets to go with my wife and 10 friends.  Well the day started out fine enough, family pictures were taken and then the wife and I hurried off to the game to meet up with friends.  We arrive and prepare for the big game!

I had made a 5 gallon jug of an interesting concoction consisting of vodka, gin, everclear, OJ and redbull.  It got everyone pretty hammered pretty fast.  We played some football in the parking lot for a little while and continued to drink and watch TV.  It starts to get on into the evening and my wife, myself and the best man from my wedding all start to talk about serious things.  My family, of which he is heavily involved in, my job and our friendship.

Long story REEALLY short, I tell him "Look man you don't know everything I'm going through.  My heart just isnt in the job any more.  I have OTHER things that I find more important right now."  And he replies he does know.  My wife and I look at each other and kind of say... "what do you know?" He dilly dallies.  "And I say you don't know about my health"  and he replies "Yes, you have AIDS" To which I say, "NO I dont.  Actually I have HIV, the AIDS diagnosis doesnt begin until I am under 200 CD4 cells, but we will get back to that.  In fact I call it COOTIES.  And by the way, who told you?!??!"

Now, right away my wife starts to cry.  She knows I have wanted to tell him for a very long time.  But disclosure is a personal thing and I have only revealed my secret identity to my wife and immediate family.  My EX-wife has revealed my status to about 8 of our friends including one of my best friends from high school.  This guy was a SERIOUS homophobe and I know my ex told him how I had come upon my lovely parting gift and it kept me from talking to him for about 2 years because I dreaded how he would react.  Only when his dad died, who i was VERY close to, did I pick up the phone and call him.  Lots of tears later we are fine again.  But it wasnt ME that got to tell him and for this i was hurt.  Now, back to this weekend.....

It turns out that my mom, who he works for, told him almost 2 years ago.  Now, the UPSIDE is, he knew and he stayed by me.  And he made a point of telling me this ALL NIGHT.  ANd he was offended I didnt tell him sooner.  And I said, I NEVER HAD THE CHANCE APPARENTLY!!!  Which we had a good laugh over.

Anyway, my Huskers lost the big game and I was in SHOCK almost all night.  I think it was actually better for HIM to get it off HIS shoulders than for me.  I still don't know how I feel about all this, and I'm pretty sure there are ALOT more people that know than I want to know.  I am still in shock and all I could think of was you guys.  HOW PATHETIC!!! LOL  So here I am spilling it to my "other" family.

No point to this story.  Just sayin' it was one hell of a night, and the game sucked TOO!!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:05:36 am by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Dachshund

Re: The football game and HIV
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:12:30 am »
Once you tell one person secrets are difficult to keep. Your friend's response and reaction speaks volumes about his character, and his love for you. It's another brick in the road my friend.

Would you feel better if I made fun of you? I am willing to make that sacrifice. ;D

Hal

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:23:24 am »
Thanks Hal.  ANd yes it does speak volumes about him, which is why he was my best man. 

I guess I just feel cheated.  There has been only one person I have told on MY terms.  And that is my new wifey!  With my ex, the fucking state of KANSAS called and told her.  With my parents my hand was forced during a rather heated arguement with my dad/boss about me not understanding what stress was!!!  And my two best friends were told by someone other than me.

Goddamnit its MY virus and I should be allowed to choose who it talks to!!!
RIDE!!!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:32:54 am »
If more than one person knows(excluding medical professionals and spiritual pros)everyone will know.
Once it goes past your wife,all bets are off.
I found this our early in my business career. Never,ever tell anyone anything unless you are prepared for the world to know.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:45:51 am »
Your Best Man was (is) certainly the best kind of friend to have.  But I'm not surprised.  You're a really nice guy and nice guys have nice friends. 

So you lost the game.  I watched and thought of you.  By the way, what happened to the Big Eight?  I'm a Colorado fan and you all were part of the Big 8.  What happened to Colo?  Are they in the Big 12?  Or did they join some dinky ass group with Utah and Colo. State, Wyoming? 

robert

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:15 pm »
Colorado is in the Big 12.  They just fell off the map this year!
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:17:44 pm »
Man, you had an action packed day.

The best was learning yet again what a stand up guy your best man is.

As for others knowing you not being the one to make the choice, let the chips fall where they may and get on with what otherwise sounds like a pretty fine life these days.

I'll also note that you must have a cast iron stomach to withstand that brew you tossed together. I got queasy just reading about it.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:20:48 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:55:55 pm by Iggy »

Offline Longislander

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:25:29 pm »
I know you're a bit pissed right now, but it'll pass. Maybe you can ask those who know , to let you be the one who decides who will know from here on in?

And you're right I bet it was a big load off your buddies shoulders.

And AGAIN-You're a lucky SOB!!! ;D ;D ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:19:14 pm »
Hey ACinKC,

What a day/night that was and the content of the conversation.

Happy Holidays!

Now Playing: Rare Earth - Get Ready

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 10:43:17 am »
Oh i told my mom the next day.  I said hey, Im not mad or upset or hurt but I would have really liked to have told him on my terms.  I think she felt kinda bad, which I didnt want.
RIDE!!!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:15 am »
As my mom use to say, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out!"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.