Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:31:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Molluscum - what level of cd4 is needed to fight this  (Read 12786 times)

Offline Peterdenmark

Molluscum - what level of cd4 is needed to fight this
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »
Hi everybody,

Im Peter from Denmark.

Tested Poz in april, and been hospitalised for 5 weeks due to IRIS and many OI infections.

My first labresults showed zero cd4, and i was started on haart.
5 days later i was very sick.

Now im home again and on Isentress and Truvada, together with TB med.

Everything is going quite OK, and both my wife, friends and boss do support me.

My "small" problem and question is regarding my look, because my face are now almost covered with Molluscum - and my doc says that the medicine will take care of it.

But they dont know what level the cd4 should rise to, before I can see improvement.

Today my cd4 is 120, and have been that the last 2 months.

Anyone here have tried having this, and cann tell what level worked for you ?
I know this is not a life or death question, but its important for me, and I really hope someone can help me.

I wish u all a nice day :-)

Peter

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Molluscum - what level of cd4 is needed to fight this
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:33:50 pm »
Hi Peter, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure if anyone will know exactly how high one's CD4s need to be before something like MC will go away, but in general most things like this will improve with numbers above 200. There are also some treatments available for MC, so ask you doctor if one of them is appropriate for you.

You can read about MC and its treatments in our MC Lesson found in the OI section of the Lessons.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:40 pm »
Hi Peter, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure if anyone will know exactly how high one's CD4s need to be before something like MC will go away, but in general most things like this will improve with numbers above 200. There are also some treatments available for MC, so ask you doctor if one of them is appropriate for you.

You can read about MC and its treatments in our MC Lesson found in the OI section of the Lessons.

Hi Ann,

Thank you for spending time and give me a feedback.

I have been at a dermatologist i Copenhagen, and I have been given som creme named Cidofovir, but so far its not helping - at best it might have stopped the MC for spreading even more.

Thx for the link u gave me, I will read it today.

I hope you are correct about the 200, hopefully I can soon be there even though I havnt seen any change in 2 months.

But so happy actually, the HAART treatment nowaday works, and I can wait :-)

Kind regards

Peter

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
You're welcome, Peter! Glad I could help. Hopefully your MC will soon be a distant memory.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:24 pm »
Also try imiquimod 5% at night.

Are they big mollusca or small mollusca ?
7/10/13: Oraquick at Home (+)
7/11/13: CD4 <20, VL 286,000
7/26/13: Start Stribild, Bactrim, Azithromycin
8/13/13: CD4 64, VL 1194
9/11/13: CD4 87, VL 511
10/14/13: CD4 164, VL 34
10/15/13: Stop Azithromycin!

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:09:00 pm »
Hi Wolfthorn,

Sorry for my late reply to U,
My mood is not very good for the time being.....

My MC are small to medium in size - but I realt have Them.
I go for checkup tomorrow, and Will ask Doc about yr Medicine.

Thx,I appreciate yr answer

Peter

Offline Habersham

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »
Before the current drug regime I used to get molluscum everywhere and had a standing monthly appointment at the dermatologist to have them frozen off.  My dermatologist also prescribe imiquimod 5% for them. At the time it was "off label" for them but that may have changed. As your numbers get better I'm sure they will clear up on their own.

They are the same colour as the surrounding tissue aren't they? If not large most people may not even notice them.
Because I Can

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:01:32 pm »
Before the current drug regime I used to get molluscum everywhere and had a standing monthly appointment at the dermatologist to have them frozen off.  My dermatologist also prescribe imiquimod 5% for them. At the time it was "off label" for them but that may have changed. As your numbers get better I'm sure they will clear up on their own.

They are the same colour as the surrounding tissue aren't they? If not large most people may not even notice them.

Hi Habersham,

Thank you for posting.
Actually this means a lot to me! Maybe I spend to much time thinking about how I look, but I truly hate my face Rights now, and trust me - I have at least 100 MC in my face - people Can see, so Can I.

Went to my dermatologist again, and they gave me Cidofovir again....
Hope it Will help, just a litle bit :-)

Have a Nice weekend

Peter

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »
Try the imiquimod... and be patient... it takes a while to get rid of it, even in people with good immune systems.

Eventually your CD4 will rise and your molluscum will melt away naturally.

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:09:34 am »
Try the imiquimod... and be patient... it takes a while to get rid of it, even in people with good immune systems.

Hi Wolfthorn

Happy for your suggestion. But Denmark is maybe a great place were all medicine are free - but on the other hand, it's close to impossible to get appointment with dermatologist. I think they really don't care about this type of problem - and the imiguimod, is not available in DK - then only UK online is a possibility.

And to be honest , I'm not sure i dare to walk down that road - getting meds on the Internet.

I will ask my dermatologist in 3 months from I think.

Thank you very much - I actually spend more time thinking about my appearance than HIV and OI.
So for me it's important, and I'm happy about yr help

Kind regards

Peter

Offline Nic75

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »
Hi Peter

Why don't you ask your hospital doctor to have their dermatologist to freeze them away.

I have a link here for you(sorry to everybody here that do not understand Danish):

https://www.sundhed.dk/sundhedsfaglig/laegehaandbogen/hud/tilstande-og-sygdomme/papuloese-tilstande/molluscum-contagiosum/

Best regards

Nic
Tested positive February 2013

2/27/13 CD4 10 VL 2.000.000
3/15/13 CD4 10 VL 1700
4/4/13 CD4 90 VL 350
5/13/13 CD4 70 VL UD
7/12/13 CD4 80 VL UD
9/6/13 CD4 80 VL UD
10/25/13 CD4 90 VL UD
11/22/13 CD4 120 VL UD
2/11/14 CD4 170 VL UD
4/19/14 CD4 110 VL UD
5/29/14 CD4 160 VL UD

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:24:39 am »
Hi Peter

Why don't you ask your hospital doctor to have their dermatologist to freeze them away.

I have a link here for you(sorry to everybody here that do not understand Danish):

https://www.sundhed.dk/sundhedsfaglig/laegehaandbogen/hud/tilstande-og-sygdomme/papuloese-tilstande/molluscum-contagiosum/

Best regards

Nic

Hej Nic,

er du dansk ? (Are U danish ?)

Thax a lot Nic, but I have talked to them about this already, and they say I have too many to freeze them away.
Only 2-3 MC were actually frozen, and they was located on my neck, not in sensitive areas arround eyes etc ....

Nice to hear from u, and glad u are danish - I thought I might was the only one online here :)

Hugs
Peter

Offline Nic75

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
Hi Peter

Ok that makes sense, if it is so many. I will se my doctor about mine next week, so I will let you know what she decide to do with mine.

XX

Nicolaj
Tested positive February 2013

2/27/13 CD4 10 VL 2.000.000
3/15/13 CD4 10 VL 1700
4/4/13 CD4 90 VL 350
5/13/13 CD4 70 VL UD
7/12/13 CD4 80 VL UD
9/6/13 CD4 80 VL UD
10/25/13 CD4 90 VL UD
11/22/13 CD4 120 VL UD
2/11/14 CD4 170 VL UD
4/19/14 CD4 110 VL UD
5/29/14 CD4 160 VL UD

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 12:03:22 pm »

Hi Wolftorn,

Or anyone else with experiance of fighting MC.

As written earlier I have a lot of this in my face, both small and larger ones.
The cidofovir treatment doesnt really help, andI therefore just ordered Imiquimod.

Any who can tell me about this creme/drug what to take special care for etec etc ?

Looking foreward to see some fehdback :)

A nice day to u all

Peter

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »
I'd like to say you have MC because you deserve it, But who can say what another one deserves?

Not you, you filthy whore.

Keep your trousers up!

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
Also. MC is caused by a pox virus. It is rare to see it these days.

If you do, let me know.

I'd like to see a dumb cunt in the wild.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »
Hi Peter ... what Matty was tying to say is he deeply cares about your problem and hopes you get rid of what ever it is  .

Matty , stop calling people whores , your warned .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »
Hi Peter ... what Matty was tying to say is he deeply cares about your problem and hopes you get rid of what ever it is  .

Matty , stop calling people whores , your warned .
Hi Jeff,

So happy for that translation - now I know my english is really bad lol :)
Have a nice weekend.

And for anyone else, plz write if u have something nice or clever to say.
Kind regards,

Peter

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 02:32:55 pm »
Hello Peter,..

As low as my tcells were in 2003, Molluscum, was one thing I didn't have to deal with. I was dealing with other issues especially when the meds kicked in.  I also went through IRIS.

The problems with me were shingles and incredibly painful/ large sores on the mouth and lips.  For me, this condition lasted probably 2 weeks or so.

Anyway, Here's a lesson from the site, in case you missed it :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/MC_6813.shtml

Hoping things get better for you soon ! Hang in there !!

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »
Thx a lot Ray,

Im too having IRIS right now, and I had as low as we can get...

i almost died, but after 5 weeks in intensive care I felth better - yahooo.

And , I do know its silly, but to look like this is really difficult for me.

Strange though, I had MC before my diagnosis, but at hospital they gave me so much meds, so my skin cleared up perfectly - but now its getting worse by the day.

Nice to hear from you, looking foreward to read yr link :)

Peter

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 09:05:52 am »
hello everybody,

I will keep writing about this MC shit - until it clears up, at least I hope it will help others in the future to deal with this.

My face is coverede with hundreds of small MC, and 15-20 'giant MC'
I have now tried different meds for this(cidofovir and immiquod)

None of those seemed to help - but the last week i used som oldfashioned acnecreme, Basiron (benzoyl peroxide)

This actually help - at least i feel that.

90 % of the small MC has gone away :-) Very goodnews.
10% og the small MC have now turned BIG - and some of them, I can get the white inside out... Good news or bad news ??????

Furthermore I will visit a new dermatologist next tuesday - hope they can help..

Any input would be gladly received :-)

Peter 

Offline Habersham

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:53 am »
LOL

Peter I'm laughing because when I was in high school benzol peroxide was brand new and was only available with a prescription. Now it is an old fashioned remedy.

Glad to hear you have good news. I think a couple things are in play here. Your t cells are improving and you have been using the prescription ointment. I think the benzol peroxide would only remove dead or dying molluscum but I could be wrong.

Please show them to your new dermatologist and ask him what he thinks.

Good Luck!
Because I Can

Offline aaware72

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »
I had Molluscum when I found out I was poz in January.  My CD4 count is now 414 and I still have a little left, however it has gotten better.  It is my understanding it will go away eventually.  I guess I am lucky as it only in one area on my body and it's hidden most of the time
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:25 pm »
My Dx, was accompanied by a good case of MC, all over my face (couldn't hide it). A dermatologist put me on a cream , I can't remember it's name (something like aldara). But it cleared most of it after 5-6 months of being in treatment, was about the same time I reached the 200 number on my CD4.

Be patient man, this hideus things will clear themselves in time.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 12:36:21 am »
Mine are almost all gone. I soaked them with vinegar compresses until they turned white and bled and scabbed over, they went away. I think it helps that my CD4 is up.

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 12:37:40 am »
peter- try soaking them with cloths with cider vinegar for a few hours. it dries them out and they tend to regress.

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 06:51:06 am »
Hi everybody,

Thank you so very much for all yr feedback - Im so happy, that u spend time giving me advice :-)

Due to the fact that I go to a new dermatologist tomorrow, I will not try anything new yet - but will listen and hope that they put me on some new 'magic' meds.

Furthermore I will have new bloodtest within 2 weeks - so I cross my fingers for any improvement :-)

Have a nice day everybody - and again THX

Hugs,
Peter

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:11 am »
Hi again everybody,

Today I have new hope ;)

Just visited my new dermatologist, and today 3 doctors were checking my skin at same time - and they spend more than 1 hour with my "case" - the best visit ever :)

They took biopsi from my face and I will know more in 1-4 weeks.
Already they told me that they think I have Ofuji skin disease - which I have never heard about before - but if they are correct, its much more easy to get rid off than MC. Its some kind of fungus....

So, for first time in months Im really hopefull again.
They gave me som cortizone and fucidin, not to cure anything, but to give relaxiation to my skin,  until they have dx and treatment.

Have a nice day everybody

Hugs
Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.