Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:27:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 459
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Considering Liposuction for the hump...  (Read 26872 times)

Offline billboston

Considering Liposuction for the hump...
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:55:32 pm »
I am interesting in hearing from people who have had the procedure.  I have been investigating have my hump removed but I am still concerned about the invasive nature of the procedure.  Can anyone give me some insights here?

Offline billboston

Has anyone had the liposuction on the hump?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 09:46:50 pm »
I would like to hear the particulars.... Thanks.

Offline woodville

Re: Considering Liposuction for the hump...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:10:29 am »
i had ultrasonic lipo a few months ago and it reduced the hump as well as 2 fat pads on my back,
but it is still there and still bothers me - but my shirts fit again
i went to a surgeon and he said he could cut it out but i would have a 2" scar on my neck and it would cost 10k

the lipo i had was with a VASER system that dissolves fat cells upon contact with ultrasonic energy delivered through a small sterile probe - no pain - quick recovery - www.pfrankmd.com
Diagnosed 1994
Currently on Truvada, Isentress
CD4 Count 1100
VL Undetectable

Offline PennGuy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:46:57 pm »
I had lypo for dorsal fat (Buffalo Hump, but I like the term better) The first time it took away 90% of the fat. But a year later it came back. I had lypo a second time. This time the surgeon could only get around 80% out because of scar tissue. He said he had a hard time (because of scar tissue) and that any future procedures would not be able to use lypo anymore because of scarring caused. The candala could not get through all of the thick scar tissue that formed. I changed all of my meds, and another year later it has returned. The surgeon said he could try to cut it out but it would require a large incision. I was not going to do it, but it is getting worse and worse. I have a hard time turning my head from side to side, it is pushing my head forward in an uncomfortable position. I may consider it. But I know it will be more expensive and it may come back yet again.

Offline poobear

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:11:42 am »
I had my buffalo hump removed by liposuction about three years ago.  My hump has not returned as of yet.  Although there is a lot of pain afterwards I am glad I had it done.  I dont have that ugly hump on the back of my neck.  The surgeon said that it hurt so much is beacause that area of your body has a lot of (I don't know correct termenology) lets say for lack of better term fibers that connectyour fat to the skin and they break thru those fibers and realy ram the suction in and out braking those fibers away which in turn hurts for awhile couple of weeks.  But again I am glad I had it done and it did not grow back on me thus far.  Good Luck with whatever you do,  ;D

Offline marc1236

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:55:22 pm »
i want my lipo belly removed..anyone know of any doctors in  the los anhgeles area or near there who will do this operation on hiv positive people?

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 03:03:49 pm »
bump
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline mike55

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 10:35:39 pm »
Did you get liposuction ?  How long did it take to develop (and at what size are you considering liposuction).  I have a hump that started about 3 months ago.  It's not large, but it seems to be progressing.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:18:44 pm »
I'd like to give thanks to woodville, pennguy and poobear for sharing this personal information ... It gives me hope for the future in case I ever run into this situation for myself. Three cheers for the goodness in modern medical procedures like liposuction! (Hope for the future  :))

Offline panda

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:05 am »
I had suction surgery from the bely and i am very happy with the result even today wich is 9 month later .. it was a bit painfull but it worth it... i say "go for it" if this will make you feel better then do not hesitate just go for this.

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:01 pm »
Hi all,

I saw my plastic doctor today for a third round of shots of NewFill/Sculptra in the face. Since I was at it, or rather after he finished tunneling away, I asked him about my nascent buffalo hump. It only started recently but I wanted to have the lowdown.

He is against liposuction because of scarring and against ultrasounds because he says they leave an unfinished job. He's for the surgical way, cutting the stuff out, which presumably leaves a relatively long scar. How encouraging! In any case he advised to do it only when one becomes really uncomfortable as there are always risks that it will return.

I forgot to ask about belly lipo, which I don't need and only works for subcutaneous fat, the fat between your skin and your muscles. Apparently meds-induced belly fat grows under the muscles, between organs and cannot be operated.

Hope this helps

Pat

oh, did I mention that the spell checker still does not recognize lipo but thankfully knows all about dildo ? :o
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline billboston

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:14:42 am »
I had surgery in Boston around the beginning of July.  The procedure involved UAL.  It has be five days since the surgery and things are looking VERY good... except for the bruising. I am pleased at this point.

Insurance will pay! After five attempts/appeals. 

Contact me if you want the name and number of the doc who performed the surgery.
 ;D   

Offline timmaguy369

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:19:19 pm »
I don't know how to send individual emails through these boards--but info on who performed surgery would be great! I live in New Bedford and am looking to have lipo on hump.

Thanks 

Tim

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 02:05:10 pm »
Tim
You are able to send private messages through the boards by clicking on the persons screen name and choosing "send this person a personal message" and click on that.  Is that what you were asking? 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline blk07

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 04:10:35 am »
Panda, can  you tell more more about lipo on the belly and which doctor did it cause we have tried to go through some many sites and they say its not possible.My wife desperately needs to reduce her belly fat.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:22 pm »
 hi everyone,I'm new.have read the forums,but just got around to joining.wanted to let some of you know i had a huge hump excised in Miami about four years ago.it grew quickly after starting kaletra,i was told liposuction was not an option because they are usually too fibrous.it left a five inch scar( not noticeable to me because i can't see it)i would re comend this surgery to everyone it was not very painfull,i felt much better about myself ,and most importantly it never grew back!!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 06:27:02 pm »
There is a show on Cable, I think it's on Discovery Health, called "Plastic Surgery: Before and After.' One of the episodes showed an African-American woman who had HIV for many years getting liposuction on a slight hump she had. The program showed the procedure being done, etc., it was very interesting. Maybe if you do a search online or go on The Discovery Health website you can see the show online?  The procedure was done by a female doctor based in LA I think it was.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.