Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:40:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 255
Total: 256

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!  (Read 63575 times)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:59 pm »
Yeah well in that case we're all bug chasers.

I'll withdraw from this discussion.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2007, 11:48:27 pm »
Yeah well in that case we're all bug chasers.

I'll withdraw from this discussion.

Milker.

Yep... I guess according to that person we are the stereotypical bug chasers = gay, IV drug users, black, or sex worker...
Talk about closed minded and cynical

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2007, 11:51:01 pm »
-Haineux-

Still would like you to comment on this.  I don't see that I posted anything to warrant that.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2007, 11:59:47 pm »
Matty the Damned suspects Poz magazine has dealt with Jesse in a supremely unethical fashion. Does the boy understand the consequences of his outing himself? Did Sally Chew explain these things to him or did she just manipulate his desperate need for attention?

MtD

I don't think that you, Jesse, are a bug chaser.  I do think that you crave and thrive on attention.  I, too, withdraw from this discussion.  Best of luck to you.

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2007, 12:18:39 am »
Paul -- agreed.  I have found this thread to be pretty sad, especially as a reflection of the so-called "community" that exists here.  Jesse has been called arrogant and naive again and again by the cynical mob, and has kept up a friendly demeanor in response.  So who here has the more open mind to how others perceive things?  Who here actually sounds arrogant with their one-size-fits-all-dying-from-HIV party line -- stick to it, or find some other forums!

Trust me, Jesse rubbed me the wrong way right from the get-go, but I admire any 19 year old that publically discloses their HIV status, especially THIS publically.  Sure, he's naive, but at least he's not cynical and nasty yet.  At least his mind seems to be open to the remarkable spectrum of all our experiences, living with HIV.

Peter

Peter

I'm perfectly comfortable with what I posted in response to the article.   I don't know Jess beyond what was presented in the article.  In my opinion it did paint a picture of a 19 year old who is immature and self absorbed.  I stand by that.

I think the problem here isn't so much what you describe as a "pretty sad" response from others, the problem is as others have pointed out.  POZ magazine appears to have taken advantage of a vulnerable 19 year old, one who clearly craves attention.  The shame (if there is any) doesn't rest with the responses from members of these forums in my opinion, the shame rests with the corporate culture who took advantage of this young man.  Not unlike the "older" men who preyed on him and one of whom probably passed on the virus.

So before you climb on your high horse and admonish others for their reactions, perhaps you should hold yourself and Smart and Strong to the same standard of criticism you have felt free to impose of others.

RAB

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2007, 12:33:07 am »
To clarify somethings...

Attention: I don't lack any. If you take a look at myspace you can realize that I have a very busy schedule and eventful life so attention was not a reason. My friends provide me with enough fun things to do. Put yourself in my shoes kiddos, I just exposed my status and my sexual orientation to the public. It will effect my life, career, and future! I did it with the idea that young teens will get the word. Read the magazine section that says, "on the cover" and you will see another reason why I did it. My friends are valuable to me and if my story can spread awareness in the teen community, I have reached my goal.
In the end I am the one on the cover. So people stop trying to make conclusions.
I AM CLARIFYING THAT NOW... LATER ON I DON'T WANT ANYONE SAYING, "I DON'T KNOW YOU SO I GUESSED"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:58:20 pm by jessem3s »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2007, 12:34:41 am »
you STILL need to answer me.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2007, 12:45:12 am »
you STILL need to answer me.

Need is a powerful word....

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2007, 12:47:43 am »
Um, I think it's a bit of a stretch to start judging and determining that Jesse has been "taken advantage of" by the "corporate culture". 

The only way this could be the case is if you believe that publically revealing your HIV status is a negative thing.  And this can only be the case as long as there is a stigma attached to being HIV+!

If some gay magazine ran a cover story about Jesse a year ago, before he was poz, announcing that he was gay, nobody would be claiming that he was taken advantage of.

It's only by people like Jesse "coming out" about their HIV status that the HIV stigma, such that it is, will be put aside!

Good thing there are courageous people like Jesse who are willing to step up and do their part.  His action helps motivate me to be more open about my HIV status.

Offline edfu

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2007, 01:30:37 am »
Wellll, isn't that speciall??? 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline northernguy

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2007, 01:36:12 am »
I probably should hold my tongue, but here goes:

If Jesse is 19 and immature and self-absorbed, and is HIV+ then why should his experience not be in POZ?  As I tried to point out before, if he's HIV+, his story is as truthful as a 20 years survivor who's been to death's door.  It is his experience.  Of course he doesn't know of some of the horrible things that can happen. Maybe he will in time, maybe not.  I have no crystal ball.  (Does everyone even remember what it was like to be 19)

Do the people protesting the "sunnyness" of the article really think the readership of POZ needs to be reminded in every article what a serious disease this is.  Really?

As to being taken advantage of?  If 19 is old enough for the USA to ship men and women half way around the world to some godforsaken desert to risk having their heads blown off, I think its old enough to decide if you want to share your story with a magazine.

I am a bit disappointed that some claim to know exactly what Jesse's motive was in "acquiring" HIV.  Do you know mine too :(
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline asaint

« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2007, 01:48:33 am »
Correct me if I’m wrong, two of the fastest-growing categories of new infections, are women and people of color. Were’s there stores?  To raise awareness and bolster prevention efforts don’t you think that there stores would do the world good? And lets not forget the people (LTS’S) that made this magazine what it is today. Without us there would be no POZ magazine,
Let the truth be told.
Not some sugar coating that none HIV+ people will never read
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2007, 01:58:15 am »
Edfu,

Blow me.

-Andrew

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2007, 02:09:10 am »
Honestly any article written in POZ magazine will not be able to touch everyone, and not everybody will be able to relate to the person being written about. I have read other articles about other peoples stories and some of them i feel like "wow this is just how i feel" and others im like "huh?". I think that it is important to write articles about different people from different backgrounds, cultures, and values. I think its nice that they wrote about someone with such a positive outlook and is trying to deal with his diagnosis and not giving up on the goals he has in life. Sure his life will change, he might learn that having HIV is not as easy as he thought, he will probably end up on treatment someday, BUT today the meds are not like they were in the 1990's there are many more options. Im sure that plenty of young people are infected and might need a boost of confidence. I do think that humility is important in a person and I for one dont really relate to the article, but im sure someone will.

The article doesnt really send much of a prevention message because it does make it seem like its no big deal but most of the poz readers are already HIV positive....

-josh
(who is tired from working all day and speaking in spanish so isnt really conveying his thoughts clearly today....)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:14 am »
Interesting points, but consequences can have silver linings. (And yeah, consequences can give us those problematic cans of worms too. Who's to say?) Example: What if Jesse predicts his life, career, etc will be rooted mainly in a queer-friendly, HIV-friendly environment? Then the article is likely more of a service than a disservice.

The editors should publish a follow-up on Jesse and call it "Five Years Into the Fire" or something like that. If they don't do a follow-up and instead opt for fresh meat, well, that will and should raise a few eyebrows.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:49 am »
Well, I will say he got the attention he was going after by starting this thread. Remember Queen tolerated him when the majority would like to string him up by his balls...*quite the visual, I  might add*..I think it's great that he's soooooo freaking open but the message I get from his article is: Hey, look at me. I am 19 and went through countless older men because I am cute and look good. I knew I could become + but so what.

I'm sorry but even to the younger generation, I feel he is setting a bad example. Not every 19 yr old comes from money and I know the ghettos of Miami, I use to live in them. And Jesse you say middle class, I don't know anyone who is middle class that buys their son a new car every year. I have to question how someone who just started in the forums even got a cover on Poz and only 6 months infected. Sorry but I feel like someone's pockets got lined real good. I could be wrong and maybe I am but that is the perception I got. Call me bitter if you want to but you would be wrong, it is more like confused. I know I was once called Suzy Sunshine or some name on here and it is good to think those good thoughts but Jesse, you have me on the verge of gagging on it. But I will thank you for making me see how others prolly saw me at one point. I will always be grateful to be 10 yrs with this and no meds but I will never force it down someone's throat.

I don't do MySpace anymore but wondering if you are just as open about being + on there? You say you have friends who are sticking by you and maybe you do but I have to wonder if many are there because of what you have and I don't mean the virus. Then you say you have cliques or clicks, not sure of the correct spelling but most cliques are not open and only a "certain" type of person may join them. Not sure if you're picking up on what I am saying....

I will congratulate you for your openess about being poz but can do little more than that because to me it sounds like Poz magazine joined your clique and turned into a Jesse cheerleader like the rest of your crew...

(who is not bitter but keeps it real)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2007, 03:39:41 am »
Have we never heard of a lease?  ???
Its the most convenient and common thing to do ;)

Jesse
(Who is super tired of trying to make people understand his life) >:(

Offline edfu

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2007, 04:04:23 am »
Andrew,

Is that intended as an invitation or an insult?
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2007, 04:07:13 am »
Is that intended as an invitation or an insult?

-snicker- :D

Jeez Ed, are you growing a sense of humour? ;)

MtD

Offline edfu

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:42 am »
I'm trying, Matty, I'm trying.  Get better soon. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2007, 04:26:33 am »
Have we never heard of a lease?  ???
Its the most convenient and common thing to do ;)

Jesse
(Who is super tired of trying to make people understand his life) >:(

Now it sounds like you are the one getting bitchy and I thought you don't get that way???? And what do you mean by your statement or is that some new lingo I know nothing of? Oh, you mean lease the car...Well, folks from the hood don't lease cars, sweetie. And has never liked having a car note of any kind..And it must be common in suburbia...how bougie..... :-X
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:29:20 am by Queen Akasha »
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline edfu

« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:03 am »
Jesse, if you're so "tired" of trying to "make" people "understand" your life, why do you make such a point of exhibiting it and then bragging about it?   

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2007, 04:40:09 am »
Jesse, if you're so "tired" of trying to "make" people "understand" your life, why do you make such a point of exhibiting it and then bragging about it?   

Exactly...

(who is too ghetto to be on the cover of Poz) :P
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2007, 04:41:22 am »
First off Jesse I want to congratulate you on having the guts to do this article.  There are however a few aspects of this that sit uncomfortably with me with regards to the behavior of poz magazine.  I hope someone sat down with Jesse beforehand and fully explained to him the consequences of outing himself like this (which I doubt).  As I was reading the article I just kept getting the impression that he was being taken advantage of slightly.  I also don't know what poz magazine was trying to achieve by portraying someone like this who had only been diagnosed for 6 months.  I don't think you could possibly begin to fully come to terms with the reality of a HIV diagnosis until at least a year after the event.

When I was diagnosed for the first 6 months I was tackling everything head on.  Finishing my university degree and disclosing to all my friends and parents.  It's only after a while when all that initial activity is finished, everything has settled and you've had a chance to sit down and think does the real reality of living with HIV hit home.  This is where this article has gone wrong in my opinion.  In short right person, definitely wrong time.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2007, 07:28:32 am »
He is a bug chaser. That's what they do.

A dabble in history will illuminate that. I am many things, Peter. I am not often wrong. Certainly not about that.

Jonathan -- that's a rather scurrilous accusation to be throwing around in these forums.  You crossed a line.  Consider this a warning.

Peter

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2007, 07:41:15 am »
Queen does raise a very interesting point:  just how does somone get on the cover and the subject of an interview that damn fast?  He said he became positive in February of this year...and he says this article has been in the works since April of this year.  That's two measly months from diagnosis to cover.  Wow.

And Jesse:  Hate to still push a point, but it really speaks to your true character that you made that stupid ''haineux'' comment to me unprovoked, you have been made aware of it in this thread- and are deliberately ignoring it and refusing to apologize for it.

No, you would NEVER treat anyone poorly.  Not you...   
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Dan J.

« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:45 am »
This thread gives me a headache...

>:(

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2007, 11:29:03 am »
It just makes me extremely sad, Dan.

25 years of AIDS, and what have we learned?
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Dan J.

« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:04 am »
Obviously we haven't learned very much & that there is a lot more work that needs to be done.

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52:24 am »
25 years of AIDS, and what have we learned?

Indeed.  While I am impressed by Jesse's confidence and strength at putting himself out there as being poz and not ashamed, which in itself is a powerful accomplishment not to be done without careful weighing of the consequences (in my mind), I am a little be saddened by the article. 

While this was obviously not done with any altruistic intentions meant to help prevent others from making the same mistake, it is indeed the content of the article in POZ that made me feel like I was reading People magazine. In my opinion, the triteness of the article was not the most disturbing aspect but what it caused me to realize.  As others have aptly stated, the attiude portrayed through this interview about the prevention and risks of HIV and the lackadaisical attiude that is so pervasive about it (especially in the younger generations) makes me very very sad.

So, Jesse, I am impressed at your courage to put yourself out there and I am also glad that your positive outlook about having HIV is working for you but I am do think that a more positive message could have and should have been sent with this article.

JP
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2007, 01:05:55 pm »
Matty the Damned suspects Poz magazine has dealt with Jesse in a supremely unethical fashion. Does the boy understand the consequences of his outing himself? Did Sally Chew explain these things to him or did she just manipulate his desperate need for attention?

MtD

Those were my exact thoughts as soon as I began reading this thread and saw the article. Jesse, they used you. Whoever infected you probabaly did, and the women of Poz ate you up and spat you out without a second thought for your future wellbeing. This is not the Paris Hilton porn tape that she could get out of with the righ money and PR and lawyers. This is exposing you big time, for everyone, on paper and online. In your full name. To leak to whomever, whenever, and you are still in your teens.

This is not doing the rounds at colleges or schools to speak about HIV, this is uncontrolable exposure. And I have worked in several magazines and I know exactly how much (little) thought most reporters and editors have for their subjects beyond the caption and the deadline. I pity you Jesse, I really do. You must break out of the cycle of letting people use you. And as for the people who made this editorial choice, at least one of the has spent a very very long time in the closet, so she should know much better.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2007, 01:33:02 pm »

MtD, I definitely agree that there is an issue there. The article also bothered me with another, more subtle, issue that was glossed over.

It states that Jesse got his poz diagnosis as he turned 19, after having sex with men in their 30's. Somehow that almost smacks of pedophilia. Those men took advantage of his naiveté and the magazine may have too :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:05 pm »
What this comes down to, for me, is that Poz magazine decided to do a "fluff" article.  No delving into details about having HIV, how it was acquired, or what the consequences may be.  It is something that would be right at home in "People" or "Us".  I realize not every article will be in-depth, but I think the cover story should be.

Poz magazine's leadership and editorial board are free to take the publication in whatever direction they like.  I am free to provide them feedback here, and say that I would have expected more from Poz.

Note that I am not saying that Jesse is fluff, just that the article is fluff.  Yes, it is true that is it quite an accomplishment to have the guts to out one's self on a magazine cover as HIV+.  That could be said of anyone who appeared on the cover.  In my opinion, the writer and editors could have done more.

I can only guess how Poz magazine select the subjects for their covers:  they have got to be attention-getting, be relevant to the readership, and represent a new / unique angle on HIV and AIDS.  This cover accomplished the first;  the second I am not so sure about, and the last, not so much. 

If Poz magazine is interested in putting a 43-year old software development manager on their cover, they are free to contact me.  The high-tech face of HIV -- there's an angle for you!   ::)   

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2007, 01:46:20 pm »
The article also bothered me with another, more subtle, issue that was glossed over.  It states that Jesse got his poz diagnosis as he turned 19, after having sex with men in their 30's.

I agree with Matty and Leatherman that Poz missed an opportunity to delve into an angle of the story that would have made it more interesting and relevant for many readers:  how did such a young man become infected, and what does he think would have prevented it?

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline dixieman

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2007, 02:03:03 pm »
Well all I can say is, its sad... I've read everyones point of views... I'll read the article for this month... but, I do not think its going to digest well with me. So I'll wait and state... No Comment!

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:16 pm »
I agree with Matty and Leatherman that Poz missed an opportunity to delve into an angle of the story that would have made it more interesting and relevant for many readers:  how did such a young man become infected, and what does he think would have prevented it?

I'm not sure whether these questions would make the story more interesting or relevant. After all, POZ magazine is written for people who have already tested positive.

However, if the story had appeared in a mainstream magazine, a magazine targeted at a younger or a latino crowd, then it would have made a stronger impact, at least it would raise a good portion of awareness.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2007, 02:28:14 pm »
I'm not sure whether these questions would make the story more interesting or relevant. After all, POZ magazine is written for people who have already tested positive.

However, if the story had appeared in a mainstream magazine, a magazine targeted at a younger or a latino crowd, then it would have made a stronger impact, at least it would raise a good portion of awareness.

Cerrie-
The article has nothing to do with prevention or awareness. It's about desperation. The desperation of a young man who'll do anything to be a celebrity and the ruthless ambition of an editor who uses his desperation to push magazines (and advertising dollars) at the expense of the young man's future privacy.

Of course he found Ms Hoffman and Ms Chew charming and accepting. That's how they got him to expose himself so completely. Jessie seems to consider himself a spokesmodel for HIV and the Fabulous Life. The first time he finds himself chained to a toilet for a week or begins to notice how the therapy that is saving his life is also savaging his appearance it will not seem quite so glamorous.

And at that lonely and terrifying time, will either of the heartless, greedy harridans who have exploited his diagnosis be around to comfort him or offer any support?
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2007, 02:36:22 pm »
Ms Chew seems to go out of her way to almost excuse Jesus' infection because he lacked the maturity to deal with relationships with older men. Yet no where in the article does she ever mention his father or the type of relationship they have or don't have. We get a pretty good glimpse in such a short article of the mother/son dynamic, but I am curious why no mention of dad.
I also wondered why she didn't ask, what type of post diagnosis counseling Jesus received. Was he left to his own devices to sort this all out by spending a week at Starbuck's with his obviously HIV naive gal pals. What message does this send to other youngsters?
Finally, if the purpose of this article was to show how Jesus planned to use his new found status to help his peers. Why in the world didn't Ms Chew ask Jesus what advice he might like to give to someone Hiv negative or positive that might be reading the article?  

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2007, 02:41:30 pm »

Finally, if the purpose of this article was to show how Jesus planned to use his new found status to help his peers. Why in the world didn't Ms Chew ask Jesus what advice he might like to give to someone Hiv negative or positive that might be reading the article?  

Exactly.  As in...if he would like to be a spokesperson to youth about HIV, what different sort of approach does he plan to deliver in an effort to get the prevention message heard- since clearly none of what is out there now worked for him.

The article has nothing to do with prevention or awareness. It's about desperation. The desperation of a young man who'll do anything to be a celebrity and the ruthless ambition of an editor who uses his desperation to push magazines (and advertising dollars) at the expense of the young man's future privacy.

Sure enough:  If you google Jesus Sanchez + HIV, he comes up immediately.  More power to him if he is really ready for that type of exposure.  I certainly hope so because it is out there now for good.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2007, 02:56:11 pm »
will either of the heartless, greedy harridans who have exploited his diagnosis be around to comfort him or offer any support?

Bucko -- criticising the editorial decisions of POZ magazine is fair game, but impugning the character of two women I consider friends, who are also members of these forums, is crossing way over the line.  I know Regan and Sally well, and consider them colleagues in the fight against AIDS.  You do not know them.  You seem to have one massive chip on your shoulder, and it's making you look very, very small.

Since they are members of the forums, consider yourself warned.

Peter

Offline dixieman

« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2007, 02:57:20 pm »
off the subject one moment please... thunter34 good pic with the hat but, I really liked the one with you looking down and the shirt off... it reminded me of good times... lol everyone has made such good points on this topic...

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »

Wow.  They are?  I don't think I've ever seen a single post from either one of them.  Anyone got links?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2007, 03:06:30 pm »
Peter, if we promise to play nice maybe you could extend an invitation to Ms Chew to address the forum regarding her article?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:10:50 pm by Dachshund »

Offline David_CA

« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2007, 03:06:52 pm »
To clarify somethings...

Attention: I don't lack any.

That's for sure!  It's especially telling since YOU started this thread.  Spilling beans... girl, you dumped them on the stage.  While I certainly appreciate the fact that one can be so open about being gay (it sounds like it's pretty obvious) and HIV+ (not so obvious - yet), some things are lacking from all your posts, while other things are there in (over)abundance.  

I don't see you showing a lot of respect or concern for anybody 'cept yourself.  You say your friends care so much about you, but what do you do for them?  Grace them with your presence?  I don't see respect for others.  How about this for disrespect:
If you take care of yourself, eat right, workout, and put your health first you can maintain your health and that is exactly what I do.
Come on, do you even read what others post?  I'm one of the ones that take care of myself (as do many), work out (as do many), and put my health first (as do most of us), yet we're still suffering from this disease and from the medications that keep us alive.  I consider myself very fortunate because I have good insurance coverage, good health, and a great support system, but you wouldn't know that unless you read and paid attention to what I (and others) post.  It's certainly not something to appear to be bragging about.  I'm not of the 'dooms day' mindset, but a reality check is definitely in order here.  

I do see  too much of is 'me, me, me, ... I know it all... I'll never... I'm so lucky... It'll never happen to me (it did, though, didn't it?), they'd never leave me, they love me, etc.  Where are your peers... guys your age?  I assume when you call them 'girls' that they really are girls and not just queeny chicken.  Who are you helping when you're not being served?  

It wont go to my head.. Thats what its all about breaking the stereotypes!!!
At least you succeeded in this, I suppose.  I mean about breaking stereotypes.  And that does what for the HIV+ readers of POZ®?  Hell, I don't meet the current infection demographics, and yet I'm HIV+.  Wow.  So not newsworthy.

I don't think I got my points across well... like Brent, I puked a little in my mouth, and it's distracting.  Oh, and how about explaining to Tim, one of my favorite people here, why what he said was hateful.

David (who thinks a little humility goes a long way)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2007, 03:08:31 pm »
Bucko -- criticising the editorial decisions of POZ magazine is fair game, but impugning the character of two women I consider friends, who are also members of these forums, is crossing way over the line.  I know Regan and Sally well, and consider them colleagues in the fight against AIDS.  You do not know them.  You seem to have one massive chip on your shoulder, and it's making you look very, very small.

Peter

Peter-
Duly noted.

But what is your take on the cover story?
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2007, 03:18:31 pm »
Oh, and how about explaining to Tim, one of my favorite people here, why what he said was hateful.

I love you more than ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, I'd like to hear what Sally and Peter- and perhaps even Regan would have to say about the article.

I'd be interested in reading some of Sally and Regan's posts here since I've learned they are members.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2007, 03:36:30 pm »
Dear All,

I think a lot of thoughtful observations have been voiced here about the article and about serious HIV issues. There have also been a few unworthy potshots and snappings like Jesse being called a bug chaser, an evaluation for which I don't see any clear evidence. I'll leave that alone now since Peter addressed it directly.

Now Jesse might not even want this kind of intervention on my part, but I'm going to say it anyway. He's a provocative teenager and all that can entail at times. 

I would just ask some continued forbearance from members in commenting to or about him. That doesn't mean you shouldn't express something about the magazine or the article if you feel the need to. Just remember Jesse's a 19 year-old-kid, whether he likes being identified that way or not by me.

There are a lot of heavyweights among us here so please consider before launching any (further) missiles. 

Thanks for your cooperation,
Andy Velez

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2007, 03:39:57 pm »

[And yes, I'd like to hear what Sally and Peter- and perhaps even Regan would have to say about the article.]

tick tock tick tock

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2007, 04:14:55 pm »
[And yes, I'd like to hear what Sally and Peter- and perhaps even Regan would have to say about the article.]

tick tock tick tock

You can tick tock away.  Given the nature of the dialogue thus far, I've advised them not to reply.  I wouldn't wish this thread on my worst enemy.  If folks want to do something constructive about POZ's editorial decisions, I'd advise them to send constructive comments to letters@poz.com, where readers submit letters to the editor for possible publication.

Peter

Offline David_CA

« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2007, 04:28:33 pm »
You can tick tock away.  Given the nature of the dialogue thus far, I've advised them not to reply.  I wouldn't wish this thread on my worst enemy.  If folks want to do something constructive about POZ's editorial decisions, I'd advise them to send constructive comments to letters@poz.com, where readers submit letters to the editor for possible publication.

Peter

Peter,

Perhaps you can advise them to post from time to time.  A post asking for input, what effects our lives, what would get US to read the magazine would work wonders.  Sample post from POZ® in these forums:  "Forum members, we at POZ® are considering doing an article about HIV discrimination in the workplace.  We'd like to hear your stories and what you've done to overcome this discrimination."  Distancing themselves from the folks they intend to market doesn't benefit anybody, unless POZ® is just a vehicle for drug advertisements in Dr. offices, etc. This isn't meant as a criticism of you or anybody, but a suggestion. I don't want to see myself or letters in print, but would like to see 'our' community served a bit better.  Thanks.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.