Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 368
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: any body hade the same sideeffects?  (Read 8269 times)

Offline badluck

any body hade the same sideeffects?
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:32:42 am »
I am on (Combivir and Kaletra ) since 2 months ago ( 2 pils of Comovir and 4 pills of Kaletra) since that time I am vomiting (throwing up ) once every two or three days .

This is normal side effects? Should I change my med? Did anybody face the same side effects? What I have to do?
BTW before starting med my CD4 was 188 and my VL 79000 after 2 months on the above regime my CD4 370 and my VL undetected.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: any body hade the same sideeffects?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:03:28 am »
No, that's not a common side effect.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline badluck

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:22:14 am »
do you think its psychological state ?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:38:48 pm »
Personally, I think it could be normal for Combivir.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

- matt

And to narrow it down a little further.  I would guess it's the AZT portion of Combivir.

I was only on AZT briefly, but even that brief period of time, it was a difficult drug for me to handle.  Made me weak, tired, and nauseous.

Are you on any other medication besides these HIV medications?  Do you take you medications with, or without food?

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:45:45 pm »

- matt

And how the hell are you describing "normal" in this case? 80 patients out of 100?

I took AZT for years and never got more than an occasional headache.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »
And how the hell are you describing "normal" in this case? 80 patients out of 100?

Since when are you the poster boy for normalcy?

I've heard of plenty of people over the years who complained of nausea and/or vomiting in connection with both Combivir and Kaletra.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »

Lucky you. Nausea etc on AZT is common enough. If you think otherwise get thee back in the cookie jar.

- matt

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »
Since when are you the poster boy for normalcy?

I've heard of plenty of people over the years who complained of nausea and/or vomiting in connection with both Combivir and Kaletra.

I don't debate that, but a handful of individuals doesn't merit the word "normal": 1 conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or

So put up or shut up... like you've even taken this med.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
Lucky you. Nausea etc on AZT is common enough. If you think otherwise get thee back in the cookie jar.

- matt

Nausea doesn't always result in vomiting on a daily basis, now does it Matthew?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »
This is the only combo I've ever had major issues with.  My doctor assured me the symptoms would lessen over time but they didn't. After 6 months of being constantly sick from that combo, I insisted my doctor change it and I was granted immediate alleviation of those symptoms.

Discuss the different options available with your doctor. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline newt

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »
AZT is noted for stomach upsets and even though frequent vomiting is at the extreme end, it's counterfactual to discount the possibility that it is the meds, particularly for AZT and ritonavir as 100s of people here know from personal experience. Especially if this started on taking meds.  Clearly it might be sommat else and this bears investigation, but these meds, stomach, tis a fair point. Give it up and let the OP have his/her thread back.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »
By your own words, "extreme end" isn't by any definition something one would describe as "normal" which is what the OP asked. Certainly I have never discounted that it is something that can occur on this medication. The bottom line is that if a patient is vomiting every other day the doctor should offer the patient an alternative regimen. In that respect it's anything but "normal".

Give it up? Please -- you're chasing tails as much as anyone. Also, please note that "sommat" isn't a word.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:32:40 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »
Also, please note that "sommat" isn't a word.

Neither is "O HAI".

:P
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline newt

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 06:59:13 pm »
Taking AZT is not "normal" in the first place, serious stomach upsets is within the "normal" range of AZT adverse events, and what you just said about an alternative regimen is neither concurrent with the comment you first made, nor reflective of the comments you subsequently made. So give way.

I am glad AZT was sommat easy for you to take.

I agree with your new bottom line about a different combo being a good idea.

- matt

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »
Taking AZT is not "normal" in the first place

Agreed, and since he's taking it with Kaletra I made the assumption that he's in a non-EU, non-US environment with less treatment choices. So in that respect if my assumption is correct it could be kindasortasommat normal.

Offline badluck

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:29 am »
I am from Middle East I don’t have a lot of choices to change my combo, so I think I have to take the same combo regardless of the mentioned side effects.

So I don’t know what to do, I will try to take my combo without food or to take any other med beside my combo to help my stomach.

My stomach is very tired. My Dr said you have to get used to this side effects , I don’t know if this is right ? 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 07:51:23 am »
It's true that in general your body gets used to the medication during the first 1-4 weeks and side effects either disappear or are greatly more reasonable. But you are having what I'd call a more severe reaction if you are vomiting every other day.

One of our members here swears that nausea can be tamed by taking a fresh lemon, slicing it, and then when you are having nausea to hold the lemon up to your nose until the feeling passes.

If it's the AZT in combivir causing the nausea, and seeing as how you are in the Middle East, what other NRTI class medications are available for use? Is Epzicom available?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:08 am »

So I don’t know what to do, I will try to take my combo without food or to take any other med beside my combo to help my stomach.

You may want to try experimenting with the food, and see if that gives you some relief. But continue mentioning this to your doctor.  Have you lost any weight?

Are you taking other medications?  The reason  I ask, is to see if there may be some interactions between those other meds/herbs/etc,  and the Kaletra.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Kaletra_1559.shtml

The following medications should not be taken while you are being treated with Kaletra:
Acid reflux/heartburn medications: Propulsid (cisapride)
Antibiotics: Rifadin (rifampin)
Antimigraine medications: Ergostat, Cafergot, Ercaf, Wigraine (ergotamine) or D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine)
Pulmonary hypertension medications: sildenafil (Revatio)
Cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins): Zocor (simvastatin) and Mevacor (lovastatin)
Antipsychotics: Orap (pimozide)
Sedatives: Versed (midazolam) and Halcion (triazolam)
Enlarged prostate: Uroxatral (alfuzosin)

Ray
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:09:19 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:01 am »
Also, please note that "sommat" isn't a word.

It is where we live and it's normal for people to use it. :P

Badluck, you may want to look into whether or not you may be able to obtain a different combo via mail-order. There are plenty of mail-order pharmacies out there who will ship generic meds at a fairly low cost. If you are able to get mail-order meds in your country and your doctor is willing to issue you prescriptions for other meds, that may be the way to go. Good luck. Constant nausea - with or without the vomiting - is a horrible thing to have to live with.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:39 am »
It is where we live and it's normal for people to use it. :P

LOL,... Yes , I've used it." I can't wait to go mountain hiking so I can get to the sommat."   ;D

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:31:07 am »
It's a sad day when the English can't speak English.

Offline badluck

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:23 am »

Thank you for your support , i appreciate it :) :) :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:51 am »

LOL,... Yes , I've used it." I can't wait to go mountain hiking so I can get to the sommat."   ;D

Ray, you're such a card. ;)

It's a sad day when the English can't speak English.

Like an American would have any idea what proper English sounds like. :P

Thank you for your support , i appreciate it :) :) :)

Honey, that's what we're here for. That and throwing the occasional light-hearted barbs at each other. ;D

What do you think of the mail-order meds idea? Do you think you could afford it and do you think your doctor may help you out?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 07:00:19 am »

Like an American would have any idea what proper English sounds like. :P

Hey, you're the one with the fake Manx brogue, not me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:19 am »
Hey, you're the one with the fake Manx brogue, not me.

Nothing fake about my accent, oh Bald One. I often get mistaken for southern Irish, and occasionally Canadian. Rarely do people realise I'm a Yank. I was asked last night by someone I just met "where is that odd accent from?" My daughter definitely has a Manx accent though - or to be more precise, a Peel accent. Yes, even on this tiny Rock you can often tell what part of the island a person was raised in. 

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.