Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:52:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 588
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tomorrow will disclose Poz status to my sister.  (Read 3747 times)

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
Tomorrow will disclose Poz status to my sister.
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:17 am »
J've been Poz over 3 year now... and my family doesn't know.
All my gay friends do but no family members.

Tomorrow I'm going to disclose my status to my sister. I know she will be supportive, but just didn't want to cause her pain/worry.
I told her this week that I wanted to talk to her and my brother-in-law at the same time... not only is my brother-in-law a great guy, I wanted to make sure he was home to offer her support, if needed... They are expecting me at around 5pm.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Tomorrow will disclose Poz status to my sister.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:28:22 am »
Hey Mauricio,

I hope all goes well. People often take the news better than you might think.

:-*

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:37:44 am »
I'm sure it will go fine.  Do you get a free dinner out of it?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:44:45 am »
I'm sure it will go fine.  Do you get a free dinner out of it?

They just came back from Brazil... So I hope I'm going to get some Brazilian goodies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:54:38 am »
They just came back from Brazil... So I hope I'm going to get some Brazilian goodies.

Pickled foreskin with fromunda cheese hopefully.  Save me a sample.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:55:04 am »

You can't speak of Central or South America this late, you'll have her up all night.

I'm sure the disclosure will go just fine.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:07:56 am »
J've been Poz over 3 year now... and my family doesn't know.
All my gay friends do but no family members.

I hope it goes well.  I'm in the same boat you are.  My friends know, but not most of my family.  I see it as a "need to know" item, and at this point I don't see why they *need* to know.  I don't know the details of their medical issues and mine are under control to the point where I plan to outlive them.  I don't want to bother them with what I see as "my problem."  Now, in my case my family lives quite a distance from me, so it's not like they are involved in my daily life.  My mother works with me, so she knows..... but my Dad and step mother, do not.  Again, just not something I think is important.  If I heard them make an inappropriate comment I would probably tell them on the spot.... but that's another story altogether.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 10:31:01 am »
hugs and best wishes! ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 12:00:28 am »
Well I told my sister and BL about my Poz status. My sister cried a bit... as I expected. We hugged and I reassured her that in general my health was great... VL undetectable and doing great on meds.
I did bring my bottle of Atripla with me... so I could show them a pill,  I think it helped give them a visual that at least for me being a newbie on meds, my treatment option was easy to take and not as frightening as it was years ago.

She knows it's a chronic and serious condition, that needs a lot of monitoring... but by the time we had dinner and we talked about her trip to Brazil, the air wasn't heavy any more and I felt like I was outside of the HIV closet.

She made me promise to never hide any future complications / treatment failures I might have... She wants to be a part of my HIV status. I love her. (next time I visit my brother in Brazil... I'm going to disclose to him and my nieces, my sister thinks I should and so do I).

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:57 am »
That's great to hear how well it went.  Good for you :)

Offline djayp

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »
what a great story to read, glad it went well - I'm sure it will be just fine eventually with your brother as well!
---
5/26/10 - Poz
6/16/10 - CD4 276, VL 20,000, 20%
7/28/10 - began Atripla
8/25/10 - CD4 291, VL 211, 23%
12/13/10 - CD4 370, VL UD, % unknown
4/18/11 - CD4 390, VL UD % unknown
4/17/12 -CD4 344, VL UD 29%

Offline Nashvegas

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »
Good for you.  I haven't told any of my family members, because I don't think they "need" to know, but I think it's wonderful that you got a favorable response...  I'll admit that a part of me wishes that my family members knew. 
8/12/06 - sero-conversion
9/14/06 -- Positive Test results confirmed
9/21/06 -- CD4 - 586; viral load 8,000; 29%
12/25/06 -- CD4 - 373; VL 2,800; 23%
2/10/07 - CD4 - 228; VL 865; 25%
3/15/07 -  CD4 - 365 (no viral load test)
5/1/07 = CD4 - 341; VL 4,358; 27%
8/1/07 - CD4 - 315; VL - 2,300; 25%
9/20/07 - CD4 - 378
11/22/07 - CD4 - 257; VL 7,300;
2/27/08 - CD4 231 (16.5 %), VL 5,960
5/20/08 - CD4 229 (18.3%), VL 11,100
6/17/08 - CD4 166 (14.5%), VL 9,030
6/17/08 - STARTED VIRAMUNE + TRUVADA
7/2/08 - CD4 272 (20%), VL 113  :-)
7/16/08 - CD4 -217 (21.1 %), VL - Undetectable
7/30/08 - CD4 - 220 (20.4%). VL - 92
8/14/08 - CD4 - 280 (22%) VL-undetectable
1/04/09 - CD4 - 250 (28%) VL-UD
5/15/09 - CD4 -393 (28%) VL-UD
8/15/09 - CD4-346, (26%) VL-UD
11/15/09 - CD4-373 (28%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.