Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:31:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 179
Total: 180

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada mail order issue - moisture sensitivity ?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Truvada mail order issue - moisture sensitivity ?
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:59:24 am »
The Kaiser pharmacy has been short-changing me on my Truvada refills. My benefit is supposed to be for 100 days at a time for one copay. But they always send me 90 only (3 bottles of 30).
They claim that this is because Truvada is moisture sensitive and will only last 30 days once the container is open, and they do not want to open any bottles. The result has been that I run out of Truvada much before all the other meds.

If I go to the local pharmacy at Kaiser, they will open it and give me 100. It just takes more time to go there and I wish I could get all my meds mail order.

Does anyone else have the same issue with getting Truvada refills mail-order ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Truvada mail order issue - moisture sensitivity ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:37:55 am »
Each bottle contains a packet of moisture-absorbing preservative so yes, it's obviously sensitive to moisture in the form of humidity.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BM

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:30 am »
Can you get a fourth bottle every third refill so that it works out the same as if you'd been getting the full 100 tabs?

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »
Each bottle contains a packet of moisture-absorbing preservative so yes, it's obviously sensitive to moisture in the form of humidity.

Apparently the local pharmacy stopped opening bottles too, so I only got 90 truvada yesterday, sigh.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
Can you get a fourth bottle every third refill so that it works out the same as if you'd been getting the full 100 tabs?

If I have a big fight with the pharmacists I can. But the problem is not so much the money as the annoyance of not being able to get all my meds at the same time. I have 6 other prescriptions for which I can get 100 days at a time, including Isentress. But for the Truvada it has to be refilled every 90.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:57:16 pm »
Truvada cost 50$ a bottle in some countries. And most are very nice to visit.
BTW, nice to read u madbrain !

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »
Truvada cost 50$ a bottle in some countries. And most are very nice to visit.
BTW, nice to read u madbrain !

My copay is supposed to be $10 for 100 day supply for brand name. Same whether it's in person or mail order. So we are talking about 3 vs 4 copays per year, or $10 difference, it's negligible.

But the problem is I that can't order all my meds at once. It's especially a problem for the Isentress and Truvada, which must be taken together. It's happened many times that I ran short of Truvada because of this issue, while I still had Isentress left. I never missed a dose of Truvada, but repeatedly I didn't have enough to fill the next week's pillbox.

I suppose the solution is to get 90 day refills for all 7 meds instead of 90 days. But at that point the extra copays do start to add up.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »
My copay is supposed to be $10 for 100 day supply for brand name. Same whether it's in person or mail order. So we are talking about 3 vs 4 copays per year, or $10 difference, it's negligible.

But the problem is I that can't order all my meds at once. It's especially a problem for the Isentress and Truvada, which must be taken together. It's happened many times that I ran short of Truvada because of this issue, while I still had Isentress left. I never missed a dose of Truvada, but repeatedly I didn't have enough to fill the next week's pillbox.

I suppose the solution is to get 90 day refills for all 7 meds instead of 90 days. But at that point the extra copays do start to add up.

Some mail order programs are moving towards a system where they will automatically refill prescriptions for chronic conditions.  Last year mine was set up as a box you checked on the web site; this year they actively pursue you if you didn't check the box.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to see if the Kaiser mail order system has a way to automatically reorder.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:41 pm »
Assurbanipal,

Some mail order programs are moving towards a system where they will automatically refill prescriptions for chronic conditions.  Last year mine was set up as a box you checked on the web site; this year they actively pursue you if you didn't check the box.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to see if the Kaiser mail order system has a way to automatically reorder.

I wish. Unfortunately, Kaiser doesn't have any way to do automatic reorder on the kp.org website.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.