Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:40:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 525
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: adherance  (Read 5243 times)

Offline blackbeauty40

adherance
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:39:47 am »
Hi, I have a quick question. I was put on Norvir, Truvada and Reyataz about 2 months ago (completely new to meds). I was (and still am) having a very hard time dealing with having to take them. I stopped taking them for about a week because my depression was really bad and I just didn't feel like it was worth it. I was wondering if I have messed myself up by not taking the meds for that week or can I go back to taking them as scheduled?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: adherance
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:27 am »
You may have messed things up, but then again you may not have.  There's no way to tell until you have tests run that show what your viral load is doing.  Depression related adherence issues are the number one cause for treatment failure if I recall correctly, so it's best to get a handle on this earlier rather than later.  What are you doing to treat your depression?  Until you get that resolved you're just going to continue, possibly, to have adherence issues.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:37:43 am »
As Miss P said, it's very hard to know whether or not your treatment interruption caused you to develop any resistance to your meds.

I'm not sure what the protocol is in a situation like this: either just go back on them and see what happens or get a resistance test first before going back on them? Something to discuss with your doctor, or you can try asking Dr. Gallant or one of the doctors on thebody.com

LINKS:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/index.html

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/q_a/index.html?categoryId=9352&siteId=7151

I know you didn't ask for a lecture so please don't take it the wrong way but I feel I have to add more here, out of sincere concern for you as well as for anyone else in a similar situation who might be reading this.

We are living at a point in history in which HIV can be managed with drugs that are, for the most part, very tolerable. If you allow your depression to get the best of you, it becomes a very slippery slope to developing heavy resistance to your HIV meds and severely limiting your options, which then very much complicates your situation and worsens your prognosis.

Please try and get a handle on the underlying issues here, if you think you're depressed now, you'll be much more so in a few short years if you find yourself unnecessarily on salvage therapy and with few options.

Not to belittle your predicament but this reminds me of when kids don't want to eat and their parents tell them how lucky they are to have food since there are so many starving children in Africa. Can you imagine how many people who have HIV in Africa (and some even in the United States!) don't have the luxury of having access to Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir?

Check out this link (I mean it in the best possible way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:05:32 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:58:17 am »
This brings up a very interesting question: if someone stopped meds, how long should he/she wait until having a genotyping done to see if the virus had developed a resistence to it?  Would it show up right away, couple days later, weeks, months?

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:00:08 am »
I stopped taking sustiva and truvada for about 10 months due to depression and drug abuse once . My doctor put me back on the same drugs when I was ready and I became undetectable within a month . I do not know if this is typical or I was just lucky .

I did pay a heck of a price for my drug holiday though . I had been successfully treated for Kaposi sarcoma up until the point of the drug holiday . It came back with a vengeance and I had to deal with that all over again . I will not interrupt my treatment plan again , it was a huge mistake that I regret .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:01 am »
This brings up a very interesting question: if someone stopped meds, how long should he/she wait until having a genotyping done to see if the virus had developed a resistence to it?  Would it show up right away, couple days later, weeks, months?

Mum

It would depend on how long it took them to become detectable again. I forget exactly how high the VL needs to be before they can run the tests, but something tells me it's around 1,000.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:14 pm »
Ann, so as soon as the vl was detectable again, labs would show resistence?  That is very interesting.  Thanks!
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:16:01 am »
Ann, so as soon as the vl was detectable again, labs would show resistence?  That is very interesting.  Thanks!

Well, yes, detectable, but not just barely detectable. Thing is, when there is resistance, it will be the resistant virus that will be replicating, so it should show on the tests. There has to be enough of it about though.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:28 am »
I'm not sure how wide scale this practice is, but I've heard of patients and doctors intentionally waiting for the viral load to get to 1000 (or maybe it's 1500 -- I forget the cut off number) so that they can get a clear geno/pheno lab report.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 10:34:23 am »
There could also be "archived" mutations that don't always show up, but for the most part resistance can be detected once there is enough of a viral load (>1000 copies/mL).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:56:57 am »
Missy, Inch, thanks, guys. I'm also pretty sure the VL needs to be at least 1000, as I mentioned the other day.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:46:49 pm »
Yep, Ann, you and the others are correct.

My doctor and I had this discussion. I was curious whether I could have a GART done. He said I couldn't because I was undetectable, adding I needed a viral load of at least 1,000 before they could perform the test.

I had asked because I have never had the test done. I have no intention of stopping meds just to have it done.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »

I had asked because I have never had the test done. I have no intention of stopping meds just to have it done.

Just to be clear, that was not the intention of my statement.  It's more along the line that if one sees say a 600 viral load one would let it go up to 1000 over the next couple of weeks to get the geno/phenotype tests done before switching medication.  Of course it would be silly to try and do this with a suppressed viral load.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.